Menu

Thinking about a water birth...if you've had one...tell me about it! Yay or nay?

Hi! I'm thinking through options for the birth of my third baby. My midwife is strongly encouraging a water birth. If you've had one, what do you think? Can you tell me some pros/cons? I've had two very long completely natural labors due to occiput posterior babies. Both babies did eventually turn, but not until very close to delivery so I had back labor almost the whole time. I don't really mind the long labors...had more time to build up endorphins...but, I'm wondering (if this baby is OP) would a water birth be more "comfortable" for me. I'm using the word "comfortable" loosely b/c I do realize that NO natural labor is "comfortable." :lol:

Thanks!!!

My last was in the water, and it was amazing. Of course it still hurt, but it hurt way more out of the water than in the water. I think my labor was significantly shortened, partially because the water was relaxing, and partially just from not having to pack up and drive to the hospital. I vote for water!

I had an awesome water birth with my second at a birth center. They had a big jacuzzi tub. I would turn the jets on and off and sit with my back up against one. It really took the pain away for awhile and overall made me feel a lot more relaxed.

We had a home birth with my third and had a baby pool. I got in for about 30 minutes and got back out. I wanted to sit on a ball that time around.

Overall, I'm a big advocate for water births. I'd give it a try. It is so much easier to change position in the water as well. The weightless aspect of water helps when you feel as big as a whale.

I had a non medicated birth with DS, and then another one with DD - in the water!

LOVED it and will do it again if we have another. I hit transition very suddenly, so I didn't have a long labor in the water, but when I did get in it was a GREAT relief and it helped kill the hard intensity of transition.

Highly recommend.

I labored in the water with both my kids and DS was born in the water. It was easy peasy. I used a fishie pool (both were born at home).

My labors were both quite long, and pushing with my first was very, very long, so I eventually got out of the tub and tried a variety of other pushing positions. I think it's great to have the water as an option, but don't feel like you have to stay in it if you don't like it.

I got really hot in the tub with my DS and my midwife and DH had to add cool water to make it more comfortable. The opposite can also be true, but it's pretty easy to adjust the temperature.

I had a water birth for my fifth and then didn't for my sixth and seventh (could have, but chose not to). Not a fan. Part of the reason was because my labors are fast (like, 60-90 minutes fast) so it's pretty intense quickly no matter how I do it. The other main part of the reason is because the water got tepid and there was no way to warm it up. It was a home birth and the hot water tank ran out of water. No time to heat anything on the stove. I didn't notice a difference overall with pain or ease of delivery. So, I just went back to what I knew from the three previous home births I'd had -- bear with it for an hour or two and then it will all be over. I'd rather not introduce another factor in to the picture when I just want to concentrate and get done.

That's my story, anyway! :001_smile:

I've done it and loved it. I called it the aquadural because it is so soothing to be in the water! I would advise you to have everything ready for a possible water birth but not decide until the time comes. Some people (like me) don't really fancy the idea but end up finding it wonderful, while others plan a water birth and then feel more comfortable elsewhere. So make sure you have your tub/birthing pool all ready, you can get enough hot water in there, and you have a person ready to top up the water, keep the temperature to your liking etc. Depending on the length of time you're in there, your partner/support person may need to get water out and replace it with hotter water. Also have twice as many towels and blankets as you expect to use, in case you feel like hopping in and out a lot. Once it's all organized, be open minded about whether you end up laboring and/or birthing in the water.

I wanted to labor in water but not birth in water for baby 2. She ended up coming so fast that no one even knew she was being born until she popped into the water! It was a great birth! I chose not to have a water birth for baby 3 (born at home and our tub is top small) and it was definitely a more intense pushing phase.

I had a waterbirth with my third child at a birth center. I labored at home in the bathtub, but it was shallow and uncomfortable. I got to the birth center in transition, and labored standing up while i waited for the tub to fill. Once I got in, I had the urge to push, and it was amazing how clearly my body took control. I think I just pushed through one contraction, and he was born in the caul (the amniotic sac broke as he was born). I not only didn't tear, I didn't even swell or have any soreness. Literally - my body did not feel like I had given birth. My midwife was very impressed and I left about 6 hours after I gave birth. It was a great experience and I recommend having the option. You may not want to deliver in the water, but you won't know until it's time.

