Menu

Is this proper for a high school food's class (in public school)

Only me

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No kilt-wearing placentas, but perhaps this was on the menu that day in the op's son's food class:

placenta_helper.jpg

I personally prefer the cheeseburger macaroni, but to each her own.

This reminds me of when my friend's son was about 10. He was in the delivery room when his youngest sister was born. Later that week, when everyone was home, his mom made dinner which included polenta. He was done eating, but had some left on his plate and asked "does anyone want my placenta?" I guess that it made quite the impression on him...

Now, while I never experienced that in my cooking class, we did talk about other things than cooking, if I remember correctly. Some things off the top of my head where anorexia, bullying, running away from home, stalkers, bulemia, and something else, maybe child abuse. There were a few more but I'm drawing a blank. It was talk about cooking for four days and the last day was about something completely different not related to cooking for the first half of the semester. When we actually got to the cooking part, she changed it up to a different day since Friday was our cooking day. I think the reason for doing other things besides cooking was we were only allowed to cook ONE day and so we had one day of planning what to make, one day of creating a shopping list and then another day was cooking. It is hard to fill in time if you have nothing else to teach. It's not cook all the time, unfortunately, if you are in a small public school. The budget doesn't allow for it.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

Now I don't know that I'll ever be able to order calamari again... :glare: :glare: :ack2:

http://www.deependdining.com/2013/01/fake-kalamari-bung-hole-me-on-this.html

It was "This American Life". It was gross. It was gag-inducing. And it was very funny. My teenage boys now like it when I flip to NPR while we're driving because they're not sure what they're going to hear.

Public school don't care about the students anymore. That much is obvious. The teachers are just there to get their paychecks and pretend they are doing the world a big favor by "teaching" the children of the world. This is exactly why my daughter did not set foot in a high school. She completed an online program. There is just too much garbage going on in public schools these days to trust them with your children.

Public school don't care about the students anymore. That much is obvious. The teachers are just there to get their paychecks and pretend they are doing the world a big favor by "teaching" the children of the world. This is exactly why my daughter did not set foot in a high school. She completed an online program. There is just too much garbage going on in public schools these days to trust them with your children.

That's just a bit of an overgeneralization, don't you think?

If i thought the story was true, then I would be there to see the principal when the principal arrived at school. If I didn't receive a satisfactory answer, then I would call the health department and the school board. I would work my way up from there. The teacher would no longer be teaching kids there by the end of the week, I promise you that.

This. There would be no talking to the teacher, emailing the teacher, etc. I'd go straight to the principal then up from there as necessary. Someone else mentioned notifying the media. I would probably do that, too. This situation is beyond bizarre. And we homeschoolers are supposed to be the weirdos.

That's just a bit of an overgeneralization, don't you think?

Geez, no kidding.

You both beat me too it, but are you serious???

As a person who takes a lot of medical continuing ed classes....I have met TWO--not one, but TWO--nurse midwives who carried around placentas to show at classes about childbirth. They kept them in their freezers and they looked perfectly fresh. At least one of the nurse-midwives did special lectures at the local high schools, and I wouldnt be surprised to learn she thawed out the placenta and brought it.

So I don't find this too hard to believe.

Public school don't?

As a person who takes a lot of medical continuing ed classes....I have met TWO--not one, but TWO--nurse midwives who carried around placentas to show at classes about childbirth. They kept them in their freezers and they looked perfectly fresh. At least one of the nurse-midwives did special lectures at the local high schools, and I wouldnt be surprised to learn she thawed out the placenta and brought it.

Where is the vomiting smiley when I need it?

So is this like the next level of scared abstinate sex-Ed? When I was in HS it was the miracle of life video and multiple weeks of looking at diseased bits and covering the six thousand ways sex can leave your bits in that condition. (Yes I am being over the top with the number of STDs we covered. It felt like an eternity of discussing what was an uncomfortable subject for me at the time in a co-Ed setting.)

Maybe if they'd have brought in a placenta and given a lecture on how to keep from peeing on yourself when you laugh, sneeze, cough, or........... Anyway, maybe if they had shown what pushing a little 8lb bundle of joy into the world does to your body FOREVER we would have given it a bit more notice.

Holy cow! ***faint***

Yeah, well. land mammals will eat feces too....

And then there is this! Proof positive that just because mammals do it, that doesn't automatically mean humans should too. :D

Still, a placenta, properly preserved might have a place in A & P, Biology, and health courses. It isn't an appropriate show and tell for a cooking/chef/food prep class. If nothing else, this is a show stopper item that should be listed in the course description at the very least.

I'm waiting for an update. Enquiring Minds Want To Know!

