Menu

How did your dh propose to you?

I'll humor you. I'm pretty good at it. :tongue_smilie:

DH never proposed to me, it just sort of became a given that we would get married.

He also never asked me out, I asked him out first.

We also eloped, or actually I'm not sure if we can all it that since we got married in the house we were living in, not a whole lot of running away there. The judge came to us because the ac at the courthouse picked that special day to quit working.

So it was just us, two friends required as witnesses, the judge and two itty bitty kittens who kept leaping and attacking the judge's robe.

He (the judge) was pretty cool about it, and he was also cool about me being adamant that there was nothing in the vows about "obeying." :D:D

I'm pretty sure there has been a similar thread, but I couldn't find it. Do you mind humoring me?:D

We were at my parents home the night after Christmas - he had driven up to visit that day. We were sitting up by the fire that night. But I have no idea what words he used. That sort of makes me sad that I can't remember.

He took out an ad in the Washington Post, and called me from the lobby at work to read it out loud to him (it was basically an invitation to a special day, but I knew what it was all about). He had already coordinated with my boss for me to have the day off, so of course I didn't delay shutting everything down and running down the stairs!

He proposed that night over dinner at the Williamsburg Inn.

He asked me if I was going to be patient with him on this wedding thing since we had been talking about it. I said of course. He said, "Well, here then." And he handed me the ring. The ring that I accidently found looking for something in the trunk of my car while we were visiting my folks during a summer break from grad school. I never looked at the ring, I only found the box. I tried very hard to hang around him more after that. But he kept going off by himself! I was freaking out! Finally, I went in while he was sitting and reading. Then the above happened and he gave it to me. He was so nervous!

I did not tell him about my knowing of its existence for many years after we were married. I was sure he'd be ticked. And then I kind of forgot about it for a long time. One day it cam up and I fessed up. I am not known for keeping things in like that so he was surprised!

Dh actually proposed twice. When he proposed the first time, we had been dating six months - once a weekend since we lived far apart from eachother. He is somewhat shy and I felt that we didn't know eachother well enough.

After we had been dating another 9 months, we started looking at houses together because he wanted to buy a house closer to me. I kept waiting for him to ask since he was not a "move in together" kind of guy. Never found one we liked. A couple months later was Christmas. EVERYONE (except me) was expecting hime to give me a ring for Christmas.

On Christmas eve, in front of my entire family, he gave me a present in a small box. My usually loud family became silent. I knew it was not a ring - he would never be that public about it. There was an audible "awww" when it turned out to be a locket. My family was disappointed for me (but I wasn't). Apparently, his best friend told him that if he did that, what could he top it with the following Christmas?

On New Years Eve, dh kept procrastinating on going to this party with all his friends. Instead, we stopped by my older sister's house and played Trivial Pursuit with her and her then husband after they put the kids to bed. I was getting rather annoyed with him that we didn't go to this party. Eventually we left and went back to my parents house. I insisted that he stay in the guest bedroom rather than drive an hour home with all the crazies on the road.

So, in my parents' kitchen, at 1 AM, he said ...

"So, you wanna get married or what?" He didn't even have the ring with him! He had been carrying it around with him for a week waiting for the right moment and he forgot it that night!!! Of course, I said "Yes" and refrained from saying "It's about time!"

My now-dh was working in Bolivia with Food for the Hungry, and his time near a phone was sporadic, so he sent his proposal in a letter. I wish I had it nearby because he worded it in a very fun way. I wanted to include it on our wedding invitation (we had a fun, unique invitation -- I made ours back in the day before this was common!), but he felt it was too private a sentiment.

He stayed in Bolivia another 11 months, flying home on my birthday six weeks before our wedding. We went back to South America together for 14 months and brought home our "made in Bolivia" souvenir ... our first son, Will!

DH actually called my dad, and asked his blessing on our getting married!

DH got down on bended knee, and gave me a dozen long-stem red roses, and a wonderful note. He then gave me the ring, which was in a little box made out of chocolate. The box was on a silver tray.

We still sometimes joke about how, after DH asked "Will you marry me?" my brilliant reply was "uh huh"

We've been married close to 19 years now.

