Menu

Where is your To Do list?

HomeschoolMamaOfTwo

OK I know this is somewhat of an odd question, but I am wondering...

Where is your To Do List?

Do you keep in on the fridge, a paper list, dry erase, a planner, in your head, on your computer, in your phone, or something else?

For some reason, I seem to think that I can just remember what I need to do. Um, no, that doesn't work for me. So, I try writing it down, well then I never go back and check things off or reference it, I still just end up trying to remember it. I've done it on a dry erase on the fridge, it never gets updated frequently. I think I just suck at To Do Lists, but I desperately need one. Any tips for me? And how do you do yours?

If its remotely time sensitive, I've started making a reminder w/ alert/alarm on my phone. The incentive to NOT hear the alarm is incredibly motivating, and it will repeat day after day after day, until I complete the task. :) Also, I have an iPhone so will admit I'm 100% spoiled insofar as dictating: "remind me when I get home to xyz", and "remind me to get milk when I go to King Soopers" etc. and Siri creates a reminder that is GPS activated (for place I've entered). Pretty freakin handy!!

Other than relying on those alerts, I generally make lists on my phone or tablet- a saved email draft in my gmail folder, so its globally accessible. Odd I know (and realize there are better systems), but it works for me :)

I have my daily to-do's on my planner. I keep a master list in a composition book. Someone here recommended the book Getting Things Done and it's been very helpful in creating a really effective to-do list. The author really thinks that it's best to not try to keep tasks in your head because it takes mental energy all the time. Better to have them written down.

Hope that helps!

Do you keep in on the fridge, a paper list, dry erase, a planner, in your head, on your computer, in your phone, or something else?

.... I've done it on a dry erase on the fridge, it never gets updated frequently. I think I just suck at To Do Lists, but I desperately need one. Any tips for me? And how do you do yours?

Not an odd question, I asked it myself a few years ago. It's taken me years to work out a good system for myself. I use a paper-weekly calendar/planner. Each day is assigned a type of task, and I stick the to-do on the appropriate day. If a day is getting too busy, I'll wait a week if possible.

I keep a list going in my paper planner of general to-do items. When I make a plan for the day, I write it on a post-it note and put it on the cover of my laptop. I don't do this every day -- only days with lots of things out of the ordinary or to help me really focus on being productive.

Paper works much better for me than electronic systems. And having the post-it on my laptop cover has the added benefit of forcing me to look at my list before I do anything on the computer all day long. I love when I can cross the last thing off and rip that post-it note off!

I have tried them all. Paper seems to work ok as long as it doesn't get carried off in the wind. I have tried using a to-do list app on my phone but for some reason or another I just can't seem to stay on top of things that way. I might have to resort to the old-old school way and write things on my arm/hand. I will definitely see it and threrefore cannot ignore/forget things.

For some reason, I seem to think that I can just remember what I need to do. Um, no, that doesn't work for me. So, I try writing it down, well then I never go back and check things off or reference it, I still just end up trying to remember it. I've done it on a dry erase on the fridge, it never gets updated frequently. I think I just suck at To Do Lists, but I desperately need one. Any tips for me? And how do you do yours?

I have an app on my phone called Things. That's where my to-do list is.

For short-term things, I use a dry-erase board on the fridge. I write down everything that needs to be done and then put them in a reasonable order of importance. I loooove to erase each item as I finish it!

For long-term things, or huge projects with smaller components, I use a legal note pad, again putting things in order of importance.

I've started using Toodledo.com. You might find it useful to take a look at just the to do list portion of David Allen's book "Getting Things Done". It talks about getting things out of your head and into a "trusted system". But, the secret to getting it off your mind is that you know it will not get lost in your system—there are regular check-ins wherever you have your list, regular processing of new items, etc. The whole GTD system can be overwhelming, but even this small part of it can be a big help.

Erica in OR

I buy small legal pads. They're yellow and noticeable. I leave the current one on the kitchen counter.

Usually I make my list for the day and I cross it off as I finish. When the list starts to get crowded I tear off the page and move over anything I still need (usually not much if anything).

For long range projects or stuff with or for dh I put it on his Kanban board. Its a white board on the pantry door that has columns for Want to Do, Doing, Done, and Waiting. Most of the stuff on there is long term projects. Each task is written on a post-it note and moves between columns as things happen.

