Menu

What do you think is the ideal clothing size for women?

I know this poll isn't addressed to me and I haven't read any of the other responses, but:

The ideal clothing size for a woman is the size that fits her comfortably.

I would never try to discourage a woman from losing weight for her health or because it makes her feel better. But I would also not want to see her struggle needlessly because of some "ideal" image that has nothing to do with the reality of her body.

OK, I'm done now.

Thank you! Fortunately my dh feels the same way or I would struggle even more with my weight then I already do.

• 1 year later...

I didn't realise U.S. sizes were different- a U.K/Australian size 12 is a U.S. size 10. I am a U.S. size 10, at 130 #. I am 5'2". As far as I am concerned this is pretty much my natural weight for my age (42). I have been a few pounds lighter but never been skinny. I don't feel overweight, I dont look thin, I have curves, I eat butter and cream and whatever I choose although I eat healthy and dont eat much junk. My exercise is walking and yoga- nothing particularly strenuous.

I do think it varies a lot from individual to individual. My mother is 5'10" and when she was slim in her early twenties she didnt feel healthy at all. She has a bigger boned build.

Although we only pay lip service to it, I think some of us really are meant to be bigger and smaller than others. I also think that carrying some weight is not as unhealthy as it is made out to be.

Gotta love ya, Drew.

For me, I am 5'8" and have a slight build, small frame (very skinny wrists and ankles) but fairly wide hips. A size 10 is probably healthiest for me. Anything bigger is just unhealthy flab. I loved how I looked in a size 8, but I had more blood sugar fluctuations when I was that size. I was a size 6 before I had children, a size 8 after my first 2. After my third, my health went kaput (thyroid, adrenal, knee problems, back problems) and I am between a 12 and 14. I am working with a trainer to get myself back on track. I have to admit that a reasonable goal after 40 is much harder to achieve than before.

Ideal size for me is _______.

Ideal size "for women" cannot be answered. Everything depends on the woman's frame size (size of bone structure), height, and personal comfort zone. Maybe the question was intended to ask, "What is the ideal clothing size for you?" -- ? ?

Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 and I don't think I'd complain too loudly if I looked like her, either.

I wouldn't complain if I looked like her either, but she would not be a 14 in todays sizes. They've changed considerably. She'd probably be more like a size 10.

I am in a 14 now and in no way am I even the same size she was. No way. I need to lose about 30 lbs or so. I am 5' 6" and I look and feel my best (not emaciated and not flabby) at about 120. I was 115 in high school, and did not look underweight even then. I cannot wear many ladies watches even now due to my thin wrists. If that means I'm small framed, I must be. Oh, and I am now, and have always been an A cup. :tongue_smilie:

It's also a matter of perspective. Very very few people are at their ideal weight, and when they are people make those "You're so skinny!!" comments. Compared to the rest of us (and I include myself), anyone not carrying at least an extra 10 lbs or so looks skinny.

Even just 10 lbs can adversely affect your health. Fat is not inert. It doesn't just sit there looking bad, it does bad things to your body. It doesn't take 50 lbs of it to do those things either.

ETA: Interesting article on vanity sizing:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/05/05/0_is_the_new_8/

Edited by darlasowders
adding on

I'm just slightly under 5'4", with a medium frame and short torso, and feel best in a 6. Right now I wear an 8 (pants) and they are slightly too big, but a 6 is just a bit too tight. I need to start exercising again! Any time I've let my size 6 get loose, I start to get the "you're too thin" comments, so while I never thought I was too skinny in a 5, apparently my best friends and my husband think I look emaciated at that size.

I absolutely do not understand women's clothing sizes at all.

One of my dds is 5'6 and weighs 170 lbs. She wears a size 12.

Another one is 5'6 and weighs 135 lbs and wears a size 2.

I am 5'7 and weigh 125 and I wear a size 8.

One is 5'6 and weighs 113 and wears a size 1.

Last year when I was down to 115, I was in a size 6.

There does not seem to be any pattern to this at all. Best I can tell it has to do with your body shape not weight. For instance, the two that are closest to me in size have much smaller hips because they have never given birth. One of my dds is very busty (DD cup) but she wears the same size shirt as me and the one that weighs 113 (we are a A cups) because her rib cage is much smaller where as ours are much larger, therefore the overall measurements are about the same. Men's clothing sizes make much more sense to me. A size 32" waist is just that regardless of the rest of your build.

The size that fits me.

As in, being able to get a pair of jeans where half my butt doesn't hang out because they think all women my size are flat-butt, wider hipped teens who likes wearing their pants at the bikini line.

That would be ideal for me.

:rant:

Guest Katia

I am 5'9" and very large-boned. I wear a size 12 shoe if that helps the visualization process.

The size I feel the slimmest and prettiest, is 14, or for some manufacturers a 16. By the time I hit a 12, I look anorexic and simply can not eat a thing to stay at that size. But a size 8.......I would be a sack of bones and sick, sick, sick. That is SO not the perfect size to me, lol.

So, yeah, 14-16 is perfect.

I'm at a 18-20 / 20-22 right now......so I have something to strive towards. :001_smile:

I am 5'7" and felt and looked my best when I was 145 lbs. and a size 10. This is what I weighed half-way through my freshman year of college when I was unstressed, was walking all over campus, had access to a variety of prepared vegetables, and had time to play sports with groups of people. Any less than that and I start looking strangely off-proportioned. I have had hips ever since puberty, so even at age 14 when I was 5'5" and 118 pounds I still had to wear an 8, I believe, though I looked kind of stick-like.

After I have the baby I'm excited to work back towards this goal--I've let my weight creep up so that 8 years after my freshman year I was a size 14 pre-pregnancy.

I'm 5'2" and have a small frame. Size 2-4 is ideal for me, though I've been smaller and larger than that at various times since having kids. Vanity sizing also seems to be more of an issue in the past few years, so what size I wear can vary depending on the brand.

Sizes vary so much from store to store but I'm generally a misses size 2 or a juniors 5/7. I've gone up to a 6 postpartum. Honestly I prefer the way I look when I fill out during pregnancy and, save for the soft tummy area, I would prefer to stay a 4 but it just isn't happening. I'm 5'4" and have a small frame.

I'm so happy for you and wish you only the best.

Please forgive my rudeness but your question is ridiculous. I read ONLY your post, not responses, but surely you must know that height and build plays the most important role. Size means NOTHING.

Also, I think far too many people make size important, and it has NOTHING to do with health. I have overweight friends who are completely healthy and rail thin friends who aren't. People need to get over THEMSELVES and look within the person they're with to see who they TRULY are, and that doesn't happen enough.

Resonded by someone judged by appearance all my life (outwardly good looking but inwardly beautiful)

Obviously everyone agrees about frame, height and body style making a huge difference.

But I also think that a person's clothing preferences make a big difference in how they percieve themselves. I am 5'8". I weighed 110-120 and wore a 4 in my 20's. 120-130 at a size 6 until 35yo. 135 and holding at a size 8 now as I close in on 40.

Recently I had to stop being as active due to a back injury and have jumped to a size 10. I hated to go buy new clothes as I know once I get back to being active I will go back down to my size 8, but I finally gave in a bought new clothes. I have people saying asking how much weight I have lost and commenting on how good I look..at the bigger size.

I think it is because for the last 3-4 months I was starting to burst out of my size 8s. They didn't fit right, they didn't look good, and they emphasised the worst of me. When I went shopping for new clothes I figured out that my body type had changed and I needed to totally change styles of clothes. Now, at a size 10, I am not real happy with my extra 10lbs, but with properly fitting clothes...I definitely think I look so much better.

I think that if someone wants to shop in the jr.s department with mini shirts and skinny pants, then a smaller tummy, tush and bust line look better (what ever size that may be). If someone wants to dress in office attire, it can be flattering on most sizes. If they want to wear bigger, loose clothing...a bigger frame carries it better and doesn't get lost under the layers.

I didn't realise U.S. sizes were different- a U.K/Australian size 12 is a U.S. size 10. I am a U.S. size 10, at 130 #. I am 5'2". As far as I am concerned this is pretty much my natural weight for my age (42). I have been a few pounds lighter but never been skinny. I don't feel overweight, I dont look thin, I have curves, I eat butter and cream and whatever I choose although I eat healthy and dont eat much junk. My exercise is walking and yoga- nothing particularly strenuous.

I do think it varies a lot from individual to individual. My mother is 5'10" and when she was slim in her early twenties she didnt feel healthy at all. She has a bigger boned build.

Although we only pay lip service to it, I think some of us really are meant to be bigger and smaller than others. I also think that carrying some weight is not as unhealthy as it is made out to be.

Peela, did you realize this poll was over a year old?

I absolutely do not understand women's clothing sizes at all.

One of my dds is 5'6 and weighs 170 lbs. She wears a size 12.

Another one is 5'6 and weighs 135 lbs and wears a size 2.

I am 5'7 and weigh 125 and I wear a size 8.

One is 5'6 and weighs 113 and wears a size 1.

Last year when I was down to 115, I was in a size 6.

There does not seem to be any pattern to this at all. Best I can tell it has to do with your body shape not weight. For instance, the two that are closest to me in size have much smaller hips because they have never given birth. One of my dds is very busty (DD cup) but she wears the same size shirt as me and the one that weighs 113 (we are a A cups) because her rib cage is much smaller where as ours are much larger, therefore the overall measurements are about the same. Men's clothing sizes make much more sense to me. A size 32" waist is just that regardless of the rest of your build.

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Even at my very skinniest I am still a twelve because of my hips. I don't think there is an ideal clothing size...women come in different shapes and different bone structures. A petite woman could wear a size 0 or 2 and look perfect and someone with a larger frame could wear a 12 or a 16 and look perfect.