• 30 or greater
    • 28-29
    • 26-27
    • 24-25
    • 22-23
    • 20-21
    • 18-19
    • less than 18

I do agree with some of you that the BMI calculation in muscular people will be skewed. It will show them having more fat than they do. I really don't understand the skinny fat comments. BMI is estimating the composition of body fat. If your BMI is under 18 then it indicates that you have low body fat. You still need exercise and may want to be more toned, but you are not in danger from carrying too much fat. Ab fat is really dangerous as it can lead to stroke and heart problems. I think there are many facets when it comes to health. BMI is an important piece, but certainly not the whole picture.

Skinny fat is usually more used for people who are in the normal range for BMI but still carrying excess fat, not people who are underweight.

5'3" 128 -130 lbs BMI 23 but I lift really heavy weights so I'm actually healthier in my muscle/fat distribution. I tend to hold a few pounds of water weight after heavy workouts so my weight fluctuates by a few pounds daily

When I didn't lift heavy my weight stayed around 120-122 and ran all the time. Which with the BMI calculator that would be consider my optimal weight range.

I think BMI is a joke. It doesn't take into account muscle mass or body type.

I'm at 19, which is supposedly almost underweight, but I think I look pretty normal. The poster who was calculated as obese at 5'4" and 125 is a perfect example of why BMI is messed up, lol.

Did I miss something? If you put 5'4" and 125 in the BMI calculator, you get 21.5, which is a healthy BMI.

Fwiw though BMI isn't the most reliable indicator of fatness.
So true! My BMI is less than 20 (5ft11", 139lb) but I can assure you I am WAY overfat! Meaning my belly looks like I'm at least 5mo pg and things jiggle way too much pretty much everywhere. One of these days I'll remedy that...maybe.

I just squeak in at a bit under 25, which puts me at the top end of the "healthy" weight. Whew! I wear an 8 though and on a good day (a rare good day :glare:) I can fit into my 6's.

Body type makes such a difference in dress size! My BMI is 22.8, but my body type is hourglass and I wear a size 10.:001_huh: It's a good thing I don't mind my curves lol! ;) I'd like to lose another 5-10 lbs- but I'm actually more concerned with toning up.

It was pretty accurate for me-- 18.1 and underweight (I'm 5"1 and about 99lbs last time I had my check up.) I've always been small boned and tiny so it's not like I'm skeletal looking or anything... I think I "carry" it well, so to speak. And I've tried; I've struggled with gaining weight my entire life, to the point where in college my doctor had me drinking an Ensure with every meal... did absolutely nothing. I guess this is just the way I'm supposed to be. But I feel good, so I guess that's what matters. I did love being pregnant though-- it was the only time in my life I've ever felt voluptuous!!

I'm starting to feel a little better about wanting to lose fat despite my very low BMI. Obviously I'm not the only 'skinny fat person' out there.

I think it's all useless. I would be considered underweight, a "healthy" weight range for my height (5'4") is 114-145. I'm at 113 and I can assure you I'm in no way underweight, I just have a small frame. I don't get how they figure these things out. I wish it was the standard to measure body fat % instead, that seams more accurate than weight.

I think it's all useless. I would be considered underweight, a "healthy" weight range for my height (5'4") is 114-145. I'm at 113 and I can assure you I'm in no way underweight, I just have a small frame. I don't get how they figure these things out. I wish it was the standard to measure body fat % instead, that seams more accurate than weight.

I wonder if it's because measuring body fat is so much harder to do. Taping, calipers, and electronic scales just aren't very accurate. Hmmm...they are probably more accurate than BMI, though. I liked doing the immersion tank even though I wasn't thrilled with my results. I liked that it was accurate and gave me a goal to work toward. I hope I get another chance to see my progress in the next 6 months or so.

