Menu

Are American Girl dolls worth the money?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. In my opinion.

My neighbor has her dolls... an adult woman with dolls she received as a young child... and they are in incredible condition. Add to that the historical story behind most of them, the books and educational opportunities, the cute clothes and the doll hospital for "accidents"...

Yes, I think they are worth it. My daughter has Felicity (now retired; we found her on ebay after she tragically lost her first Felicity in an awful Philadelphia bed bug incident many years ago). We also found a brand new Samantha (also retired) on ebay. Given, for the retired dolls you are going to pay almost twice the normal price for a doll in like new condition, but I think they're worth every penny. You can even get dolls that look exactly like your child for the same price as the historical dolls.

I'm biased. I love them and wish I had one as a child :glare:.

Personally, I think they are worth the price. My daughter now has 5 and got her first when she was 5. The long hair dolls can get tangled but usually brush out well. My daughter is almost 9 and really enjoys her dolls. She plans on keeping them and passing them down to her daughter someday. They have held up well and we are very happy with them. All of her dolls have increased in value and 4 of them are collector's items that she could sell for more than we bought them for if she really wanted to. If you are planning ot get one for Christmas, I would recommend to sign up your email with the AG website. They usually have a really great Cyber Monday sale and weekly sales all of December.

Yes, they are worth every penny. My dd has 9 (along with all their "acoutrements"), and she played with them constantly for YEARS. We sent only one doll to AG's doll hospital in all that time, and it was for a stuck eye issue, not a hair thing.

The knock offs are no substitute for the real thing.

I do think they are worth it. I am not sorry I bought one when dd was young. One "side benefit" that I liked about having one was that it gave relatives a good gift idea when Christmas would roll around. :D My mother made the doll a pair of flannel pjs and a bathrobe one year and it was SO cute!

They have a hairbrush for the dolls; it's not a bad idea to have one. If the doll you choose has a braid or anything already in their hair, LEAVE it in.

they are more worth it if their friends are still into it. my girls (9 &12) love them and can play for hours together. my 9 year old has a few friends who stil love their dolls but it is frowned upon at PS so they come over here and play together. my 12 year old has a friend who recently at age 14 is starting a collection. her mom won;t buy them and now that she babysits, she can afford to purchase items found at yard sales. my 12 year old is thrilled. they actually had an american girl sleepover last weekend (and the 9 year old wasn't allowed near them while they played)

so for us, well worth the $$. but we have mostly yard sale dolls.

Robin

Personally, I think they are worth the price. My daughter now has 5 and got her first when she was 5. The long hair dolls can get tangled but usually brush out well. My daughter is almost 9 and really enjoys her dolls. She plans on keeping them and passing them down to her daughter someday. They have held up well and we are very happy with them. All of her dolls have increased in value and 4 of them are collector's items that she could sell for more than we bought them for if she really wanted to. If you are planning ot get one for Christmas, I would recommend to sign up your email with the AG website. They usually have a really great Cyber Monday sale and weekly sales all of December.

Can you elaborate on the AG Cyber monday sales & weekly sales? DD wants Molly :D

I totally agree!

My girls have many between the two of them. The dolls were well loved and held up wonderfully. They are now safely packed away --- my girls were not willing to part with their American girls! :)

I have to say, I am shocked and saddened to hear that Felicity and Samantha are retired??? Huh?

I thought the whole point was the historical story tie-in. I am so glad we kept the accoutrements....

So glad this was asked and answered!

Both my dd's have asked for American Girl dolls almost 3 years in a row for Christmas. I've sewn clothing and accesories for customers in my etsy shop, but never actually own one.

This year the dolls appeared on the girls lists again. I finally asked the inlaws to not send gifts for the girls and to consider putting their gift money for the girls towards the dolls to help us with the cost. His family requested the model #'s and said they'll purchase the dolls for the girls!!!

