Menu

The world might implode! I'm mad at Amazon!

Mom in High Heels

What on earth is with all the "Add On" products???? I'm so irritated. You can't actually purchase an "Add On" product, unless you buy $25 of other Amazon fulfilled products. When did all of this happen? I have 6 items that I need that are all "Add On" that total more than $25 together, but I can't buy them unless I buy $25 of non-Add On items. WTH? Half the stuff I used to buy is now considered an "Add On." The sippy cups I buy for Han Solo are about $6 each, but now I can't buy them alone! It's a world gone mad!!!!!!!

Yeah, I keep hearing people say that they haven't noticed many things they were buying before as Prime Eligible switching over to Add On items, but I think we're going to see more and more :( I've had it happen with a few items, and it started noticing just after the change. I dislike that they are promoting it as if they are doing us a favor by offering them. It hasn't been that bad for us yet, but I have definitely noticed a few smaller items switching to the add on category, and I expect it to continue :(

I wrote amazon an email when the change first went into place and they were like hey, if you don't like it, cancel your Prime and we'll prorate it. I doubt they care. They really sucked us in with Prime, and now I fear we'll see them keep cutting and cutting the benefits. I have to decide whether to renew in a month. I've had it for three years now I think (1 year of amazon mom, 2 years of paid Prime), and it is certainly tough to give up.

I have Prime, which I paid for, and then they started the "Add-on" program. It is very unlikely I will pay for another year when my Prime expires since I find it really outrageous that there are items I cannot buy unless I buy a bunch of other stuff I don't want.

I think the total order has to be $25 - not $25 of other non-add-on items. I haven't actually bought any add-ons - but when I had one in the cart the "note" saying $more went away once I hit the $25 amount.

Nope, you apparently have to have $25 of other items. I tried checking out, but it would only complete the transaction for the 1 non-add on item and "Save" the add on items for later. Prime members should be exempt from this add on madness!

If it weren't for streaming video and (mostly) 2-3 day shipping, I would ditch Prime.

On a side-note my ds is working at an Amazon warehouse as a temp employee. If I find that they don't hire him full-time because he was home educated, I'm pretty sure I'll be done buying there completely. If they choose not to hire him for another reason, well....that I can probably accept, but if it's ONLY due to where he was educated, I don't think I'll be able to look past that.

Hmmm. I added ten add-on items at $3.88 each to my cart and was allowed to get to the checkout screen.

ETA: 4-for-3 is gone? What???

There were many books that we could get 4 for the price of 3 ( of the same price or less ). Many of the Newbery Books, and elementary readers were on there. I have purchased 90% of my readers through this program. Literally about $800+ worth a year, as I am collecting Newbery books, and Sonlight readers, along with SOTW readers. Sigh. Now I have 4 in my cart that Rainbow Resource doesn't have. I will be paying shipping on the few I can't get else where next year. No more prime for me. That $79 a year made it worth it to me, to save $200 on books, and more on shipping.

Last year at this time, I had $1000+ worth of curriculum in my Amazon account. I will be spending a whopping $37.77 with them this year.

I had a huge Amazon order arrive yesterday. One of the items was a $3.00ish "add-on" item, and it was packaged in its own separate box! I thought the point of the Add-On program was to cut down on the cost of shipping small items individually. They couldn't have thrown it into one of the other SIX BOXES that showed up at the same time? Or the two more that haven't arrived yet?

I had a huge Amazon order arrive yesterday. One of the items was a $3.00ish "add-on" item, and it was packaged in its own separate box! I thought the point of the Add-On program was to cut down on the cost of shipping small items individually. They couldn't have thrown it into one of the other SIX BOXES that showed up at the same time? Or the two more that haven't arrived yet?

LOL I had a ton of stuff come in individual boxes over the holidays, all ordered at once. Some of them come from different places, so need to be boxed separately. There were things that just didn't makes sense though, being packages separately and came from the same location.

The two items I bought as 'add on items' ended up being cheaper when I moved them to my cart. A back of batteries that was a few dollars ended up costing less than a dollar.....are other people seeing this too? There was something else like this too.... I just don't remember what it was. One price on the main page and then significantly cheaper in my cart at checkout.

I have Prime FWIW.

There is no way I will pay for prime again...... with the add on's, and the 4 for 3 promotion gone. It just isn't worth it. Rainbow Resource is cheaper, and has almost everything I need. I just paid for it, 2 weeks before they changed the 4 for 3, I was HOT !

Not sure if they still do this, but I had PRIME a while back and ended up canceling it a few months into it and was refunded for the months left in my membership. I may do this again at CHristmas time if they still offer it.

I think the total order has to be $25 - not $25 of other non-add-on items. I haven't actually bought any add-ons - but when I had one in the cart the "note" saying $more went away once I hit the $25 amount.

I placed an order yesterday with the main item less than $25, but I added some Black Warrior add-on pencils that brought the total over $25, and so I got Prime shipping.

However, I'm p*ssed about the add-on program. It's a lie that the add-on program has allowed Amazon to provide customers with more items -- I've seen several items that previously were regular Prime items, and that now are considered to be add-ons -- they are not new products at all. Plus, I think the $25 total purchase for add-ons with Prime is ridiculous. It should be more like $10.

Nope, you apparently have to have $25 of other items. I tried checking out, but it would only complete the transaction for the 1 non-add on item and "Save" the add on items for later. Prime members should be exempt from this add on madness!

