Menu

do you ever find a blog that makes you jealous/ forlorn/ envious?

butterflymommy

:eek:

That blows my mind. Gosh, I wonder why we have such a prescription drug problem in this country when even mothers are taking their kids' pills? :willy_nilly:

And Shame on the doctors who keep prescribing them to kids that don't need it...how do these kids pass a blood test if their mom is taking the meds???

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right?? And how she shows off her gorgeous self and 10-inch waist in every post? Gah!!!! She talks all the time about women not being judgmental, I guess because she has experienced that quite a bit (umm, I wonder why, LOL)

I cannot believe she has so many children and no butt! LOL. I have a friend who is like that -- lots of kids, no butt, everyone is gorgeous. How do they do that?!! :) I am not jealous. Envious, maybe.

I like Pioneer Woman although I don't read it too often. Ree strikes me as someone who is pretty down to earth. She could easily live a much swankier life but doesn't appear to. She also looks like my friend Dee, which makes me think Ree and Dee should meet. LOL.

I do read one blog regularly and that is The Lettered Cottage. Awesome creative ideas for doing things on a dime and Layla and Kevin, the writers (married to each other) are very sweet. I hope they eventually get a show on HGTV or a magazine...or something!

As for Singapore, a good friend of mine grew up there. It is very clean because they take littering seriously, to an extreme. You just don't litter there.

And Shame on the doctors who keep prescribing them to kids that don't need it...how do these kids pass a blood test if their mom is taking the meds???

I worked at a therapist office. We never had a psych ask for blood work on a child taking Ritalin. We also had a woman bring in a 2 year old (normal 2 year old really). The psych refused to prescribe the Ritalin the mom was asking for. Said he was not ADHD. A couple weeks later the mom called and chewed me out (since I was who answered the phone) and said her son WAS ADHD and she took him somewhere else to get him diagnosed and medicated. The psych just shook his head and said he knew she'd do that when he refused. So, yes, shame on the doctors prescribing unneeded meds. It happens too often.

Ritalin is more or less like speed to someone who doesn't medically need it. These moms are insane. The abuse to their bodies is really not okay. And illegal.

I know more than a few moms like that...right in my neighborhood. I have parties very similar to the one in her blog. I enjoy doing them, and my family loves it, too. I promise it doesn't take a team of people to pull it off...it's much easier than it looks.

Some people are just naturally creative and need to express that. One of my goals is to do something creative and personally fulfilling every single day. Today it is working on a cross stitch project. Tomorrow I'm spray painting an old chandelier for my new home office space that I get now, since my dd is getting married and her old room is MINE! Tuesday, I'm refinishing some cool old picture frames for parties and for a project I want to do with burlap so I can put them on my family room wall in a collage. Saturday is a baby shower for a friend of mine, and it will be over the top, because I love doing that.

Check out a bunch of other parties that will put the one in that blog to shame at www.karaspartyideas.com And Kara is a real person, and a real mom who lives about an hour from me.

Be creative. Embrace it. Strive for excellence in all you do. It's fun!

Oh, here are the burlap picture frames. Aren't they easy? Just frame some padded burlap and then you can change what you put inside as often as you want.

1c109388c8c18b901b08c0f8235775b9_zpsaa5d6502.jpg

Agreed. I also know several moms who DO live like that. A lot of people accuse Mormon Mommy Blogs of being fake, but I am Mormon and I have been to events like that. I visit their homes. :) some people really do it all. :) I LOVE blogs that give me great ideas and give me inspiration for my goals.

I don't really as I try to be happy for people who are doing well and are contributing positively to society. It makes the world a better place. :)

And I agree with Diane. Some people, not including me, just exude creativity. They must create. I'm not very creative at all, but I sure appreciate people who are, because they give me ideas to copy. They also create things for me. I have a friend who is gorgeous, runs half marathons, homeschools her kids with excellence, and is creative out the ying yang. She is also incredibly giving and helps so many people in so many ways. God didn't create me to be like her, but I sure benefit from her friendship!

