Menu

Kitchen remodel question: 2 ovens or 1?

songsparrow

Definitely two, but not two small ones -- I would want at least one "full-sized" oven. I would choose a 48" or 60" range, because then, in addition to the extra oven, you'd also get extra burners on the stovetop (and/or a grill or a griddle.) I have a 48" range now, because a 60" wouldn't fit properly in the spot where I wanted to put it.

I'd rather have one regular sized oven than two smaller sized ovens.

I learned this the hard, expensive way ...

After going on and on about how I needed that second oven, once I got it I discovered it didn't mesh with my cooking needs. Either that, or I was too set in my ways to adapt my cooking ways to accommodate two smaller ovens to the old regular sized one oven LOL.

I cook for large groups. Do you? That would matter, I think.

I have a 2-oven stove, too! Family of 4, so we mostly use the smaller oven on top. But when I need something bigger, or we are cooking for a family gathering or holiday both ovens get used a lot.

We bought ours when we decided to replace our gas stove (came with the house, good, but broiler on the floor) so I could have a broiler above floor level. (I HATE broilers on the bottom -- let's bend CLEAR over and try to balance the super-hot pan while straightening up!) We were looking at stoves with broilers in the oven and DH was drawn to the 2-oven model (he saw the smaller oven not only as a broiler, but as less of a heat sink in the summer). We bought it, though it was twice what we had planned to spend.

We really like it -- the only thing I'm not thrilled about is the cooktop. Ours has 5 burners (supposedly), but the 5th is in the middle of the square, and you can't get a pot centered over any other burner if you are using that one. So for us ours is a 4-burner stove with another burner to clean when stuff spills.

We moved into a house with two and I almist exclusively use the small one. The big one has been used less than 5 times in three years. On the plus side it doesn't get dirty...

We are a family of 5 with an extra two or three for holidays, and noone is upset if we decude nit to have a whole turkey on T-Day. YMMV!

If you have the room, and the budget, I'd want one full size oven (and you can get full size wall ovens) and a smaller wall oven. Then a larger cooktop. eta: we bake/roast things at least once a month that requires the height of a larger oven, and at least once a week that need the width.

I can say that I would love 2 but I just don't bake enough to justify it. But I'd really love a smaller oven because we usually only bake a single tray of something if we do use the oven. But I also need to bake a massive turkey every other year or so.

I just put this in a month ago. I can't believe how often I'm using both ovens.

A84ECEB6-71AC-4BEF-8E4B-A8CCB85CDFC1-14397-000019AD12B6F4A3.jpg

A word of caution, if your plug is on the floor, you'll have to move it or your oven will stick out about 6 inches. You'll also lose that drawer on the bottom.

This. Love this!!

Oh, and you didn't ask, but losing the drawer on the bottom haad no effect on us because we added drawers beside the oven instead of cabinets which I loved even more!!

We just remodeled and replaced our electric wall oven and electric cook top with gas. I didn't see the need for two ovens. As our family grows, kids get married, etc., I will probably do what my mil did: bake pies and rolls ahead, and have everyone bring something. My oven is big enough for a large turkey.

We decided on one large 36" range (with a huge convection oven). I can fit quite a lot in at the same time. I had thought of two ovens, but really they would both only get used at the same time sporadically. Not really worth it for the space it would take up in the kitchen. Don't know if it is has been mentioned yet, but there are microwave ovens now that work as convection ovens as well - might be an option to consider.

I lived in a rental duplex that had a drop in range/oven combo with a big oven on the bottom and a smaller over above the cooktop. MIL had one exactly like it for several decades. So if I could manage it, I'd have a large and a small oven, although not necessarily in one appliance, becasuse I don't think I could live without a hood now.

Two. Definitely two. I don't need two ovens very often, and I've learned to compensate (bought a roaster oven, use crock pots more), but I miss my two ovens.

What would be even better would be two ovens plus a warming drawer. Ahhhh...we can always dream!

I treat the top oven as a warming drawer a LOT. I'll even put the plates on there to warm. I'm using two ovens at once about twice a week. I'm guessing that will cease when the weather gets nicer.

I have yet to resolve the missing lid drawer situation. :-/ My lids and flat pans have been sitting in a cardboard box in the dining room for a month now.

we just redid our kitchen. we only put in one stove again.

i swore upside down and backwards that i wanted two.

so we bought a combination toaster/convection oven to see how often we would use it as a second oven.

we use it all the time. allllll the time.

and it showed me that the toaster/convection oven met our needs beautifully.

fwiw,

ann

I am getting a new oven soon. We have a full size wall oven and used to have a large wall microwave oven. I will be getting a double wall oven, with one being a full size and one being somewhat smaller. I have a microwave downstairs that is smaller but that is good enough for me. I would rather have a second oven.