Menu

Thinking about a water birth...if you've had one...tell me about it! Yay or nay?

My oldest and youngest were both water births. I would have liked to have had my middle child in the water but they wouldn't let me because of pre-eclampsia. Anyway, I am super enthusiastic about water births: way more relaxing and with the two born in water I had no tearing or stitches.

I attempted a water birth with my first daughter. Went into hardcore labor on a Thursday evening, labored naturally in/out of the water until Sunday night. I birthed my daughter on Monday morning around 10am, unfortunately at the hospital using pitocin to even out my rampant, on top of each other contractions. I ended up bleeding and in the hospital for seven days ...there are limits to the body (I labored too hard for too long; again my call). I think by Saturday I was really too exhausted and should have done something then.

DD was posterior and staying put giving me great back labor, but not enough dilatation to push. I had a midwife/douala, birth ball, massage, walked, ate, drank, hypno-birthing tapes, re-bozo,...you name it,LOL.

I credit our OBGYN with hanging in there, not cutting and letting me call the shots. My husband caught with her direction. I wish it could have been that beautiful water-birth I dreamed of, but it wasn't...by no fault of anyone's and in the end we still had our DD and I was ready for #2 within seconds.

The only thing I would change about the water was a deeper pool and waiting until I was closer to transition to get in...

Plan, Plan, Plan...but be ready for plan a, b,c,d,e,f,g...;o)

Edited by kerryfrank73

I had my second in the water, and I'm planning on the next one being in water at home. It was wonderful to move around in the water in comparison to being out of the water, and it just felt so right. I'm honestly looking forward to this birth because the last one felt so peaceful (as much as can be expected in labor) in comparison to my hospital birth with my first.

I should say my hospital birth was not bad, but it is just a completely different setting. My second daughter was at a birth center, so I felt like I was more at home than an institution. Just my two cents. :)

Thanks, everyone! I am seeing a chiropractor and as of right now, baby is right occiput anterior which is ideal for labor. But, baby is still floating although very low...so that may change. My midwife is very experienced with water births...she's practiced for 30+ years...never lost a baby or mom. She is very picky and refuses patients with known health risks. I trust her a lot. I've never heard of a baby being sick or unresponsive after a water birth. Babies don't breathe until the air hits them (called a dive reflex) so I'm not sure why there is a concern about baby breathing in the tub water. I will talk to her about that at my next appointment. Thanks again!!!!

My daughter was in NICU for three days because she breathed in some of her own dirty fluid.

No way would I ever birth a child underwater.

Not quite understanding how the two of these go together as my first had almost aspirated on her meconium... But I am sorry to hear about your daughter and am glad that she had the proper team on hand for such an emergency.

I've had an unassisted and assisted waterbirth (in that order.). After my first waterbirth, for me, there was no other option. I have birthed in the hard plastic (aka horse trough) and kiddie pool. Both have their advantages and disadvantages and both I borrowed from my mw. I found the warmth of the water to help along with some hand pressure from dh (obviously we had no jacuzzi jets, so counter pressure applied by dh was wonderful.). My second water birth I was also able to visit a chiropractor which I feel made a world of difference as well assisted with a shorter labor. I was also very active with walking and yoga, and utilized Hypnobabies. Which brings me to me next point - I don't just credit the water for the good labor but all the things I was able to do to prepare for labor.