BTW, Diane, I love that frame idea! I might have to copy it! :)

Yes, it is the business of selling your children's personal life and privacy for money.

This is a big issue I have with blogging in general. Probably 99% of blogs don't make any money at all. (Mine gets between 150-200 hits a day and makes about $250 a year). So no, it's not worth selling my children's privacy over. Not even if was $2 million a year.

I change my kids' names, and don't show their pictures, but still I worry.

I do think blogs can be powerful ways to share ideas about education. I've learned A LOT from reading other blogs. Hopefully other people learn from mine too.

Blog reading is also a great way to "meet" people from other walks of life, other parts of the world, and other faith backgrounds. I really appreciate that a lot.

Will I ever read as many books as Dangermom does on Howling Frogs Books? No. Does that bother me? No way. I'm inspired.

I just had a look at that resolved2worship blog, and read the Easter party thread.

If I am speechless it's only because what I would like to say is quite pointed and harsh, and would probably devastate that woman if she ever dropped by here and found us all talking about her. So I will refrain from comment except to just say I hope she'll rethink the whole experiment.

Must not ask Tibbie to let loose with it. Must not ask Tibbie to let loose with it. No one has ever died of curiosity, Rivka. Must not ask Tibbie to let loose with it...

I've run across blogs that made me wish for x to be different, but I know that for the most part my life is the result of choices I have made and I've made choices to put my time and resources toward what is important to me. I don't wish another person's life. I like my own and have put my time and resources toward what is most important to me. I don't think blogs are fake. They may focus on the positive which is what they should do, IMHO, if they are talking about their kids. I know I have found some awesome ideas on other blogs and I like seeing day to day homeschooling in different homes.

I know I've received negative comments about my blog before. They aren't all the same too. Apparently, sometimes I do too much. Sometimes I don't do enough. Sometimes I'm not religious enough or crazy because I am a Christian. Sometimes I turn people off and sometimes my posts give ideas to others. It is like life. You can't please everyone.

My blog is pretty much an online scrapbook and account of our schooling. I've even used it as proof to the government that we are homeschooling since we have no regulations here and I've needed official school documents on more than one occasion. Mostly though I enjoy blogging so I continue to do it. I've been doing it about 4 years now and it is fun to look back at younger days.

As far as pictures go, I really like it when blogs have pictures. My little camera and my creative self don't exactly come together to make beautiful pictures, but beautiful pictures are nice to view. I rarely read blogs without pictures - those seem less real to me ;)

I don't have a problem with the privacy issue either. When I owned and ran an online retail business when my kids were small I used my kids as models for some of the products. I also don't have problems with a homeschooling mom trying to earn a little extra money. Many homeschoolers live on one income and that can make things rather tight. If my reading or clicking help her out a little than that is a good thing.

Must not ask Tibbie to let loose with it. Must not ask Tibbie to let loose with it. No one has ever died of curiosity, Rivka. Must not ask Tibbie to let loose with it...

Rivka's blog Tinderbox is another one that I've really learned a lot from. IRL I don't know anyone who is Unitarian, but I always read Rivka's UU heroes posts with interest. Does that make me hate her? No. ;)

When people are talking about the Singapore blog, do they mean Health Freak Mommy?

I know I've received negative comments about my blog before. They aren't all the same too. Apparently, sometimes I do too much. Sometimes I don't do enough. Sometimes I'm not religious enough or crazy because I am a Christian. Sometimes I turn people off and sometimes my posts give ideas to others. It is like life. You can't please everyone.

My blog is pretty much an online scrapbook and account of our schooling.

This! I had received mostly positive feedback and then one day a friend mentioned her and another friend we grew up with were discussing my blog. She said something along the lines of over achieving. My thought was, if I'm overachieving... umm... your bar is kind of low, isn't it? So I guess it's just depends on other people's perspective.

I feel like my blog is real. I don't take beautiful pics. I like messy photos of my kids. I feel like it's REAL homeschooling. Then again it's a tiny blog. I do it because I enjoy it. I don't care if people read it, but knowing a few people have gotten something out of it so far makes me feel good.

