Menu

What can I do with chickpeas besides make hummus?

ksr5377

A friend thought she was going to make all the hummus her household eats and bought a large amount of chickpeas. She's made it twice and has given up and gifted me with the remaining chickpeas. They are dry and I have about 12 lbs of them. We do eat hummus and I'm sure I'll make some but I need some other ideas.

Chickpeas are very versatile. I use them a lot; they are a staple in my kitchen. Here are some ideas:

1. Put them in a salad. Great protein.

2. Add them to chili.

3. I use them any time I want to turn a main meal vegetarian.

4. Mash up some avocados. Add garlic powder, salt, and a smidge of cayenne. Add some chickpeas, a died up tomato or two, and some parsley. Stuff in pitas and enjoy. You could also put some shredded lettuce in there...

hth!

Guest inoubliable

:svengo: What CAN'T you do with chick peas?? Get to googlin'! A lot of vegans who crave a meaty texture, rely on chick peas to recreate non-vegan dishes. Use them for taco filling, cutlets, Indian food, soups, salads, chickpea salad (like chicken or tuna salad),

Falafel

As others have said, Indian-style chole or channa masala/

For potlucks lately, I've been making a couscous salad with a dressing/base using orange juice and raisins and olive oil and spices, and I toss in a good number of chickpeas, too.

I like them plain on salads.

My daughter has been making the chickpea cutlets from here recently: http://www.theppk.com/tag/chickpeas/

Excuse me? You can bake falafel? Does it actually come out okay? Directions/recipes/hints????

I look up a different recipe every time, then don't follow it very well, so I'm an inconsistent falafel maker. The main thing is to spray with olive oil, and bake in a cast iron skillet.

HappyHerbivore.com has a chickpea Teriyaki that is really good. We also make falafel from scratch. My daughter loves chickpeas. I use to make a Ricearoni box up and add chickpeas at the end to boost the protien but I cannot handle the msg anymore. Those were the poor days......

Mock Tuna salad uses chickpeas as well.....

I look up a different recipe every time, then don't follow it very well, so I'm an inconsistent falafel maker. The main thing is to spray with olive oil, and bake in a cast iron skillet.

Fascinating. I have a cast iron skillet. I will investigate this further!

Happy Herbivore also has a Chickpea tender recipe that is alot like chicken nuggets......Everyday Happy Herbivore book.

Also, I make a Mediterranean soup with a Minestroni base and red lentils amd garlic and cumin. Add the chickpeas at the end. It is yummy.

Indian Chole

Our favorite chickpea recipe. In fact, we just had it last night for supper.

You can (obviously) use dried instead of canned; we've done it both ways. We also often add some pineapple and/or coconut milk to change it up a bit. Oh, so good!

I'm doing low carb and have been craving Chole. It's going to be the first meal I have after I'm done with this induction phase.

I love chick peas and could just eat them plain!

Make pasta ceci. It's like pasta fagioli, only with chick peas instead of cannellini. My mother made either one, depending which beans she had on hand.

Here are some yummy salads recipes using chick peas.

Chick Pea Salad

3 small tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges

½ c pitted black olives, coarsely chopped

1 green onion, thinly sliced

1 can (or two cups cooked dried) chick peas, drained

2 Tbs. red wine vinegar

2 Tbs. olive oil

1 tsp. Dijon style mustard

¼ tsp. salt

In a med. bowl, whisk vinegar, oil, mustard, and salt. Add remaining ingredients. Toss well. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.

Cucumber Chickpea Salad

Ingredients:

• 2 can chickpeas, drained
  • 1 cup chopped tomatoes ( or more if you like tomatoes)
  • 1/2 cup minced onions
  • 1/2 cup sliced celery
  • 1 cucumber sliced and chopped
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon dill weed
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil

Instructions:

Mix oil & vinegar well and set aside.

Combine all other ingredients and toss with the oil and vinegar mixture. Chill before serving and garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.

I was going to just link to this one which I had pinned on Pinterest, but the link no longer works. I'm glad I saved the recipe! Dh and ds didn't care for this, but I love it.

Chickpea Mango Lunch Bowl

Yield: 2

Ingredients

• 1 can chickpeas

• 1 mango, peeled and cut into cubes

• 1 cup chopped cucumber

• 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped (cilantro would be yummy, too)

• 1/4 cup crumbled feta

• 1 tbsp light oil (I used extra virgin olive)

• 2 tbsp fresh lime juice

• salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients except for oil, lime juice, and s & p to a mixing bowl. Combine until all mixed together. In a small bowl, whisk oil and lime juice, and pour over chickpea mango mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste!

This tastes best if left to hang out in the fridge for a couple hours, but really is fantastic right away, too.