First 4 "land" births, next 4 waterbirths. Night and day. The water made all the difference to me. I love the comment above - poster "pink sparkly hearts" water birth :D. Yup, that about says it for me, too.

I did get in a fishy pool with #2 and bathtub with #3 and found the former's sides not rigid/grab-able enough and the latter just way uncomfortable.

We ended up with a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank and have since loaned it out to friends, so it's seen lots of babies born. Another nice option is the actual birth tubs many midwives have to rent, or available online for rental. I plan someday to turn that stock tank into a pond/fountain landscaping feature.

I had a "land birth" for my first three and a water birth this last time. I loved it! In between contractions I felt like I was just taking a nice relaxing bath. My favorite part was that I was able to catch the baby myself - that was very cool. I would definitely do it again.

I labored in the water with my first. That was a hospital birth attended by a CNM. No water "birth" allowed but you could labor in the tub. By the time I was in transition I wanted OUT of the tub and couldn't get comfy, so that worked out okay.

With my 2nd I was at a FSBC, and had the option of waterbirth. My labor was easy and I was really never all that uncomfortable, so we didn't bother.

With my 3rd we were having a homebirth. I wasn't sure I'd want a water birth based on not really feeling like I wanted or needed it in my first and second labors. I tend to have fairly quick and easy labors overall (longest was 6 hours, shortest was 3hrs). I went with a kiddie inflatable pool as an affordable option. We did a trial run with it, etc. and had all of the equipment even though I wasn't sure I'd use it. I did end up using it and it was a great experience. My older two were in the water when my third was born. I was very glad I had the option available to me!

I tore a bit with my first and not much at all with my 2nd, although I think I had a little abrasion (no stitches needed). With my third, I never even needed my much beloved peribottles. Not sure if that was due to it being my third or just the great properties of the water. No feeling of swelling, etc. down below like I had with my first two kids (looooved the ice-filled diapers they'd give me to use on my perineum).

I found water incredibly relaxing for my long labor. The bad part was that it was so relaxing that it stalled my labor. Things would have gone so much faster if I had stayed on land, and I gave birth on land anyway, so if I could do that birth over again, knowing how it would go, I wouldn't bother with the water. But you never know ahead of time!

I've had three babies-

Dd1-birth center, posterior, insane level of pain, mama was terrified. I did get into the tub, and that was the ONLY thing that helped (they did two rounds of saline shots in my back, which let me tell you-they hurt like H3LL!) Was made to get out of the tub because it was relaxing me too much and labor was stalling. My water had broken, and I was on a 12 hour time limit before transfer. I ended up biking transferred and had a horrid hospital birth experience. The whole thing could have been a totally different turn out if I'd had a midwife who helped me through rather than leave me to labor alone, checking on me only every few hours. :glare:

Dd2-home birth with a different midwife. I was much better prepared. I called her and told her not to rush, I was fine and having contractions every 2-3 minutes. She listened to me talk through a contraction and decided to come right away. Baby was born an hour later! I spent that last hour in the tub and she was born there. It was SO incredibly easy, I kept asking MW if this was as bad as it was going to get. :tongue_smilie:I vividly remember thinking as she was coming down the birth canal, crowning, ect. 'Wow!!! This is so cool!!! Its going so fast, I wish it would slow down!!!' :DImmediately wanted to do it again.

Dd3-incredibly hard, fast labor. Woke up and started having contractions, they slowly increased in speed and intensity for three hours, and then the last hour they were SO.HARD. Called midwife, told her not to hurry (see a pattern here???) that I'd only been in labor for three hours, but it was harder than with dd2. (same MW) Got into the tub and pushed twice and she was born...five minutes before MW arrived.:001_smile: Dh was n the phone with her the whole time, and he was a champ. He stayed calm and found the sucker thingy and suckered her nose and mouth. I just sat in the water holding her until MW arrived.

Despite my great experiences with water births, you can't be sure what YOU will want when you go into labor. I'd say, have the option available for sure! You may or may not feel like using it. Congrats!:D

I haven't given birth in water, but labored in a birth pool with my second. It helped with the pain SOOOOOOO much. Would have stayed in but wanted to feel more "grounded" while pushing. So baby was born shortly after getting out and getting on a birth stool. Third baby I invested in bigger, better pool (shared the cost with 3 friends and bough disposable liners), and so far 2 of them gave birth in it and I barely used it. Baby was in a weird position and I was only comfortable standing up so I labored in the shower instead. But that was a freak thing. I have many friends that have had water births and they all rave about it. It also is supposed to help prevent tearing. I'd make sure you have the option, then while in labor you will find what feels most comfortable. But I can't imagine not having the option to labor in water...that's inhumane!

My labors pick up crazy fast once I hit 7cms. By the time we filled the tub for #3, I didn't want to move and delivered not much later.

I labored in the tub with #4 and planned to deliver there, but had to get out when he went into distress and we needed to evict him quickly.

With #5, I just didn't bother. My mw kept trying to convince me, but my land births have always been pretty easy and getting all wet then having to dry off just seemed like a hassle, lol.

I think it's a great thing to try out. If you don't like it, you can always get out!

I have had 5 births, six babies.

My very BEST and most wonderful birth was my water birth. It was in a jacuzzi tub at a birth center attended by a midwife. It was my 40th bday and the difference between that birth and my others, which were some birth center and some hospital, was amazing.

As someone else said, I had the jets on my back and that pressure helped a lot. The noise of the jets was a distraction and soothing. The water along with dim lighting, candles, etc. was relaxing and hubby was in the water with me.

Did you know that you can wait until your body pushes the baby out itself? IOW, I asked my mw to not tell me when to push, but to allow my body to push the baby out when it was the right time. It was AMAZING. I dont think that I would have been able to relax enough to wait until my body was ready if I had not been in the water.

If I could start over, I think that I would have had all of my babies (except the twins probably) in the water :001_smile:

Kim

Two births at home. I was able to labor with Alvin in the water, but had to deliver out of pool because there was meconium when my water broke and midwife needed to suction him ASAP.

Faith was water birth all the way. Both labors were much better in water and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I could.

Joy, Simon, and Theodore were adopted, so no pertinent info to share.

Edited by Sheep Lady Mama

never had a water birth, but I did want to throw this out there.

If you are going to have a home birth but need a large tub, go to TSC and buy a rubbermaid stock tank. They are plenty big enough to sit in, and cost about $75. The cool thing is that you could put it on Craisgslist and resell it for a decent amount afterward.

I had three out of the water. One did labor in the water but was not allowed to deliver in the water, last one labored and delivered in the water.

I would never do it any other way! The water brought so much pain relief and just the noise of the water/jets let me distract myself enough to get through everything. Plus, it was the only time I didn't tear.

I wanted a water birth all 3 times, but only got it the 3rd time. First baby was preemie, so hospital. Second baby came faster than they could fill the tub. Third baby, they had a hot tub all filled and ready, and they knew that I was possibly going to go that week, so when I started labor, the tub was all ready to go. It was a nice hot tub, so it kept the temp stable and all that.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the water!!!! I had to get out at one point to pee (they said I could pee in the water, but try as I might, I just could not do it :tongue_smilie:), and when I was out of the water, the pain was sooooooo much worse. So back to the water for me! When baby came out, I was able to catch him myself and bring him up out of the water. Very cool experience!

I also tore (1st degree) with the two land births, but did not tear with the 3rd.

And on a funny note, DS3 had the biggest poop in the water that my midwife had ever seen. :lol: I wonder if that's why he's the one child that talks about poop. :tongue_smilie:

I labored in the tub with Digby and labored and had Chuck in the tub. That and the addition of my Hypnobabies kept me comfortable right up to the point of pushing. With Digby, I was afraid of having nightmares afterward so I just wanted to labor, not deliver in the tub. I got out to go potty and I tell you, the difference is night and day. Being out of the tub is much more uncomfortable. When I went back, I stood in the tub, but didn't want to sit down for some reason. So I got out and right away I got the urge to push.

With Chuck, she was posterior so I delayed getting in the tub as long as possible. We did exercises and stretches to get her to turn. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and got in the tub, knowing that it could stall or even stop labor. The contractions did slow down and I got some rest. They were getting stronger even though they were really far apart. I was so tempted to go to the hospital, but that would have required getting out, drying off, putting clothes on, driving to the hospital, checking in, getting hooked up to monitors, then finally maybe getting an epidural. I said to myself, "To heck with that! I don't care if she's coming sunny side up, she's coming out!" and pushed. A few minutes later, the urge came really strong and out she came. I did tear all three times, but there are things you can do to prevent that. I just never did. Both MW said it followed my first scar, so they think the OB I had with Pigby didn't do a very good job.

I labored in water for parts of my first three labors, but I am not much of a bath person, and I wasn't really interested in actually birthing in water. But then people kept raving about them, so I thought maybe I'd try it for #4, but I wasn't sold on it, so we didn't get a pool or anything, just figured maybe we'd try the tub.

So my fourth labor was very fast, about half the time of my previous shortest labor, but I didn't know it would be. After about 3 1/2 hours, I was pretty stressed; it was very hard (transition hard), like it was toward the end with #3, but I was sure I still had several more hours to go. And I didn't know what to do. DH suggested that maybe we should try the tub, and I figured it couldn't hurt and might at least help me relax a bit. So he filled it, and I made my way downstairs (between contractions).

The water felt SO good! Hot, but not too hot, and nice and deep. I tried a couple of positions and settled on leaning back, like in a recliner. I wanted to see if I could feel the baby's head, since my water had broken a little earlier, and sure enough, I could feel it, *right there.* (I suspect the walk down the stairs, coupled with the water being out of his way, had helped him descend the last little bit.) So I decided to see if I could push a little, and I could.

In fact, not only could I push a little, I could push a LOT, and right in the water, only about two minutes after getting into it, one BIG push, I was lifting my baby out of the water and proclaiming, "it's a boy!"

So I am a water convert. Next time, I'll get in the water even earlier. I do think it helped me relax quite a bit, enough to get over that last little bit.

We ended up draining the tub and refilling it a bit so that the baby and I could sit in the warm water without it being icky. But it was July and the bathroom has no AC, so I got sweaty and wanted to head for my nice air-conditioned bedroom. I had to hand the baby to DH and shower myself off a bit, and then I just wrapped a towel around myself (and tucked one between my legs), because my clean nightgown was still upstairs.

I had 3 water births and highly recommend them! It's so much better than being in a bed (my 1st was a hospital birth in a bed). I have pictures of myself smiling during labor between contractions. It just makes the experience more pleasant, and it allows you to move around into more comfortable positions. The jets can be soothing during labor, and the water is soothing for the baby when s/he comes out. Afterwards my midwife would draw an herbal bath for my baby and myself.

Most people love them so they are certainly worth a try.

I personally am not a fan. My labors are fast and furious and horribly painful- all of my babies have come out malpositioned. The water did not help me one iota and just made me hot. I could only stand it for about 5 minutes before I had to get out immediately, I just couldn't stand being hot on top of all of the other discomfort I was feeling.

my births:

#1 I labored until almost transition in a fishy pool and then went to the hospital- I arrived at an 8/9. My labor, although a first time birth and a baby somewhat oddly positioned was really great, in fact my easiest. My dh didn't believe me that I was very far along because he said I wasn't in enough pain, that was until I got out of the water. It made a HUGE difference. I really wish I would have had a homebirth with him!

#2 I wasn't able to get into the water until fairly far along in labor due to crazy circumstances (very long story short). I did however greatly enjoy the time I was able to spend in the water and pushed her out and my recovery was an absolute breeze. I used a fishy pool.

#3 Most of my labor was in the van driving home (another long story). I ultimately ended up only pushing the baby out in the tub. I think the water certainly helped, although it was still painful, partly though due to being in a tub which wasn't as deep as a pool. However, dd had her elbow by her head though and her head was an inch bigger than #2. Recovery was not fun, I didn't tear but ended up with an abrasion.

I'm waiting on #4 here and sure hope that I can labor and birth in the pool this time. I've got the fishy pool ready to go and am trying to keep my calendar clear so I'm home when labor starts.