I'm so thrilled to know they are worth the cost! And they last a long time! I'm sewing up old Gymboree clothing altered to fit the dolls for the girls! :)

Yes! Both my girls have several. They are definitely dolls we will keep to hand down to the grand daughters, should we get them. The still play with them.

Both my girls also have Bitty Baby dolls. They are worth the cost as well.

My dd has one. And she has a Bitty Baby. We got her the Bitty Baby when she was 8 so for a PP asking about a Bitty Baby for her 4-5yo, I would say yes, go for it.

We just bought her a One Generation doll from Target, that is a knock-off for only 1/5 of the price. The arms are somewhat squishy, so they don't poke you if you hold them, which is nice. The One Generation doll is just as pretty as the AG doll. We haven't had it long enough to know about the hair, but it sure is nice to be able to get a doll, several outfits, accessories, and a book for the same price as one doll with just the outfit it came in from AG.

I don't regret getting her an AG doll though. I think every little girl should have at least one :)

What about the Bitty Babies? I was going to get my 2 year old a doll for Christmas and didn't know if these were worth it for her age or not.

My mom buys Bitty for all the grandchildren when they turn one. My dd LOVED that doll. It was her real baby. Now, she still loves that doll, and she turns 7 soon!! I honestly don't know why she loved THAT doll. But, we have pictures of her opening her Bitty when she was one. She LOVED that baby!!!!

The Monday after Thanksgiving there is usually a big online sale that starts at midnight central time. Items are limited but there are usually some great deals. There are rarely dolls on the Cyber Monday sale, but lots of furniture, clothes, accessories, pets, books, games, etc. After that, there are weekly specials listed under the sale section on the website. Usually there is a week when the dolls are on sale. I recommend you sign up your email with the website, they are good about alerting one to sales and sending promo codes when they become available.

Another yes! My dd got her first one (Samantha) for her 6th birthday. She has received several more since and purchased some with her own money. She has a bitty baby and a set of bitty twins too. She'll be 15 in January, and now she's into photography and sewing. Yep, she takes 'the girls' outside for 'photo shoots', and she has taught herself to sew making clothes for 'her girls'.

My mom buys Bitty for all the grandchildren when they turn one. My dd LOVED that doll. It was her real baby. Now, she still loves that doll, and she turns 7 soon!! I honestly don't know why she loved THAT doll. But, we have pictures of her opening her Bitty when she was one. She LOVED that baby!!!!

That's good to hear. My daughter wants a baby for Christmas and I know she's too young to appreciate an American Girl doll. This might be the baby she would like. Or at least, I hope so...

My girls love American Girl dolls. Including the bitty twins, we have 7 dolls for 3 girls. They play with them all the time and make up all kinds of neat little activities for them. I think they are very nicely made dolls. But...I'm not convinced they are actually worth the money and are superior to all the other dolls. I think the Madame Alexander and Goetz dolls are probably just as nice and a little less expensive. There's also some dolls from England (Girls of All Time, or something like that) which aren't cheaper but look a little nicer, IMO. With American Girl, I think it is given that you are paying a premium for the name and the ability to buy matching accessories and an accompanying story line.

Dd wants on for Christmas, but I have never been sold on the price. Last year, we bought her a similar doll at the toy store for much less. She hasn't really played with it and says its hair tangles. Does the AG hair tangle? Are they worth the price?

Um, after reading all the posts, I would add a note of caution. My dd has the Bitty Baby twins. They were a gift and I didn't realize how much they cost. Just now, I googled it and my jaw just dropped. Had I known, I would have refused the gift. My dd is hard on toys.

The dolls now resemble Chuckie and the Bride of Chuckie. They have been decorated with nail polish, magic marker, and various other decorative materials. I think the girl received a haircut. The boy has permanent blue eyeshadow. My dd was six when she got the dolls and she does not have ready access to any of the products she used to enhance the dolls' appearances.

I don't see dd getting another doll anytime soon.

Um, after reading all the posts, I would add a note of caution. My dd has the Bitty Baby twins. They were a gift and I didn't realize how much they cost. Just now, I googled it and my jaw just dropped. Had I known, I would have refused the gift. My dd is hard on toys.

The dolls now resemble Chuckie and the Bride of Chuckie. They have been decorated with nail polish, magic marker, and various other decorative materials. I think the girl received a haircut. The boy has permanent blue eyeshadow. My dd was six when she got the dolls and she does not have ready access to any of the products she used to enhance the dolls' appearances.

My daughter's AG doll is a mess after a year. It was a curly haired doll and the hair is now one big clump and she has a black eye.

My sister decorated and trashed her dolls until she was well into her teens, but I must say her dolls were very well loved no matter what nightmares they looked like they came from.

My girls love American Girl dolls. Including the bitty twins, we have 7 dolls for 3 girls. They play with them all the time and make up all kinds of neat little activities for them. I think they are very nicely made dolls. But...I'm not convinced they are actually worth the money and are superior to all the other dolls. I think the Madame Alexander and Goetz dolls are probably just as nice and a little less expensive. There's also some dolls from England (Girls of All Time, or something like that) which aren't cheaper but look a little nicer, IMO. With American Girl, I think it is given that you are paying a premium for the name and the ability to buy matching accessories and an accompanying story line.

I don't know about the Goetz ones, but I would stay away from the Madame Alexander ones. Dd got one for Christmas one year and the hair was a giant puffy frizzy mess with in a couple of days. Called the company and I had never experienced such rude customer service people before. :confused: She has a Corolle doll with hair that has done really well.

Edited by hmschooln

But if you want to, you can send them to the doll hospital and have their appearances fixed when your DD starts caring for her toys better.

DD has had my bitty baby since she was 3. She is getting my Felicity and Kirsten dolls and all of Kirsten's stuff for Christmas. She is nearly 5. They are great dolls to be able to pass along. I got my first one about 24-25 heats ago. My sister was 5 when she got her first doll. Her hair needs some attention, but otherwise, the 25 year old doll is perfect. We played with them for years and they have held up great!

I agree that the AG dolls are better quality than the cheaper ones you find at Target or Wal-Mart. Ariel got both Emily (oddly enough, the only AG doll that isn't American :lol:) and another brand of doll for Christmas. Emily is far superior in quality to the other (I don't even know what brand it is, to be honest), even though the other doll is prettier. As long as her hair is gently brushed, the tangles come out much easier on Emily than on the other.

For Christmas, Ariel is trying to decide between another AG doll (she keeps saying she wants Molly, so Emily will have her friend) or one of the A Girl for All Time dolls (probably Amelia). I think the Girl for All Time dolls are prettier, and I like that they have bendable elbows and knees, but then again, virtually no one has heard of them outside of Great Britain. Not that I mind being different, we do homeschool, after all. We have a certain level of weirdness we have to maintain. ;)

What age would you give one as a gift to a girl? Would four be too young?

If she's gentle with her toys, I think it would be fine, but I'd be more likely to give a child that age either a Bitty Baby or the Bitty Twins. The regular AG dolls have a number of things that have very small buttons and the shoes might be too frustrating for a child that young.

They are cherished possessions to my daughter. My daughter takes good care of her own AG dolls, as well as doing repairs and running her own "doll hospital" for her friends. She tightens loose limbs and does "Downy dunks" for problem hair :001_smile:.

What age would you give one as a gift to a girl? Would four be too young?

I guess it probably depends on the 4 yo. My daughter got her first AG doll at 7. She had a Bitty Baby when she was younger. I know for my own daughter, she wouldn't have been able to take care of the hair at 4.

DD1 has an insane amount of dolls that her grandma bought her and I still think they are pretty much worth it. The accessories don't feel as worth their price, but if it helps, the resale price on a doll is pretty good.

I would still try to find them used in very good condition, if possible just because I have a hard time spending that much money on essentially a toy.

At first I wasn't sure about the price either. So I told my oldest dd that if she wanted one she would have to save for it herself. I figured if she really wanted one she could do it. If she didn't want it that bad she wouldn't. Well, she saved and saved and worked and worked and got her doll. She was so excited and proud of herself that she is already saving for Caroline, the new girl. Soooo we got it for her for Christmas ;). I can't wait to see her face :D!

The dolls are absolutely lovely, very well made, hold their value, and are highly collectable. I'm a fan now.

A warning on the AG dolls if you make the clothing. They are chubbier than Goetz and several other dolls. If you're making something elaborate like a wedding dress, make something out of less expensive material to check out the fit first.

This wool coat barely fit. The wedding dress was fun (I have another one to finish) but I'm glad I checked out the fit first because it was a LOT of work!

Is the doll in your picture an AG doll?

She doesn't look like any I've seen and she doesn't have the two front teeth, which all except Kaya have. I'm wondering if that's why the clothes aren't fitting as well for you.

Both your outfits are great! I've made some doll clothes for the AG dolls, but I'm not brave enough to attempt a wedding dress. I haven't had a problem though with clothes not fitting.

Thanks for asking this. My 6 year is a gymnast and she wants McKenna, especially since her team "big sister" had that name. Apparently that's the Doll of the Year and will only be sold for a few more months? What about the accessories? Do they go away when the doll does? We don't have any AG and I didn't know if it was worth the cost.

Another one who thinks they are worth the money. We bought a cheaper version and the hair was a mess once dd took it out of it's original braid, I mean immediately after the braid came out. Never was able to get the tangles out, we even trimmed the hair and still tangles. A mess. The AG doll has had her hair in every possible style so far and still smooth and glossy like the day we got her and she is 2 yrs old now.

The doll of the year and her stuff will vanish in December-or, possibly, earlier. Having said that, my DD was thrilled recently when she found several of Kanani's add-on sets at our local bargain/surplus store, since she'd wanted Kanani last year, but hadn't gotten the actual doll. (She has Kaya and I have Molly, which gives a doll for two girls to play together if she has a friend over who doesn't have an AG doll, but so far, we've tended to buy outfits and accessories to dress Kaya in, rather than new dolls.)

DD's not a big doll person, but does enjoy her AG dolls, and we have an AG group that reads a book each month and gets together to learn about the history. The girls all bring their dolls. It's kind of neat to have 5 yr olds and 15 yr olds together. I'm excited because we're doing Molly this year, and Molly is MY doll (Molly is the doll that I would have killed for as a little brunette girl with glasses-which is why I bought her for myself).

Is the doll in your picture an AG doll?

She doesn't look like any I've seen and she doesn't have the two front teeth, which all except Kaya have. I'm wondering if that's why the clothes aren't fitting as well for you.

Both your outfits are great! I've made some doll clothes for the AG dolls, but I'm not brave enough to attempt a wedding dress. I haven't had a problem though with clothes not fitting.

:iagree:That doll is not an AG doll. Maybe that's why the clothes didn't fit as you hoped they would. The outfits are beautiful, BTW!

It depends on how you determine "worth." My DD has 11 of them (many were bought used and repaired/restored by me) and for us they're worth it because she plays with them almost every day. She makes up these fantastic adventures for them.

As for the hair, if the knock-off you got her was a Target doll, yes, their hair is terrible. It's a different kind, and rooted, I believe. American Girl dolls have good-quality wigs, which isn't to say they won't tangle. The longer or more elaborate the hairstyle, the more chance of tangling. I would avoid Marie-Grace, Cecile, Caroline, Josefina (if you take her hair out of the braid, and your daughter will) Kaya (braids again, and due to the texture of her hair, it's difficult to get back in a decent style) and Rebecca (curls, but a thinner wig than most AG dolls) if you want to keep the hair nice. Kit has the easiest hair to care for, and also has one of the nicer collections of outfits and accessories.

I'm sure others have told you this already, but to care for their hair you need a spray bottle of water and a doll brush or pick. Break hair into small sections, spray, and brush or comb starting at the bottom and working your way up. Avoid getting water in the eyes because they can rust.

In our house they are.

We have a collection (from so many girls) and they are still played with and asked for.

We're not ones t get all the stuff that goes with, I sew much of their clothes, but the actual dolls get a ton of use around here and the girls talk about keeping them nice for their own daughters.

I don't want to hi-jack your thread, but what age do you think it is ok to get an AG doll? I want to get one for my older dd but I think the younger would be screaming mad if she didn't get one too. I'm afraid the younger dd would destroy one.

DD got her first one when she was 5 (she had just turned 5) but I wasn't afraid she'd destroy it. She's usually careful with her toys. If I was afraid she'd wreck it, I would have waited a couple years. Would she be into Bitty Baby? That's made for younger kids. Unfortunately, my DD has never been into babies, and the AG dolls were the first dolls she showed any interest in at all.

I don't want to hi-jack your thread, but what age do you think it is ok to get an AG doll? I want to get one for my older dd but I think the younger would be screaming mad if she didn't get one too. I'm afraid the younger dd would destroy one.

We have a destructive younger one but so far I've kept my collectible dolls (from childhood, not AG brand) safe and my older is allowed to play with them supervised. If I wait until the youngest is no longer rough with things, my oldest will miss out so we aren't waiting on AG for the oldest. In answer to the question of if AG is worth it ... it's a lot of $ to us and I never thought we'd have one in our house. But one of ours is getting one as a gift from a family member who will be teaching to make blankets and stuff for the doll.

We'll just be very careful and be prepared to have to do some repairs if something does happen. I've looked at jujsky's blog and seen a lot on youtube as far as care for dolls that need TLC. You can find a lot of help there.

I don't know the ages of your girls but maybe the older could get a full size and the younger one of the six-inch AG Minis (no idea if they are worth it) or a Bitty Baby or a Corolle doll ... or they could each get a Bitty Twin if close enough in age?

I'll chime in and say that I think that they are worth it as well. Between my two daughters we have... well, a lot of AG dolls. :001_smile: We find them to be completely worth it.

Some have hair that is easier to care for than others. Obviously, Kit's hair is much easier to manage than say, Kanani's. However, my girls are not at all hard on their dolls and they have all stayed looking very nice.

They have a lot of the clothes and accessories too. Some of the clothes and accessories seem worth the price, others don't.

For the previous poster who asked about McKenna, the Doll of the Year: She will only be available on the AG website and in stores through December 31st. This is also true for all of her accessories and clothing. It isn't uncommon for things to sell out prior to the end of the year for the popular Dolls of the Year. McKenna seems to be very popular, so I wouldn't be surprised if she sells out before Christmas, and I feel that it is likely that some of her accessories definitely will. She is a beautiful doll and my younger daughter is really enjoying her!

I haven't read anything but I think they are very worth the money. My parents buy the dolls for the girls every year and we buy clothes etc from Target. We do buy some of the actual accessories like McKenna's gymnastics clothes, etc since those really go with her character. The girls love the dolls with the backstories, books, etc about them. They are very high quality!

only getting online on Saturdays makes me so late in responding . . . sorry.

In my opinion, as long as they continue to have a high resale value, they are worth it.

Our experience:

-- very good quality (hair doesn't fall out when v.i.g.o.r.o.u.s.l.y. brushed, for example).

-- very good replacement/repair service

-- good-looking, very good-quality dolls that don't fall apart with vigorous play.

-- clothing that washes very well.

-- accessories that hold up well.

For the listed reasons I would consider buying one. Because so far they have a great resale value, I don't mind my daughter having more than one.

If my daughter decides to save her dolls for her children, they'll still be in excellent condition: not b/c she took such great care of them but b/c they have held up so well in spite of her rough care.

If she decides to sell them when she gets older, she'll get a goodly chunk of change if they continue to hold their value.