Menu

Please share your go-to simple meals (4 ingredients or less)

I.Dup.

chicken enchiladas in the crockpot: chicken and enchilada sauce. then serve on corn tortillas and any other toppings you like

asian beef. I make a sauce with tamari(gluten free), white rice vinegar, red pepper flakes, honey, ginger, garlic and such with beef strips. let cook until sauce is almost gone. We serve with rice and steamed veggies

We grill a lot of things and serve with veggies, potatoes or salad. I also make several soups/chili's that are easy/simple.

pulled pork.& coleslaw.

Pork roast in the crockpot with salt & pepper, cook 8 hours. Serve with BBQ sauce (or not).

mix coleslaw dressing and shredded cabbage.

So easy, yet company-worthy! I don't count salt and pepper as ingredients, fwiw.

Mayo Chicken

Bake chicken breasts in oven until about 20 minutes remains in cook time. Spread mayo on them and sprinkle with seasoned salt. Finish baking. Serve with steamed broccoli.

Super yummy.

Tuna salad bowl:

Mix tuna (canned) with mayo, pickles, salt & pepper. Serve on a half an avocado. VERY FILLING.

Ham and beans in crockpot

Soak navy beans overnight and then rinse and put in crockpot with water

Add in two smoked ham hocks

Add in a chopped onion

Add in a dried chili

Cook on low all day

Salt and pepper before serving

Serve with cornbread

The chili's I use look like this:

dried_red_chiles_lg.jpg

Smokey Po--

Make in the quantity you need for your family. For 4 people, I usually use 2 gr peppers, 2 onions, 4 potatoes (russet), and one pkg of turkey smoked sausage.

Cut peppers and onions into 1 inch pieces (or so). Fry in pan, using just a little olive oil (or butter, whatever), til softened and onions have a little color.

Meanwhile, boil the potatoes (cut like you would for mashies).

Place peppers and onions aside.

In same pan as you did the above, cook the sausage (first cut up into 1/4 inch coins) til nice and brown (however you like it).

Drain potatoes when done--add everything and stir it around a bit, then serve.

Cabbage and Noodles

Cut a head of green cabbage into shreds and fry until very brown and soft in a bit of butter. Meanwhile, boil egg noodles (wide or narrow, whatever you like) til done. Drain egg noodles, toss with cabbage. Good side dish, but really you can eat it for main dish, too. My mil makes her own noodles with flour, salt, water and an egg. Super cheap.

Oops--saw NO egg--just use vegan noodles.

Guest inoubliable

Tonight we are having brown rice, black beans, diced tomatoes and taco seasoning mixed together.

I have lots more, we are vegan, but you can sub meat for the beans.

You saved dinner at my house tonight!!

I can add more later in this vein (4 things). Off the bat, though, here's a quick one:

black beans, cooked or canned/rinsed

brown rice, cooked

non-dairy plain yogurt

ground garlic (lots)

Stir ingredients together, locate a place where nobody can/will complain about the garlic, and ENJOY!

This was one of my "impoverished graduate student" favorites.

Fried cabbage with smoked sausage (I slice and brown the link first, then add sliced cabbage, onions and carrots are optional, season to taste)

Chicken and black beans (boneless chicken, rinsed black beans, corn (drained canned, fresh or frozen), salsa or Rotel; cook in Crock Pot, oven or stove top, pull chicken apart with two forks, serve over brown rice or in tortillas, toppings optional)

Cowboy Stew (brown ground beef or turkey, drain, add 1-2 large can pork'n beans, a bit of sweetener (I like a healthy pinch of brown sugar), seasonings (I like garlic, black pepper and chili powder), simmer, serve with a crusty bread or biscuits)

I just made a tamale pie that was super easy with few ingredients...more than four, though. Basically it was sauteed onions, garlic, and bell pepper; crumbled tempeh (could sub ground beef or turkey, I'm sure); a can of pinto beans; and a can of diced tomatoes. I used half a packet of taco seasoning to season it (then threw in a little oregano and cumin for good measure). I topped it with slices of prepared polenta. I did put a layer of jack cheese under the polenta and a sprinkle on top, but it would be just fine without. The whole thing went into the oven for about 15 minutes to heat through and crisp the polenta a bit. It was delicious and only took a few minutes to throw together!