I don't feel bad reading other people's blogs. Most of the beautiful ones have more money, more help, and just flat more than I do. They live a different lifestyle. I don't want their lifestyle, I like mine :) I wish there was more TIME in the day so I could do more of the things I want to do, but then again, if I really wanted to do that stuff I could have been doing that instead of reading up on these blogs :p So there's that.

Ok, I'm late coming into this conversation and forgive me for being so shallow, but I just want to know: how does a mum of 8 (if I counted correctly) have the time to look like that, have her kids & house look like that & still have time to photograph & blog? And this is a genuine question; is it simply that some women are that much more organised? We all have the same 24 hours in a day... (I'm not getting into the rights & wrongs of how she spends her time- I'm just thinking maybe she doesn't ever need sleep or something :huh: )

Aaahhhh... never mind. I see this question has come up before :001_smile: glad I'm not the only one thinking this way. I guess it helps to remember we don't always see the full picture when reading blogs.

Ok, I'm late coming into this conversation and forgive me for being so shallow, but I just want to know: how does a mum of 8 (if I counted correctly) have the time to look like that, have her kids & house look like that & still have time to photograph & blog? And this is a genuine question; is it simply that some women are that much more organised? We all have the same 24 hours in a day... (I'm not getting into the rights & wrongs of how she spends her time- I'm just thinking maybe she doesn't ever need sleep or something :huh: )

I think some women really are just naturally more organized and maybe need less sleep than others. I think some people work faster than others at things as well and can truly get more done in the same amount of time. I know if I didn't waste so much time on-line, I could probably do a whole heck of a lot more, but I just don't have the motivation to do so.

Others I think do stuff with an eye to showing off on their blog and are probably not as put together as they seem.

Aaahhhh... never mind. I see this question has come up before :001_smile: glad I'm not the only one thinking this way. I guess it helps to remember we don't always see the full picture when reading blogs.

Yeah, when I see one that is over the top I always wonder what we do that they don't. You can't spend that amount of time on sewing, preparing parties, working out, etc without giving up something. How much time do they get to just BE with their kids. Do they go outside and play with them? Do they go to the nature park and jump in the creek with them? Do they sit without anything else on their mind and read chapters in a novel with them just for fun? Or curl up on the couch and watch the latest dr who ;) These are things I wouldn't trade for all the beautiful blog photos in the world.

The mother of a friend of mine had nine kids and looked fabulous even after the last baby was born. She didn't exercise, didn't wear makeup, no help whatsoever except from her husband (occasionally). She was a genuinely nice person, too. Some people are just luckier in that way.

I know if I didn't waste so much time on-line, I could probably do a whole heck of a lot more, but I just don't have the motivation to do so.

So true. In fact, I need to keep that in mind today so that I'll get some chores done.

I think some bloggers are just frustrated stylists, amateur photographers and writers, DIYers, and so on, and use their blogs in ways they find satisfying. More power to them. If they bug you, stay away from them.

:thumbup: I like this...

As Francis Chan said, "My greatest fear is NOT failure. My greatest fear is being successful at something that doesn't really matter."

In my world, elaborate, ostentatious parties do not really matter. Therefore, I do not feel like a failure for not wasting my time on them.

YMMV

Well,her life isn't that perfect;; shemight even have awful problems you don't want.Blogs arenot reflections of real life.

That said, I have an acquaintance/friend whose blog I stopped reading for my mental health. She's a nice person and has been through a lot, and I don't envy her. It was just this one thing--she likes to plan trips and vacations, which is nice,but she has a tendency to say "I really needed a break,so we took this trip!" About once a month. Look, by all means enjoy your vacations--just don't tell me you NEED them. I haven't been on a vacation with my husband in years! He hasn't had time off in like 7 years.

I think anyone who "needs" a break monthly almost certainly has something going on that they aren't sharing!