Wow. That is not my experience at all. I've always gotten Prime shipping as long as my total was over $25, including for an order I placed yesterday. I hope this is not yet another change.

I dislike that they are promoting it as if they are doing us a favor by offering them.

So true. I noticed under subscribe &save, they now try to bundle all the stuff together. Why? So you won't have so many boxes cluttering up your mailbox or something. It's hilarious.

I have 6 of these in my cart and it won't let me get them! Together, they total just over $32. How is not profitable to send them to me?

Is there any new/recent red tape because you are overseas? I ordered the HECK out of some amazon back when it was new, and we lived in Germany. I even got amazon post-its and commuter mugs free in my order back then! Now, I rarely order from amazon if I can get it anywhere else.

I keep things I regularly buy in my cart (using it as a wishlist), and have noticed that many of the things (mostly supplements) I have bought before individually with prime are now add on. Just yesterday, I ordered some of our regular supplements, one of which was an add on item. Well, this morning, I got an email saying that my add on item has shipped and the other two items are shipping soon! So how is this supposed to be saving anybody anything? If this keeps up, I am dropping prime. I see no point in having it if you have to make a 25.00 order anyway. I don't need 2 day shipping. I was paying for prime specifically because I could order just one item at a time anytime I wanted.

This is so weird. I shop at Amazon constantly, and I've never seen an add-on item. I'll have to look out for that.

They're small/light items, like rubber bands or something, not a book. What's annoying to me is that, without Prime, I still have to have over $25 before the add on items, to get free shipping. I don't really understand why they are in a separate category. I think it's ok if I am supposed to have $25 total, but come on.

Oh and they started charging Sales Tax to Texas last year. That about did me in. No more big ticket items. I bought hubby a 52" flat screen TV right before that change. Saved shipping, and tax. It just isn't worth it now, not to me.

I pay the tax separately on my state taxes. Amazon may not be collecting it, but my understanding isthat I still have to pay it. I am not trying to make a statement about you, but about my understanding. I would welcome skipping the hassle of totalling up my purchases and paying a lump sum. Let me tell you, after seeing how much money I spent last year, I have been sitting on my hands for ordering anything else.

This is so weird. I shop at Amazon constantly, and I've never seen an add-on item. I'll have to look out for that.

I haven't either. I always click the Prime Eligible box when searching for something on Amazon. Maybe I just buy different things from everyone here, but I've never found that something I want is an add-on item.

I only rarely see add-on items. They're generally small items that would not be cost-effective to ship individually. I get that. It hasn't been a problem at all, in my ordering reality. (The sippy cups came up with free 2-day shipping for me, as well, with 6 of them in my cart)

I just put 6 in my cart, and am on the "Place Your Order" screen with 2-day shipping. Maybe you should email them? How frustrating!

I was able to do this, too (but am not buying them! ;-) My youngest is turning 17....)

Amazon just doesn't like you.

I wonder if they have a system to picking out customers who DO buy a lot of little stuff, and fixing it so they can't anymore. I seldom buy little items, so am not getting stopped like you are. Just a thought.

Amazon just doesn't like you.

HURTFUL!!!!! Amazon loves me! I keep them in business. :)

I emailed them last night and got a response this morning. They said I should be able to complete the transaction with $25 of add ons and still get Prime shipping. They told me to clear the cart and add it all back in and it worked. It was just a glitch apparently. They are now back in my good graces and the world is no longer in danger of imploding. Whew! I'd hate to be responsible for that!

Oh and they started charging Sales Tax to Texas last year. That about did me in. No more big ticket items. I bought hubby a 52" flat screen TV right before that change. Saved shipping, and tax. It just isn't worth it now, not to me.

The idea didn't come from Amazon. Many states have been pushing Amazon to collect sales tax, and in states where they have a distribution center or other physical presence, they have to collect them.

The idea didn't come from Amazon. Many states have been pushing Amazon to collect sales tax, and in states where they have a distribution center or other physical presence, they have to collect them.

True.... they've been collecting in some states. With other states, it's the responsibility of the consumer to send the tax money to the state. It is owed either way. Amazon sends a yearly statement telling you how much you spent that year, along with links to your state's information. More states are trying to get them to collect it as so many people do not pay the sales tax owed.

True.... they've been collecting in some states. With other states, it's the responsibility of the consumer to send the tax money to the state. It is owed either way. Amazon sends a yearly statement telling you how much you spent that year, along with links to your state's information. More states are trying to get them to collect it as so many people do not pay the sales tax owed.

I've never heard of this, and I've never gotten a statement like that. I use Amazon several times/wk for everything from books to groceries, vitamins, shoes, small appliances... you name it. I spend thousands with Amazon every year. Is this just for states where they have some kind of physical presence? :confused1:

Jackie

I've never received a statement but, yes, at least on Ohio income taxes there is a line where you are to report any (not just Amazon) online purchases you made for which you were not charged sales tax. That amount is added into your state taxes.

I've never heard of this, and I've never gotten a statement like that. I use Amazon several times/wk for everything from books to groceries, vitamins, shoes, small appliances... you name it. I spend thousands with Amazon every year. Is this just for states where they have some kind of physical presence? :confused1:

Jackie

I have gotten one in each of the past two January's.They came via email. It may have to do with the physical presence but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Well, Amazon does not send me any statement. I have to sit there and add them all up, and then take the percentage myself. There is a line on my state tax return for tax owed on out-of-state purchases. You are supposed to included things bought from outside the country, including things brought back from trips abroad. I do.