I have an athletic build and a large, tall frame so I can't put a lot of stock in BMI. When my BMI was 24-25, my doctor was urging me to gain weight. No I am not a woman who claims to be large boned to rationalize extra weight. But I have size eleven feet, man hands (both my wrists and ring size exceed my husbands), and when my body composition was done, my lean body mass (bones and muscle basically) is on its own enough to just edge me to the overweight category to say nothing of having organs or a decent amount of body fat. I have a crazy ton of muscle on my legs, back and a decent amount on my arms. I have to remind myself not to get discouraged by BMI. I eat well and workout quite a bit. I can out run and outlift many a slender person. Fitness is what matters. I think BMI is off the mark for people who are either naturally very slim (I know a number of healthy people who are considered underweight by BMI) or either naturally or through athletics quite big and muscular. I have also wondered why it doesn't factor in gender. Most men are going to outweigh their same height female counterparts. My BIL is th same height as me, with a 34 inch waist, not a drop of excess fat on him, and he is considered morbidly obese by BMI. Makes no sense. He is barrel chested and has a muscular rather than a slender shape. He is not in the least bit fat.

Edited by kijipt

I've been spending my morning free-time reading her blog. I'm not sure to thank you for pointing me to a fun, new read, or curse you for luring me into yet another rabbit hole. Gah! I need to just subscribe on my reader and move on with life ... maybe after reading just a little bit more ....

:lol: Gail, she's really nice, funny, and full of wit. I've known her online for several years now. She homeschooled her kids who are now grown.

22.1 -- I love how I look. I know, I'm the only woman in America who does. (I must have been a man in all previous lives!) I can see where I need to lose 10 lbs., but at my age, the skin starts to sag if I get too lean, so, it's a real balancing act! Oh, and losing those 10 lbs. would get me to 20.4...but is saggy skin worth it? Not to me! Don't chance random numbers!

I always enjoy your posts and really love your outlook on this one. :grouphug: I wish I knew you IRL.

I agree about the sagging skin.

Read this and thought to share:

Catherine Deneuve has been credited with proclaiming that after a certain age, a woman needs to choose between her face and her behind — meaning that a lean body can result in a face that appears gaunt and haggard. Indeed, for women over 40, this is true.

Once you hit 40, you have to choose: your face or your figure. You can't have both.

I have a very plump face and it's the first place to gain weight and pretty much the last place to lose. Now that I'm older, I’m slowly learning to appreciate the fact that my face is plump and round.

I remember FIRST magazine had an article a while back comparing photos of famous people with the same exact age – one being very thin and the other of a more normal weight. The latter looked younger in every example. For example, Christie Brinkley and Cyndi McCain - Christie Brinkley looked MUCH younger. Cyndi McCain looked old. They also had Madonna and someone else and Madonna looked really old. She herself said that she made a conscious choice many years ago to choose figure over face. She knew about this. Well, it certainly showed.

A top dermatologist, Dr. Gerstner tells all her patients that the most important things they can do for their skin are:

• Wear sunscreen

• Avoid smoking

• Maintain a healthy body weight and avoid yo-yo dieting

She says, “A full, round face is youthful. Go back to your high school yearbook and look how full your cheeks were. A thin, gaunt face will make you look old.â€

Some dermatologists studied and photographed 186 sets of identical twins. They found:

• Under the age of 30 to 40, being overweight makes one look older. For these women, extra pounds can obscure youthful features like a smooth jawline and cause facial skin to sag.

• After the age of 30 to 40, being too thin and skinny is definitely aging. From here on out, a little additional weight is okay and may help you look younger. Additional weight fills in and softens wrinkles, making a heavier twin look younger than her sister.

I trust clothing size even less than I trust BMI. Vanity sizing is rampant in many clothing lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

What's called a size 4 today is probably closer to what an 8 was 50+ years ago.

Very true.

Catherine Deneuve has been credited with proclaiming that after a certain age, a woman needs to choose between her face and her behind — meaning that a lean body can result in a face that appears gaunt and haggard. Indeed, for women over 40, this is true.

Once you hit 40, you have to choose: your face or your figure. You can't have both.

