Menu

If you DID NOT let your dd read Nancy Drew, please share why...

I'm thinking along the lines of girl/boy relationships, dating, etc. I did not read these books as a young girl, so now that my dd wants to start reading them, I'm looking for details. I know they are probably very innocent, but we are picky. I have heard that the Nancy Drew books have more dating/boyfriend situations than the Hardy Boys books have girlfriends/dating situations. Again, I'm sure it's very innocent compared to today, but I still don't want to invite "boy craziness" into dd9's life yet. :)

Because in every book she has a birthday and gets a new car?

Not the books I read and I have ead over half of them.

She has a long-term boyfriend who is at college. I don't recall much beyond a kiss. I definitely don't recall her being "boy crazy." I like to pick one up every now and then as an adult for a very light quick read. I can finish one in a few hours. I read the first 6-7 as a fifth grader I think. I got bored with the formula of the books and did.not read one for a few years. I will let my DD read them when.she is older.....and knows how to read ;)

Not the books I read and I have ead over half of them.

She has a long-term boyfriend who is at college. I don't recall much beyond a kiss. I definitely don't recall her being "boy crazy." I like to pick one up every now and then as an adult for a very light quick read. I can finish one in a few hours. I read the first 6-7 as a fifth grader I think. I got bored with the formula of the books and did.not read one for a few years. I will let my DD read them when.she is older.....and knows how to read ;)

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I don't know if the newer books are different, but if you get the older ones, then you should be fine.

Keep in mind that there are multiple versions of the books so it's likely that different generations of people here will have read somewhat different books. From the time they were published, the publisher began "updating" them every few years for each reprint. Sometimes just to update the feel, the technology, etc. But she also went from being more intrepid girl detective looking out for herself in earlier printings, to girl wearing pretty clothes and needing more rescuing in later printings. The original versions were rereleased awhile ago as well, so there are now multiple versions floating around.

I've never personally been a fan, but I've read a number of articles about the changes over the years I find that really fascinating.

Nancy and Ned's relationship is very innocent. She is 18 and certainly old enough for a serious boyfriend...Ned is in college.

I read them as a kid, and my dd started reading them in second grade. I recommend the old yellow spine books from the fifties through the seventies. Nothing more than the occasional hand-holding, hug or maybe even a kiss. But those would be few and far between if they did occur. And honestly, I just don't remember any.

Very innocent books...no worries.

The way I remember the ones I read as a girl (definitely the original versions since I am on the older side of the age range here!), Nancy had her boyfriend, but was definitely not boy-crazy. There might have been a kiss or two, but it was a *quick* kiss - not a make-out session. In fact, she was usually breaking a date with him to go detect things!

When my kids were in the pre-teen years, there were a couple of Nancy Drews on the shelf, but I never pushed them - they're fun, but certainly very formulaic and not great literature. As a previous poster said, there's plenty of other literature to get through - no need to waste time on the second-rate stuff!

Anne

Nancy Drew is some of the most innocent literature I read as a kid. Yes, she is rich and her dad spoils her, but she is extremely grateful and giving to a fault. She has a very innocent, long-term relationship (doesn't she get engaged to him at some point?), and friends who are in similar situations. I never remember anything beyond kiss on the cheek actually, though I could be mistaken. Her dad is a caring and intelligent man and she respects him deeply. Her fiance is similar - chivalrous, intelligent and kind.

She's smart, caring, respectful, resourceful, a fierce and loyal friend, humble...I really can't think of any negative attributes. I would LOVE my daughter to read about and look up to someone like her.

Obviously I am *not* someone who would not let their child read the books, and I'm sorry for jumping in the thread. They are extremely formulaic and not great literature by any means, but the ONLY thing that anyone could maybe find objectionable about them is that she dates (one guy) and is allowed to be alone in his company. If you do let her read them, I also recommend the yellow spines. They're usually ALL OVER secondhand bookstores.

Edited by Sk8ermaiden

IIRC, it wasn't the boy-girl stuff that irritated me, but more the lack of respect for her parents and other authorities. Her father was portrayed as distracted, often absent, just someone to find a way to get around. The local law enforcement authorities were usually portrayed as bumbling jerks who constantly jumped to incorrect conclusions and incarcerated the wrong suspects. Adults in general were portrayed as not very bright, and certainly not worthy of any respect.