Funny side note. The chocolate box was in our fridge for several years after that. When we were getting to move, my mom came over to help clean our apartment. At some point, she was cleaning out the fridge, and ate the box! She commented that it didn't taste very good, no wonder, it was around five years old at that point!

DH made me another chocolate box, and that one is in our fridge currently. Probably been in there more than five years. It's shoved way in the back, where I rarely see it, but it's still there!

Michelle T

We'd been dating for about 6 months and I knew he was the one I wanted to marry so one night I asked him if he'd marry me. He said he'd have to think about it:001_huh: A couple of days later I asked him about it and he said "It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when". We were married a couple of months later and have been now for 25 years.:lol:

Guest Virginia Dawn

Dh was nervous and couldn't come out with the word "marriage." Instead he asked me if I would like to be with him forever. I was very amused at his round about way of asking so I teased him with, "Gee, forever is a long time." Of course he started laughing then everything was taken for granted.

So technically he never asked. And I never answered. Hmm.

We went out to the lake near our college campus and he had written me a letter (which made me cry of course), then he gave me the ring. I can't remember if there was an actual asking involved. We both knew that's where we were headed. I have the letter in a box, somewhere.

We were 20 and 19, and my parents knew we were that serious, but his really didn't. And he's not great at announcements...they were all walking over to my dorm to pick me up to go out for dinner a few weeks after he'd proposed (they came up to campus to visit) and as they're crossing the street, he just sort of throws out, "oh, I asked Jami to marry me." :001_huh:

I'm surprised they didn't stop mid-street and get hit by oncoming traffic. :auto:

Somehow they rallied and I only saw supportive kindness, but I'm sure they were completely freaked out that he was getting married so young.

Oh and we're coming up on 11 years in August.

got down one knee the whole old fashion proposal, my SIL picked out the ring

He is the romantic type. He saw me at a grocery store in our home town. He spent 3 months going through old high school annuls to find out my name. Then it took him another 2 months to find some one who knew me. He then finally called. It was a funny blind date, meet for lunch. Then talked daily for another couple of months till we could meet again

The lunch took place October 1987.

We had spent the weekend at my parent's house, and were headed to Austin and San Antonio, for our jobs. We stopped in Austin and he took me up to a beautiful lot overlooking Lake Travis and told me that he wanted to build our dream house there and asked me to marry him.

I said yes, but we never bought the lot. Come to think of it, we never even lived in Austin. Oh well, I still remember it very clearly!

On the way back from eating at a Japanese steak house, dh yelled, "Sh**! I was going to ask you to marry me at the restaurant! Will you marry me?"

Dh had been so into catching the cooked meat with his mouth that he forgot he had an agenda. Oh, to be young, dumb, and full of .... oh, well I married Mr. ADD anyway. LOL

We met online and then a month later met in person when I went to stay with him for 10 days. He was in RI and I lived in WI. After those 10 days we knew we'd get married and about a month after I got home I got an engagement ring with a small note in the mail, yes he sent is Certified US Mail. LOL

It was April 2nd. We had a snowstorm in Blacksburg. We walked to the 7-11 for something. I do remember buying football cards and one of them was Art Monk. He asked me if I wanted to play at the playground on the way back in 5 foot snowdrifts. When I was on the swing, he got down on one knee and popped the question. (See first date thread for playground significance.)

He had driven to my parents' house the weekend before to ask my dad. He had some lame excuse about attending his brother's math

meet. All weekend his roommates kept joking that he was going to get my ring. I really had no idea.

By the way, our first son was born exactly 3 years after my DH proposed.

It was a hot, humid summer day and we had been driving from LaCrosse WI back to Chicago. We stopped at the Frank Lloyd Wright headquarters (Talisen??) and could not afford the $5 fee per person to tour inside. So - walking back to the car, not-hubby tried several times to get me to walk up a hill to some tree. I was hot, tired, cross, and finally lowered my head and butted him in the stomach. "Would a piece of ice help you cool off?" he queried, as he gave me a ring.

I've told my dd that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Literally.

