Menu

Are American Girl dolls worth the money?

My dd, almost 13, had another AG on her Christmas wish list this year. She has 4 at present, 3 we have gotten her and 1 she bought with her saved allowance. She plays with them a lot. She also had some of the less expensive dolls from apartment stores but when we had to compact our living space last spring the barbie dolls and the department store dolls were what she purged. She wouldn't think of getting rid of the AG dolls.:001_smile:

As someone else stated, the stories that goes along with them are great. She owns a few but has read multiple times every one that the library has.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read anything but I think they are very worth the money. My parents buy the dolls for the girls every year and we buy clothes etc from Target. We do buy some of the actual accessories like McKenna's gymnastics clothes, etc since those really go with her character. The girls love the dolls with the backstories, books, etc about them. They are very high quality!

If you check Etsy, you can often find outfits that various sellers make that fit well with the storylines. We do a different character each year with our homeschool AG group, and I usually am able to find several outfits for DD's doll that match the storyline.

I purchased a very nice 18" doll for christmas a few years ago, dd loves her. This past Christmas I purchased a just like me AG doll for dd and she loves her just as much. The AG doll looks very much like dd. Yes, I believe they are worth the money. I wish she had someone to play with her. Her friend does have an AG doll but she is more of an out doors girl and has little interest in her doll.

My girls love their AG dolls. They have held up very well. My youngest (10) is a huge AG fan. She brings one of her dolls on all our trips and even to church every week. (A friend who attends also brings her doll.) She uses her dolls to make stop motion videos and uploads them to YouTube. She is not really one to take care of her toys, but the AG dolls are different. She takes exceptional care of them.

QVC has had some pretty good deals the past few years for Christmas. They probably will again.

:) Beachy

Alright. We have nine so far. So, we think they are worth it but I'll never resell them. When DD is done, they will go in a box for my grandchildren someday.

I don't restrict DD when it comes to taking the dolls out of the house. I don't like it, especially with the retired dolls but what I cannot believe is the level of abuse they can take. And how darn easy it is to spruce them back up to near pristine-ness.

The have been worth it for us. They are consistently played with and have been for years.

We have two AG dolls and one Magic Attic doll from my oldest. One of each of them were given to my youngest dd last Christmas, along with some furniture and clothes. Most of the clothes were made by my mother - an entire footlocker full of clothes and accessories.

The Magic Attic is very similar in quality to the AG. I don't know if they are easily available anymore but I think back then they were cheaper. The third doll is in storage with a leg broken off but eventually we'll get it fixed and give that to dd too. She's rough with toys so for now she only plays supervised.

We've found that the real dolls hold up better.

The Wal Mart one uses an AG wheelchair as she lost her legs in the first year. My dc generally aren't as hard as most on toys, but the legs came off very easily. The hair, however, has held up well.

M-I-L bought both girls Target dolls for Christmas one year and immediately helped them wash their hair -- both have had absolute rats' nests ever since.

The girls each save up and bought real AG dolls. Older dd has had Josefina for 2-3 years ... granted, she got her toward the end of her doll play time, but she is in perfect condition. Younger dd got a 'like me' AG doll a year ago. I was concerned that 6 was on the young side, but the doll has held up very well. She certainly plays with hers more than her sister, but it's not that carried around everywhere item, either.

I am torn so am splitting the difference with DD6. She has never been that into dolls, the baby dolls, but now that friends are getting American Girl ones she would like one. I still have strong feelings for my first generation Cabbage Patch dolls and a new appreciation for my mother running to the store when there was a rumor of a new delivery. But DD6 started earning an allowance this Fall and if she saves $40 (approximately 10 weeks) then I will chip in the rest for Marie-Grace.

Ohhh.....how I longed for one! And I am sad to hear that Samantha's retired! She was my favorite. I loved her! I'm a fan of quality toys over quantity, so yes, I'd say they are worth it :)! Anything to keep them interested in dolls longer is with it to me.