Those were not attitudes that I wanted swirling around in my dd's head. After her thoughts and opinions were a bit more formed, I did let her read some Nancy Drew. She told me that she liked the mystery and suspense, but though Nancy was kind of an idiot. I think she got bored after about one and half of the books.

because there were so many better, more excellent, books to read, we just didn't have the time? We barely have time for the excellent ones, let alone the mediocre.

Like what?

(Not being snarky, I'm just curious what books are on the list of must reads for girls. I grew up reading the Babysitter's club and Nancy Drew and I loved them, and I honestly didn't know there were books for kids that were considered excellent. :) )

IIRC, it wasn't the boy-girl stuff that irritated me, but more the lack of respect for her parents and other authorities. Her father was portrayed as distracted, often absent, just someone to find a way to get around. The local law enforcement authorities were usually portrayed as bumbling jerks who constantly jumped to incorrect conclusions and incarcerated the wrong suspects. Adults in general were portrayed as not very bright, and certainly not worthy of any respect.

Those were not attitudes that I wanted swirling around in my dd's head. After her thoughts and opinions were a bit more formed, I did let her read some Nancy Drew. She told me that she liked the mystery and suspense, but though Nancy was kind of an idiot. I think she got bored after about one and half of the books.

I read some Nancy Drew, but my favorite by far were the Hardy Boys. Those books had more edge and adventure. And then, when the TV show came on, I could dream about Shaun and Parker as I read the books.... LOL.

Nancy and Ned's relationship is very innocent. She is 18 and certainly old enough for a serious boyfriend...Ned is in college.

I read them as a kid, and my dd started reading them in second grade. I recommend the old yellow spine books from the fifties through the seventies. Nothing more than the occasional hand-holding, hug or maybe even a kiss. But those would be few and far between if they did occur. And honestly, I just don't remember any.

Very innocent books...no worries.

:iagree:

Some libraries also have the first 10 or so as reprinted first editions. Hardy boys too. They are thicker with white covers. They are so much better. I was a book collector as a child so I had many of the originals (brown covers) for dd. I collected Cherry Ames and Trixie Belden too! The yellow covers are fine. The technology has been updated a bit generally.

because there were so many better, more excellent, books to read, we just didn't have the time? We barely have time for the excellent ones, let alone the mediocre.

There are a lot of better written books, but it's also nice to have light, less challenging books for those people interested in mysteries. The original ones are very tame and a lot better than many of the newer series available now.

Especially for children who love to read and read a lot, finding quality books can sometimes be difficult.

Some libraries also have the first 10 or so as reprinted first editions. Hardy boys too. They are thicker with white covers. They are so much better. I was a book collector as a child so I had many of the originals (brown covers) for dd. I collected Cherry Ames and Trixie Belden too! The yellow covers are fine. The technology has been updated a bit generally.

Wow! You must be OLD! :D I always thought that the yellow covers were the originals for Nancy Drew (blue for Hardy Boys).

Loved Trixie Belden! She and Jim had the hots for each other though. :lol: I always loved her brother Brian. Wanted to marry him for awhile if I recall. :D

I wanted to marry Brian, too. There was a lot of dating in Trixie Belden, now that I think about it. I remember being sad when I finished the last Trixie Belden book. I would never find out how their lives turned out. What happened to Crabapple Farm? Did Jim and Trixie get married? Did Brian become a doctor? What happened to Di Lynch? And Danny? Oh, I think I will have to re-read them all with my dd.

Wow! You must be OLD! :D I always thought that the yellow covers were the originals for Nancy Drew (blue for Hardy Boys).

I am 48 but my mom is 90. She helped me track down the ones she had read--lots of antique bookstores. Then we saved them all hoping that I would have a little girl someday!

Like what?

(Not being snarky, I'm just curious what books are on the list of must reads for girls. I grew up reading the Babysitter's club and Nancy Drew and I loved them, and I honestly didn't know there were books for kids that were considered excellent. :) )

4/5/6th grade?