Edited by soror

Haven't read the other replies, but dd was 9lb4oz on land, and ds was 11lb 1 oz (yes, you read that correctly) born in water. Definitely prefer water and having water to *labor* in, but I'm not sure when push came to shove (haha) that the actual physical location of the pushing mattered a flip. *Laboring* in water is glorious and I highly recommend. A birthing pool is better than a tub, because the bottom and sides are soft, and it's deep and moveable to the location of your choice.

As far as the posterior thing, my ds flipped posterior and we got him to turn by going to a certain type of chiropractor. 2 adjustments and he had completely turned. I suggest you start going now. It might be your back is off and it's torquing your uterus, making for the repeat posterior babies. Then if the baby still goes posterior, there's this special thing they do. The name slips my mind. Webster? I forget. Anyways, then touch a couple pressure points on your front near your hips, adjust your lower back, and that's it. Boom, baby turns. I was pretty freaky about a big baby being posterior, so I was very thankful when it worked for us, lol.

BTW, this is just me, but I would not actually *birth* in water unless you have a midwife who has a lot of experience with it. The baby *can* drown, and it's not a game. My baby was big, and of course big babies are their own experience. My itsy bitsy, quiet, demure little midwife started YELLING at me as soon as the baby's head popped out, because I wasn't pushing fast enough and she couldn't see him. It's not a game, not without risk. It's fine, do it. I'm just saying *I* felt more comfortable knowing my midwife had done it a LOT. I would not be someone's learning experience for that.

Most people love them so they are certainly worth a try.

I personally am not a fan. My labors are fast and furious and horribly painful- all of my babies have come out malpositioned. The water did not help me one iota and just made me hot. I could only stand it for about 5 minutes before I had to get out immediately, I just couldn't stand being hot on top of all of the other discomfort I was feeling.

They had the water too hot. It's actually supposed to be kept sort of on the cool side, not bath warm. Heat drains the mother's energy. I wanted them to make mine hotter, and the midwife wouldn't.

I am enthusiastic about water birth. Prior to giving birth, I was kind of grossed out by the idea. I watched a few weird videos of granola-type women giving birth in the ocean and just couldn't embrace it.

My midwife's policy, though, is that the tub is available IF you want it, so the tub was filled and it was warm. My second labor was much longer than my first, and I was both really tired and I was cold. The midwife gently suggested I try the tub and see if I could relax enough to sleep a bit. I was skeptical and reluctant, but also desperate.

From the first moment I lowered myself into the tube I was soooooo thankful and grateful. I actually said, "Oh thank God" once I was sitting because it felt so blessedly wonderful. I was able to sleep for a little while, coming sort-of awake during contractions and then relaxing again. It was sooooooooooo much less painful. Eventually ds was born in the tub.

The water was soothing, warm, and buoyant, and I became a believer. It's a an easy way to help those muscles relax.

The water was soothing, warm, and buoyant, and I became a believer. It's a an easy way to help those muscles relax.

:iagree: Dh is a huge believer as well because he has seen the difference in me in the water/vs out of the water. I think he would fill the pool even if I said not to, he'd think I'd gone mad if I said I didn't want a water birth!

I had a surprise/unplanned water birth with my second.

My labor was very slow and poky for a long, long time until my water broke, and second stage for my daughter took 2 hours and a lot of careful positioning (I have some abnormalities due to pelvic surgery), so when I got in the tub during transition no one expected anything except that I would rest in there for a while and then get out.

Well. Fifteen minutes after I got in the tub, he was crowning. There was NO WAY that I could get out of the tub. He would have been born on the bathroom floor. So he was born underwater after one pushing contraction. (I remember my midwife saying, "STOP SCREAMING, you still have to deliver the shoul... never mind.")

I really liked the tub jets on my back during transition. I have no feelings one way or another about whether actually birthing in the tub is good or bad. I will say that my son didn't pink up right away, which I understand to be common in a water birth. It worried me out just a little, but all the medical personnel were so obviously happy that I didn't freak out. He was cleaner afterward than my daughter, which was nice because I don't let them take my babies away to the nursery for a bath. I waited and bathed him in my room in the morning.

I've had 2 home waterbirths (before that I had 2 drug-free hospital births). I definitely preferred the waterbirths. I didn't notice a difference in the pain really, but it is so much easier to change positions in the water. I also liked having my own "space" (nobody got in the water with me). I like a lot of privacy during childbirth, and I think the water helped.