Edited by lea_lpz

They're doing free shipping right now, through November 20, on $100 or more:

http://www.retailmenot.com/showcoupon/4064980

American Girls are beloved friends here as well, for both my 7-year-old and my 10-year-old. DD10 is also doing the video/stop motion thing with her dolls, and they're both taking an AG-based history class in our co-op.

Kinda wishing there was a Canadian version after what I've read here :tongue_smilie:

Hey! Yeah! Why aren't they jumping on that money route? What if she was a Quebec doll? I'd be all over that.

Thank you all! It looks like dd will be getting one for Christmas. She has picked one of the dolls that look like her. It has curly hair, so I think I may overrule that selection, but hopefully she will actually play with this doll. I do think the one she bought last year was from Target, and the hair is terrible!

I've never seen a doll on these sales,but they usually do free shipping in November. That would save you some money.

i've never seen a doll either. their cyber monday sale starts about 2am. a bunch of us stay up all night and put an order together and split the shipping costs.

the cyber sale stuff sells out fast.

robin

I was sent that link via pm, and honestly?

I was hoping for dolls to tie into Canadian history the way AG does. I didn't see anything distinctive about the dolls other than their little bio.

AG has a lot more variety of dolls available.

You know what that means?

It means you have found a market that is unfilled, and you should fill it. :D

What about for a girl who hasn't ever really played with dolls? My oldest does stuffed animals, but not dolls. We got her a Madame Alexander Fancy Nancy do,l for Christmas two years ago. Thought she'd love it because she loved Fancy Nancy. It was the biggest flop that year. :glare:

Luckily her little sister loved and carried her everywhere for that time. Her hair has definitely seen better days, though...

BUT... We just got an AG catalog in the mail and my oldest swears she'd play with THIS doll. She doesn't have many friends, and I can't imagine the few she does have owning an AG doll.

All of that makes me skeptical to spend $100+ on a doll. Maybe I should see if she likes the books...

What about for a girl who hasn't ever really played with dolls? My oldest does stuffed animals, but not dolls. We got her a Madame Alexander Fancy Nancy do,l for Christmas two years ago. Thought she'd love it because she loved Fancy Nancy. It was the biggest flop that year. :glare:

Luckily her little sister loved and carried her everywhere for that time. Her hair has definitely seen better days, though...

BUT... We just got an AG catalog in the mail and my oldest swears she'd play with THIS doll. She doesn't have many friends, and I can't imagine the few she does have owning an AG doll.

All of that makes me skeptical to spend $100+ on a doll. Maybe I should see if she likes the books...

My DD didn't like dolls either and didn't play with them. The year Rebecca came out, she was in love and hasn't stopped playing with them. Today, all her AG dolls had "jobs." Some were taking care of the horses, some were taking care of the other pets, some were folding laundry, and others were cooking. She came downstairs later and told me how tired all of them were :D

The books are great! I think the books are a big part of what drew her in and got her to continue playing with them.

Yes, they are worth it to me. BUT, I have bought all of ours used from craigslist or ebay for $30-$40 less than retail . All have been like new or in very good condition. We have bought some of the clothes new from the store-I was the weak one on that trip! But we get most of the clothes from etsy.com for very reasonable prices.

I didn't see anything distinctive about the dolls other than their little bio.

I love the Canadian doll clothing -I'm dying to buy that hockey outfit :D

I need to buy my DD a doll so I can get it :lol:

I think Saila is awesome as well but my DD prefers the blondies.

I'm also drooling over these

http://shop.maplelea.com/clothing-accessories/by-category/heritage-outfits/a-la-mode-ecossaise.html

http://shop.maplelea.com/clothing-accessories/by-category/heritage-outfits/amazing-amauti.html

http://shop.maplelea.com/clothing-accessories/by-category/oh-canada/strong-and-free.html

http://shop.maplelea.com/clothing-accessories/by-category/casual-outfits/clam-digger.html

I love the Canadian doll clothing -I'm dying to buy that hockey outfit :D

I need to buy my DD a doll so I can get it :lol:

I think Saila is awesome as well but my DD prefers the blondies.

I'm also drooling over these

http://shop.maplelea.com/clothing-accessories/by-category/heritage-outfits/a-la-mode-ecossaise.html

http://shop.maplelea.com/clothing-accessories/by-category/heritage-outfits/amazing-amauti.html

http://shop.maplelea.com/clothing-accessories/by-category/oh-canada/strong-and-free.html

http://shop.maplelea.com/clothing-accessories/by-category/casual-outfits/clam-digger.html

See, that's exactly what I mean. Some of the outfits are cute (but $$) but it's not the DOLL that's special, kwim? They reuse the same 5. They don't have the individual dolls w/the heritage the way that AG does.

I'm thinking one day I may get Princess an AG, and then see about an outfit from the Cdn site...but $50 for a doll outfit? :svengo:

The hockey outfit is more...where's that vomiting smiley?

And the dolls are the same size as the AG ones.

Edited by Impish

I'd seriously check Etsy and see if anyone has made Canadian Heritage outfits for AG dolls-given that my DD was able to get an AG-sized replica of her recreational cheer team uniform (made by a sweet grandma in VA who seemed to love every minute of it, given the enthusiasm of her e-mails back and forth outlining every detail), it's very likely that even if there's not a Highland dance outfit, there's someone who can make one. Usually we're able to find clothes on Etsy, but have purchased a few of the AG prop sets.

I have only 1 dd and she asked for an AG doll when she turned 7. She got Kit and she has sat in a bin in her closet for years, she never plays with her. So sad, because *i* think they are so cool, and love all of the furniture and accessories and so would have been thrilled to collect them for her. Maybe I'll have a grand daughter some day.

What about for a girl who hasn't ever really played with dolls?

You just described my ten year old. When she wanted an AG doll this year, I was very reluctant. However, she loves the doll and plays with it all the time. I always loved dolls so I am excited that she has finally fell in love with a doll!!!!

Suzanne

I got my dd one when she was 5. I would have waited until she was a little older, but we were moving to India for two years till there now) and I wanted her to have a "friend" doll to bring with her. I got it used on ebay for about $50. She loves her doll. She is now saving her allowance for another and should have enough money when we visit the States at Christmas time.

My dd is now 7 and ds is 4. Now my ds really wants one because they play dolls all the time. He has a cheap baby doll from target but he wants a boy (not a baby) "with real hair." So I looked online and lots of people have made boy dolls from both knock-off AGs and from real ones. You can either cut the hair the doll comes with or buy a boy doll wig from a doll supply place and replace the hair. So I found a used AG on ebay with a bad haircut and have ordered a boy wig. I had them sent to my mom's and when we are there I'll rewig the doll to be a boy. I'm sewing the clothes. I would have preferred to find a same size AG knock-off doll at a thrift store, but since we are out of the country, that wasn't going to work. Some people like to make the boy characters from the AG books.

Here are a couple etsy sellers who make boy dolls. If you click on sales, it will show past sales and see more examples. Often the hair is a little longer than I would like on these, so I'm going to make mine a little shorter.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TwiceLovedDolls

http://www.etsy.com/shop/dollsandfunstuff/sold?ref=shopinfo_sales_leftnav

Only read the first page - but I'll have to be the outlier here and say NO.

My older 2 girls have a combined 5-6 plus 2 bitty baby toddlers and a gazillion outfits.

SOOOOOOO not worth it. In the past year since we moved, the box has only been out of the garage for about 3 weeks (and that was just b/c my MIL was visiting and soem of the stuff was gifts from here and i knew she'd be looking for it!) Once she left, the girls lost interest and BACK TO THE GARAGE they went!

Of course, now that the Christmas catalog came, they have requested new dolls - hahhahahah..... I doubt they'll make it to the 'final list" of 3 things they are allowed to ask Santa for!

