Menu

Where do we want to live?

I figured there are people from all over on the boards. Someone has to have a suggestion.

Here are some things we are thinking about..

*Big enough that everyone doesn't know everyone but small enough that it isn't packed and takes forever to go anywhere.

*If it's a big city it has to have a rural/outside of town area. Some place to buy a big lot of land and build a house.

*Good homeschool community and fairly easy laws

*Good medical facilities. I have a special needs son who will eventually need surgery. I don't mind traveling a little if needed.

*Politically liberal. I'd like not to be the only family who is. ;)

*Not a poor city, middle class or higher.

*Field trip opportunities.

*Extra curricular opportunities. I have kids who are in soccer, swimming, basketball, softball, dance, theater, gymnastics and figure skating.

*Educational options - Charter school, private schools, college for duel enrollment.

*Has seasons. I can't imagine Christmas without snow or fall without colors, I'd get tired of high temperatures all year round.

*Christian Churches

I think those are the main ones. :bigear:

Edited by Just Jane

South/North of Minneapolis/St. Paul MN? There are GREAT children's hospitals in the area. The hospital/clinic my son goes to for his orthopedic surgeries has some surgeons that go around the world teaching others. I live 45 minutes south of the twin cities and there are rural areas along with sport opportunities. There are also other benefits to living in MN with a child with special needs if you want to PM me. Also know that there is a reason MN has a reputation for being cold. It's not so much the intensity - just the length.

Beth

I figured there are people from all over on the boards. Someone has to have a suggestion.

*Big enough that everyone doesn't know everyone but small enough that it isn't packed and takes forever to go anywhere.

*If it's a big city it has to have a rural/outside of town area. Some place to buy a big lot of land and build a house.

*Good medical facilities. I have a special needs son who will eventually need surgery. I don't mind traveling a little if needed.

*Extra curricular opportunities. I have kids who are in soccer, swimming, basketball, softball, dance, theater, gymnastics and figure skating.

*Educational options - Charter school, private schools, college for duel enrollment.

*Has seasons. I can't imagine Christmas without snow or fall without colors, I'd get tired of high temperatures all year round.

*Christian Churches

You could come live up here with me. The only thing we don't have is a charter school. But we are 90 minutes from the big city.

Many North Texas areas would fit the bill with the exception of politically liberal. The seasons are not what you find in more northern areas, but we do have a bit of snow most years and changing leaves in the fall. No homeschooling requirements at all.:001_smile: The cost of living is pretty reasonable as compared to other parts of the country.

I love this thread! We are looking for a very similar place as you minus the seasons :) and it needs to be within a 2 days drive of Indianapolis. Right now we are traveling and visiting as many places as possible so far we've narrowed it down to Austin (I won't miss seasons), Nashville, or someplace in Colorado (CO Springs, Boulder, Fort Collins...are those all considered front range?) We are spending the winter in CO to see how we like the seasons.

If you change your mind about weather (it's rarely hot but it never snows..about 70 year round) then I can't recommend Ventura CA enough!!! I lived there for 11 years before hitting the road fulltime. We would move back in a heartbeat if my family wasn't so far away! Liberal but there are Christian churches. An amazing homeschooling community secular and Christian plus all the school options you listed. (My boys used to go to a classical hybrid homeschool/school). Wonderful food! You could go to a different farmer's market nearly every day of the week not too mention all the CSA options! TWO Trader Joe's within miles. Fantastic restaurants. Near the beach and mountains. Close to LA for top culture (and medical care) but far enough to have a totally different feel...laid back beach vibe. Close to Santa Barbara as well. I really can't say enough good things about Ventura. If you were wanting property Santa Paula or Ojai are 20 minutes inland. The biggest downside for us is that it's expensive and far away from my family in Indianapolis. If it wasn't for those two things I'd consider it a perfect place to live!

Speaking of Indianapolis I think it has all the things you are interested in as well. It has a wonderful children's hospital. If it weren't for the freezing cold winters and flat as a pancake topography I'd live here myself.

I love this thread! We are looking for a very similar place as you minus the seasons :) and it needs to be within a 2 days drive of Indianapolis. Right now we are traveling and visiting as many places as possible so far we've narrowed it down to Austin (I won't miss seasons), Nashville, or someplace in Colorado (CO Springs, Boulder, Fort Collins...are those all considered front range?) We are spending the winter in CO to see how we like the seasons.

Yes, everything one the east side of the Rocky Mountains, but not further than about 20 miles east of the foothills is considered the Front Range. There's a huge variety along it...Ft Collins, Denver, Colorado Springs and everything in between. I don't live there, but really like the Castle Rock/Franktown/Elizabeth/Monument area. More rural, but very easy to get everywhere. Castle Rock would put them closer to multiple educational options.