If you can't decide, and you have the freezer space, just cook and freeze them. As with other beans, be sure to freeze them in some of the liquid so they don't dry out. In any recipe that calls for a can, use about 2 cups of your dried chickpeas. Measure them after they're cooked.

We eat garbanzo beans all the time. I have lots more recipes, but here's what I have already typed.

Couscous with spicy garlic sauce and garbanzos (you can use bulgur instead of the couscous if you like)

Spicy paneer and garbanzos

Falafel

I love to just saute some onions and oil, then add lots of garlic and some cooked garbanzo beans. Sometimes I season them with Indian spices (mustard seed, cumin, fenugreek, fennel, turmeric, cayenne, and nigella), but my favorite is with zaatar. I use olive oil if I do zaatar and vegetable oil for Indian spices and cook everything till the garbanzos are starting to get a little crisp. We'll eat this as a side dish.

I also make a Pakistani pilaf with lots of spices and lots of garbanzo beans that's delicious and not very hard. It takes a little time to prepare, but then it cooks for a while and you can work on other parts of the meal. The recipe is here- look for the chickpea variation at the end.

And there's a Burmese chickpea and lemongrass soup that's delicious. And lots of others, so I'll stop there.

My kids like them just boiled and sprinkled with salt and pepper. (They got that idea from reading one of the "All of a Kind Family" books.)

I usually toss them in a curried dish with sweet potatoes, broccoli, and yogurt or coconut milk. Authentic Indian cuisine is better, but it's pretty good.

I remember that scene!

Pasta ceci

make a sauce base (saute evoo, garlic, onions, salt, pepper, and a bit of hot pepper flakes-it makes a huge difference, so try a bit)

into this, add a few grated carrots

then pour in your crushed tomatoes

add in the cooked beans

when it all gets lovely in the pan and turns a bright orangey color, it's done. We use Ditalini macaroni and lot of stink cheese.

It's a total comfort food.

Just remembered I'd typed the Burmese soup. This is from Naomi Duguid's new cookbook about Burma

Chickpea soup with lemongrass and ginger

2 1/2 cups cooked garbanzos (if you use canned, drain them)

2 1/2 cups water

1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed and smashed

2 slices ginger

2 tablespoons oil

1/8 tsp turmeric

1/4 cup minced shallots

1 tsp salt, or to taste

2-3 tablespoons minced cilantro

Limes

Put the water and garbanzos in a pot and bring to a boil and cook for a couple of minutes till they're soft.  Mash the beans up a bit, as much as you like, although I don't like to purée them. You can use a blender or food processor or immersion blender if you want, or you don't have to mash them at all.  Add the lemongrass and ginger and more water if you need it to make it soupy. Bring to a boil and simmer about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small skillet.  Add the turmeric and shallots and sauté till the shallots have softened.  Add them to the soup with the salt, and taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Serve hot or at room temperature, topped with the cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

Just remembered I'd typed the Burmese soup. This is from Naomi Duguid's new cookbook about Burma

Chickpea soup with lemongrass and ginger

2 1/2 cups cooked garbanzos (if you use canned, drain them)

2 1/2 cups water

1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed and smashed

2 slices ginger

2 tablespoons oil

1/8 tsp turmeric

1/4 cup minced shallots

1 tsp salt, or to taste

2-3 tablespoons minced cilantro

Limes

Put the water and garbanzos in a pot and bring to a boil and cook for a couple of minutes till they're soft.  Mash the beans up a bit, as much as you like, although I don't like to purée them. You can use a blender or food processor or immersion blender if you want, or you don't have to mash them at all.  Add the lemongrass and ginger and more water if you need it to make it soupy. Bring to a boil and simmer about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small skillet.  Add the turmeric and shallots and sauté till the shallots have softened.  Add them to the soup with the salt, and taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Serve hot or at room temperature, topped with the cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

That looks good, and I have everything except the lemongrass... that's the good part about living as couple blocks from a grocery store... I'm rarely actually "out" of anything. :D DH is out tonight, so we're off menu, and I've been casting about. Thinking this soup and some pan fried tilapia.

• 5 weeks later...

Dead tomato?

Dyed tomato?

Diced tomato?

Dried tomato?

:confused1:

Sounds like a good combo, once I determine the life status of the tomato!

Chickpeas are very versatile. I use them a lot; they are a staple in my kitchen. Here are some ideas:

1. Put them in a salad. Great protein.

2. Add them to chili.

3. I use them any time I want to turn a main meal vegetarian.

4. Mash up some avocados. Add garlic powder, salt, and a smidge of cayenne. Add some chickpeas, a died up tomato or two, and some parsley. Stuff in pitas and enjoy. You could also put some shredded lettuce in there...

hth!