Faith

I'm embarrassed to say that I've just wasted 10 minutes of my life trying to find this--a link to a felted womb. But not any felted womb--that of Bella Swan (of Twilight fame) complete with a little hybrid Renesmee fetus inside.

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/02/you-need-help-bellas-womb-from.php

Not as cool as placenta, maybe, but still so ridiculous, I thought it might fit here.

well, she never said it was a HUMAN placenta did she?

ps: Now I have to take down my red pepper icon - it's just too ...too....*something close to a placenta-ish looking thing*

GAK

edit: bifocal attack, it DOES say human placenta - I don't think my mind wanted to even accept this---lol

The places my mind is going is something akin to Steven King. I can't handle it.

I'm embarrassed to say that I've just wasted 10 minutes of my life trying to find this--a link to a felted womb. But not any felted womb--that of Bella Swan (of Twilight fame) complete with a little hybrid Renesmee fetus inside.

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/02/you-need-help-bellas-womb-from.php

Not as cool as placenta, maybe, but still so ridiculous, I thought it might fit here.

:svengo: :lol:

Am I the only one who is at least a little bit annoyed that we haven't gotten an update yet?

(Now, of course, we'll find out that the OP got the flu or something, and I'll feel horrible for having badgered her about this. :blush:)

She edited her original post with this:

NO UPDATE:

I'm sorry guys but we are leaving for Disney tomorrow and my husband is out of town today. He wants to go to the school and talk to someone in person instead of handling this through email. It's driving

me crazy that I can't confront the teacher or principal now but dh wants to be involved when we go to the school.

So we're either in for a long wait on an update or we were all reeled in. :confused:

The OP has over 1000 more posts than you do and has been a member in good standing of this forum for a long time. The "we were all reeled in" comment is unnecessary.

Maybe the comment was. But the wondering?

Spashing placenta is very unlikely, Jean. Who knows, though? I have had some severely unlikely realities.

The OP has over 1000 more posts than you do and has been a member in good standing of this forum for a long time. The "we were all reeled in" comment is unnecessary.

Your opinion. There are several other posts on this thread that express that this situation is a bit unbelievable.

Without knowing the OP at all, my opinion has been that somebody's telling a whopper. I don't necessarily think it's the OP. I think perhaps the nurse had a fake item that she said was real, just trying to get the attention of some bored teenagers. Perhaps the son exaggerated and then ran with it when he saw mom's reaction. Perhaps the OP was reacting to the lesson by dressing it up with some extreme hyperbole here for a guaranteed JAWM in a moment of frustration with the school and/or class. I don't know.

But I'll tell you what I do know: Nobody, I mean nobody, who goes online and reads about splattering placentas in a public school home ec class, is at all to blame if they don't entirely believe it.

Just my two cents.

I'm really sorry that I don't have an update. Talked to son about it more. They were told it was a human placenta. The lady took out of some kind of bag and when went to place it on the table it slipped and splattered blood onto a girl. She washed her hands but son talked to her today and the girl can't get the stain out of her pants. I don't know if the girl told her parents. The students are scared of her. She is very strict and isn't very nice to the students. My son doesnt want us to talk to the teacher for fear of her causing problems for him and he doesn't want the other kids to know that we talked to the teacher. My husband got home tonight and we will discuss talking to someone next week. I'm hoping we can keep it confidential so it doesn't cause my son problems. I'm upset since I think this was highly inappropriate for a foods class but I don't like that she thinks she can teach them whatever she wants even if it doesn't pertain to food. Btw I'm legit. I've been on this board for over ten years. My son is usually the opposite and tends to downplay things. If it was fake I'm not sure what splattered on the girl then.

When something occurs l that is so totally inappropriate for school and totally outside the course content, the best thing to do is to go to the principal as soon as possible. The more time that goes by, the more fuzzy student memories get. It's been my experience that principals often do check out reports like this with other students for verification, so the sooner, the better.

I'm really sorry that I don't have an update. Talked to son about it more. They were told it was a human placenta. The lady took out of some kind of bag and when went to place it on the table it slipped and splattered blood onto a girl. She washed her hands but son talked to her today and the girl can't get the stain out of her pants. I don't know if the girl told her parents. The students are scared of her. She is very strict and isn't very nice to the students. My son doesnt want us to talk to the teacher for fear of her causing problems for him and he doesn't want the other kids to know that we talked to the teacher. My husband got home tonight and we will discuss talking to someone next week. I'm hoping we can keep it confidential so it doesn't cause my son problems. I'm upset since I think this was highly inappropriate for a foods class but I don't like that she thinks she can teach them whatever she wants even if it doesn't pertain to food. Btw I'm legit. I've been on this board for over ten years. My son is usually the opposite and tends to downplay things. If it was fake I'm not sure what splattered on the girl then.