My dd (5 yo) loves her AG doll. We actually got her a Gotz for Christmas last year because it had rooted hair and I thought it looked a bit cuter than the AG doll. She then got an AG doll for her birthday in March because she saw McKenna (the doll of the year) and fell in love because she looks just like dd. I am really impressed with the AG doll. They both are very well used but the Gotz doll's hair is already not as nice and the AG doll's hair looks brand new still. They are expensive but if your dd loves dolls then I think it is money well spent.

McKenna is a very pretty doll. My daughter just got her a few weeks ago.

Great! DD picked one of the design your own dolls that has shorter curly hair, but since a few said the curly hair is a little harder to manage, we will get this one for our first. She wants to be able to do braids and other styles, so the longer hair should be a plus for that. And, if dd doesn't play with her, she will be able to decide later if she wants to sell her, and her value will have most likely increased.

I will be putting her away for Christmas, and will ask family to buy accessories for Christmas gifts.

I love AG dolls. DD and I both have look alikes. She got one as a gift, and a gift card for another friend. And she said I'm her friend so she wants one that looks like me :001_wub:

We dress them up together. It's fun. Sewing clothes for them is fun too

We're going to try out the Target version this Christmas, to see how interested DD actually is in them. She's not really familiar with the brand, just requesting a doll with "real" hair. Even if she does want an AG someday I think it will have to be mostly her own money because they are MUCH more than we spend on gifts.

It also helped that one of the Target dolls looks so much like her and the story fits in perfectly with DD's interests.

We're going to try out the Target version this Christmas, to see how interested DD actually is in them. She's not really familiar with the brand, just requesting a doll with "real" hair. Even if she does want an AG someday I think it will have to be mostly her own money because they are MUCH more than we spend on gifts.

It also helped that one of the Target dolls looks so much like her and the story fits in perfectly with DD's interests.

OP here again. We do not own an AG doll, but I am getting dd one for Christmas.

We do own the Wal-mart and the Target versions. Dd did not play with either for very long. The hair is TERRIBLE! DD could not style it and it is now a frizzy, matted mess....and, she barely played with it. So, I have to say that it wasn't even worth the price. This comes from a mom that swore I would never spend the $ for an AG doll because I didn't see the value. After this thread, I am willing to try and see the money we put into the cheaper dolls as a waste.

All this doll talk took me back to memories of my mom. She used to make outfits for our Ginny dolls. Anyone have those? We had student nurse outfits and little school uniforms made out of leftovers from when she sewed our uniforms. She'd take a Keds box--they were chambray colored on the box and denim-looking for the lid and the dolls would be sitting in them every Christmas morning with a new outfit on! My mom got me a bigger doll when I was about 12, and then made a zillion outfits for them. I have wool coats, and fancy dressup clothes and all sorts of things. She made them out of material from my outfits, so we matched--such great memories! This is a woman who made BOUND BUTTONHOLES in doll clothes!!! :D

I had a Ginny doll! I loved that thing!

I also had a Mandy. My sister and I both got one that year and that was the doll my mother made clothes for. It got TONS of play. (Though mostly because I had a sister to play with) I didn't hear about American Girl until I was all grown up. Mandy was the doll I had that was similar. And honestly? Not having the historical stories, I never missed them.

i've never seen a doll either. their cyber monday sale starts about 2am. a bunch of us stay up all night and put an order together and split the shipping costs.

the cyber sale stuff sells out fast.

robin

Does anyone know if AG stores have big sales the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving? My dd bought my gd's Bitty Babies for Christmas and we want to buy accessories for them. They will be here for Thanksgiving and since they opened the store in St. Louis, we might try and see if they have sales.

I had a Ginny doll! I loved that thing!

I also had a Mandy. My sister and I both got one that year and that was the doll my mother made clothes for. It got TONS of play. (Though mostly because I had a sister to play with) I didn't hear about American Girl until I was all grown up. Mandy was the doll I had that was similar. And honestly? Not having the historical stories, I never missed them.

I had a Mandy too! In fact, I still have her and she now belongs to DD. Her hair is smooth and looks great....and I have all the clothes my mom made for her. DD says she is the little sister of McKenna. I love that DD loves Mandy as much as I did and plays with her as much as her AG doll.