Menu

Voting and Identification.....

Bothered by this......I voted today ( and have since I turned 18) and have never had to show any identification whatsoever to prove that I'm an American citizen. I have to sign my name but that's it. This REALLY concerns me, anyone else?

Are you required to show identification in your state?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bothered by this......I voted today ( and have since I turned 18) and have never had to show any identification whatsoever to prove that I'm an American citizen. I have to sign my name but that's it. This REALLY concerns me, anyone else?

You had to prove you were a US citizen when you registered to vote, right? Why would you need to do it again?

I had to show my drivers license. I've voted in three states and that has always been the case. Why on earth would that concern you? I wouldn't want someone to show up, say they were me and vote in my place. THAT would concern me!

ETA: I realize I read your question wrong. It would concern me if I didn't have to show a photo ID. So I agree with you in being concerned.

Edited by T'smom

I think all registered voters should have to show some sort of identification. We have to show I.D. for any number of other things; having to show that we are citizens and therefore eligible to vote seems like the right thing to do.

I have always had to show either a voter registration card or a driver license.

ETA: I would be fine with having to show a state-issued voter identification card if people are required to show valid I.D.s when they register to vote in the first place. Also, if someone has registered to vote and shown proper I.D., then I'd be ok with just signing next to his printed name...as long as he also provided proof that he was who he said he was. IOW, a picture I.D. I don't know if all states provide voter identification cards, though; Texas does, California does not.

Edited by Ellie

Yes, I am in Tn. And we have to show ID. I understand the concerns and can completely see that it is a problem. I hope it is solved by lots of people helping those without ID get transportation and the documentation necessary to get ID My state made it as easy as possible to obtain but I think it is up to the rest of us to make sure it is free, easy and everyone has it. I promise to do my part. :D

I have never been asked for ID as long as I have my voter's registration card, which I always do. My son voted for the first time this year and neither he nor I were asked for identification. We both did have our voter's registration cards with us.

I believe there was some sort of initiative to have photo identification IN ADDITION TO voter's registration cards necessary, but it has been stricken down or postponed or something. I am not as informed as I should be, obviously.

I'm glad we weren't required to show additional identification, but that's about as much as I can say about it . . . the board rules, you know.

Edited by TejasMamacita

You had to prove you were a US citizen when you registered to vote, right? Why would you need to do it again?

North Carolina has never required ID to vote, or at least not during my lifetime. I'm not against requiring it, but whatever is required must (IMO) be free and very easy to acquire. Otherwise it's a poll tax.

:iagree: I had to show ID and proof of residency to register. That's good enough for me. I've never had to show my ID here.

I'm in NC and did not have to show ID. I think a photo ID should be required.

Obviously or you could run around and vote in different places for people who you knew wouldn't bother. We have to show something with our name and address. Not sure why requiring identification for such an important task would be odd?:confused:

North Carolina has never required ID to vote, or at least not during my lifetime. I'm not against requiring it, but whatever is required must (IMO) be free and very easy to acquire. Otherwise it's a poll tax.

Yes, I agree. Acquiring some type of photo ID should be made available to all and cheap so that everyone could have one. Not just for voting, but other things as well. I would have been very happy to have shown my driver's license, I just wasn't asked. We don't have voter identification cards that I know of.

I don't know.....just seemed too easy.

The ID thing is a big deal because it walks the line of being a poll tax -- a charge to vote -- which is illegal. True, it's been politicized so you hear of other reasons, but the poll tax issue is the main legal concern. Personally, I'd have no issue with an ID requirement only if states provided a form of voter identification at no charge for those without official ID cards, thus avoiding the poll tax issue.

For example, in my mail-in only state, we naturally don't have to show ID, but we do have to prove who we are to register. I registered when getting my license, so the ID was a moot point, but the form said I could have used my birth certificate and SSN as proof of ID if necessary. These are the same documents necessary for getting an ID, but using them instead saves you the $60 a state ID costs or the $90 for a driver's license!

How much is an ID in NY? A state ID in TX is $15. Not expensive at all. I don't understand why it bothers anyone. What other way are we to prevent people from voting more than once, by simply going to a poll, and saying they are xyz, and signing xyz's name? That used to happen frequently. Or to prevent someone who isn't eligible to vote, from snatching someone's voter ID card, and voting in their place? We've worked really hard in this country to ensure voting integrity. How can you maintain that w/out proof of person?

