Menu

S/O Things that don't Make Sense in Movies

I watched "Taken" with Liam Neeson last week on cable. My son wanted to see it, as he was interested in seeing "Taken 2" with friends. Anyway, something that really requires me to suspend reality is how Liam Neeson, who is now SIXTY freaking years old, is able to take on a room full of people and knock them out cold? I mean, I love action movies, but COME ON! He also does amazing physical feats for a 60 year old. Have you noticed that the bad guys in movies always wait their turn, so that the hero can knock them out, rather than all jumping him at the same time, which is what would actually happen? Amazingly, no bad guy ever has a gun in a group setting when the hero bursts onto the scene to take them all out!

I notice the same phenomenon in every action movie, but lately I've seen it everywhere. We love the TV show "Person of Interest", and 44 year old Jim Caviezel does this too. Enters a room full of people and knocks them all out without ever breaking a sweat. When he does this, we say, Well, he IS Jesus!" (he played Jesus in a movie role). :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, things that just don't make sense to me, but that I'd love to think could really happen. I guess that is why these movies are popular.

Edited by TranquilMind

This is the first every "s/o" inspired by one of my posts. I'm honored. :)

What about the blood trail left by action movies? I mean, they kill hundreds of people all the time. If these types of things happened for real, they'd be on the news for days or months. But instead they just go home and back to business, you know?

This is the first every "s/o" inspired by one of my posts. I'm honored. :)

What about the blood trail left by action movies? I mean, they kill hundreds of people all the time. If these types of things happened for real, they'd be on the news for days or months. But instead they just go home and back to business, you know?

Ah, but then people from remote Albanian villages want revenge... :lol:

I think one of the first, if not only movies that didn't have the bad guys all waiting turns is the Transporter movies. *And* the lead character actually gets hurt, not just invincible.

Wolf was watching Broken Arrow last night. Brought up several questions.

Why didn't they just put the nukes on the elevator, send it down WITHOUT riding w/it, then shoot the cable so it couldn't come back up?

Why did they keep the woman alive, rather than just shooting her?

MeaganS;This is the first every "s/o" inspired by one of my posts. I'm honored. :)

You have arrived... ;)

Ha ha. Exactly. I always wonder why no one seems to be looking for them. Where are the police?

I think one of the first, if not only movies that didn't have the bad guys all waiting turns is the Transporter movies. *And* the lead character actually gets hurt, not just invincible.

Wolf was watching Broken Arrow last night. Brought up several questions.

Why didn't they just put the nukes on the elevator, send it down WITHOUT riding w/it, then shoot the cable so it couldn't come back up?

Why did they keep the woman alive, rather than just shooting her?

I didn't see those, but I guess it is just better and more fun if you don't think about it. Why did I/we have to start?

We watch a ton of Westerns. I love how the bad guys are always taken out by one bullet, but the good guys get shot and can still beat someone up hand to hand, ride a horse, etc.

Yeah....that!

Why are the bad guys in all kinds of movies such TERRIBLE shots? They rarely if ever hit the hero, no matter how many shots and no matter how close! If they do, the hero has an arm wound or something non-fatal, almost always.

Yeah....that!

Why are the bad guys in all kinds of movies such TERRIBLE shots? They rarely if ever hit the hero, no matter how many shots and no matter how close! If they do, the hero has an arm wound or something non-fatal, almost always.

And anything of the bad guy's gets shot it explodes, but the good guy's stuff only gets holes in it. :tongue_smilie:

Children who 1) go to bed when told to 2) happily eat whatever is on their plate 3) play quietly 4) wear whatever their parent picked out, without complaint 5) have tidy bedrooms or play areas that can be picked up in under thirty seconds by a parent who is having a life changing conversation with another adult 6) children who are clean after playing outside 7) children who are happy about doing school/home work. I think that's it.

Full churches in movies where no one complains about being hip-to-hip or having "their" seating area taken by a visitor. See Steel Magnolias.

People who chop and claim that the food is diced. Also, the frying verses sauteing issue.

Characters who are suppose to be mothers but never have a stain on their outfits. Also, characters who are suppose to be mother who have fashionable outfits, no muffin tops, and every hair on their head in a socially acceptable place. As you can see, false representations of parenting get under my skin. Oh, and parents of a newborn being shown as well rested yet involved in their children's lives.

Death being represented as a clean and tidy affair, both physically and emotionally.