I had a surprise/unplanned water birth with my second.

My labor was very slow and poky for a long, long time until my water broke, and second stage for my daughter took 2 hours and a lot of careful positioning (I have some abnormalities due to pelvic surgery), so when I got in the tub during transition no one expected anything except that I would rest in there for a while and then get out.

Well. Fifteen minutes after I got in the tub, he was crowning. There was NO WAY that I could get out of the tub. He would have been born on the bathroom floor. So he was born underwater after one pushing contraction. (I remember my midwife saying, "STOP SCREAMING, you still have to deliver the shoul... never mind.")

I really liked the tub jets on my back during transition. I have no feelings one way or another about whether actually birthing in the tub is good or bad. I will say that my son didn't pink up right away, which I understand to be common in a water birth. It worried me out just a little, but all the medical personnel were so obviously happy that I didn't freak out. He was cleaner afterward than my daughter, which was nice because I don't let them take my babies away to the nursery for a bath. I waited and bathed him in my room in the morning.

Regarding the bolded: I think it happens often enough that one should know about it. Chuck came out purple and limp. MW had DH blow a puff of air into her lungs while I rubbed her back and tried to stimulate her. MW didn't do the air because she had a canker sore and was worried about giving the virus to the newborn. But at the time all I could think about was during CPR training to NOT blow too hard or you'll hurt baby's lungs. So I was a bit freaked out that he'd do something wrong. She was totally fine by her 5 minute APGAR. She was still attached to the umbilical cord and I *think* that was still providing oxygen since she hadn't officially taken a breath yet. It seemed like eternity to me, but was probably only a minute or so. The MW assistant had the oxygen tank and was blowing air on her and it all worked out.

My last one was born at home under water and it was fabulous. Once I got into the water, labor went from the 90 mph roller coaster ride to something more manageable. Once I was in the tub, I would not have described the sensations as painful - that is if I could have put complete sentences together to describe the experience. Pushing was much easier and much less painful. Our only problem was labor was too fast(less than 2 hours) to fill the birth pool (I had a kiddie pool in my bedroom) so I gave birth in my standard (for the 1960s) tub. A larger tub would have been much nicer, but we made do. I didn't actually make the decision to give birth in my bathtub. I was laboring in the bathroom and my husband had left the room to start getting the tub ready. I do remember the midwife telling him that there was no time as she filled up the tub and I got in because she told me to:).

If you tend to have OP babies, I would encourage you to see a chiropractor. Getting everything aligned can help babies move into more optimal positions.

never had a water birth, but I did want to throw this out there.

If you are going to have a home birth but need a large tub, go to TSC and buy a rubbermaid stock tank. They are plenty big enough to sit in, and cost about $75. The cool thing is that you could put it on Craisgslist and resell it for a decent amount afterward.

Some midwives don't like those because the dark color makes it harder to judge how much bleeding is occurring. That is why we went with the $30 kiddie pool (which we didn't end up using:).)

ETA: I do remember one midwife requiring the stock tank to be lined with a white shower curtain for better color judgement.

My homebirth midwife advised everyone to have as many options as possible available: a birthing tub, (fishie pool from Target-make sure it's inflatable on the bottom and has very thick walls you can lean on with all your weight) a birthing stool, (she brought one with her) and a bed with sheets in this order: regular fitted sheet on top of the mattress, a waterproof fitted sheet on top of that, then a regular fitted sheet on top of that for an easy cleaning up after the delivery.

Most women who give it a try love waterbirths but a few people don't like it.

Earlier in my labor the tub was stalling out labor. I got out of the tub until things were very active then got back in. Don't let them check your dilation. I made the mistake of asking her to check when I was fully dilated. She doesn't consider it necessary and tried to talk me out of it but respected my wishes. I should have listened. She said I was acting like I was at 9 or 10 did I want to know for sure? She couldn't get a good angle so I got out of the tub and onto the bed. I went from 9 cm to nursing in 20 minutes and missed my waterbirth because it was so intense I was in no state to get back into the water. The relief the water provides during the pushing stage would have been welcome.