We're having grilled, marinated pork chops (coat w/ worcestershire sauce, Lawry's seasoning, sprinkle of garlic powder, and a bit of black pepper, and a bit of veg. oil- at least 2 hours--they taste like steak!)

Hot crash potatoes ala Pioneer woman

green beans sauteed w/ bacon and onion- debating throwing some canned tomatoes in

Sounds very good! I'll try this! Reminded me of our polenta favorite:

polenta (cooked as thick mush, not from slices)

ground turkey (browned well)

spaghetti sauce (jar)

grated cheese -- In OPs case, vegan cheese.

Place the cooked polenta into a 9" x 13" baking dish (lightly oiled).

Cover with the turkey and spaghetti sauce (mixed together)

Top with grated cheese.

Bake at 350 deg.

I just made a tamale pie that was super easy with few ingredients...more than four, though. Basically it was sauteed onions, garlic, and bell pepper; crumbled tempeh (could sub ground beef or turkey, I'm sure); a can of pinto beans; and a can of diced tomatoes. I used half a packet of taco seasoning to season it (then threw in a little oregano and cumin for good measure). I topped it with slices of prepared polenta. I did put a layer of jack cheese under the polenta and a sprinkle on top, but it would be just fine without. The whole thing went into the oven for about 15 minutes to heat through and crisp the polenta a bit. It was delicious and only took a few minutes to throw together!

This is one of my simple recipes, chicken diable. This recipe is similar to the one I have, only I use Dijon mustard and boneless/skinless chicken breast.

http://www.food.com/...en-diable-17673

Here's another of our favorites...it's a few more than 4 ingredients, but it's mostly spices...

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-honey-brushed-chicken-thighs-10000001591042/

black beans and rice

left over chicken with yellow rice and black beans

taco salad (taco meat, beans, corn, lettuce)

sausage with pan fried potatoes.

pasta salad: left over bbq chicken, cheddar cheese, some type of pasta, olives, italian dressing

This one has more than 4 ingredients, but it's super easy, and fast. (from quick fix vegan, every recipe is 30 min or less)

Asian noodle soup

1tbs neutral cooking oil

4 cups chopped bok choy (1 large or 4 baby)

5 scallions, minced

2 garlic cloves minced

1 small carrot grated

1 1/2 cups sliced Shiitake mushrooms

5 cups veg broth

1/4 cup soy sauce

1 tbs sriracha sauce (I subbed chili sauce the other day and it was good!)

1 box thin rice noodles (6oz) (we use Annie Chung, I think it's called)

(the recipe calls for 2 tsp fresh ginger, but I've never added it, and it's fine with out it. I'm just lazy and don't feel like grating the ginger.)

Put the oil, and all of the veggies, scallions, garlic, into the pot, over medium heat, stir and cook for 2 minutes until soft. Stir in broth, soy sauce, sriracha salt and pepper to taste. Being to a boil, then simmer until vegetables are tender.

While simmering, cook noodles, they only take 2 minutes once the water is boiling. Drain and run cold water over them, then add to soup.

My 2 year olds scarf this down, it's a crowd pleaser.

Ghoulash!

Do it with a gluten free pasta.

We make ours with ground buffalo, corn, tomatoes (I use juice and canned whole tomatoes but you could do either/or), pasta, beans (eliminate those if you need less than 4 ingredients!) and some seasoning. Simple, nutritious, and filling in the cold weather.

Cedric Adams Hotdish

Shred up half a medium-sized head of cabbage. Brown a pound of hamburger. Layer half the shredded cabbage in the bottom of a greased casserole dish, then layer all of the browned beef on top of that, then top that with the remaining cabbage. Stir a can of condensed tomato soup and pour over the cabbage and beef. Cover. Bake at 350 for about an hour, removing the lid after about forty minutes so it doesn't get too soupy.