I don't really get the impression that it's anything more than skillful and selective photography combined with a source of cute clothing. I haven't looked extensively at that blog, but I do see several posts where she talks about mess in her house. She just doesn't photograph it.

Then again, maybe she's one of those people who apologizes about what a mess their spotless house is because there are a few toys out or some other sign that people actually live there.

I think anyone who "needs" a break monthly almost certainly has something going on that they aren't sharing!

:D I would agree with you, except that a) she's saying it like I might say "I NEED ice cream!" and B) she has no sense of privacy. None. She'll tell you anything. It's a trait that is puzzling, refreshing, and a little disturbing all at once.

Alejandratv makes me feel that way but I am just disfunctional enough to return again and again. The good thing is that I need the info about organizing because I want and need to be organized more and do not have the skills naturally. She seems like a positive healthy person so I don't mind coming up short for the most part. It isn't like she is trying to make me feel inadequate enough on purpose. Lol She does not homeschool or have kids so I have a secret ace or two up my sleeve. Good greif......she isn't my age either so I have twenty years of tired on her.

Only from 1 blog ever and she used to be a member here. She did TOG with her kids before her life changed and she had to put them into school, but back when she was still hsing and posting on her blog all they were doing I would get that feeling from time to time.

It's not blogs for me, but I will admit that, for the first time in all the years I've frequented these boards, I'm having trouble fighting off wistfulness any time I visit the high school or college board. I know, when I take a look at the reality of things here, that we made the right decision to change our educational approach with my son. It's clear to all of us that he's much happier -- and might even be learning something now and then -- with the online classes. We get along better. Blah, blah, blah.

But I miss "real" homeschooling. I miss the planning and researching of materials, which is what would normally be kicking into gear right around this time of year. I miss pre-reading books and writing lesson plans. I miss the excitement of finding a cool field trip opportunity that serendipitously aligns beautifully with whatever we're scheduled to study the following week. I miss reading aloud over breakfast.

At the same time, it has become clear that my son is not going to pursue the academically rigorous path I wanted for him. While, after years of frustration watching him putter around and float through his days without paying much attention to anything, I'm thrilled that he's fallen in love with dance and is showing focus and enthusiasm, I can't help feeling forlorn about what might have been.

Please understand: I'm not in any way "disappointed" in him. I'm proud of him and completely supportive. I totally recognize this as my issue. But it still gives me a pang now and then to read about the journeys other parents are on with their teens.

• 1 month later...
Guest A. Ann

Hi everyone, I'm the resolved2worship person - I actually have a name: Alyssa. Obviously I'm a little late on this thread due to the fact that I just read it today and had to sign up to comment. I have to say that the thread here is way more interesting than any blog I've read in a long time. Not sure if that's because I read so few blogs or because I just can't get over how sweet and kind the bunch of you are. :)

I don't feel jealous/forlorn/or envious. I feel sorry for you. I could go into a long comment in defense of what has been written unkindly, or I could waste my time on explanations - because I've got an explanation for all that seems to "creep" you out. I don't feel a need to explain myself. I don't have to.

The rudeness, the sarcasm, the meanness. . . even lies like me spending everyday working on an Easter party, and other such stupid things. . . seriously? ;) wow.

I have no idea what this forum is or the "well-trained mind community" and what it stands for - from what I can tell it might have something to do with homeschooling??

The truth is, if you saw me in person I'd probably creep you out -- "no butt and size 2" and "ten inch waist" with my "*completely* gussied up" kids (sorry, there wouldn't be a "team" following me to do and help me out as you say. And I don't use photoshop, I play around with my photos now and then in Aperture, check it out, great on mac and less expensive.) You would be sorry to find carry my camera that much and that yes, I do jump in the creek with them and not just sit on the sidelines taking pictures. - and you know what, I'm okay with you thinking I'm creepy. . .

and all the: "If I am speechless it's only because what I would like to say is quite pointed and harsh, and would probably devastate that woman if she ever dropped by here and found us all talking about her. So I will refrain from comment except to just say I hope she'll rethink the whole experiment. . "

I don't fit the norm and people don't understand and I've learned that's life. I've heard a lifetime of harsh and pointed words. From people that are harsh and miserable.

