Menu

How did your dh propose to you?

She was living in Rome, Italy at the time (Spring 1998). I called her up and suggested we break up.

I went home for Spring Break and talked with some buddies of mine.

Two days after the first call, I rang her back and proposed. I think I said something to the effect of, "I'm being an idiot. So, umm...ya wanna get married?"

There was dead silence, which could have meant many things, not least of which was a dead transatlantic phone connection.

She accepted. We spent another couple of years engaged before we actually tied the knot.

really!

He had been "hinting around" for a while. One Saturday I came over to his place; I think we were planning on going somewhere. He was wearing a suit and had a bouquet of flowers.

I asked him where he was going, all dressed up like that, and all of a sudden he knelt down and asked me to marry him. I thought he was joking, and kept asking him, "Is this a joke? Are you trying to trick me?" After about five minutes of questioning, I realized he was very serious, so I said yes.

When I related the story at work the following Monday, one fellow quipped, "Michelle, guys don't joke about stuff like that!"

We had been dating a few months, and both knew that this was "it". I had hoped for a ring for Christmas, but that didn't happen. He wanted to meet my parents before getting engaged.

When we arranged to go to my parents' home (150 mi. away), my mom immediately assumed we were coming down to announce our engagement. So, dh bought the ring, and "officially" proposed to me on our way to church, on the bench in front of the Riding Preacher statue at the State Capitol.

My story. DH had me convinced that since he was paying for my schooling he would not have money for an engagement ring and we would wait a while. I just couldn't stand the anticipation anymore and he asked me if I wanted my engagement ring(which we had picked out the stone together, I hadn't seen it in the setting). I said of course so he got it out and put it on my finger and said "I guess that means you'll marry me?"

We were at a church retreat, & there were buckets & water for washing ea others' feet. Dh got a bucket, knelt down in front of me, & asked if he could wash my feet. We had never dated, but I'd felt that God had been saying that I was going to marry dh. When I saw him kneeling there like that, I was completely speechless.

Then, instead of using one of the cloths provided, he took off his coat, dipped it in the water, & washed my feet. He used the other side to dry them, & he asked me to marry him.

He's pretty much treated me the same way ever since. I will *never* deserve him.

Aubrey, that is such a romantic story!:001_wub:

My dh was coaching basketball and teaching at a Christian private school at his church. My church (we lived 75 miles apart) had a Christian private school. He went out at half time when both schools were playing each other, called me out of the crowd, got down on bended knee, and asked. It was nice to have about 300 people there to see, most of whom were from our churches. His team did win! LOL!

Just a little sweet side note. He gave me a wedding gift at our wedding rehearsal that is so special to me. He had saved pennies when he was a little boy to buy his future wife a gift. He bought me a small ruby with those very pennies. He read the scripture about a wife being worth far more than rubies and said that was all the he could afford and was glad I was worth more. I had it made into a pinkie ring that I wear ALL the time.

Amy of GA

Darin's wife for 17 years

11yo dd

5yo ds

We were on the couch after having dinner at my place one evening. As we watched TV, he went to the restroom. He came back and sat beside me. He started coughing.. then hacking.. then nearly choking he spit out my ring. I still don't know what his plan was, but I will always remember him choking on my engagement ring.

• 2 weeks later...

Is was February 1993. We'd been dating for 1 month. I was in my senior year of highschool. He was 26 (now he has bifocals! Ahh...).

We went to Tennessee to visit his grandparents during my school's February break. We were staying at his best friend's house on the pull-out couch. He was being a total gentleman.

One night he said "I think I love you" when he thought I was sleeping, but I heard him.

The next day, he simply proposed and I said yes.

I'll humor you. I'm pretty good at it. :tongue_smilie:

DH never proposed to me, it just sort of became a given that we would get married.

He also never asked me out, I asked him out first.

We also eloped, or actually I'm not sure if we can all it that since we got married in the house we were living in, not a whole lot of running away there. The judge came to us because the ac at the courthouse picked that special day to quit working.

So it was just us, two friends required as witnesses, the judge and two itty bitty kittens who kept leaping and attacking the judge's robe.

He (the judge) was pretty cool about it, and he was also cool about me being adamant that there was nothing in the vows about "obeying." :D:D

And I thought I was the only one who never recieved a proposal. And I think I asked him for our first formal date! I'd really think you were my twin in a parrallel universe except we did have a big wedding (though dh did want to elope :) )

My dh proposed in a Christmas card.

He wrote a nice little note and at the end it said will you marry me.

I was crying my eyes out.

Then he showed my the diamond ring he had bought and was waiting for my answer :001_smile:

All I could do was shake my head yes.

He didn't propose. I did--sort of! One day I said, "I think getting married during the break between training and your first assignment (USAF) would be a good idea, don't you?" He agreed! That day was 20 yrs. ago last month, and this November we'll be married 20 yrs.!

Turns out, I'm the planner on everything else in our lives too! If I held my breath waiting for him to plan something, I'd be dead many times over by now!

Chelle

he proposes this way:

We'd been dating over 3 years when he proposed. Rewind to 18 months before. We weren't even dating at the time (we were taking a "break" from each other to "make sure"). He started taking piano lessons for the express purpose of proposing to me. He did this behind my back. For 18 months. I had no clue.

So on Spring Break, me and 3 friends, my mom, and my then-boyfriend, all went to Captiva Island (my aunt lived there). My friends were irritated that I had a boyfriend along on the trip, but they "allowed" me to go to dinner with him one night. We arrived at the restaurant earlier than it opened (though I was unaware). We waited in the piano bar while they "got our table ready." So my guy heads over to the piano and starts picking around on it. I'm flipping out because it's a nice restaurant, and I'm pretty darn sure they wouldn't appreciate him messing with their piano.

So then he starts to play a song. A SONG. As far as I knew, he didn't know how to play *any* instrument. So I sat there stunned. jawdrop.gifHe played through Richard Marx's "Right Here Waiting for You" and still I'm stunned and can't even process what I'm witnessing. I look down and notice he has a ring on his little finger. I'm thinking to myself, "Am I supposed to say something...am I supposed to wait for him to say something??" He plays "Groovy Kind of Love" by Phil Collins (it's 1990, folks!), and when he starts moving into some other piece, he gets a little impatient and stops. He says, "Will you marry me?" And I'm pretty sure I never answered him--I just snatched the ring off his finger and put it on mine! (The ring, by the way, he had designed himself--with diamonds and sapphires.)

So then we ordered dinner (the restaurant staff was all excited to help him pull this night off!), but by then I was a nervous wreck, I was so excited. candledinner.gif

How could I not marry a man after he went to so much trouble for me?? We've been married almost 18 years. And he still goes to a lot of trouble for me. As Aubrey said about her dh, I do not deserve him.

BTW, he hasn't touched a piano since. He's ultimately a very practical person--as he says, it served his purpose, he got what he wanted, and then he moved on!

You should hear how I turned the tables on him on our 10th anniversary!