High School being presented as the best time in a persons life rather than the snake pit it is. See any of the High School Musical movies as an illustration of this point.

A human body producing more than a gallon of blood at one time.

its also amusing to see the guy get shot, run all over the place, beat up the bad guy, hang onto a rope dragging him behind a car, etc. And then when the pretty lady tries to clean his wound, he winces. :lol::lol::lol:

Ha, that's one of my favorites! :lol:

Also, people who get knocked unconcious for long periods of time and then just groan and shake it off when they awaken.

So many action scenes in films and tv seem to have baddies who wait around for their turn to be killed.

In a circle, politely waiting their turn.

Pity the poor best friend of the hero. Always dies.

Also the gush of waters breaking, and a baby being born seconds later.

Dude, EVERYTHING. :lol: If people followed logic the movies would be short and rather boring. No one would go into the dark alone in a zombie or killer movie. People would ride bikes in zombie movies to be faster and never run out of fuel. The laws of physics would exist. Etc etc etc. :lol:

:iagree:

I just got my first look at a "Friday the 13th" movie last weekend. I don't know how I managed to go decades without seeing that gem. I guess there wouldn't have a been a movie had anyone bothered using common sense.

Pity the poor best friend of the hero. Always dies.

:D :D :D :D

That is so true. Whenever there's a buddy involved and he's not as big a movie star as the hero, you know he's not long for this world.

And if there's no best friend, it's his partner that dies, or his wife and kids get killed at the beginning of the movie and he's out for revenge. Of course, while he's seeking revenge, he teams up with a Hot Babe and they end up together at the end of the movie, because somehow he has managed to overcome his incredible grief over the period of about 2 days. :rolleyes:

I thought the very same thing! I think that's why we like them so much.

This movie is the same way, and we enjoy watching it a lot. Could it be the whole foreign martial arts vibe?

Ava

Defibrillators being used to bring people back to life and the weak cough that symbolizes successful return.

:iagree:

and for that matter

How often people go into comas on shows and they are on the cusp of death for weeks only to suddenly wake up and are able to immediately move and talk and sit up.

In real life if you go into a coma (which doesn't happen as often as movies show) chances are not great you will come out of it and if you do there is often a long recovery period before you can do - well anything and often lasting damage.

In my opinion "a coma" is the go to for a writer when the actor asks for a few weeks off to take a vacation :lol:

:D :D :D :D

That is so true. Whenever there's a buddy involved and he's not as big a movie star as the hero, you know he's not long for this world.

And if there's no best friend, it's his partner that dies, or his wife and kids get killed at the beginning of the movie and he's out for revenge. Of course, while he's seeking revenge, he teams up with a Hot Babe and they end up together at the end of the movie, because somehow he has managed to overcome his incredible grief over the period of about 2 days. :rolleyes:

And she, btw, can run in high heels, never breaks a sweat, keeps her coiffure looking splendid, never rips her clothes or gets more than a well-placed smudge of dirt on her.

You know, like us moms on a normal day. :D

Children who 1) go to bed when told to 2) happily eat whatever is on their plate 3) play quietly 4) wear whatever their parent picked out, without complaint 5) have tidy bedrooms or play areas that can be picked up in under thirty seconds by a parent who is having a life changing conversation with another adult 6) children who are clean after playing outside 7) children who are happy about doing school/home work. I think that's it.

Are you saying that this really doesn't EVER happen in real life???? Are you sure??? Because according to my MIL this was how it was for her when she was raising kids. I mean, you only forgot that 8) they do what they are told the very first time without talking back or whining. Oh, and 9) you never have to raise your voice to get your point across. Oh, and 10) Toddlers never have temper tantrums at all or at least never in a public place where people give you the hairy eyeball.

So, honestly, I'm not sure your post really applies to this thread.

So many action scenes in films and tv seem to have baddies who wait around for their turn to be killed.

The Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite books and overall they did a great job with the movies, but my goodness those orcs are so polite as they patiently wait in line for their turn to be decapitated by Aragorn. :rolleyes: In real life orcs are NEVER that well-behaved! :tongue_smilie:

I've written before about Kevin Costner in Robin Hood planning on walking from Dover to Nottingham in a day. Then on the way he goes via Northumberland (scenic views of Hadrian's Wall). When I asked Google Maps how long it would take, it suggested I take the ferry from Dover to Belgium, then another ferry from Belgium to Hull to shorten my walk! Not available to RH, I assume.

The Robert Downey Junior Sherlock film has them doing a quick sprint from Westminster to Tower Bridge. You could run it, but you'd be pretty puffed, especially in Victorian costume, by the time you arrived.

I'm sure geography in American films doesn't make sense either, but I only tend to notice the British occasions.

Laura

I have noticed the geography thing too. Bad offenders seem to be spy shows. They seem to magically move from one side of the planet to another quickly and without hassle or respect to war zones etc..in perfect designer gear, with amazing hair and looking perfectly rested, not crumpled and jet lagged.

Edited by lailasmum

I've written before about Kevin Costner in Robin Hood planning on walking from Dover to Nottingham in a day. Then on the way he goes via Northumberland (scenic views of Hadrian's Wall). When I asked Google Maps how long it would take, it suggested I take the ferry from Dover to Belgium, then another ferry from Belgium to Hull to shorten my walk! Not available to RH, I assume.

The Robert Downey Junior Sherlock film has them doing a quick sprint from Westminster to Tower Bridge. You could run it, but you'd be pretty puffed, especially in Victorian costume, by the time you arrived.

I'm sure geography in American films doesn't make sense either, but I only tend to notice the British occasions.

Laura

I noticed that with a recent indie film...can't remember the name. Susan Sarandon, Ed Helms, the guy from How I Met Your Mother... Anyways, it was set in Louisiana. First, they had NO accents. I'm sorry, born and bred Louisiana folks have accents. Second, they drove from Baton Rouge to New Orleans by crossing Lake Ponchatrain. That's silly. I still liked the movie though.

Total sidetrack, but Taken has one of my favorite movie quotes, "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

Change a few words and that quote can be used in almost any context. Dh's special skill is getting customer service to do what he wants. He's a customer service ninja.

I watched "Taken" with Liam Neeson last week on cable. My son wanted to see it, as he was interested in seeing "Taken 2" with friends. Anyway, something that really requires me to suspend reality is how Liam Neeson, who is now SIXTY freaking years old, is able to take on a room full of people and knock them out cold? I mean, I love action movies, but COME ON! He also does amazing physical feats for a 60 year old. Have you noticed that the bad guys in movies always wait their turn, so that the hero can knock them out, rather than all jumping him at the same time, which is what would actually happen? Amazingly, no bad guy ever has a gun in a group setting when the hero bursts onto the scene to take them all out!

I notice the same phenomenon in every action movie, but lately I've seen it everywhere. We love the TV show "Person of Interest", and 44 year old Jim Caviezel does this too. Enters a room full of people and knocks them all out without ever breaking a sweat. When he does this, we say, Well, he IS Jesus!" (he played Jesus in a movie role). :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, things that just don't make sense to me, but that I'd love to think could really happen. I guess that is why these movies are popular.

Haven't you seen the thing on Pinterest about Liam Neeson: He trained Batman, Obi-Wan and Darth Vader. He was both Zeus an Aslan making a god in at least two religions. He punches wolves and he slaughtered a small nation saving his previous dd. Plus he looks great in a kilt. He's just that good. :D

Haven't you seen the thing on Pinterest about Liam Neeson: He trained Batman, Obi-Wan and Darth Vader. He was both Zeus an Aslan making a god in at least two religions. He punches wolves and he slaughtered a small nation saving his previous dd. Plus he looks great in a kilt. He's just that good. :D

He's like Morgan Freeman as god. I once read an interview by MF saying he found it so weird that many Americans seem to love his portrayal of the Judeo-Christian god, since most of our general societal images of Jesus are of a white man.

How about the clips in a gun that seem to have an endless supply of bullets?

Or the fact that 10 guys with machine guns can't seem to hit one guy but that one guy can pull off a kill shot to the head on his first try with a handgun?

Why does the white girl always trip and fall when being chased by a killer?

Why would ANYONE remain INSIDE a house that just SPOKE to you and said "GET OUT"?

Many years ago DH and I watched a scary movie set in a museum. It was suppose to be the natural history museum in Washington D.C., but when they were running through the museum to get away from the monster they were clearly at the natural museum located in Chicago. When they finally escaped the building the were running down the steps of the Chicago science museum. :glare:

It makes no sense that Mel Gibson turned out to be an ass. I've watch Braveheart like 3 times in the past month. He is such a good actor, so gorgeous, so nuanced in his facial reactions. Why did he have to be a such a terrible anti -Semitic jerk?