What else I've learned? Is that I don't understand a lot of people either or get them. And that's okay. What matters is love. Loving God, love to our kids, our husband, those around us -- and even those we don't get or understand and blog in a way we don't like - showing love then too. Love to those who say mean things on forums, yes, even now, having a heart of compassion instead of dislike for the women who left these comments here.

I want to encourage you women who left comments in this thread not only in my defense, but even more so, just mature and balanced and kind. You are the ones who give me hope in this world that not all women are haters. Your words show your heart loud and clear and you are the ones I know if I met in person you would radiate peace in your lives. Thank you.

To those who gossiped and slandered me here -- I want you to know that I don't blame your feelings about my blog/pictures/etc. and that you have every right to not like me (the me you don't even know) my pictures, my parties, my kids clothing, etc. I'm cool with that. What I would like to add though is that we women have a choice - we can put down and compete and act like we never left middle school, reject. Or we can motivate, lift up, and be at peace within ourselves by the kind actions and words that we offer to others.

Alyssa

@resolved2worship

Oh UGH. I'm sorry, Alyssa. I take full responsibility as I'm the one who mentioned your blog (although I never linked it and really wish no one had so you didn't have to come and read the comments!).

I fully admit I'm totally jealous and that's why I mentioned you in this post (about feeling envious). I don't think you're creepy, or fake. I think you're amazing and obviously have something I don't! I'm sorry about the comments I made about your size 2 and 10-inch waist.

I'm sorry.

and all the: "If I am speechless it's only because what I would like to say is quite pointed and harsh, and would probably devastate that woman if she ever dropped by here and found us all talking about her. So I will refrain from comment except to just say I hope she'll rethink the whole experiment. . "

Alyssa

@resolved2worship

Alyssa, I'm the one who said I had a strong opinion but would keep it to myself out of regard for your feelings if you came upon this thread. I'm not really ashamed of that. Anything so public as an entirely public blog is open to some discussion and critique, or else why make it public? If you host a public site, you will receive both admiration and criticism. It is the nature of the public square. So while I did not like your blog, I levied no specific criticism and refrained from judging your motives because

1. I didn't know you, and

2. you weren't here to defend yourself.

I do not apologize for my words. They were intended to shield you, a stranger and a fellow mother, even while I expressed my right to react to something online that had been made public to all. I had hoped to steer the conversation back toward more general discussion by saying that I did not want to analyze you lest you be hurt if you ever dropped by here, hoping others might follow that example, and then I bowed out of the thread.

It was my responsibility to be true to my own ethics by setting an example of behavior that I think is correct, but I have no responsibility to encourage others not to critique public works. They have a right to an opinion, even if it isn't a kind one. There's a reason why my own blog is private, and a reason why I do not post photos of my children for strangers online, but those who choose otherwise must anticipate that the consequences might not always be pleasant.

I hope you will forgive those who have hurt you in this discussion, including myself if you still find my words to be hurtful. For me, at least, my intention was not to hurt your feelings. It was quite the opposite. I also hope you will reconsider your decision to chronicle your children's lives so openly online. I don't believe it is safe. Not just unsafe for Mom's feelings but also potentially unsafe for your children. The internet is scary. Mean mommies are the least of it :(

Hi everyone, I'm the resolved2worship person - I actually have a name: Alyssa. Obviously I'm a little late on this thread due to the fact that I just read it today and had to sign up to comment. I have to say that the thread here is way more interesting than any blog I've read in a long time. Not sure if that's because I read so few blogs or because I just can't get over how sweet and kind the bunch of you are. :)

I don't feel jealous/forlorn/or envious. I feel sorry for you. I could go into a long comment in defense of what has been written unkindly, or I could waste my time on explanations - because I've got an explanation for all that seems to "creep" you out. I don't feel a need to explain myself. I don't have to.

The rudeness, the sarcasm, the meanness. . . even lies like me spending everyday working on an Easter party, and other such stupid things. . . seriously? ;) wow.