Look, from a scientific standpoint, for the placenta to splatter blood, a lot of unikely realities have to work together:

1. The story, as presented, has to be true.
  2. The teacher has to have access to a person willing to subject a high school cooking class to the content of this session
  3. That person has to have pick up and use access to human placenta.
  4. The human placenta has to be fresh, new, moist.
  5. No one else has said anything about the clear outrageousness.

I absolutely cannot imagine that you didn't immediately contact the school about this.

For that matter, I can't imagine that an army of angry parents didn't immediately contact the school when their kids came home and told them something like that.

And let's not be ridiculous. The students are "scared" of the teacher??? So none of them told their parents??? These kids aren't 5 years old. They are in high school, and it takes a LOT to scare a high schooler.

Realistically, I would think that more than one of the students would have gone straight to the school office to report what happened -- particularly the girl who was "spattered with blood." High school girls aren't morons. They know that blood can carry nasty diseases. (And if they really hate this teacher, how could they resist this perfect opportunity to get her into trouble?)

Another poster mentioned that they knew of someone who did go around to high schools doing this. I know it seems far fetched but this teacher has done crazy stuff before. I have no idea why you think I or my son would make this up. I came on here asking for opinions. At the time dh was out of town and since things tend to bother me I decided to ask the Hive's opinion. I've been a member of this board and the old board for several years and I can usually count on people to give me their honest opinions but I've never been called a liar before. I'm truly upset by this and don't know how to handle it since D's thinks kids will make fun of him or the teacher will give him trouble if we talk to her or the principal. I have no choice other than to wait until next week to talk to someone if that is what we decide. We are going out of town tomorrow.

Yeah, well. land mammals will eat feces too....

And then there is this! Proof positive that just because mammals do it, that doesn't automatically mean humans should too. :D

Aha! Well, just so you know, mammals like dogs do that probably to repopulate their guts with bacteria. Gross, I know. Keep that in mind next time you ask for a doggie kiss!

And, humans who have difficult-to-treat c difficile infections have been successfully treated with fecal transplants. U of Michigan was one of the first to try this and the results were very good.

You may all now resume eating your breakfasts. :D

Regarding the OP, I would not be surprised if my son, a sophomore in high school, sees a placenta eventually in his health class. This past quarter he's had sex ed and they cover practically every sexual infection known to mankind as well as watching babies being born and whatnot. Lots of photos and movies. I think for some of them that may work better than an abstinance program. LOL.

Unfortunately this is completely legit. I'm not 100% sure of the title of the guest speaker but my son thought it was a nurse. He did say it was someone from the local hospital. Regardless, I think it is way out of line. My daughter had this teacher 6 years ago when she went to public school for one year. She taught a different class then. I think it was something like family development. At the time I didn't really think some of the things she did were appropriate. She showed videos of her home birth which showed everything. I think birth is a beautiful thing and of course kids need to know about these things but at the time I didn't really think it was appropriate for the teacher to show a video of her OWN homebirth. When I realized my son had her as a teacher I was a bit concerned but since it was foods class I thought it would be a safe bet.

She is wacko in other areas too and seems to be on a power trip all the time. The first week of class she had the students write a paper on some material they were discussing. It was an in class assignment and they were supposed to use notebook paper. My son got a C on the paper. The teacher said he had a great essay and covered all the material that he needed to. She marked off because some of his writing went slightly over the red line that goes down the right side of the paper. Once she gave a recipe for the class to follow that involved using tomatoe sauce. The original recipe had them starting from scratch, boiling tomatoes, etc. Fortunately my son noticed right away when they were given a can of tomatoe chunks that they weren't completely following it from scratch. They approached the teacher and she said "oh that's right, I forgot to tell you to start at step 7". The rest of the class followed her directions and boiled the canned tomatoes and of course the recipe was a disaster They probably should have known that something was wrong but this is a Foods I class. She didn't bother to tell the rest of the class. That's just a few examples of the things she has done. I could go on and on.

I plan to ask the teacher more details about what they did in class today and go from there. I definitely believe my son but I want to hear the teacher's take on this. BTW, my son was talking to some of his friends at lunch and it turns out that she did the same thing first semester (without dropping it of course). I can't believe that the school allowed her to do this. I'm always getting blood tests and they are so careful about using glove and handling things so carefully I just can't imagine why the school would allow this. I will talk to the teacher tomorrow and then go from there. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overreacting since I tend to do that. Thanks for all of your input.

I remember the thread about the teacher showing her own home birth movies, and it wasn't six years ago. Two maybe. I'm sorry, but I don't believe it.

If it were true, I guarantee, that I would have been in the principle's office first thing the next day, media and school board would have been contacted about the inappropriateness, and my child would not have stepped foot back in that class, unless that teacher were removed!