It sounds chaotic, but it's on various random bits of paper that can be found at my desk, on the kitchen counter, in my purse, etc. I do try to consolidate them to one master list as I go along. I've tried so many systems--notebooks, electronic devices, etc. I always go back to this. It sounds disorganized, but it works for me.

I have a four subject pocket size notebook. The first section is my daily to-do list, made up Friday evenings and adjusted through the week as needed. I have each day listed and things I need to do for that day penciled in. First I write in work things I need to do for each day, then add in any appointments, then add in all the other stuff I need to do that week where ever I see a block of time available. The next section is my menu plan for the week. The third section is my monthly budget and where I mark off bills as they are paid. The final section is my ongoing to-do list where I write down things I need/want to do but that aren't time sensitive. I scan this section when I make up my weekly list and pick one or two things to fit in to the weekly list where I am able.

Time sensitive but in the future things go on my phone so I get a reminder a few days beforehand. All calendar items also go on my calendar app.

My list book lives near by computer, since that's where I work and also where I usually end my day. I glance over it a couple of times a day or until everything is crossed out.

If its remotely time sensitive, I've started making a reminder w/ alert/alarm on my phone. The incentive to NOT hear the alarm is incredibly motivating, and it will repeat day after day after day, until I complete the task. :) Also, I have an iPhone so will admit I'm 100% spoiled insofar as dictating: "remind me when I get home to xyz", and "remind me to get milk when I go to King Soopers" etc. and Siri creates a reminder that is GPS activated (for place I've entered). Pretty freakin handy!!

Other than relying on those alerts, I generally make lists on my phone or tablet- a saved email draft in my gmail folder, so its globally accessible. Odd I know (and realize there are better systems), but it works for me :)

Nope, not odd. That's pretty much what I do, too. (or, ok, I might also be a little odd.) In fact, there's a book I read that had something to do with organizing with Google (that's probably the title), and drafts and such was part of it. I love the searchability.

And I am totally jealous of the gps triggered alerts. I have a 4, and have searched high and low for an app that will do exactly that. :cursing:

Eta: Yup, I was close. Getting Organized in the Google Era

That is exactly what I do. It's pretty effective!

I use a portfolio similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Samsill-70820-Professional-Zippered-Pockets/dp/B0013CLTKE/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1355106613&sr=8-16&keywords=portfolio

It is letter sized,has pockets for "pending" things (right now has license renewal form, a birthday card I need to send this week, a receipt I need to return something, and the kids' Christmas lists), is zippered so when I take it somewhere, nothing falls out. It is also difficult to lose because of the size. Another benefit is that it uses the vertical type paper, so I can just flip the paper under. All information is there to look something up if needed.

I will give you an example of how I use it. I have my basic to-do list. One thing on the list was "call cable company to check rates". So, when I did this, I wrote the information on the right-hand side of the page along with the name of the person I spoke with. I can't tell you how often I have looked back at past information.

I hope you find something that works for you!

Written on paper and stuck on the outside of my kitchen cabinet. I cross off as I go. I also have my shopping list in the same place, where I write items as I realize I need them. I also write appmpts, games, events on our calendar on the fridge.

I actually have this feature, and it would help me, but I totally forget to use it! I should...

Chucki,

What do you use for a home page, and what's the widget? I was using iGoogle but switched to Net Vibes after a thread here. I haven't played around with it much though.

My home/start page is netvibes. The widget just says "ToDo" at the top. It looks just like the one I had with igoogle.

I'm definitely taking notes from the previous posters. Right now for daily things it is in flagged items in my email, or calendar reminders. For groceries, I just put things I need to pick up on the whiteboard on the front of the fridge and add it to my shopping list when it comes time for grocery shopping. DH takes care of the bills and most everything is setup within the online bill pay, but we also use Pocketsmith.com for keeping track of our budget and financial forecasting (I LOVE Pocketsmith and highly recommend it, btw).

I need to find a way to take down notes when I'm at a meeting or something and remember to do it. Writing myself an email is the most efficient right now because paper notes in my purse tend to be found a month later.

I keep a list going in my paper planner of general to-do items. When I make a plan for the day, I write it on a post-it note and put it on the cover of my laptop. I don't do this every day -- only days with lots of things out of the ordinary or to help me really focus on being productive.

Paper works much better for me than electronic systems. And having the post-it on my laptop cover has the added benefit of forcing me to look at my list before I do anything on the computer all day long. I love when I can cross the last thing off and rip that post-it note off!

That is such a good idea. I spend way more time on my laptop than I do on my to do list, unfortunately.