I have no idea what this forum is or the "well-trained mind community" and what it stands for - from what I can tell it might have something to do with homeschooling??

The truth is, if you saw me in person I'd probably creep you out -- "no butt and size 2" and "ten inch waist" with my "*completely* gussied up" kids (sorry, there wouldn't be a "team" following me to do and help me out as you say. And I don't use photoshop, I play around with my photos now and then in Aperture, check it out, great on mac and less expensive.) You would be sorry to find carry my camera that much and that yes, I do jump in the creek with them and not just sit on the sidelines taking pictures. - and you know what, I'm okay with you thinking I'm creepy. . .

I don't fit the norm and people don't understand and I've learned that's life. I've heard a lifetime of harsh and pointed words. From people that are harsh and miserable.

What else I've learned? Is that I don't understand a lot of people either or get them. And that's okay. What matters is love. Loving God, love to our kids, our husband, those around us -- and even those we don't get or understand and blog in a way we don't like - showing love then too. Love to those who say mean things on forums, yes, even now, having a heart of compassion instead of dislike for the women who left these comments here.

I want to encourage you women who left comments in this thread not only in my defense, but even more so, just mature and balanced and kind. You are the ones who give me hope in this world that not all women are haters. Your words show your heart loud and clear and you are the ones I know if I met in person you would radiate peace in your lives. Thank you.

To those who gossiped and slandered me here -- I want you to know that I don't blame your feelings about my blog/pictures/etc. and that you have every right to not like me (the me you don't even know) my pictures, my parties, my kids clothing, etc. I'm cool with that. What I would like to add though is that we women have a choice - we can put down and compete and act like we never left middle school, reject. Or we can motivate, lift up, and be at peace within ourselves by the kind actions and words that we offer to others.

Alyssa

@resolved2worship

And that's called grace, courage and inspiration all rolled into one!

I just hate how blogs I like turn into big advertisements. I have enjoyed some blogs because of that inspiration and peek into someone's life. I blog to just keep track of life. We are moving away from family again so maybe they will enjoy it. I am hardly interesting r crafty enough.

I think American woman really like to feel bad about themselves. Just a theory.

You just can't live in such an independent, customized culture (the homeschooling community) and find constant comparison to others useful. Everyone's got a different version of homeschooling going on, so comparing apples (yourself) to oranges, kumquats, nectarines, bananas, grapes, plumbs, and all the other fruity homeschoolers you're ever met or read about a constructive activity.

I don't need someone to tell me that other homeschoolers have daily struggles- I live in the real world and that happens to me and they live in the real world and so I assume it happens to them. Just because they didn't post a photo of their yet to be done laundry, the cat vomit on the floor, the unfinished project, etc. doesn't mean it isn't there, and I have no interest in reading about those things. Why would I want to? The cat vomit at my house is of little interest to me, I assume other people aren't interested in me writing about it. I assume other homsechoolers' kids do about the same range of things mine do-the good, the bad and the ugly. I keep my bad and ugly to myself and appreciate it when others keep their bad and ugly to themselves.

Some are more organized than others, some are more creative than others, some kids are easier than others, some spouses are easier than others, some in laws are harder to deal with than others, some kids struggle with some subjects more than others, but overall it all mostly evens out in the end. Most homeschooling moms find their stride, play to their strengths, let some things fall through the cracks, and most of their kids are doing just fine.

I don't get intimidated by blogs or Pinterest or even Martha Stewart. I love them and find them aspirational.

Of course, I currently have at least 4 loads of laundry that need to be washed, two cast iron pans with burnt-on stuff from Sunday that I've decided yet again to leave until tomorrow, 4 boxes in the living room that have remained packed since we moved in (nine months ago!), and a huge list of projects I to do that don't seem that important.

