Menu

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have exclusively breastfed my kids, so, I'm voting yes from my belief in the power of my mammary glands.

:iagree:

Yes

Go! Mammals!

Mammal: any of a class (Mammalia) of warm-blooded higher vertebrates (as placentals, marsupials, or monotremes) that nourish their young with milk secreted by mammary glands, have the skin usually more or less covered with hair

Yes.

For some reason I could see this as a thread that could down hill fast.

I agree with you, Betty! I have no idea what we would be called besides mammals, but I'm sure someone will eventually want to fight about it! :D

Maybe it's part of some sort of religious "humans are not animals" kind of argument???

Whatever the case, I have never heard of humans not being mammals.

The kids had a co-op class on animal classification & the teacher instructed that humans were not mammals. That they shared characteristics but were exclusive & above the animal kingdom.

It was the first I'd ever heard of such a thing & was like :ohmy:.

Then she taught the children to spell amphibean. I kid you not.

So, apparently, it is up for discussion somewhere. Just not at my house. We spell according to the dictionary as well.

The kids had a co-op class on animal classification & the teacher instructed that humans were not mammals. That they shared characteristics but were exclusive & above the animal kingdom.

It was the first I'd ever heard of such a thing & was like :ohmy:.

Then she taught the children to spell amphibean. I kid you not.

So, apparently, it is up for discussion somewhere. Just not at my house. We spell according to the dictionary as well.

Now I'm sure it's some sort of religious thing.

Are you sure you want this woman teaching science to your kids? :eek:

PS. BEWARE THE AMPHIBEANS!!! I don't know what they are, but perhaps they are some sort of hideous legume that lives under water and come out to terrorize innocent beachgoers... ;)

Edited by Catwoman

Read something today and now I'm curious what everyone else believes? Humans=mammals or not??

i don't think it is a matter of belief.

for example, i don't "believe" 2 + 2 = 4.

it follows the rules of mathematics. it is.

(although i must confess to having given birth to children who have attempted to convince me otherwise ;)).

likewise, there is a definition of what is a mammal and what isn't.

here's a definition (from wikipedia, as it was the most concise that came up early on):

air-breathing vertebrate animals characterized by the possession of endothermy, hair, three middle ear bones, and mammary glands functional in mothers with young.

homo sapiens sapiens fits the definition.

hth,

ann

eta: the current definition doesn't include live young, as the monotremes lay eggs but are classified as mammals.

Edited by elfgivas@yahoo.com

OK, I will state my opinion, but I do not want to start a fight. This is just what I believe, I am not forcing opinions or beliefs on anyone else. While I believe humans share characteristics with mammals, I do not believe that humans are animals because in the Biblical account of creation:

a) God spoke the animals into being

b) God created Adam from the dust of the earth and breathed the breath of life into him

c) Adam is made in the image of God and the animals are not

d) Humans have souls, animals do not.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you sure you want this woman teaching science to your kids? :eek:

:D Um. NO. I had no idea I had picked a controversial topic. I seriously thought it was going to be a fun zoo animal visiting class. I did some serious "undoing" that semester. :glare:

We still attend but we pick things like gym, legos, cooking, photography, etc. Things that are pleasant fun extras & no hot buttons. :tongue_smilie:

OK, I will state my opinion, but I do not want to start a fight. This is just what I believe, I am not forcing opinions or beliefs on anyone else. While I believe humans share characteristics with mammals, I do not believe that humans are animals because in the Biblical account of creation:

b) God created Adam from the dust of the earth and breathed the breath of life into him

I believe humans are animals with a spirit. I also believe that the image of God talked about is not a physical body, but a spirit. God is spirit. As for the scientific definition, we fit the description of mammals. The scientific classification does not stipulate anything about a spirit or soul so humans and cats can be classified together as mammals, IMO.

According to my elementary school's catechism class we are god's creation. According to science class we are mammals (Homo Homo Sapiens). So it depends on whether I was sitting for a Science exam or Bible Knowledge exam.

Since I am non-religious, my answer is that humans are mammals under the classification system.

Ok I'll bite.

I believe that humans are distinctly different from animals and therefore should be considered outside of the taxonomy used for animals.

This is based on my religious belief, that our creation in God's image separates us from animals. Since we are not an animal I would not call myself a mammal.

However, if I was teaching taxonomic classification I would definitely state that humans meet the criteria for mammals, or have mammalian characteristics. If it was a secular group I would say "according to taxonomy humans are mammals." If it were a Christian group I would explain the above rationale.

I don't think I would volunteer to teach biology to a secular group though, unless they are willing to have it presented from a Christian perspective.

Uh oh. :eek:

I hope you're wearing your flameproof suit, because both Betty and I saw this coming and these things never end well......... :D

I was waiting for the animals/mammals conversation to start. Start with "are humans mammals" and add a dash of "animals don't have souls" and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Don't worry -- I'm not going to argue with you, even though I don't agree with you, but I can't imagine that other people won't. (I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I have been trying to be good lately! ;))

Edited by Catwoman

I agree with all BUT D. I believe animals have souls. Do I believe my dogs will be waiting in heaven? yes. The bible doesnt really say one way or the other on the issue.