Chronicles of Narnia

E.Nesbit (The Railway Children, 5 Children and It)

Louisa May Alcott (More than Little Women)

LM Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables)

Girl of the Limberlost (Stratton-Porter)

Harry Potter

Madeline L'Engle (A Wrinkle in Time set)

Lloyd Alexander (Prydian Chronicles)

Swallows and Amazons (Arthur Ransome)

Elizabeth Enright (the Saturdays)

Eleanor Estes (the Moffats)

Ursula Le Guin (Earthsea)

Edward Eager

Tolkien (depending on the age)

Robin McKinley

Rosemary Sutcliff's Sword at Sunset (Arthurian)

Edited by justamouse

I wanted to marry Brian, too. There was a lot of dating in Trixie Belden, now that I think about it. I remember being sad when I finished the last Trixie Belden book. I would never find out how their lives turned out. What happened to Crabapple Farm? Did Jim and Trixie get married? Did Brian become a doctor? What happened to Di Lynch? And Danny? Oh, I think I will have to re-read them all with my dd.

I was all about Jim, LOL. But I do love that the boy/girl thing was NEVER stressed...the most they said was they were "special friends" and there was never any kissing/hand holding/etc...so I think they are suitable for even the most conservative of readers. Well...the girls do wear pants around the house, although skirts to school, lol.

I have several of them, and even tried to get my son to read them, poor boy. So glad I had a daughter I can save them for!

Oh, and in in elementary school I read the whole series 3 times in one year. I was a bookworm, and was given a special library pass that got me into the library before school house so I could check one out.I would read it until school started, in class (oops!), and at lunch, then after lunch could use my special pass to take it back and get another one, that I would read that night. So I was reading two a day!

I agree with this. Also, as a kid I found her lifestyle totally unbelievable...she was on a different jet every other day it seemed, with no concern for money. That was the big reason I preferred Trixie Belden books....much more realistic to my own lifestyle. Family that set boundaries and struggles with schoolwork, having to watch her baby brother, etc etc.

But isn't that the basic premise of all children's adventure literature? If the adults were all perfect and were getting everything done, there's be nothing left for the young people to do. It's hard to think of ANY kids or teen books where the parents aren't conveniently disposed of in one way or another... it would be a pretty boring story if the police solved all the cases in a competent and efficient manner. :lol:

Keep in mind that there are multiple versions of the books so it's likely that different generations of people here will have read somewhat different books. From the time they were published, the publisher began "updating" them every few years for each reprint. Sometimes just to update the feel, the technology, etc. But she also went from being more intrepid girl detective looking out for herself in earlier printings, to girl wearing pretty clothes and needing more rescuing in later printings. The original versions were rereleased awhile ago as well, so there are now multiple versions floating around.

I've never personally been a fan, but I've read a number of articles about the changes over the years I find that really fascinating.

I agree. I was a nanny in the early 90's and the kids were inhaling Nancy Drew. I sat down one day to read one. . . .it was NOT the ND I read as a kid.

I always wanted a roadster :D

I used to take my allowance money to the Bizzy Bee (middle NJ, mid-late 70s) to buy Trixie Belden books, 95 cents plus 5 cents tax :)

Anyone read the Happy Hollisters?

I have my mom's Cherry Ames collection, the ones written published immediately post-WW2. The bindings and paper weight are so different from the other ones I've found.

I always wanted a roadster :D

I used to take my allowance money to the Bizzy Bee (middle NJ, mid-late 70s) to buy Trixie Belden books, 95 cents plus 5 cents tax :)

Anyone read the Happy Hollisters?

I have my mom's Cherry Ames collection, the ones written published immediately post-WW2. The bindings and paper weight are so different from the other ones I've found.

OH yes, loved the Happy Hollisters! I read them and the Bobbsey Twins before getting into Trixie Belden. And LOVED the Cherry Ames books as well, although never found more than a few of them to read.

OH yes, loved the Happy Hollisters! I read them and the Bobbsey Twins before getting into Trixie Belden. And LOVED the Cherry Ames books as well, although never found more than a few of them to read.

The Happy Hollisters have been reprinted. My dd has been getting them from the library. (And yes, I stole them and had a trip down memory lane.)

Not my opinion at all. I read them as a child and again as an adult. I read the older versions. Her father is a lawyer, he is loving, supportive and gives Nancy her freedom. She does not "get around" him but usually acts with his blessing. The other adults in the book (except the bad guys) are given assistance and respect. Of course the bad guys are all idiots...that is to be expected. I loved the books, let my DD read my older versions. Not interested in any updated versions.