I used to read a blog by an ex-pat living in France, and she was fond of pointing this out. Thank you for reminding me. I love the way my face looks right now; my hips and stomach, not so much.

:lol: Gail, she's really nice, funny, and full of wit. I've known her online for several years now. She homeschooled her kids who are now grown.

I always enjoy your posts and really love your outlook on this one. :grouphug: I wish I knew you IRL.

I agree about the sagging skin.

Read this and thought to share:

I have a very plump face and it's the first place to gain weight and pretty much the last place to lose. Now that I'm older, I’m slowly learning to appreciate the fact that my face is plump and round.

I remember FIRST magazine had an article a while back comparing photos of famous people with the same exact age – one being very thin and the other of a more normal weight. The latter looked younger in every example. For example, Christie Brinkley and Cyndi McCain - Christie Brinkley looked MUCH younger. Cyndi McCain looked old. They also had Madonna and someone else and Madonna looked really old. She herself said that she made a conscious choice many years ago to choose figure over face. She knew about this. Well, it certainly showed.

A top dermatologist, Dr. Gerstner tells all her patients that the most important things they can do for their skin are:

• Wear sunscreen

• Avoid smoking

• Maintain a healthy body weight and avoid yo-yo dieting

She says, “A full, round face is youthful. Go back to your high school yearbook and look how full your cheeks were. A thin, gaunt face will make you look old.â€

Some dermatologists studied and photographed 186 sets of identical twins. They found:

• Under the age of 30 to 40, being overweight makes one look older. For these women, extra pounds can obscure youthful features like a smooth jawline and cause facial skin to sag.

• After the age of 30 to 40, being too thin and skinny is definitely aging. From here on out, a little additional weight is okay and may help you look younger. Additional weight fills in and softens wrinkles, making a heavier twin look younger than her sister.

Very true.

Negin, I always enjoy your posts and this one has some great information! I'm choosing my behind! It's always had a mind of it's own anyway :D.

I never knew my BMI. The link puts me at 20.7 right now.

I have been fluctuating between 135-145 lbs, at 5'9", for the past twenty years. The last 10 years have definitely been on the heavier side and it is ALL in my hips and booty. I have always been self-conscious about it :glare:, but dh is a fan, so I try not to *constantly* wear tunics to cover it up ;).

The things that I've never liked about my face are serving me well, now that I'm in my forties. My face is full and used to be acne-prone. All those oily years have kept me fairly wrinkle-free.

I'm 6-feet tall. According to BMI, I'll only be in the normal range if I get down to 160. I've been 160 at this height. It wasn't good. It wasn't pretty. It was a self-destructive phase.

So, even though I've lost a very nice amount of weight and I feel like I look like one heck of a sassy, curvy gal, I'm still a great big fat-a$$ according to the BMI scale, at 28.5. :tongue_smilie:

May I suggest a beauty pageant next.

:lol::lol::lol:

With tiaras and bouquets?

I trust clothing size even less than I trust BMI. Vanity sizing is rampant in many clothing lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

What's called a size 4 today is probably closer to what an 8 was 50+ years ago.

SO true! I actually have my pants from when I was in my 20s, and a size 8. I still can't button them, despite all of my new jeans being a 'size 8'. :glare:

Edited by justamouse

22.1 -- I love how I look. I know, I'm the only woman in America who does. (I must have been a man in all previous lives!) I can see where I need to lose 10 lbs., but at my age, the skin starts to sag if I get too lean, so, it's a real balancing act! Oh, and losing those 10 lbs. would get me to 20.4...but is saggy skin worth it? Not to me! Don't chance random numbers!

I know! I am seriously considering keeping this last 10 pounds on because the sagging is just not all that attractive. :tongue_smilie:

SO true! I actually have my pants from when I was in my 20s, and a size 8. I still can't button them, despite all of my new jeans being a 'size 8'. :glare:

I was thinking about this just this morning as I slipped into my size 4s. I am not a traditional size 4 at all! I wore a 6 in college and was much thinner than I am now. I doubt I could get those jeans over my hips and thighs these days.