Yes, I agree. Acquiring some type of photo ID should be made available to all and cheap so that everyone could have one. Not just for voting, but other things as well. I would have been very happy to have shown my driver's license, I just wasn't asked. We don't have voter identification cards that I know of.

I don't know.....just seemed too easy.

It isn't expensive, considering that most ID cards are good for 4-5 years, and some are even good for life. $25 card for 5 years? $5/year to have a State ID? That's cheap.

http://dmvanswers.com/questions/419/How-much-do-state-ID-cards-cost

Yes, we had to show ID here,, plus a utility bill to prove our address since we moved. Then we were given a provisional ballot that has to be checked against the voter sign-in from our last precint to make sure we didn't vote twice.

I agree with the need for some form of identification. Really, how do people function in everyday life without one, anyway?

How much is an ID in NY? A state ID in TX is $15. Not expensive at all. I don't understand why it bothers anyone. What other way are we to prevent people from voting more than once, by simply going to a poll, and saying they are xyz, and signing xyz's name? That used to happen frequently. Or to prevent someone who isn't eligible to vote, from snatching someone's voter ID card, and voting in their place? We've worked really hard in this country to ensure voting integrity. How can you maintain that w/out proof of person?

Well said....I'm not sure why it bothers anyone either. I just think it's a legitimate concern for me and seems to others as well. Good to know.

Just looked....a photo ID in Kentucky is $12

Edited by Momof3Maidens

We have to show some form of ID here in VA but it doesn't have to be a photo ID.

I understand that you have to show proper ID to get a voter registration card, but who's to say that someone won't have stolen one that was in the mail to the voter, or in our case steal someones discarded utility bill (they'll take that too as proof)

I didn't have to sign anything. I showed them my ID and Voter reg. card because I wanted to show both and then they simply asked me my name and address.

I understand the push for some type of ID because in the past they had people showing up and glancing at the book to find a name and then just signing. Then that voter showed up later and was denied the right to vote because it appeared they already had.

Just because you show up and say a name on the list doesn't in anyway prove you are that person.

It isn't expensive, considering that most ID cards are good for 4-5 years, and some are even good for life. $25 card for 5 years? $5/year to have a State ID? That's cheap.

In NC, it is only $10, but I couldn't find how long it is good. If same as license, it is 8 years for people ages 18-65, 5 years for people over 65 or age 16, and 4 years for 17 yo. It is free for a resident of the State who is legally blind, is at least 70 years old, homeless or who has been issued a driver license which has subsequently been cancelled as a result of a physical or mental disability or disease.

We had to show ID in MD. We don't down here (NC), and there have been cases of people going to vote and being told they already did. :glare:

Edited by LizzyBee

If you're barely getting by, that $25 to get a card might be the difference in eating for a few days or not, or buying a prescription medication or not. That's actually quite a lot of money for some people. And for some people there's an issue of transportation to/from a location that issues the ID.

All reliable evidence says voter fraud is NOT a problem. Not by a long shot. Although with all the publicity this made-up issue has gotten, who knows what might happen?

I have voted in 4 states, NE, MO, KS, and CA. I have NEVER been asked for i.d. I give my name and address and then I vote.

I disagree with voter ID laws. Voter fraud is practically unheard of and it would disenfranchise more voters than it would prevent any fraud.

I disagree with anything that is intended to prevent citizens from voting, which many voting ID laws ARE.

This is a political discussion IMO.

:iagree: I agree with you on all points.

No one shows ID here, we all vote by mail. I support mail in voting. I strongly oppose voter ID laws as the costs involved outweigh the lack of a problem with individual voter fraud. Voter fraud is not carried out by a person showing up to vote 1 by 1. It's a coordinated effort (in the old day stuffing the ballot box wih dead voters) and can take place with or without voter id laws. I am far more concerned about the security and intergrity of electronic voting machines with no voter verified paper or audit trail. That is the way to stuff the ballot boxes in this era.