Loved Trixie Belden! She and Jim had the hots for each other though. :lol: I always loved her brother Brian. Wanted to marry him for awhile if I recall. :D

Either I was rather obtuse or it was so veiled that it took me a while to figure this out (Jim & Trixie) even though it was gently hinted in the second book (or was it the third) when Trixie and her friend take off in the RV looking for Jim who had just escaped his mean stepfather. :001_smile:

How far does the series go? Does anyone know what the very last book is?

Not my opinion at all. I read them as a child and again as an adult. I read the older versions. Her father is a lawyer, he is loving, supportive and gives Nancy her freedom. She does not "get around" him but usually acts with his blessing. The other adults in the book (except the bad guys) are given assistance and respect. Of course the bad guys are all idiots...that is to be expected. I loved the books, let my DD read my older versions. Not interested in any updated versions.

Dd read them in 3rd and 4th grade. She finally figured out that they were basically the same plot, over and over, but there was no harm in letting her realize that on her own.

She liked Cherry Ames and Trixie Belden, too. While her other friends were reading Captain Underpants and Goosebumps, she was "suckin' in the wholesome." :lol: Fine by me.

My DD10 loves the ND books. She's reading the old ones. THese-

http://www.amazon.com/Nancy-Drew-Mystery-Stories-Staircase/dp/044809570X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346725512&sr=8-1&keywords=nancy+drew+mystery+stories

She has been working on finding the entire collection from yard sales or trading at the used book store. She is like her mama that she likes all the matching complete sets on the bookshelf. :)

I asked her and she said the only boyfriend/girlfriend stuff is a kiss on the cheek.

We can check out most of them for free on the kindle from our library.

I was completely unguided when it came to reading material, and the Nancy Drew series was in my school's small library. I read them all, many of them multiple times, probably around 4th/5th grade, in the late 1970s.

I'd love dd to have an easy series to fly through just for fun - around what years were the yellow-spine books published? Should I just search for anything prior to 1980?

I know there are better books out there, but the conversations dds and I have had about Nancy Drew, Bobbsey Twins, and even Ramona have been just as great as the ones about Anne Shirley and Little Women.

Some of the conversations went deeper, but they were all books from my childhood that my dds are able to enjoy today. My girls thought it was pretty cool that mom liked these same fun books. :D

Sure, sure, there are *better things out there*, but let me just reassure you...I read every Nancy Drew I could get my hands on and probably own 50+ of the hardback, yellow spines from the 70's. It did not ruin me. LOL! I was not boy crazy at all and I have read Anna Karenina TWICE. ;)

Happy Hollisters are fun, however; the dialouge is stunted/stilted. My boys tired of them after only a few books.

But... but... there's an excerpt from the Happy Hollisters in Writing With Ease! That must mean they're classical! ;)

We have nearly all the HH books and my children love them, maybe because the family is a lot like ours (except that we rarely have mysteries to solve, so our bunch has to invent their own :)). I find the stories to be just right for early readers. They're wholesome, with an emphasis on traditional "all-American" values (community, fair play, honesty, welcoming strangers, helping people in need), and the parents are much more involved in their children's lives than in some other books. The author based the characters on his own six children, and some of the little incidental pictures of family life ring true to us. Although I'll never live up to the standard set by the unflappable Mrs. Hollister.

Pete: "Holly and Ricky found the kidnapped heiress at the abandoned mine!"

Mrs. H.: "I'm glad I brought those extra frankfurters. She must be hungry."

:D

I think Carson Drew had an easier job, spending most of his time at his law office, and stopping by the convertible dealership every now and then to buy Nancy a new set of wheels.

Sure, sure, there are *better things out there*, but let me just reassure you...I read every Nancy Drew I could get my hands on and probably own 50+ of the hardback, yellow spines from the 70's. It did not ruin me. LOL! I was not boy crazy at all and I have read Anna Karenina TWICE. ;)

Yeah, that list of literature for kids is a really good list! But it would have lasted me about one summer month. Some of us have a voracious enough appetite for books to devour literature and fluff! I read the yellow spine ones in the summers. Love them! To this day I collect antique ones.