If only my fat knew it was supposed to fill in my wrinkles instead of settle in my neck and jowls. :lol:

I'm finally out of the obese category, but still overweight.

However, like others, I really don't want to start sagging and I look a little younger than my 40 years (on a good day.)

My doctor keeps bugging me though. The last time I tried to convince her that I'm just built this way, she flipped through the chart and reminded me I was a healthy 135 lbs when I first started seeing her.

I might need to change doctors!

Almost 2 years ago, my BMI was 44. I didn't know that, I used a calculator to figure it out just now lol. I just knew I was headed in a very bad direction. Anyway, I made a promise to myself that I would drop 100lbs. by my 40th birthday. Today, my BMI is just over 30 and I've lost 86 lbs. I'm thinking I may hit my goal. 14 pounds in 7 months should be a breeze. I will admit, I have some sagging going on and need some serious work on muscle tone but I'm healthier than I've ever been. I'll gladly accept the sag!

Negin, I always enjoy your posts

Thank you. :grouphug: I love your posts also!

I'm choosing my behind! It's always had a mind of it's own anyway :D.

:iagree: Your comment about it having a mind of its own made me smile. :D

My face is full and used to be acne-prone. All those oily years have kept me fairly wrinkle-free.

Me too. Not too many wrinkles yet and I'm 44. I have a very full face.

Seriously? You're going to let me kill this thread talking about my big BUTT and history of ZITS?

You guys are mean

:lol:

I'm glad it didn't get killed. :)

like one heck of a sassy, curvy gal, I'm still a great big fat-a$$ according to the BMI scale, at 28.5.

Sassy and curvy is great. BMI is rubbish. :glare:

If only my fat knew it was supposed to fill in my wrinkles instead of settle in my neck and jowls.

:lol: Yes, I have the same exact problem.

I might need to change doctors!

I would. I had one doctor tell me that I was extremely overweight and she wasn't looking too good either.

bmi-comparison.giffatvmuscle.jpg

Now, I've posted this before and am sharing it again. This is from stuff I've read in the past few years.

Much of the research linking excess weight and an increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, and cancer, among other chronic diseases, has been done on people who are obese, with a BMI of 30 or more. When the merely overweight folks are separated out, the health risks drop and sometimes even disappear.

Being overweight may not be associated with ANY risk of heart disease.

Although obese folks have a greater risk of dying from cancer or heart disease, those who are simply overweight have, surprisingly, no greater risk than normal-weight people. This was found from Britain’s Million Women Study.

Scientists from the Mayo Clinic were questioning the accuracy and usefulness of the BMI. Reviewing data from 40 studies involving 250,000 people with heart disease, they found that while severely obese patients had a higher risk of death, overweight people had fewer heart problems than those with a normal BMI.

Because muscle weighs more than fat, many physically fit people are mistakenly classified as "overweight", while they are actually less likely to die young than a "normal" weight individual whose excess weight is mostly fat.

BMI’s downfall is that it does not take into account body composition - whether or not excess weight is fat or muscle - which is why fit people often find themselves in the fat category of the BMI rating system.

The important thing to consider is how body fat is distributed around the body, as the real problems occur when fat accumulates in the central abdominal region.

Some physicians suggest that a waist circumference measurement is more informative, in that it is a direct measure of the part of the body that tends to accumulate fat. Having a waistband of more than 35 inches in women and 40 inches in men indicates the highest risk of cardiovascular and metabolic disease. There is an increased risk of the diseases for women with measurements of more than 32in and men whose measurement is over 37in.

Many of us have been programmed to worship a number on the scale, but waist circumference is more important than weight. A large waist can increase your risk of insulin resistance, the body’s inability to process sugars, which raises your risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Women should have no more than a 35-inch waist, and men should measure 40-inches or less. If your waist circumference is more than that, the advice is simple: Cut down on food intake, exercise more – or even better, do a combination of the two.