1 can black beans + 1 can diced tomatoes + 1 cup water (more if desired/needed) + 1 tsp thyme. Simmer together and serve over rice. Slice up some apples for a side dish.

If you want to add more flavor you can take time to chop and saute a bit of onion, bellpepper and garlic before adding the above. Sometimes I add diced carrot too.

You might need to double the recipe depending on how many you need to feed and how much they eat. This fed 4 when the boys were little. I don't make it much anymore since dh is low carb for health reasons.

More than four ingredients, but too good to keep to myself!

Vegan "Pot Roast"

Field Roast (http://www.fieldroast.com/) -- however many serve your family. I use two to serve 6-7 people.

baby carrots

small potatoes (boilers), quartered

onion (large-ish pieces)

garlic cloves (peeled, uncut)

herb(s) of personal preference

olive oil

low-sodium vegetable broth (low sodium because the Field Roast is salty)

Mix the herbs into the oil.

Lightly coat the vegetables with olive oil.

Place everything in a roasting pan (if using oven) or crock pot.

Moisten everything with the vegetable broth.

Cover and bake in oven or crock pot until the vegetables are done. Check during cooking and add additional broth to prevent drying-out.

This is extremely popular with my family!

More than four ingredients, but too good to keep to myself!

Vegan "Pot Roast"

Field Roast (http://www.fieldroast.com/) -- however many serve your family. I use two to serve 6-7 people.

baby carrots

small potatoes (boilers), quartered

onion (large-ish pieces)

garlic cloves (peeled, uncut)

herb(s) of personal preference

olive oil

low-sodium vegetable broth (low sodium because the Field Roast is salty)

Mix the herbs into the oil.

Lightly coat the vegetables with olive oil.

Place everything in a roasting pan (if using oven) or crock pot.

Moisten everything with the vegetable broth.

Cover and bake in oven or crock pot until the vegetables are done. Check during cooking and add additional broth to prevent drying-out.

This is extremely popular with my family!

Thank you!

This one is a go-to as well, more than 4 ingredients again, sorry!

4 pork chops (we use tofu instead, except for my meat eater.)

2 tbs brown sugar

1 tbs molasses or maple syrup

1tbs o.j.

1 clove garlic minced

1/2 tsp salt

Mix everything but p chops, pour over p chops, cook on med heat until Carmelized. I serve with fried rice, or brown rice and brocoli.

Red Beans and Sausage - 1 pkg red beans, 1 pkg sausage. 2 bay leaves (not required). Beans and leaves go in crockpot with sliced sausage. Cover with water. Cook all day. Stir before serving and remove leaves. You can add a fourth ingredient by making Rice to go with it.

Sausage and Saurkraut. I like Reindeer sausage, but any Kielbasa works great. Put sausage in fry pan, cover half way with water and cover. Cook until sausage is warmed through. Serve with saurkraut.

Naked Burritos - refried beans and rice, tossed together in a bowl. Get fancy and add cheese on top or even some veggies. We like sliced peppers and onions in ours, but they aren't required.

Good flavours mix! I can see how this would go well with pork (except that none of us eat pork!), and also with the tofu. What a boon that you can please two sets of people at once!

Do you think this works better with fresh, or with frozen/thawed tofu? I battle against tofu sticking to the pan, and losing half of the tofu as a result. Thanks!

(Glad you liked the sound of the "pot roast"!)

2 tbs brown sugar

1tbs o.j.

1 clove garlic minced

1/2 tsp salt

Mix everything but p chops, pour over p chops, cook on med heat until Carmelized. I serve with fried rice, or brown rice and brocoli.

Good flavours mix! I can see how this would go well with pork (except that none of us eat pork!), and also with the tofu. What a boon that you can please two sets of people at once!

Do you think this works better with fresh, or with frozen/thawed tofu? I battle against tofu sticking to the pan, and losing half of the tofu as a result. Thanks!

(Glad you liked the sound of the "pot roast"!)

I use fresh tofu, extra firm. I have a non stick green pan. I've tried baking, using cast iron or stainless, and it sticks every time.