Northern California is beautiful and liberal. Definitely middle class or higher if you live around San Francisco. Don't know if I would 100% recommend California, even as a native, since we are being taxed to death and just voted for more!

But it is beautiful and you can't beat the weather!

Davis, CA. Has everything on your list except regular snow. There are definite seasons, but actually snow is a once every 5-10 years deal.

Reno, NV would probably work, too.

(Is there anywhere in the US that doesn't have Christian churches? Though I can understand that liberal Christian churches would be more difficult to find in some areas.)

Northern California is beautiful and liberal. Definitely middle class or higher if you live around San Francisco. Don't know if I would 100% recommend California, even as a native, since we are being taxed to death and just voted for more!

Northern California varies soooo much. Some parts are quintessentially liberal, most of it (geographically) is quite conservative. So you have to pay attention to where you go.

But if proximity to a major medical center is a criteria, you're probably going to end up in a more liberal area.

(Davis is Northern California)

Edited by ocelotmom

St Andrews, Fife. The only thing missing is the homeschool community - but there are lots of other activities. There are not charter schools, but good state (government) schools as well as private schools. There are colleges for dual enrollment, but the commute would be at least half an hour for that. Oh, and you'd not find softball.

We have four seasons, but snow doesn't always arrive for Christmas - it will probably snow at least once during the winter, but not always for that date.

Laura

Maryland! Come to Maryland! :D And then please buy the big lot/house next to my farm so I know someone like-minded lives next door. Assuming you are ok with my five million chickens, geese, ducks, goats, and horses. :tongue_smilie:

*Christian Churches

I agree. Come to MD. It has ALL of this. (Mainly because you forgot to say "doesn't cost a gajillion dollars" and it's too late to change it now.) Look into Howard County :-)

I agree. Come to MD. It has ALL of this. (Mainly because you forgot to say "doesn't cost a gajillion dollars" and it's too late to change it now.) Look into Howard County :-)

You all are making me miss home.... I miss my People Tree....

Portland, Oregon is good for everything on your list except snow (some years we get none, three years ago the city was shut down for the better part of two weeks), though it is a short drive away.

The foothills of Northern CA would give summer heat and winter snow but not too much if you stay at an elevation of about 2500 feet.

Lots of Christian Churches and somewhat more conservative than metropolitan areas like LA and SFO.

You can still be near medium sized cities and live in the foothills.

Edited by Liz CA

Liz has a good point. My small city has everything on your list except snow, but head a few miles east to the foothills and you even get that--though in a much smaller town with longer drives to many things on your list.

My town has ~100K people but it's surprisingly similar to a smaller town in some ways. Everyone seems to know each other, but in a very nice way.

South/North of Minneapolis/St. Paul MN? There are GREAT children's hospitals in the area. The hospital/clinic my son goes to for his orthopedic surgeries has some surgeons that go around the world teaching others. I live 45 minutes south of the twin cities and there are rural areas along with sport opportunities. There are also other benefits to living in MN with a child with special needs if you want to PM me. Also know that there is a reason MN has a reputation for being cold. It's not so much the intensity - just the length.

Beth

:iagree: I'd say any direction from Mpls/St. Paul. We have a nice secular/liberal leaning homeschooling community.

Where I live in CA (Ventura) fits your criteria except for seasons. The weather here usually isn't warm--when the temp is above 75 people melt as no one has AC. And it doesn't snow, but we can see the snow in the mountains as we stand next to our palm trees. And we can drive to the snow!

So everything else fits.

Where I live in CA (Ventura) fits your criteria except for seasons. The weather here usually isn't warm--when the temp is above 75 people melt as no one has AC. And it doesn't snow, but we can see the snow in the mountains as we stand next to our palm trees. And we can drive to the snow!

So everything else fits.

Even the freaking hotels don't have AC!

We tried going there once during a heat wave, and were told that there is, in fact, an agreement amongst the hotels to not have AC.

But, having spent the majority of my life in coastal Southern California, I agree that it's not hot all year. It's temperate most of the time, with the occasional heat wave in the summer and early fall.

Lancaster, PA. Well, actually the suburbs just north of Lancaster. You can't really call it politically liberal, but when we lived there I had a great group of liberally-minded homeschooling friends. Oh how I miss it. It has so much going for it that you'll get over the intrusive homeschooling laws.

Seattle. No HSIng laws either

Huh? Washington State has homeschooling laws. You need to take a homeschool qualifying class or have enough college credits (45?). You need to file an intent to homeschool each year from age 8-18, and you need to tested annually too. Maybe it isn't as strict as some states, but there is a law. Didn't want our state misrepresented. I love the Evergreen State!