The more I have read and keep reading, the more I realize that waist measurement is KEY. My goal is to get my waist under 33" -- Everything I read leads me to believe that the most important factor for health is your waist size-- not an arbitrary number on a scale.

In my reading I have discovered that the fat around your mid-section actually acts as an organ--secreting hormones and disrupting your health. It adheres to your internal organs. It is not good. That is what I want gone.

I have come to the realization that weight and waist measurement are very closely related. I don't think I have ever been at an ideal weight and had a large waist, or vice versa, had a small waist and weighed a lot. I guess the two do go hand-in-hand ... Just different ways of measuring, I guess. I figure they're both important. I just read this from one of the links below: "As your weight changes, you can expect to lose about 1" from your waistline for each 6-8 lbs of weight loss."

http://www.collectivewizdom.com/NormalWaistSize.html

I'm 6-feet tall. According to BMI, I'll only be in the normal range if I get down to 160. I've been 160 at this height. It wasn't good. It wasn't pretty. It was a self-destructive phase.

So, even though I've lost a very nice amount of weight and I feel like I look like one heck of a sassy, curvy gal, I'm still a great big fat-a$$ according to the BMI scale, at 28.5. :tongue_smilie:

160 at your height would give you a BMI of 21.7.

Some physicians suggest that a waist circumference measurement is more informative, in that it is a direct measure of the part of the body that tends to accumulate fat. Having a waistband of more than 35 inches in women and 40 inches in men indicates the highest risk of cardiovascular and metabolic disease. There is an increased risk of the diseases for women with measurements of more than 32in and men whose measurement is over 37in.

I have heard about this too. Sadly, that's where much of my fat is, but it seems to go comparatively fast if I make an effort to lose weight. But I can only eat low-carb for so long before I get bored to death and stray, and that's the only way I can lose.

Mine is 24. I put my info into the site that another person posted where you have to enter measurements for your neck, waist and hips also.

Like someone else, that site said I was obese.:001_huh: I am 5'4" and weigh 140 right now, and wear a size 10. I know I could stand to lose a little, but that site said I need to lose 19 lbs. That would put me to 121, which I had gotten down to briefly and I was a size 4. So healthy needs to be a size 4? When I think of what it would take to get back down that low and stay there , it makes me want to cry.

Actually, staying there did not work out even with me on low carb.

I think I will concentrate on staying where I am and not gaining and perhaps just losing 5 or 10 pounds. I am happy and comfortable in the 130s.

I have come to the realization that weight and waist measurement are very closely related. I don't think I have ever been at an ideal weight and had a large waist, or vice versa, had a small waist and weighed a lot. I guess the two do go hand-in-hand ... Just different ways of measuring, I guess. I figure they're both important. I just read this from one of the links below: "As your weight changes, you can expect to lose about 1" from your waistline for each 6-8 lbs of weight loss."

http://www.collectivewizdom.com/NormalWaistSize.html

I have had an ideal weight and a large waist. My ribs, which are more barrel shaped, sit almost against my pelvis (1" difference).

At my lowest weight (10lb above minimum for height) I had a 30" waist. When measured for a bridesmaid's dress the woman called the rest of the staff in to see my size 6 chest, size 8 hips, and size 13 waist. :001_huh: Even at my thinnest, when my grandmother was asking me if I was anorexic, I'm build like a solid rectangle.

I think the truth is that there is no perfect way to measure everyone. People are simply too diverse. BMI is an imperfect tool that is used because there is no perfect tool.

I'm under 18. I'm incredibly thin. I'm between a size 0 and 2 when I'm not pregnant. That's one of the things that I just love about being pregnant -- I gain weight and my body just fills out nicely; unfortunately, it never lasts. The weight just melts away afterwards and I'm left super skinny again.

What I wouldn't give to be able to gain and maintain 15 pounds. :001_smile: