Menu

Do we have any hits or misses for this year yet?

mama25angels

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, best year yet!

Phonetic Zoo

Linguistic development through Poetry memorization

Writing with Skill

Miquon

Beast Academy

R&S English

My student logbook

These are our new adds, and I am really happy with all of them.

Oh, and tap dancing:lol::lol:

No misses yet.

Edited by Northwest_Mama
forgot one

Most of what I'm using is stuff we've just continued with (aka prior hits :D).

The new stuff we love...

Our daily writer's workshop with IEW and No More "I'm Done!" (plus the veritable Kitchen Sink of supplements :lol:). I bought TWSS & SWI-A and my kids love Pudewa. I love that I really can take the units and apply across the curriculum, which is just how I like doing writing. This takes us up a notch from what we were doing with WWE and will be a great bridge to use between WWE and WWS...or forever. We'll see. :tongue_smilie:

Ideas from Awakening the Heart (for poetry) are being added. We are also upping our poetry memory work and incorporating Waldorf style poetry books.

Teaching the Classics. I've owned this for a while. It works much better when you actually use it. :lol: We're doing a fun Family Book Club, using TTC and making a Character Collage for the year. We each pick our favorite character from the books we read, illustrate them on pre-cut paper doll shapes, and put them all together in a collage.

Doing history as a family. (We are continuing with the same resources but doing it as a family is awesome! We do art/projects, notebooking, mapwork/timelines, picture book read-alouds, etc. in the mornings but spine reading and documentaries are done in the evening with Dad.)

Inquiry Science is expanding to incorporate more tinkering/Maker activities.

Swim Team!

Art Lab for Kids has been fun too, especially for DD. DH put our IKEA book rails up in our long hallway and it has become the kids' art gallery.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Hits:

LOE Foundations (kindy beta program)

LOE Cursive handwriting for my 3rd grader (first year he hasn't sobbed through writing)

WWE1 for my 3rd grader - he doesn't love it but he's not crying which is a HUGE improvement.

BSFU has been a hit since last year

Misses:

MCT Island. It's a huge fail for us. We haven't even done it for the last few weeks because we just don't care. Everyone seems to love Mud and we just don't. The vocabulary is OK and that's about it.

ETA: Another miss is Life of Fred. My kids are totally uninterested in it.

Edited by Shelsi

Biggest hit as far as dd#2 is concerned:

Elemental Science's Lapbooking through Biology.

DD#1 loves our poetry memorization - whether from FLL or as part of our biology studies (we are substituting for ES's poems with these or my own)

Biggest flop in our house from dd#1 & my perspectives:

Megawords

I'm just happy everything else is getting done (mostly) as scheduled.

MUS is a huge hit with me-the jury is still out for my dc, but at least they don't hate it!:D

Also, just started Notgrass, "America the Beautiful" (We are adding lots of books to it to flesh it out) I'm happy because I wanted to add American History and it can be as simple or fleshed out as I want/need it to be, depending on our schedule.

Hits:

DD says- AAS and SOTW1

DS says- handwriting (homemade worksheets through John 1 in Latin/English) and FLL

Me- Prima Latina and Narnia with ROAR

Miss:

Life of Fred... Kids think it's so so, and I just don't see the value. We borrowed the first four books and won't be purchasing. Maybe we'll try again with Fractions.

I was surprised to find that Evan-Moor Daily Geography was a huge hit in my house. My struggling student loves having a subject that says Monday, Tuesday Wednesday... She feels great about being able to easily do more than is expected of her each day.

I also really love reading The Child's Story Bible Bible by Catherine Vos. It is very well done, and extremely different from all of our other children's Bibles.

Our biggest miss was Mystery of History. The audio is just so bland. We will be returning to SOTW next year.

Our year is going well. Continuing hits are Math Mammoth, Life of Fred, WWS, MCT Town, and living books/lit-based history w/ SOTW as a spine.

New hits this year are home-grown science (biology), which includes Equine Science from WP, entomology, cell biology, and microorganisms (so far), literary discussion/analysis, Zacarro's Challenge Math, Hands-On Equations, and Latin Prep

Misses (sadly): The Creative Writer has been a dud. I think we will put it aside and come back to it later, maybe. DD likes to write stories and plays, and could use help improving, but this approach has been so dry it has kind of sucked the joy out of creative writing for her. We are going to try Gail Carson Levine's writing book. We are also moving away from BFSU, and I don't think we'll continue to use it next year.

We all like EM Daily Geography. Finally getting some map skills in and it doesn't take long and we are all learning something.

Both kids love Mindbenders.

For me, R&S grammar. We are using it for grammar and writing. So glad I didn't get another writing program. This has the right amount of writing for my son. It's easy to do more in other subjects if we need it. And we will continue with this until ds is 7th grade before adding in a stand alone writing program again.

Finally got RS Spanish on my schedule and it's getting done. Kids like it a lot. Dd is up there now trying to redo sections for a better score. Can't beat that! I haven't done my lessons though...

We are also using Homeschool in the Woods The Old Testament activity pak. It's been a good amount of Bible for us. My son who hated any lapbooking previously is making the lessons and is looking forward to putting it together. The Proverb copywork is leading to great discussions. And the newspaper aspect is adding in writing in a subject I hadn't considered using writing in.

Misses:

Homeschool in the Woods Great Empires activity studies. I had the Ancient Egypt stuff printed out but with our other studies it was just review and we didn't want to read about it again. The recipes looked good but we never did them. I think this would be good for younger kids who need an overview of ancient empires for a light history. As a supplement it was just more of the same and not worth our time. Luckily I got it for free....

I was trying to find my posts from the "what we have planned for this year" threads (whatever they were called) to remember what I even started out doing. I'm sure there was two of them but I can't find either. Oh well, going from my foggy memory alone...

My awesome ideas that turned out to be misses for this year have included:

Heart of Dakota's Beyond Little Hearts (served as a great short term solution but I needed a long term one)

Life of Fred Elementary (was awesome for DS until Dogs and then we just started parting ways but it had nothing to do with the dogs)

Living Books Curriculum Foundation Year (it wasn't the curriculum, it was me)

Song School Latin (didn't fit with my goals)

Hits so far have been:

Miquon (I'm just throwing my lot in with Miquon for early elementary math from here on out)

The Verbal Math Lesson (the most awesome supplement, especially to complement Miquon)

Classical Writing Aesop (I shouldn't have been intimidated by this being intended for older children - sans-workbook it's a perfect fit for DS and for my teaching style)

Prima Latina (fit)

Personalized spelling for DS (sometimes you've just got to decide that you know your child and then plug your ears to dissenters - something I'm getting better at this year :D)

Plenty of other things still on trial. :001_smile:

Well I'm 4 months into the year so I definitely do:

Hits:

Horizons Math

Abeka Grammar

WWE

Spectrum Writing 6

Misses:

Queen's LL

Evan Moore 6 Trait Writing

In general most of what I bought from Timberdoodle was a miss. Lately their books seem more expensive, more consumable, and not very academic.

The biggest hit of the year is WWE.

Our big hits so far are

Evan Moore Geography Daily Worksheets

Any and all logic work

Times Tales

WWE2

Not so much a miss as just not as interesting as last year's history is CTT history. Today was fun (we had a Lego battle), but we're looking forward to something with more hands on fun later this year.

Logic of English is my biggest hit--dd(12), who is dyslexic, correctly spelled thoughtful the other day. I think I actually heard angels singing!

I also continue to love MOH II & God's Design science and new this year is Ellen McHenry's Elements & Mapping the World With Art.

Edited by Paintedlady

Hits-LOF Pre-Algebra/Key To Algebra combo, National Mythology and Exploratory Latin Exam study groups at our house (not a curriculum, but DD is really into preparing for them), Draw and Write through History

Ok-Science Explorer Earth Science

Misses-About half of the SL Core 6 literature books. DD is enjoying re-reading Story of the World and non-fiction sources, but isn't really into many of the fictionalized biographies that seem to predominate Core 6.

Miss

Prima Latina-I have decided to do it orally and will switch to something else

Hits

Heart of Dakota Preparing(I tweak it a little)

Essentials in Writing-my dc said it is now their favorite subject

Daily Grams

Maps, Charts, and Graphs-they like it, gets the job done

Apologia Swimming Creatures (surprisingly)

HWOT cursive

Hits:

The Master Classics - short daily readings in real literature across different genres, from poetry to travel writing to letters. Middle Girl's favorite part of the day now.

TOPS Science. She loves, loves, loves the concept-through-doing approach, and every time we finish a unit, she wants to spend a few days doing further reading in the topic.

Galore Park Junior English. Every day I bless Laura Corin for telling me about GP.

Misses:

Rosetta Stone French. Too much too fast.

Hey, Andrew! Greek, Book 5. At this point, just gives difficult new grammar with instructions to memorize it, with no assistance in doing so (e.g. games, ways to think about the words). Unrelieved drudgery. Dh is switching to Athenaze.

Biggest Hits:

McHenry's Mapping the World by Art

Exploration Education Intermediate level science

Draw Write Now

My 4 year old is loving Get Ready for the Code, etc...

Misses:

Nothing has been a complete dud so far. I'm not sure if I will continue with WWE next year though as I'm not loving it (2nd year into it). My oldest didn't use it but is doing well with WWS this year.

So far we are loving nearly everything we have been using this year.

Big Hit is Bravewriter/Arrow/JotItDown coupled with WWE. We are loving loving loving language arts time.

Still using SequentialSpelling and still a big hit and well loved.

Saxon 5/4 hasn't been as terrible as I assumed.

My Kinder loves Singapore K math.

We have been diligently working with ArtisticPursuits, DWC and Harmony Fine Arts. Those are going to be my art trinity from now on!!!

My tot workbox shelf system has been a big hit for my 2 year old.

We haven't had any outright misses, but we do still feel ho hum about our science. We are still looking for that magical combination of curricula. We also aren't feeling geography this year, but that's my fault. I need to be more proactive and on top of it to make it work.

SOTW is still my oldest ds's big miss. :lol: He does not like history, but I persevere!!! He wouldn't like it in any form, so it's likely not the books.

OPGTR has been a dud. My Kinder does not like that book, so I have had to fine creative ways of presenting those lessons without him realizing it had anything to do with that book. :tongue_smilie: He loves ETC though.

We are finishing up Week 10 here.

dd5

hits:

LoE Foundations- loving this so far.

HWoT- She absolutely loves this although I've put it away a bit since start Foundations as we are working on cursive.

misses:

MP First Start Reading. I did not like the organization of this and thought it went to fast with too little explicit phonics.

I See Sam- I loved this for ds and dd liked it ok but I was really wanting very explicit phonogram work with work on phonemic awareness and this doesn't fit the bill.

too soon to tell:

RSA- we started this late and haven't done many lessons yet. I started ds with RSB so this is a new one for me. Dd seems to enjoy it when we do it though.

for ds8-

hits

Beast Academy- this has supplanted RS as his cool math now, he loves it!

WWE2- We continue to enjoy WWE and it seems to suite him well, he doesn't love it, but it is just the right about of challenge for him and I can see his skills improving.

Spelling Plus- After flopping between AAS and then HTTS we are doing this now and we are both really enjoying it so far. I love the leveled dictation, it really makes it easy for me. I like the spelling lists on levels as well as I can gauge better exactly what he knows and doesn't and target it better. I was having a horrid time gauging that before and we kept on going over things he knew, I'm finally getting just about the right amount of challenge for him.

Draw, Write, Now- We don't do this everyday but about once a week. Ds really enjoys the drawing and doesn't mind some of the related copywork.

We just started work with the St. Joseph First Communion catechism with ds and this is going smoothly and easily but it is not so much a program though. We are enjoying the rest of mama religion as well- which is just Bible, Saint and Catechism readings with discussions over b-fast.

misses-

maybe RSD- I don't know if we really don't like it anymore or it is just not cool in relation to BA.

MP Copywork- I just decided we were doing enough other writing and it just seemed like busywork in relation to our Copywork/Dictation in WWE2 and our Dictation in Spelling.

HTTS- The layout wasn't working for my brain. This may be pulled out at a later time but for now it is shelved.

Edited by soror

According to Pigby, hits are LOF Apples and Butterflies and Artistic Pursuits (the first book). He says he also likes AAS 2.

For me, I'll have to call the whole thing a win. He does it all w/o much fuss. The biggest problem is the amount of time we have to work with. We can only do school during Chuck's nap and trying to cram everything in really quickly doesn't work so well. So we kind of alternate which subjects we do every day. I think overall, it's going pretty well.

Most of what I'm using is stuff we've just continued with (aka prior hits :D).

The new stuff we love...

Our daily writer's workshop with IEW and No More "I'm Done!" (plus the veritable Kitchen Sink of supplements :lol:). I bought TWSS & SWI-A and my kids love Pudewa. I love that I really can take the units and apply across the curriculum, which is just how I like doing writing. This takes us up a notch from what we were doing with WWE and will be a great bridge to use between WWE and WWS...or forever. We'll see. :tongue_smilie:

Ideas from Awakening the Heart (for poetry) are being added. We are also upping our poetry memory work and incorporating Waldorf style poetry books.

Teaching the Classics. I've owned this for a while. It works much better when you actually use it. :lol: We're doing a fun Family Book Club, using TTC and making a Character Collage for the year. We each pick our favorite character from the books we read, illustrate them on pre-cut paper doll shapes, and put them all together in a collage.

Doing history as a family. (We are continuing with the same resources but doing it as a family is awesome! We do art/projects, notebooking, mapwork/timelines, picture book read-alouds, etc. in the mornings but spine reading and documentaries are done in the evening with Dad.)

Inquiry Science is expanding to incorporate more tinkering/Maker activities.

Swim Team!

Art Lab for Kids has been fun too, especially for DD. DH put our IKEA book rails up in our long hallway and it has become the kids' art gallery.

You amaze me. I long to have your capability to take a vision and flesh it out. I am hopeless.....

Way to go! Your homeschool sounds awesome. :001_smile:

6th grader

MOH 1--we are loving notebooking!

MUS ---finally no more tears with math. My son actually does this first thing every morning. There has been such a total change in his attitude, that I'm no longer even supplementing. We will just work through one book at a time.

Apologia Zoology-We are really enjoying this! Easie Peasie...read, narrate, do experiment, fun!

Easy Grammar--no brainer for us! It gets the job done!

Spelling Power from Curriculum Associates--loving this spelling workbook! It gets done!

Studying God's Word Book E-We are loving this! It coincides perfectly with our history study...

IEW--wonderful! Need I say more...another one of those subjects that gets done with no tears and with lots of results!

We couldn't be happier with our choices! We feel so set free that our next year will probably look almost exactly the same as this year, just the next level up!

12th grader

Really enjoying Easy Grammar Ultimate 12

loving Advanced Communications

loving MUS Pre-Calculus

loving Thinking Like a Christian

We are just having a really great homeschooling year so far, and if you know me and all that we have been through in the past, this is a gift from God! :lol:

I've changed things up in the past couple of weeks so it's kind of new:

so far the new things are a hit: Miquon, LOF, Simple Schooling Science, Letter Links

misses: Math mammoth 1 - way too much drill work - bored my son to tears. I use the problems to work with Miquon but that is about it at this point. Probably will come in more useful when my son is more inclined to do worksheets.

Hits - 5th Grrade

*RightStart E (love this!)

*LoE (cruising through looking for gaps)

*Singapore CWP 4

*IEW SWI-A

*From Sea to Shining Sea by Catholic Textbook Project

*Daily Assignment Sheet

Hits - 3rd Grade

*RightStart D

*Singapore CWP 3

*WWE 2

*Dictation Day by Day

*Piano

Hits - Kindergarten

*RightStart A

*Reading Made Easy

Hits - Everyone

*Literature picture books, independent, and aloud (I have prioritized this so we get to it every day)

*My littlest is almost 2yo and I'm not pregnant! This is our sweet spot since we've only been in this position one other time (and it didn't last very long) since I started homeschooling. :)

Misses

*Elemental Biology - I don't think it's the right format for me.

*Faith & Life - I just can't get through them this year.

*Piano (5th grade)

Edited by 2squared

I have never changed so much in the past. I think we are finally settled.

Started by purchasing MFW Exp-1850 and just couldn't get excited about it, so sold it and bought TruthQuest. But, it wasn't getting done nor was combining the kids working anymore. Now we are happily settled with BF Early American and Geography for the younger two. My oldest is doing Notgrass America the Beautiful and BF Early American & World all spread over two years.

We started the year by continuing with TT, but everyone revolted after using it for a year or two. They asked for Horizons, and I am very pleased with the switch. We were adding LOF, but it just doesn't seem to get done. My kids don't seem to learn from it, so it just seems like extra work.

My oldest started the year with The Rainbow for science and hated it. He researched curricula himself and chose Apologia General. It is going much smoother. My younger two asked for Apologia Swimming Creatures. I was not thrilled, but it is actually going well.

I bought Write Shop to use with oldest this year, but knew it would be too teacher intensive. EIW has been our fix, and I love it. He also started the year with the grammar workbook that MFW recommends for 7th (can't remember the name), Dictation Day by Day for spelling, and a plan to do a couple of Progeny Press guides through the year. I dropped the grammar book and Dictation DbyD for LLATL (crossing out anything he has mastered), which also takes care of literary analysis for this year. I do plan to add in some Teaching the Classics when I get to it. My younger two were doing EIW, but I have dropped it for LLATL for now and will add some of the EIW stuff in later in the year. I like EIW for the oldest, but want a more natural approach at the younger level.

Complete HITS that have not changed:

Apples and Pears spelling for the younger crew

Family read alouds

lots of good books

Rummy Roots

The only real miss here was "Climbing to Good English", I swapped it out for FLL3 for one son and ALL/Winston Grammar for the other and we are all much happier.

IEW wasn't working for my one daughter (but is working for my sons) so I switched her over to WWS. I am loving PHP!

ETA: HITS -

Teaching Textbooks, all my kids like it and don't complain about math.

MOH on audio, even my VSL prefers listening to reading if she is doing something else while listening

Winston Grammar and FLL3

Apologia Elementary

everything else is working with little problems. My dd who hates school says this is the best year ever. I have to agree.

Edited by kayinpa
typo

Hits so far:

MCT Island

CLE Math

Minimus Latin

Piano

Misses:

AAS - I had to switch back to A&P because DD just wasn't retaining and applying the rules for spelling, even during the spelling lesson

Math Mammoth - I love the way it teaches, but DD doesn't retain the information in mastery programs. I need something that includes review or it just doesn't get done.

Jury still out:

Getting Started with Latin - I like the method, but Ariel hates the book.

Other stuff hasn't been used long enough to tell, we just started almost everything else this week.

Biggest hit: Phonics Pathways :001_wub:

Always a hit:

Singapore Math - Primary and Essential Math

Explode the Code

New hits:

Winning With Writing

MCT Island

Geography workbooks (Complete Book of Maps and Geography, EM Daily Geography and EM Beginning Geography)

Story of the World

Misses:

SOTW Activity Guide

Homeschool science class -dropped this last week

Everything is a hit here minus one item...

All About Reading Level 1

We used AAR Pre-level last year, but level 1 has moved at too fast a pace for my son. Also the amount of reading required for just one lesson is staggering. We will be selling this. I believe I have found a good fit with Reading Made Easy.

My epic fail for this yr is Picturesque Tales of Progress series. I really wanted to use this w/my 5th grader. She likes it, but she can't manage it on her own and I cannot stand the way it is written for reading aloud. I didn't even notice it when I was reading it silently when I was trying to decide to use it or not, but after spending the first several weeks w/ a headache every day after reading it, I decided to dump it. (I'm still not quite happy w/anything I have come up w/since then, but next week is my week off for planning, so I am going to sit down and get back to the drawing board.)

Hits: 1. Memoria Press K program. Love every part of it.

2. MP lit guides for all the grades. Easily done independently with good discussion.

3. Prof B blended with ACE math PACE's. Finally found what works.

4. ACE Word Building after 6 months of trying to make AAS work. Now, thankfully, I hardly have to think about spelling at all. Just give a test every couple of weeks, and great spelling. Whew.

5. Apologia Astronomy. The boys are loving their space studies.

6. Extra reading from HOD. Her book choices are well loved here.

Verdict still out: Ray's Arithmetic for mental math work. I think this is going to be good, but haven't been able to work with it much yet. Also, I'm trying the HOD preschool program, and there's something about it that I just don't love. I'm not sure what it is yet.

Misses: 1. RS for the second time. I was trying to be really open minded but RS and I just have no future together beyond the AL Abacus. Prof B was a much better fit for us.

Kindergarten hits and misses:

Misses:

OPGTR was a bust. Ds needed more instruction and more time.

Hits:

AAR: major hit! Just finished pre level and level one should be here soon.

Handwritg without tears

Right start math

2nd grade hits/ misses

Misses:

Sonlight. Just wasn't what I wanted it to be.

Hits:

Pretty much everything else, but especially Biblioplan. I am just surprised at how much we love it!

Dd says her favorite thing is ZB cursive. Strange girl! :tongue_smilie:

Our only "misses" are RS4K Biology and IEW. MCT isn't quite what I hoped it would be, but Caesar's English is fantastic.

Math in general is a huge hit - AoPS Pre-algebra, Math Mammoth, Singapore CWP and Jacobs Algebra are all going great. We're also really enjoying K12 Human Odyssey and Lightning Literature.