Well, dh and I had been dating for only a few months. We pretty much knew we would get married. The fall semester of my senior year of college (his junior year) I went abroad to Spain. Dh's step-mother was a pilot for US AIR and so dh could fly for free whenever and wherever he wanted to go assuming a seat was available. We planned to meet in Paris during his Thanksgiving break. I rode the train from Seville, Spain up to Paris, France overnight and he met me at the station. We had been apart for 3 months. Dh had booked a hotel for us already and we took a cab to the hotel. I was exhausted. We got to our room and I just about passed out on the bed. Next thing I know, dh is on his knee next to the bed asking me to marry him! I woke up pretty quickly, blinked a few times and said, "Yes!". Then he showed me the ring...the very one I saw in a jewelry shop window one evening before I left and the very one he said he could never afford. :D It was beautiful. I always tell him...I said yes before I saw the ring! :D

This is how it went.

Him: My mother says I should either sh*t or get off the pot.

Me: What is that supposed to mean?

Him: You know. We should get married or something.

Me: That's what she says, huh?

Later that day...

Him: So what about it?

Me: What?

Him: What we were talking about before.

Me: What were we talking about before?

Him: You know, getting married.

Me: You have to ask me.

Him (with his shirt over his head): Will you marry me?

Me: What's with the shirt?

That's it verbatum.

Wow. Let's see, it was 1994. I told then boyfriend the stick was blue. He muttered an expletive. Three weeks later we were married.

Three months after baby was born I found out about the first girlfriend. That proposal should have told me something...:confused:

So now, 14 years later, I have decided that if the tall bald guy wants me to spend the rest of my life with him, he's darned well going to have to screw up the guts to ask me. He has to want to be with me. ;)

I hope the next time around (and there will be a next time, God willing) it won't be accompanied by a four-letter word and a tone of voice that registers disappointment.

I always say there's no way like the hard way!:001_smile:

My dh proposed during an argument. We were at Tom's Diner in Portland. I'm not quite sure why we argued but I do remember sitting there with my arms crossed telling him that I wasn't moving until he proposed! He said, "Fine then, will you marry me?" I snapped back, "Yes!"

The next day on a walk I asked him if he had been serious. We almost got in another fight - he was offended that I didn't think he had meant it the day before!

(We rarely fight now!) :boxing_smiley:

On the way back from eating at a Japanese steak house, dh yelled, "Sh**! I was going to ask you to marry me at the restaurant! Will you marry me?"

Dh had been so into catching the cooked meat with his mouth that he forgot he had an agenda. Oh, to be young, dumb, and full of .... oh, well I married Mr. ADD anyway. LOL

This is priceless!

The closest I can think that we ever came to having any kind of a Q-and-A on it was one day, about three months into dating. (When we met, we'd both unequivocally stated that neither of us was looking to get attached. He was happy being single. I had plans that did not include a man. Keep your distance, smile, nod, and move on. Nobody gets hurt. LOL)

One day I asked him, "You're going to miss me when I go to Seattle, aren't you?"

He looked at me, cocked his head, and said, "I don't think you're going without me."

I smiled until my cheeks hurt, because I didn't want to go without him. It took us another two years and three attempts to finally GET married, but that's another story.

Of course, we never made it to Seattle, either. But wherever we've gone, we've gone together, and that's good enough.

...the Christmas after we started dating, dh kept going on and on about how he was only buying *one* present that year.

(Okay, maybe he didn't go on and on...but I certainly perked up whenever he mentioned it.)

Christmas Eve comes. We're at my grandmother's, and he hands me a box. It's not ring-sized. I think, "Oh! He's put it in a big box, to fool me!"

It was a Bible.

I didn't have a good one, and he had noticed, and told me I needed a new one.

How can you get upset about getting a Bible, lol?

A few months later (March, I think), we were at a church hot dog roast. Gathered around the fire with a HUGE group of people, he handed his coffee to the pastor, got down on one knee, and pulled out a ring.

Caught me completely by surprise.

I'll humor you. I'm pretty good at it. :tongue_smilie:

DH never proposed to me, it just sort of became a given that we would get married.

He also never asked me out, I asked him out first.

