Menu

Awkward Family Photos: Home Waterbirth Edition

Kathryn

Oh. Oh no. NO!

Just... Yuck.

(FTR, I also have no issue with home birth, water birth, or any other kind of birth that makes the birther happy. But I draw the line way before inviting the family to sit in a pool of my bodily fluids for photos.)

You just said everything I was going to say. Let me add a :ack2:

I'm not looking. I'm sick, and it sounds like this picture will make me lose it.

I do not hold waterbirth against anyone - different strokes and all that - but I have seen a lot of pictures, and I have always found them disgusting. Often, more than just the baby comes out. The water always looks nasty, and like an infection waiting to happen. Laboring in a clean tub of clean water, fine. Staying in it to bond after the contents of the mother's pelvic area have been expelled into it, gross. I have a thing about yucky water. A birth tub is something I just cannot imagine staying in.

That isn't blood. It can't be. There is part of me that thinks that someone used photoshop to change the color to something dark enough to cover up the kids, so that they could have it and not be accused of child p**n. They chose a rather unfortunate color, IMHO. But what else would have worked? Blue? Think ty-d-bowl. Green? there is no good choice, if you ask me.

I feel sorry for this family who had someone take a special moment in their lives, albeit awkward to the viewer, and after the fact, and have it put on that site. Unless THEY did it. ANd if they did, then I don't think they have a problem with it.

Some people equate nursing to p**n, so not all individual sensibilites agree.

blah blah blah. I do love that site, though.

I'm trying to decide if I think that color is legit. Women lose around 250-400 cc of blood with a normal v@ginal delivery. If she lost around that volume of blood and the placenta is in there as well, then yes, I think the water could be that dark. There might also be stool in there. :svengo:

It's gross. It's just gross.

It has to be fake. I've had 2 waterbirths and the water looked nothing like that. Not even close.

I love Awkward Family Photos, but this is just going to perpetuate the myth that waterbirth is unsanitary.

That said, my kids weren't even in the room during my births, let alone the tub. Whatever floats your boat though (pun intended).

I hate that site, and hate is a pretty strong word in my vocabulary. It makes fun of people, behind their backs, and serves no decent purpose in society at large. Really, how pretty did any of us look after giving birth? Would you like those photos up for everyone to point and laugh at?

A lot of people submit photos of themselves.

http://pinterest.com...56477263194147/

this one from awkwardfamilyphotos.com is the best lol

That pinterest photo is just awesome. I wonder why his pants were off?? And why would you gom into someone else's room pantless, let alone underwear-less??

I soaked in a tub after my DS was born and the tub water did turn reddish. I bled instensely after him for a couple of hours and then almost stopped completely. But I didn't invite DH to sit in the tub with me and he would have run screaming from the room at the suggestion.

I hate that site, and hate is a pretty strong word in my vocabulary. It makes fun of people, behind their backs, and serves no decent purpose in society at large. Really, how pretty did any of us look after giving birth? Would you like those photos up for everyone to point and laugh at?

They are largely self-submitted. There are some from online, but most predate facebook and blogs.

I've had four water births. With two of them the water did look like afterward that due to bleeding. With the other two the water was clear because I did not have heavy bleeding. I did not desire or allow my other children to be in the tub with me. That would have been seriously annoying instead of relaxing--and relaxation is the point of using a birthing tub.

The photo did make me queasy. I cropped the birth photos we shared to remove the bloody water because most people (including me) would react negatively.

I have never done a waterbirth, but do think the water could look like that. :ack2: The comments were interesting and one commenter brought up a good point- with all of the normal bacteria on most children (and people in general) it's probably not a smart idea to let anyone in the pool with you after the birth, with the open uterine wound and all. :ack2: :ack2: Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Guest submarines
http://pinterest.com/pin/123356477263194147/ this one from awkwardfamilyphotos.com is the best lol

This photo has given me quite a lot of thought! lol But I do feel really bad for the pantless couple.

A lot of people submit photos of themselves.

What about other people being included in the photos? In the photo above, the couple who posted the photo took advantage of another couple who, for one reason or another, were in a vulnerable state.

I've had four water births. With two of them the water did look like afterward that due to bleeding. With the other two the water was clear because I did not have heavy bleeding. I did not desire or allow my other children to be in the tub with me. That would have been seriously annoying instead of relaxing--and relaxation is the point of using a birthing tub.

The photo did make me queasy. I cropped the birth photos we shared to remove the bloody water because most people (including me) would react negatively.

Thank you for saying your birth water was bloody! I was beginning to feel like a freak. :)

We didn't make it to the hospital in time to have DS in the tub so they let me soak after the birth to help my back, I held and nursed DS in the tub but the idea of having an older child and spouse in there too just squicks me out. Once they are out of your body and the cord has healed (so around 6 years old...) it's time to stop sharing bodily fluids.

This photo has given me quite a lot of thought! lol But I do feel really bad for the pantless couple.

What about other people being included in the photos? In the photo above, the couple who posted the photo took advantage of another couple who, for one reason or another, were in a vulnerable state.

And if you are going to wander around a medical center without pants or underwear, then whatever happens is your fault. I mean, the entire congratulating the other couple was a nice idea but how for love of all that's precious, do you forget your pants?!?! And whose DH comes to the birth and removes his pants?? Did he poop the twin out?? What the heck were these people thinking??

I can kind of see the woman doing it. But I needed to wear sanitary napkins after birthing. I thought most women did.

If a man came into my room without pants or underwear, I'd be calling for security!!!

Most of them are "Oh, my gosh, this was me and my sister in 1983..."

And, in all honesty, I think when they walked into someone else's room without pants, it's hard to feel that THEY are being imposed upon. I mean, they POSED FOR THE PICTURE. With no pants. It's not like the People of Wal-mart pictures.

http://pinterest.com/pin/123356477263194147/

this one from awkwardfamilyphotos.com is the best lol

CLEARLY, the couple with the baby was willing to take the extra step to encourage labor and it worked really fast. They didn't have time to put their drawers back on before visiting. MAYBE it was a demo: "THIS is how WE moved things along." The other couple needs to get with the program

And if you are going to wander around a medical center without pants or underwear, then whatever happens is your fault. I mean, the entire congratulating the other couple was a nice idea but how for love of all that's precious, do you forget your pants?!?! And whose DH comes to the birth and removes his pants?? Did he poop the twin out?? What the heck were these people thinking?? I can kind of see the woman doing it. But I needed to wear sanitary napkins after birthing. I thought most women did. If a man came into my room without pants or underwear, I'd be calling for security!!!

Completely agree.

CLEARLY, the couple with the baby was willing to take the extra step to encourage labor and it worked really fast. They didn't have time to put their drawers back on before visiting. MAYBE it was a demo: "THIS is how WE moved things along." The other couple needs to get with the program

:smilielol5: I almost spit out my orange juice.