Menu

what is your favorite way to cook a whole chicken??

ProudGrandma

Roast from frozen:

At 11:00am turn on oven to 250 or so (275 if it's a big one)

Spritz rock hard frozen chicken with oil spray to make spices stick. Season to taste.

Put it in the oven.

Test temperature at 30 min before eating, raise oven temperature if needed... It depends on the size of the chicken but most are completely done well before that point, but somehow not dry either.

I roast it on a rack in a roasing pan, seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and with pats of butter generously piled around the top. Under the rack I put diced root veggies of whatever variety caught my eye at the farmer's marker that week. The next day I make stock with the carcass.

I'll make chicken salad out of a whole bird. At least I did when we ate meat. It lasts bout a week for lunches and snacks

Another favorite was simply seasoned and roasted. I've also put one into a crock pot and cooked until falling off the bean tender.

Oh, I've boiled them to make broth then deboned the chicken. I'll save some for another dish such as gumbo or chicken and rice but use the other bit for chicken noodle soup.

I roast it stuffed with apples or oranges and onions with a bunch of butter and onions under the skin and just a little chicken broth and apple or orange juice. A couple bay leaves in the chicken too and a few spices on top. If I used oranges than I coat the chicken with orange marmalade about 10 min before pulling it out.

Roast sticky chicken! I have been making this for years and everyone loves it! It makes delicious gravy, too. Please note that the recipe is for two chickens. Enjoy!

http://allrecipes.co...tisserie-style/

:iagree: this is the only way I make chickens now. But two things I will note, first if using 2 chickens it's for 4 pounds chickens which personally I find to be impossibly small (but then look at my family size) plus I think you get a lot more meat on 1 8 pound chicken than 2 4 pound chickens (because they are so skinny you are paying for bones and skin twice). SO I use the recipe for 1 chicken (7-8) pound range. Second this recipe works fabulous in the crockpot - you won't have crispy skin but it's wonderfully to come home after a busy day and have the main part of the meal done and just have to throw together a quick side or two.

Roast sticky chicken! I have been making this for years and everyone loves it! It makes delicious gravy, too. Please note that the recipe is for two chickens. Enjoy!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roast-sticky-chicken-rotisserie-style/

I am going to try this one tomorrow...can I add veggies in the roasting pan? Like potatoes and carrots??

We butchered chickens this fall and so we have lots of them in our freezer...so I need some different ways to cook these birds. So what is your favorite way???

If I want the meat for other things (casseroles, burritos, etc) I do it the "Chinese way." I have no idea if this is really Chinese or not, but a friend's Chinese MIL taught her this and that's how she described it to me.

Basically, stick the whole chicken in a pot of water so that water covers the bird. Turn the heat to high. When the water boils, allow it to do so for 2 minutes, then cover the pot, turn the heat off, and let it sit there until the whole thing is cooled down. This will take an hour or more. When you pull the chicken (no longer particularly hot) out of the pot, you can easily separate the meat from the bones and skin. It's easy, clean, kind of boring, and as little mess as I know in order to get chicken meat:)

I do mine in a crockpot. Not because it's necessarily the 'best' way, but because it has a lot of give. I can put it in a few hours early if I have a busy day, I can leave it late if DH has to stay late at work, etc. If I totally forget about it, not a big deal. I just throw it in with some spices, carrots, celery, sometimes some potatoes (which I usually end up mashing later, but they have a great chicken-y flavour), and it's done.

my favorite roasted: Roast Chicken

Preheat oven to 450

Wash and dry bird, and rub inside w kosher salt

Sprinkle outside with thyme, pepper, onion (lightly) and table salt

Place breast-side down on sprayed roasting rack

(potatoes may be placed in the pan)

Roast for 25 minutes

Flip bird and turn heat down to 400

Cook until thermometer pops up (or in thickest part of breast registers 160 degrees and 175 degrees in thickest part of thigh, 10 to 20 minutes)

dh's favorite slow-cooker chicken

Ingredients

1 (3 pound) whole chicken, fat and skin removed

1/2 cup chicken broth

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup honey

Zest and juice of 2 lemons

2 teaspoon sesame oil

piece of ginger

big dash of OJ

2 stalks celery, diced

1-2 sweet red peppers, sliced

1-2 lb whole mushrooms

Directions

• Remove skin from chicken, and empty inner cavity of contents within.
  • Pat chicken dry with a paper towel.
  • Put sesame oil in slow-cooker, and quickly brown chicken, breast down
  • Move pot to slow-cooker base, and add chicken broth, soy sauce, honey, lemon parts, OJ, and ginger and celery.
  • Cook on high for 1 hour, turn to medium, and cook another hour
  • Add vegetables, cook another hour, then flip chicken over and cook 1 more hour.

Remove meat and veggies to separate serving containers. Strain some of the liquid and boil/thicken as a gravy. Serve with rice.

1. In the crockpot.
  2. I loosen the skin so I can rub my spice mix all over the meat while leaving the skin on. Approximately 1 tsp. each of: salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Add enough oil to make a paste. Coat meat under skin and inside cavity.
  3. Quarter a pound of mushrooms, place in crockpot.
  4. Separate and peel cloves of 1 head of garlic, place in crockpot.
  5. Place chicken in crockpot on top of vegetables.
  6. If desired, add a jar of spicy olives around chicken.
  7. Peel and quarter an onion and place in cavity.
  8. Do NOT add water.
  9. Cook on high for 2 hours and on low for 4-5 additional hours.