We also eloped, or actually I'm not sure if we can all it that since we got married in the house we were living in, not a whole lot of running away there. The judge came to us because the ac at the courthouse picked that special day to quit working.

So it was just us, two friends required as witnesses, the judge and two itty bitty kittens who kept leaping and attacking the judge's robe.

He (the judge) was pretty cool about it, and he was also cool about me being adamant that there was nothing in the vows about "obeying." :D:D

We went to a JP's office and the JP was a lady. The two witness were his mom and my dd. There were no kittens. There was also nothing about obeying. Just ask my hubby, the very idea is laughable. There was a token ring (with a story all its own) but I would be hard pressed to tell you exactly where it is right now. Then we went home. He had no idea what he was getting himself into. That was almost 18 years ago. :)

We'd been talking about getting married for months. We'd looked at rings and I'd told him the two I would like-he could choose from there. He was going to the city we'd looked for rings at for a pool tournament one weekend and I was so excited because I knew he was getting our rings while he was there. (He wanted a matching set where the engagement ring, and the wedding bands were all part of the package.)

He came home from the tournament and said they needed to size the rings and would send them-he didn't bring them back. I wasn't sure whether or not to believe him at first, but it was true and I was so disappointed.

After a number of days I was really bumbed the rings hadn't come yet. To cheer me up, dh said he'd make me supper in the dorm's kitchen that night. We sat down to meatloaf made in a muffin pan (little meatloaf muffins:) and baked potatoes. He had folded the "lovely" brown, business type paper towels into accordian folds and as I went to pick it up, I saw my engagement ring on the paper towel serving as a napkin ring! I was so surprised all I could say was, "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh" He asked me to marry him and I said "yes". We spent the rest of the night calling family members to tell them. :)

We just celebrated our 13th anniversary this past week. :)

We were at a church retreat, & there were buckets & water for washing ea others' feet. Dh got a bucket, knelt down in front of me, & asked if he could wash my feet. We had never dated, but I'd felt that God had been saying that I was going to marry dh. When I saw him kneeling there like that, I was completely speechless.

Then, instead of using one of the cloths provided, he took off his coat, dipped it in the water, & washed my feet. He used the other side to dry them, & he asked me to marry him.

He's pretty much treated me the same way ever since. I will *never* deserve him.

We had been together since we were 18 and were now 22. Dh went through his parents nasty divorce and my parents had a rocky marriage also so we were both very gun shy about getting married. We had some money saved for a down payment on a house (we didn't want to waste it on a wedding) and had just made an offer on a small two bedroom. I found out I was pregnant and in talking about how we were going to move forward, he said it was really important to him that the baby have his last name. We just kinda decided to get married right then, we were married about 2 mths later. The night we go my ring, he did get down on one knee and ask me to marry him. I was technically 'engaged' only a few days :)

We've been married 14 years and ironically we and one other couple (who also have a blue line proposal) are the only couples of all our friends who are still together. All the couples who did it the "right way" are no longer together. We and the other couple were also the first couples to get married in our group.

We were at a church retreat, & there were buckets & water for washing ea others' feet. Dh got a bucket, knelt down in front of me, & asked if he could wash my feet. We had never dated, but I'd felt that God had been saying that I was going to marry dh. When I saw him kneeling there like that, I was completely speechless.

Then, instead of using one of the cloths provided, he took off his coat, dipped it in the water, & washed my feet. He used the other side to dry them, & he asked me to marry him.

He's pretty much treated me the same way ever since. I will *never* deserve him.

Wow! What a great story!

Awesome! I think this goes down as the most romantic proposal I have ever heard. Wow....

We went to Gatlinburg, Tennessee for the weekend. Dh had written a poem and he intended to ask me on a mountain top, but he got nervous and proposed as soon as we got to our condo. It was actually kind of funny because he still read me the poem, which made reference to being on top of a mountain, which we weren't. But I gladly said yes. :001_smile:

Our kids were 3 and 5 years old. I had been the one resisting marriage. I was commitment phobic. I had refused him before, even after first saying yes, poor man. We moved house, and I started to have these fantasies of getting married in the lovely garden, and I knew something in me was ready, so I asked him! We were driving in the car, and we stopped at stoplights just as I asked him- as the lights turned green he said it was a sign, and yes!

My dh proposed over breakfast, the morning after we had spent the night together at the County Jail. :lol:

He had been driving my sister and me up to our parents' house for Christmas. We got a late start because we'd spent the evening with our grandparents. His car broke down three times. The third time, about 1:30 a.m., we coasted into a gas station off the interstate, in the middle of nowhere. We were getting the sleeping bags out of the trunk, preparing to just spend the night in the car, when a police officer pulled up and told us we couldn't sleep there. He very graciously gave us a ride to the Jail, where we spent the night.

Dh had planned to pop the question that coming night (Christmas Eve) at my parents', but he knew a good story when he saw one, so he moved it up a few hours.

This is precious. I Love it! My ds is looking for a romantic way to propose to his girlfriend. He is having to be creative because they have known for awhile that they would get married. He still wants her to be surprised and to have a good memory. What you have described is a beautiful memory.

Never happened. It was more like, "we're getting married, right? so when do you think we should do that?" Roflol... And believe me, that sounds a *lot* more like a proposal than the actual experience... I don't even remember who said what.

On our 8th anniversary though, we went out for a beautiful dinner, and dh presented me with a really gorgeous diamond ring. My actual engagement ring was just this side of a toy (what we could afford at the time), and while I never had any complaints about it, I was sure amazed and pleased by my new ring. The engagement ring had gotten crushed on my finger a couple of months earlier (I still have no idea how -- one day I couldn't get it off and thought my fingers had swollen, till we realized it was actually just bent terribly), so I had set it aside. When the waitress came with our dessert and saw my beautiful, sparkly ring, she started falling all over herself, thinking dh had proposed. To me, it was even better. I didn't much *care* about the ring or the proposal all those years ago. That, after years of marriage, dh *still* cared enough to find me the perfect ring and surprise me with it and all that... Well, that was so much more special to me!

Dh had graduated college, and I was finishing my senior year. We arranged for me to visit him on Valentine's weekend.

The day started horribly. My train was canceled due to an ice storm. The travel agent didn't want to refund my money. Finally, after hours and hours of dealing with all this, I was able to buy a bus ticket and thought I was home free. However, the bus driver deviated from the route. It was all students on the bus who all knew the way home, and we all knew it was not the right way. We could hear the bus driver's dispatcher calling him. My seatmate asked the driver very sweetly what route he was taking? He barked at her to shut up and sit down! At this point we were all seriously wondering if we were being kidnapped! Eventually the driver did take us to the correct drop-off point. (We later learned that he had purposely extended the drive so that the bus company would not insist on his driving again that evening!)

I was really stressed out by all this, and my stress increased dramatically when my big, strong, handsome boyfriend was NOT waiting right there to gather me into his manly arms. All the other students (and their laundry!) were joyfully united with parents and friends and disappeared, and soon I was left sitting all by myself sitting on a bench, blinking back tears. Finally the boyfriend showed up and I told him I just wanted to go home to bed. He gently convinced me to have some dinner first. He hadn't been there when the bus pulled up because he'd gone inside the mall to a find a pay phone and change our dinner reservations.

We went to a really nice restaurant, and I had a lovely, tender swordfish steak.

We went from there to dh's parents' house. It borders a public golf course, and we have always enjoyed taking long walks in the evenings there. Sometimes in the summer we would go play in the big sprinklers too.

This night there was a fresh snow and a full moon, and it was just beautiful. We walked and played in the snow. Dh said many, many lovely things to me about how he loves me, how he treasures me, how he finds me beautiful. :001_wub: He led me to a little spot clustered with fir trees. He told me his mom had seen something unusual there--some sort of ice animal?!?! I was mystified. He pointed, and at first I thought it might be a bunny???

It was an ice sculpture of a hand. There was a diamond ring on it. He asked me if I would like to wear that for him.

We took our time walking back to his house, cuddling, kissing, laughing. His parents were waiting for us, and I was dreadfully shy. Dh's father pulled me into a hug and said, "Welcome to the family." He had planted the ice sculpture while we were at dinner.