Frustrating isn't it? Signs and Braveheart are two of my favorite movies. He is just so good. It stinks that he has to suck so much as a person.

Laura

Happens here too.

And on a related note, every single movie--NO EXCEPTION--in which there's a scene in DC, requires them to drive right in front of the US Capitol. And by the way, there's rarely traffic. I only ever watched one episode of "Bones," but they went past the Capitol to get from something like Reagan Airport to Arlington Cemetery. Um, NO. Not unless you've got out-of-town friends in the car who want to see the sights, and you've got loads of extra time to waste on driving in a different direction and sitting in traffic.

And the various senators and the snitches they're confiding in always walk along the Potomac or sit somewhere at an empty bench having their lunch. (An EMPTY bench.) I do know plenty of DC business people who go outside and walk somewhere for their lunch, mostly so they don't have to lose their parking spot. They're unlikely to spend an hour or more walking to the Potomac and back. I guess we're supposed to assume they took a taxi? They never say.

But because I'm a total nerd, I usually spend the next scene or two trying to work out how they can take such long lunch breaks, how they managed to walk that far without getting sweaty or wrinkled, or how on earth they're going to find a taxi back from that spot. Or if they had a driver drop them off, then how the meeting's going to stay a secret.

(The West Wing did this too occasionally, when it suited the plot; but I mostly LOVED the show because most people never had time for lunch, and if they ate at all, it was at their desk. THAT is realism, finally.)

How about the clips in a gun that seem to have an endless supply of bullets?

Or the fact that 10 guys with machine guns can't seem to hit one guy but that one guy can pull off a kill shot to the head on his first try with a handgun?

Why does the white girl always trip and fall when being chased by a killer?

Why would ANYONE remain INSIDE a house that just SPOKE to you and said "GET OUT"?

Along these lines, I like how the jolly chubby guy is usually the third to die. We need a few pithy quips for the movie poster before he's decapitated I guess.

Star Trek is FULL of nerdisms like these. I love my sci fi but I can drive my DH nuts with the, "Uh, what happened to the transporter?!" comments. They seem to be totally caught unawares for transporter malfunctions. If I were captain of a starship and my transporter started to act funky, I'd shut it down for awhile. In Starfleet, that's when the commander and three red shirts head out for a rock climbing session on a hostile planet full of hungry Gorn. :lol:

I'm going to start your days with some good old fashioned nerd here. :D

Along that same line, why do the killers always give long monologues to their victims first, giving the heros plenty of time to track them down and stop them at the very last minute?

And the chance to reason with them or talk them out of it, or express sympathy for their crummy childhood or horrible ex-girlfriend or humiliation at the hands of a bully that led to their murderous tendencies.

And in Paris, you can see the Eiffel Tower from any hotel window.

Edited by stripe

I also always wondered when watching X Files why every room they ever walked into was always so dark. It was like no one ever paid their electricity bills.

:iagree: I've often asked my husband, "Why don't they turn on the lights so they can see better, don't they know where the switch is?"

Star Trek is FULL of nerdisms like these. I love my sci fi but I can drive my DH nuts with the, "Uh, what happened to the transporter?!" comments. They seem to be totally caught unawares for transporter malfunctions. If I were captain of a starship and my transporter started to act funky, I'd shut it down for awhile. In Starfleet, that's when the commander and three red shirts head out for a rock climbing session on a hostile planet full of hungry Gorn. :lol:

I'm going to start your days with some good old fashioned nerd here. :D

:lol: So true!

:lol: Every time I watch Supernatural (tv), I think this. They kill so many demons...surely there are landfills full of people we've killed with Sam & Dean's DNA on them???

:lol: That always annoys me! Or how right after any kind of movie/tv birth, they are up walking around completely back to their old shape like nothing ever happened. You can tell men wrote those!

And at the very very very first contraction, they're moaning and flailing around and running for the doc to catch the baby. Where are the hours and days of early labor? The annoying walking around? The "I'm only at 3, what?!" :lol:

regarding Mel Gibson, I try not to think about what actors might be like in real life or I could never enjoy their movies. I find it sad how Mel has turned out. I remember the very first movie I saw him in "The Year of Living Dangerously" so handsome and those eyes. I have seen most of his movies, I will still watch the Mad Max ones and the Lethal Weapon ones when they are on tv. But still so sad how he has been the last few years, alcohol related, personality changes, rages, whatever it all is.