Menu

Oatmeal--are there toppings I've missed?

Julie in CA

In no particular order:

brown sugar

peanut butter

mini chocolate chips

toasted nuts

jelly or jam

apples

blueberries

raisins

craisins

dried apricots/plums

agave

cinnamon

maple syrup

caramel

chocolate sauce

apple juice

white chocolate chips

Splenda white/brown

stevia

bacon bits

coconut

pineapple

milk

cream

mini M&Ms

Frosted Flakes

granola

bananas

banana chips

cream cheese frosting

crushed Oreos

crushed shortbread cookies

lemon/orange wedges

toffee chips

coconut milk

almond milk

honey

marshmallows

sprinkles

pumpkin/ginger puree

What else? :bigear:

I've made it with canned pumpkin (reduce the amount of liquid a bit to account for the moisture in the pumpkin) and added pumpkin pie spices.

ETA: oops, I read your list too quickly the first time. Just saw that you already had pumpkin listed. Still one of my favorite ways to have oatmeal, though :)

I love making oatmeal with cardamom and adding chunks of pear.

That sounds so good that I'm going to try that tomorrow morning. :)

I usually put berries in the bowl, scoop oats on top, then add a good three-finger pinch of slivered or sliced nuts as garnish. This partially cooks the berries, something I appreciate first thing in the morning.

I'm working on a business plan. what I have in mind is sort of an upscale (for a small rural town, lol!) cafe/bakery.

Light breakfast and lunch menu, with baked goods in a beautiful pastry case.

No joke, many times over the years, people have told me I make incredible oatmeal. :rolleyes: I'm always surprised when there's any sort of breakfast potluck and I bring oatmeal, how many people will choose that over other lovely (and more elaborate) breakfast dishes. I'd like to have oatmeal on the menu, with every topping I can think of as a possible "mix In", a la Coldstone Creamery/Marble Slab Creamery. I'm just thinking it through...

I may never actually carry out the plan, but then again, maybe I will. ;)

I will probably have a lot of questions to ask here, and I will be looking for lots of ideas and opinions, so thanks for the input.

I'm working on a business plan. what I have in mind is sort of an upscale (for a small rural town, lol!) cafe/bakery.

That sounds lovely! I had breakfast with friends at just such a place this morning. :)

I don't like toppings but cook-ins. I start the water on the stove and put in chopped fresh apple, a few raisins, and a few chopped walnuts, a sprinkle of cinn and a drip of vanilla. After it has come to a good boil, I put the oatmeal as planned. Of all the things, the apple, hot and slightly softened with cooking, is the best.

I lost track of what everyone else has suggested but here are things we've used.

Strawberries, cinnamon is good with this too.

Peaches with a splash of heavy cream or with cinnamon (for a peach pie flavor)

blackberries

raspberries (my son's favorite)

cherries, sweet or tart

tropical (lemon extract, pineapple and coconut)

Pumpkin but make sure you use the pumpkin pie spices with it.

but the all time favorite at my house is chocolate cherry, cherries, a splash of almond extract, and either cocoa powder or chocolate chips, tastes a bit like chocolate covered cherries.

We love mixing up not only the fruits, but also the extract flavors for some nice variety.

Frosted flakes :blink:

Lemon/orange wedges :blink:

Bacon bits :blink:

The frosted flakes? Well, it's probably just an aberration. I don't think most people would do it, but it seems to be a local culture type of thing?

-And if you haven't tried oatmeal with brown sugar, crumbled bacon, and maple syrup, well...I pity you. :svengo: :D

No joke, many times over the years, people have told me I make incredible oatmeal. :rolleyes: I'm always surprised when there's any sort of breakfast potluck and I bring oatmeal, how many people will choose that over other lovely (and more elaborate) breakfast dishes. I'd like to have oatmeal on the menu, with every topping I can think of as a possible "mix In", a la Coldstone Creamery/Marble Slab Creamery. I'm just thinking it through...

That sounds like a place I'd like to have in my town. You could be like Cereality, but with oatmeal and other real food.

You have listed pumpkin, but I don't think I'd like it with pureed ginger for breakfast. I just use pumpkin and cinnamon and add raisins for texture.

Mixed berries: blueberries, strawberries,raspberries, blackberries (any combination or all)

Grated apple, raisins, cinnamon

For a treat, I'll sometimes add chunks of dark chocolate with cinnamon, or with the pumpkin

I would be grossed out by crumpled cookies, Frosted flakes, sprinkles, frosting, marshmallows...that line. Oatmeal is a healthy choice and there are so many yummy toppings that are also good for you to choose from. I think if I sat down in a restaurant and saw those on the menu, I would have a negative reaction (even if there were also healthy things.) I'm not saying that I should have a negative reaction, just that I probably would.

I wouldn't go for the bacon, either, but my kids probably would--though they would probably rather just have some slices of it.

I noticed most of your choices are sweet toppings (which I prefer) but in most of Asia they eat a dish similar to oatmeal called congee that is usually made with rice instead of oatmeal but is very similar. Usually it is served with savory toppings. Think dried or shredded meat, eggs, veggies, shallots, and salty type things. If you google it, you will find tons of things.

I use salt and pepper. I HATE sweet breakfast stuff! I am into stirring the whole oat grains for the good half-hour on the stove and sticking the batch in the 'fridge. Hubby nukes his bowl and adds fruit. Me - savory only!

After reading the above posts, I might stir in some sunflower seeds tomorrow. Maybe.

I may never actually carry out the plan, but then again, maybe I will. ;)

I will probably have a lot of questions to ask here, and I will be looking for lots of ideas and opinions, so thanks for the input.

Sounds truly lovely.

Peaches or peach puree (like peaches and cream) when in season. Mango puree (I"m thinking along the lines of the mango lassi flavor), maybe?

Despite how scandalous my dd thinks this is, I will sometimes buy jars of baby food fruits and mix it in. I just don't have time to puree fruit in the morning!