Menu

What are you reading?

Not including ANY home school related books, what are you reading?

I just started The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I had no idea what it was about when I checked it out from the library. I've just been seeing it everywhere. 2 hours later and I'm halfway through the book.

Once I finish that one, I'm going to read Escape by Carolyn Jessup and Laura Palmer.

I'm also ready Despereaux to the kids every night. I may have to skip ahead. I want to know what is going to happen and reading 1 or 2 chapters a night isn't doing it for me.

Nothing too heavy right now...

Not including ANY home school related books, what are you reading?

I just started The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I had no idea what it was about when I checked it out from the library. I've just been seeing it everywhere. 2 hours later and I'm halfway through the book.

Once I finish that one, I'm going to read Escape by Carolyn Jessup and Laura Palmer.

I'm also ready Despereaux to the kids every night. I may have to skip ahead. I want to know what is going to happen and reading 1 or 2 chapters a night isn't doing it for me.

Nothing too heavy right now...

I am reading Nora Roberts In the Garden series.

Just finished Fairest by the same lady as Ella Enchanted. Loved it. Also read Pollyanna for the first time and we are listening to Despereaux for the 2nd time in the car. I have also read it twice. Don't feel like reading anything "grown up" right now. Need to rest the brain. :D

I just started Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I can't list the others as they are homeschool/self education related.

I'm reading The Shack by William P. Young..here's more information.

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

"The Shack is the most absorbing work of fiction I've read in many years. My wife and I laughed, cried and repented of our own lack of faith along the way. The Shack will leave you craving for the presence of God." — Michael W. Smith, Recording Artist

I recently finished "Escape" and "Stolen Innocence", now I reading John Grisham's "The Appeal", and Stephen Carter's "The Emperor of Ocean Park."

I hope to finish these up before I start school back up in a couple of weeks. Nothing like recreational reading to relax and refresh a tired homeschool mom.

Mary

I recently finished two novels which I can highly, highly recommend- I dont read novels often.

A Thousand Splendid Suns

and Kite Runner

by Khaled Hosseini

The are novels set in Afghanistan and they really, really touched my heart.

I have Sophie's World next to my bedside, havnt really got into it yet.

I am also reading The Long Tail by Chris Anderson, which is very interesting, although I am skimming it rather than deeply reading it. It is about the change in economics and business and common culture- how online companies like Amazon are changing the world. Which isn't usually my thing, just happens to interest me right now. Probably a very important book.

I am currently reading "The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart" by Jan Hunt.

After that I will read "The Cape Cod Witch and the Pirate's Treasure" by J. Bean Palmer (a local author back in Massachusetts; I found the book while I was in Onset on vacation). This is actually a children's book, but I couldn't resist it when I saw it. I will read it, then set it aside for my son.

I, too, am reading The Last Lecture. I saw the video months ago before the book came out. When the book came out I put it on hold at the library. I was 47th or so on the list so figured it would be sometime next year when it came in. Last Thursday I picked up my latest bundle of books (mostly dd9's) and in the pile was The Last Lecture. It was very odd because that was the day he died.

I am enjoying the book, but I do highly recommend the video as well. The book lacks the enthusiasm and animation with which the lecture was delivered. The book, however, offers a bit of background info on how the lecture came to be which I am very glad to know and I like being able to absorb the details at a slower pace. I think I will eventually buy my own copy.

I've just added a "Currently Reading" widget on my blog. I can't tell how well it's working--it seems to be visible on both IE and Firefox at the moment, but earlier it was only visible via Firefox.

Anyone got the time to take a look?

Otherwise, I've just finished Gore Vidal's Burr and I'm reading Hilary Jordan's Mudbound, Gaskell's Cranford and Joseph Ellis's American Creation.

I've just added a "Currently Reading" widget on my blog. I can't tell how well it's working--it seems to be visible on both IE and Firefox at the moment, but earlier it was only visible via Firefox.

Otherwise, I've just finished Gore Vidal's Burr and I'm reading Hilary Jordan's Mudbound, Gaskell's Cranford and Joseph Ellis's American Creation.

I got an error on your widget. I'm using IE.

I am currently reading

A Student's Guide to Liberal Learning by James Schall

Common Sense by Thomas Paine

I'm using Firefox and it's not working.

Just got started on Anthony and Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough. Have read all her Rome books to date - even if bits do steam up my glasses (so I will NOT let my ds read them!!!)

Oh, and of course am working my way for the SIXTH time through the O'Brian Master and Commander series of books. I think I have a crush on Dr. Maturin, the geek.

I am reading Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith. Here are 2 blurbs from Amazon:

Amazon.com

If all that Tom Rob Smith had done was to re-create Stalinist Russia, with all its double-speak hypocrisy, he would have written a worthwhile novel. He did so much more than that in Child 44, a frightening, chilling, almost unbelievable horror story about the very worst that Stalin's henchmen could manage. In this worker's paradise, superior in every way to the decadent West, the citizen's needs are met: health care, food, shelter, security. All one must offer in exchange are work and loyalty to the State. Leo Demidov is a believer, a former war hero who loves his country and wants only to serve it well. He puts contradictions out of his mind and carries on. Until something happens that he cannot ignore. A serial killer of children is on the loose, and the State cannot admit it.

To admit that such a murderer is committing these crimes is itself a crime against the State. Instead of coming to terms with it, the State's official position is that it is merely coincidental that children have been found dead, perhaps from accidents near the railroad tracks, perhaps from a person deemed insane, or, worse still, homosexual. But why does each victim have his or her stomach excised, a string around the ankle, and a mouth full of dirt? Coincidence? Leo, in disgrace and exiled to a country village, doesn't think so. How can he prove it when he is being pursued like a common criminal himself? He and his wife, Raisa, set out to find the killer. The revelations that follow are jaw-dropping and the suspense doesn't let up. This is a debut novel worth reading. --Valerie Ryan

From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. Set in the Soviet Union in 1953, this stellar debut from British author Smith offers appealing characters, a strong plot and authentic period detail. When war hero Leo Stepanovich Demidov, a rising star in the MGB, the State Security force, is assigned to look into the death of a child, Leo is annoyed, first because this takes him away from a more important case, but, more importantly, because the parents insist the child was murdered. In Stalinist Russia, there's no such thing as murder; the only criminals are those who are enemies of the state. After attempting to curb the violent excesses of his second-in-command, Leo is forced to investigate his own wife, the beautiful Raisa, who's suspected of being an Anglo-American sympathizer. Demoted and exiled from Moscow, Leo stumbles onto more evidence of the child killer. The evocation of the deadly cloud-cuckoo-land of Russia during Stalin's final days will remind many of Gorky Park and Darkness at Noon, but the novel remains Smith's alone, completely original and absolutely satisfying. Rights sold in more than 20 countries. (May)

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

I am also reading the Mysterious Benedict Society.

I'm reading lots of fluff for the summer...

Just finished - The Thin Place by Kathryn Davis

Working on - Not Flesh Nor Feathers by Cherie Priest, Junior's Leg by Ken Wells, Heart Sick by Chelsea Cain, and The Year of Disappearances by Susan Hubbard. Also reading aloud to dd8, The Liberation of Gabriel King by KL Going & The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart.

I am going through all of P. Allen Smith's gardening books. Just discovered them and really love his style of teaching/communication.

I am rereading all of Jan Karon's Mitford books. I don't know how many times I've read them, but they are a quick read that just happen to be so full of truth and joy that it's a pleasure to run through them again.

And some new cookbooks. Planning to make some big changes to our diet soon, so I'm boning up on some new recipes.

I have some other non-fluffy stuff going, but it's hs related, so I didn't list it. :001_smile:

On Writing by Stephen King, The Story of Edger Sawtelle by David Wroblewski, and The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (which will be even more emotional now)

On Writing by King is my all time favorite book on writing fiction. Honest, real, and inspiring. I try to read it once each year.

Y'all have given me some good ideas for my to be read list.

I just finished 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle,' by Barbara Kingsolver. Interesting read.

I'm working though 'The Sound of Paper' by Julia Cameron. I have 'Life at Work' by Thomas Moore next in line. A recent read, Debbie Macomber's non-fiction Christian title, 'Knit Together,' is delightful and inspiring. She discusses finding God's purposes for your life.

However, this afternoon, it is an oldie by Nora Roberts that's entertaining me..'Born in Fire.' I love a trip to rainy, cool Ireland and a tour of the fine art world, especially on a HOT, lazy Sunday when no one else is home. :D

What do you mean? We are supposed to have time to read and come here?! :D

The Expected One by Kathleen McGowan...not far enough into it to not want to come here instead :blushing:

and

Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens

and

Once Upon a Time in the North by Phillip Pullman

and

The Alchemist by Michael Scott (reading aloud w/dc)

I open up my library website on another tab in my browser, and keep adding books to my list. So many books, so little time!

I just finished The Reason for God by Timothy Keller. I'm still working on Planet Narnia by Michael Ward.

I'm listening to Pride and Prejudice in my car, and reading aloud The Enchanted Castle to ds at bedtime. (We love E. Nesbit!)

Wendi

I'm reading Watership Down I never had to read it in school or anything so I thought I'd check it out. I just started so I'm not real far into it.

I'm also reading a Barnes and Noble Classic Starts version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea to the kids for our before bed read aloud.