My DS is allergic to legumes so he has to have meat. Well, it's easier by far to give him meat. :)

2 tbs brown sugar

1tbs o.j.

1 clove garlic minced

1/2 tsp salt

And for the first time ever it looks like I'm putting tofu on my grocery list.

If I add a bit of olive oil to the pan will it help with sticking?

And for the first time ever it looks like I'm putting tofu on my grocery list.

If I add a bit of olive oil to the pan will it help with sticking?

Yes! Although I would do canola, or something more neutral.

What I actually do with the tofu, is sort of fry it first, and then pour the sauce over at the end.

My mother's quick meal:

1- 1.5 C raw brown rice in a casserole with the amount of water needed to cook it

put in a cup of frozen corn, stir.

cover this with a good layer of lightly browned ground beef, and over That layer completely with strips of just softened bacon and bake at 325 for over an hour.

You can fancy it up with browned onion, I suppose, but she never did and it was devoured.

Rice and beans (brown rice, black beans, canned tomatoes all together)

Black bean tacos

Pasta with tuna and peas

Salmon, rice, veggie

Whole roasted chicken with pasta/rice and veggies

Spinach, black bean, corn tortilla casserole (not sure how to make it dairy free though)

We eat pretty simple, so most of our meals are four ingredients or less. But we love cheese. ;)

Fiesta Soup: 1 jar picante salsa, 1 can black beans, 1 can whole kernal corn, cumin and cilantro to taste

Chicken Burrito Filling: cooked chicken, 1 can black beans and 1 can whole kernal corn (both rinsed and drained), 1 pack taco seasoning mix

Meatball soup: 1 32 oz box reduced sodium chicken broth, 1 16 oz bag mixed vegetables, meatballs, cooked rice (we use egg noodles), thyme, salt, and pepper to taste

Pan-fried sausage and potatoes: Turkey smoked sausage sliced (cook this in some oil first and remove from pan), diced onion (saute in pan where sausage was cooked), diced potatoes (microwave 4-5 minutes in a covered bowl before adding to skillet), saute potatoes and onion until potatoes or starting to brown, add back sausage and salt and pepper to taste, heat through.

cheaters chili: brown some ground beef, add 1 jar salsa and 1 can diced tomatoes. Serve with cornbread or texas toast

sasuage bake: put strips of peppers and onions, slices of potatoes (I use thin skinned ones so I don't have to peel them), and some sweet italian sausages in a dish, bake covered. Or put above in a crock pot and cook. (I have no idea on times, sorry)

french toast with bacon and fruit

1 or 2 bags of the frozen vegetables from costco, that have the balsamic glaze in the bag plus some chicken thighs or breasts cooked covered in a dish or sauteed on the stove together.

I just remembered another one. Slice some chorizo into chunks. Put into a slow cooker/pot with chunks of raw potato. Add paprika to taste. Put a bunch of sliced greens/kale on top and fill up with water to almost cover. Cook. Eat in chunky state or puree if you like. We have it as a thick soup/stew or sometimes as a dip.

Laura

I cook simple when dh works the night shift. The kids prefer these types of meals anyway. We eat dairy, wheat, and eggs, but maybe this will be helpful to someone or give ideas with substitutions for those products.

• Angel hair noodles tossed with ricotta (substitute with finely chopped chicken breast or sausage?) and pesto served with baby greens salad.
  • Tuna salad, baguette, olives, sliced tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt
  • Brown rice, kidney beans topped with sour cream and cilantro
  • Tofu cut into squares sprinkled with spring onions and ginger (depends on the kids) and soy sauce served with cold rice noodles tossed in sesame oil and a veggie usually steamed broccoli here
  • Brown rice, can of tikka sauce with chickpeas, peas, carrots and cauliflower served with salted yogurt
  • Sliced cold ham with spanish potato salad (chunks of boiled potatoes with homemade garlic mayo and a lot of chopped parsley) and a veggie
  • Bean salad -- white beans, black beans, feta, corn, tomatoes, spring onions, and dressin