Efforts to enact laws that make it harder to vote are clearly more about politics than democracy. No voter showed ID to cast a ballot for George Washington.

Edited by kijipt

If you're barely getting by, that $25 to get a card might be the difference in eating for a few days or not, or buying a prescription medication or not. That's actually quite a lot of money for some people. And for some people there's an issue of transportation to/from a location that issues the ID.

All reliable evidence says voter fraud is NOT a problem. Not by a long shot. Although with all the publicity this made-up issue has gotten, who knows what might happen?

As far as I'm concerned, any voter fraud at all is a Problem. Who gets to set the bar for how much is too much or how much is enough to constitute a problem?

I showed photo id, but that was because I misplaced my voter registration card.

I'm not in agreement one must show a photo id. I have a drivers license and most people who are middle class have a state issued drivers license or a photo id issued through employment (this is also acceptable identification in my state). However, not everyone has such identification.

My neighbor's dd has struggled with bouts of depression and is a young adult of voter age living with her parents. It took two trips to the dmv to get her state issued identification. If her mother wasn't willing to put in the effort to help get this she never would have been able to do it. Getting mass transit to the dmv from our neighborhood would be quite convoluted ordeal.

Similarly, a woman in Maryland wrote and article for the Washington Post last describing what she went through to help her elderly parents get state issued identification when they moved states to be closer to her. They did not drive. They were completely dependent on their daughter to help them through the process. She ended up taking three full days off work with trips the the Md. DMV. Obviously, the daughter in this case was working in a profession that allowed her the flexibility to take time off work and deal with the problem. A significant portion of the population does not.

Not everyone has someone else who help. Not everyone has someone who can afford to take that much time off work.

Even for some who isn't elderly or dealing with depression, if you are functioning at the poverty level, working a couple of jobs, often you just cannot afford the time to deal with the DMV to go through the convoluted process. If your choice is get fired from your job because you took off for multiple trips to the DMV or earn the money to make rent this month, what would you do.

The persons who are punished most are those who live in poverty because they have the least means to get government issued identification.

If the process could be streamlined perhaps this problem would not be as big as it is. But it is truly a big problem. Honestly, every trip I've made to a dmv has terrible. If I got there waited and waited and learned I had to come back and did that again only to be told to come back again, I might give up.

The things you take for granted are not easily available to everyone.

I disagree with voter ID laws. Voter fraud is practically unheard of and it would disenfranchise more voters than it would prevent any fraud.

I disagree with anything that is intended to prevent citizens from voting, which many voting ID laws ARE.

Are you being sarcastic?

Voter fraud is common. But I live in Illinois so...

It's not expensive, but consider my scenario. I did not have a driver's license when I was 18. I did have a job that I walked to. I made very little money. I made enough to pay for the ID, but the DMV was 2 cities over and there was no public transportation. So had I not had parents who were willing to drive me there I don't even know how I would have gotten there to get the ID. I guess I could have called a cab. But that's not cheap. So between the fees to get the ID and the cab ride I've paid a poll tax to vote. Voting rights should not be contingent upon paying any fees or even expenses. Here, they have so many polling places that every person in my city can potentially walk to the poll. They do that specifically to make sure it's not a hardship for anyone to get there (there are a lot of poor people living here who don't have transportation).

:iagree: We are in an area with a lot of elderly. One city over many of the elderly depend upon bus lines. I can imagine there are some older people, more likely women, who have never held driver's license and the utilities may still be in their deceased husband's name.

Many kids are waiting until after 18 to get their driver's license. I don't think a school ID would be valid in our state.

The responsibility of identification comes in when you REGISTER to vote.

We didn't have to show ID either - and it bothers me. Like others have said, what's to prevent me from going to other polling places and saying I'm someone else?

As far as the argument about poll tax - just have the states automatically provide a free ID when someone registers to vote, and make it clear that it will be required to be shown when you vote. I realize it's not quite as simple as all that - but it really isn't difficult, either.

ID is needed for jobs, right? (SS card and ID) I can't remember about college... But for a bank account... other such legal things... I think it's a no brainer to need id...

:iagree:

I think the vote means enough that we should know who's voting so that no one's vote is "stolen." If you already need an ID ffor all of the above, what's wrong with showing one to vote?