I don't feel jealous about internet stuff because I figure it's an either be happy or be in control sort of situation - sure, I could try my best to be like Martha Stewart, and end up driving my husband and children away with my crazy control-freak ways, build a business based on insomnia, and eventually have my obsession with success land me in jail <OR> I can take the inspiration from her that I can (My fitted sheets are folded perfectly, even if they barely fit in the linen closet), drop the things that are impractical, and love my family as best as I can. Dishes that must be hand washed can wait.

Since we moved I have been feeling anxious about my neighbor though. Five children, tiny figure, always wearing perfect makeup, and here I am, gaining weight like crazy and half the time I go 36 hours between showers, forget putting on makeup unless we're planning on dinner out or church. A month or so ago we started hanging out and it turns out that she's been intimidated by me all this time - she said we were "perfect" and we were always "eating healthy meals," that "you never drink" and she thought we were "bible thumping tea-totalers." Given that I have gained back the 80 pounds I lost a few years ago and we have been eating more fast food here than I ever have in my life, I'm guessing she's going by the few weekends there have been nice weather and DH has grilled some meat in the backyard while I made a variety of salads and some iced tea. She must never look in the front yard when we are carrying in bags of junk from Wendy's to eat in front of the TV (probably while watching news that's unfit for children). It turns out she has a child she lost custody of, and she wears makeup because she has a skin condition and feels she HAS to. Also, she serves frozen dinners and never cooks.

So... I guess my point is that we all have something that intimidates us. And usually if we got to know the whole truth we wouldn't be so intimidated at all.

This is funny. I read this thread several weeks ago and it has been nagging at me ever since. Then tonight I finally found a moment to come in and try to defend/explain a bit about resolved2worship...I see she has actually posted. I haven't read her response yet...I just wanted to post what my original thoughts were after reading a few comments related to her.

I've been reading her blog for years. She is inspiring. If you read her words, truly read them....you will see a heart that is strong, courageous and full of grace. I am unimpressed by most blogs and don't read many of them, but she knocks my socks off with her insights on faith, family, and legalism v. grace in parenting/living/etc. She's almost exactly my age (her b-day is 2 weeks before mine, I think) but I think she is years older and wiser in experience.

The Easter parties are lovely--why not do something like that for your children, if that's what you enjoy? She does a little bit at a time....and has a vision in place...and it comes together. And Easter is a great reason to celebrate. :)

She is beautiful...that's genes. She's thin....that's work!! I have read in a few different places on her blog that she works out....she's out there getting it done. I was so inspired by her that I lost 30 lbs last year...no excuses on working out for me now either. (I do a lot of jump rope--v. efficient. :)) I am getting into great shape now in spite of my busy schedule and frankly I have her to thank...if she can do it w/ 8 children, I can make it happen with 2.

Her photography is gorgeous, she's self-taught. She doesn't 'style' things to be perfect in every photo, she just has an eye to edit out the 'imperfect'....I am an amateur photographer (AT BEST) and I do the same thing. But with much less skill. :)

She makes no money from her blog and puts up with a lot of snarky comments in order to post pictures and words that are, to me, far more inspirational than many 'popular' bloggers.

She has a vulnerability and lack of veneer to her writing that is admirable. She has written about her struggles and believe me, she doesn't even pretend to 'do it all' but she does live with passion...I love that! She does what's most important to her family.....priorities.....

I think when we are threatened by something that we see online it is a projection of something within ourselves. Trust me, she's not had an 'easy' life or glossy....but she is grateful and grace-full in the midst of it, which I find *deeply inspirational.*

I just had to get that off my chest. Now I'll go read what SHE wrote herself. :)

Alyssa, I'm the one who said I had a strong opinion but would keep it to myself out of regard for your feelings if you came upon this thread. I'm not really ashamed of that. Anything so public as an entirely public blog is open to some discussion and critique, or else why make it public? If you host a public site, you will receive both admiration and criticism. It is the nature of the public square. So while I did not like your blog, I levied no specific criticism and refrained from judging your motives because

1. I didn't know you, and

2. you weren't here to defend yourself.

I do not apologize for my words. They were intended to shield you, a stranger and a fellow mother, even while I expressed my right to react to something online that had been made public to all. I had hoped to steer the conversation back toward more general discussion by saying that I did not want to analyze you lest you be hurt if you ever dropped by here, hoping others might follow that example, and then I bowed out of the thread.

It was my responsibility to be true to my own ethics by setting an example of behavior that I think is correct, but I have no responsibility to encourage others not to critique public works. They have a right to an opinion, even if it isn't a kind one. There's a reason why my own blog is private, and a reason why I do not post photos of my children for strangers online, but those who choose otherwise must anticipate that the consequences might not always be pleasant.

I hope you will forgive those who have hurt you in this discussion, including myself if you still find my words to be hurtful. For me, at least, my intention was not to hurt your feelings. It was quite the opposite. I also hope you will reconsider your decision to chronicle your children's lives so openly online. I don't believe it is safe. Not just unsafe for Mom's feelings but also potentially unsafe for your children. The internet is scary. Mean mommies are the least of it :(

This whole post comes across as rather...sanctimonious--particularly the bolded sentence.

The lady with the blog has different opinions regarding the propriety of what she choses to post than you do. She posted something very gracious here when some posters here, including yourself, were snide and petty to her. That was classy of her. I appreciated her explanations and reasoning.

In addition, I admire I.Dup. here for her humble and contrite response to the blogger. That was classy, too.

This whole post comes across as rather...sanctimonious--particularly the bolded sentence.

The lady with the blog has different opinions regarding the propriety of what she choses to post than you do. She posted something very gracious here when some posters here, including yourself, were snide and petty to her. That was classy of her. I appreciated her explanations and reasoning.

In addition, I admire I.Dup. here for her humble and contrite response to the blogger. That was classy, too.

I didn't intend to be sanctimonious. I don't know how the lady to whom I was actually addressing my post took my words as she has not responded, but I'm sorry you didn't like my post. Or my other post, in which you found me to be snide and petty. I didn't intend to be snide or petty, either.

I also admire I. Dup. She is a very admirable lady who always has the best of intentions. I'm glad to know her.

By the way, do I know you? I see you have over 500 posts here but I'm afraid I don't have the slightest idea who you are. Please forgive me if we were friends in the past and I've forgotten.

I had to add, that as a result of this thread (and the Resolved2Worship blog) I looked up ATI/Gothard. Whoa! I'm an Afterschooler, not a homeschooler, so I'm totally ignorant about things like that. I didn't even know what "Quiverful" meant. Has anyone seen the bb/forum "freejinger"? It's interesting what they post about the WTM!

I have 10 kids ages 18 and down. I was never above a size 10 until after the last 2 babies, I didn't weigh 120 between pregnancies until after my 5th was born. It didn't have anything to do with having the kids. It was because I needed to change my diet and be more active. Lo and behold I did it and I lost a lot of weight and an motivated to lose more. No surgeries. No airbrushing. (Dang am I glad I'm camera shy. Ouch.)

I blog some. FB. Venture onto a couple boards. I just put in a garden I love and if it ever stops raining, I'm going to install a pool. I home school. I taxi the kids. I make new recipes I find on Pinterest. I get dirty with the kids in the sprinkler or creek. I've even been known to climb up a tree with them.

I'm not perfect and make no claims to it.

But I'm not fake. I'm not messed up. I'm me trying to squeeze as much joy into our life as a I can.

Makes me glad I stopped putting my blog in most of my signatures. I have never ever made so much as 1 cent off blogging and get very little traffic. I think I have a whopping 5 subscribers. lol I guess I'm glad for that after this thread.

I had to add, that as a result of this thread (and the Resolved2Worship blog) I looked up ATI/Gothard. Whoa! I'm an Afterschooler, not a homeschooler, so I'm totally ignorant about things like that. I didn't even know what "Quiverful" meant. Has anyone seen the bb/forum "freejinger"? It's interesting what they post about the WTM!

Those snark/ bash boards scare me to death. I once joined one and it ended very badly. It's almost enough to kill my message board addiction.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. What have they said about WTM?