Menu

Do you believe there's intelligent life elsewhere in the universe?

Is there intelligent life "out there"?  

1. 1. Is there intelligent life "out there"?

• Yes, definitely
    • Probably but I'm not certain
    • Nope
    • Most likely not, but there's a slim chance
    • Obligatory Other (please explain)

As someone who has seen a UFO, I have to say that I don't disbelieve. I'm not saying that I 100% believe either but I'm open to the idea. I think it would be pretty small of us to think that we are the only living beings in the entire universe.

And yes, I have seen a UFO. I'm not saying 'OMG I SAW AN ALIEN SPACECRAFT' but that I did see a UFO in the most literal sense of the word. It was a flying object (well, technically it was hovering) and it was definitely unidentified (at least by me and DH).

People will think I'm a crazy person now.

Edited by MiniBlondes

Ds and I discussed this yesterday. I would like to believe there is intelligent life out there. I'm more apt to believe there is life, but not advanced civilizations out there.

If they are more advanced why would they want to come here? Maybe there is a Star Trek like worlds so far from here we'll never see it.

He asked if we could see alien beings in our lifetime. I'd love that, it would be so cool, I'm just not that optimistic.

Ds and I discussed this yesterday. I would like to believe there is intelligent life out there. I'm more apt to believe there is life, but not advanced civilizations out there.

If they are more advanced why would they want to come here? Maybe there is a Star Trek like worlds so far from here we'll never see it.

He asked if we could see alien beings in our lifetime. I'd love that, it would be so cool, I'm just not that optimistic.

They come here to check on our technological progress. We aren't yet ready to join the Federation and the Prime Directive stipulates they are not to interfere with our natural development as a civilization. ;)

They come here to check on our technological progress. We aren't yet ready to join the Federation and the Prime Directive stipulates they are not to interfere with our natural development as a civilization. ;)

:iagree:(or at least, I hope!):lol::lol::lol:

I believe there is, yes. Not only does science lean in that direction, but LDS scripture has a couple of passages that strongly hint in that direction. And in addition to God and and His angels (and Satan and his angels) the Bible has descriptions of a number of heavenly beasts seen in vision that might be merely symbolic, or might be descriptions of real creatures living elsewhere. Then again, I don't necessarily believe there is only one universe, or that God (et. al) lives in THIS one--or in any universe at all. I think there's a lot "out there" that man has no clue about, despite our arrogant assertions to the contrary.

I believe it is very presumptuous on our part if we think we are the only intelligent life out there in this vast space. So, yes, I think there is life on other planets somewhere out there. Why not?

:iagree: hawking said something similar. Of course there is but they want what we would want resources

Aside from God and the Angels.....no.

May I ask why not?

I believe there is, yes. Not only does science lean in that direction, but LDS scripture has a couple of passages that strongly hint in that direction. And in addition to God and and His angels (and Satan and his angels) the Bible has descriptions of a number of heavenly beasts seen in vision that might be merely symbolic, or might be descriptions of real creatures living elsewhere. Then again, I don't necessarily believe there is only one universe, or that God (et. al) lives in THIS one--or in any universe at all. I think there's a lot "out there" that man has no clue about, despite our arrogant assertions to the contrary.

Yes, but Mormon beliefs hold to man being able to become a God in his own right and with his own planet to populate, correct? So by default that would hold to other intelligent life out there.

I think it's interesting that the OP wants those who *don't* believe in it to justify with reasons, but not those who do. ?? LOL It seems similar to how those of faith are told how silly it is to believe in something we can't prove, but turn it around to this subject and the people who don't believe based on no proof are the ones who are called arrogant, presumptuous, etc. even if our disbelief has nothing to do with religion. LOL

As of today, I do not believe there is intelligent life anywhere else, but I accept the possibility. *shrug*

Absolutely! in fact I have heard there are places in outside the US where thy have universal health care for children!

And spell they with an E :D

(I know, I have typos also....just trying to steer it away from the politics. This is NOT the season to talk about politics on the board. It gets really, really ugly)

Well, some people really like chopped liver. :001_smile:

:D awww, thanks! I feel better now. Better than being a dead duck or a roasted duck...well, a roasted duck is a dead duck by nature, but a dead duck is not always a roasted duck....

Sorry, the sewing machine noise is rattling my brain. I've stolen son's laptop so I can have a tab open while sewing :001_smile:

(five coverings nearly done...whoohoo! Then two more coverings and a slip next....whoo hoo!)

What's the definition of "politics"? Any comment about public policy? Usually polite, or humorous comments that don't attack anyone don't bother me personally, but maybe I have a thick skin. Ill try to learn.

Edited by mathwonk

I will try to keep free of politics, but my failed joke was predicated on my doubt that life here is all that intelligent. What is the threshold for recognizing intelligent life here or elsewhere?

Behavior here certainly does not make logical sense to me personally. E.g. even if 400,000 people a year die of tobacco use, nonetheless we allow that, but we outlaw things that scare people more but result in only a handful of deaths a year. As a scientist, this behavior does not square with intelligence to me.

I apologize if this seems like politics, but I think it is scientific inquiry into human behavior and the nature of intelligence.

I.e. to me intelligence requires logical responses to threats, not just recognition of stimuli.

So my question is, what would convince you that intelligent life exists somewhere? Just response to a signal?

Or am I confusing intelligence with prudence, i.e. wisdom as manifested in behavior that enhances self preservation?

Edited by mathwonk

I always wonder about applying our own definitions of "intelligence" and "life" to the entire universe, especially considering that we've decided most of the universe is dark energy and dark matter, but we're not sure exactly what those actually are. Well, except that they're dark.

Perhaps what we have here is, indeed, not really "intelligent life" according to most of the universe.

(Probably better not to answer these polls when I've been reading Terry Pratchett.)

Ooo.....I would love to see a thread dedicated to those who have seen something. There is a lady here who claims to have seen 3 low hovering objects. She didn't elaborate.

Dawn

As someone who has seen a UFO, I have to say that I don't disbelieve. I'm not saying that I 100% believe either but I'm open to the idea. I think it would be pretty small of us to think that we are the only living beings in the entire universe.

And yes, I have seen a UFO. I'm not saying 'OMG I SAW AN ALIEN SPACECRAFT' but that I did see a UFO in the most literal sense of the word. It was a flying object (well, technically it was hovering) and it was definitely unidentified (at least by me and DH).

People will think I'm a crazy person now.

Ok this has got me going. I looked up the word and one meaning of intelligence is ability to learn. But what if one has the ability but does not use it?

If someone indulges in self destructive behavior because he just too dull to realize its consequences, maybe he is unintelligent. If another person has the ability to realize it but is distracted by some other activity like nuclear physics, is he more intelligent, but just not applying that intelligence uniformly?

if someone else realizes his harmful behavior but continues it because he feels a strong desire to assert his individuality is he more intelligent even if more foolish?

So it seems intelligence is just sort having ones eyes open, no matter what use he makes of that.

I'm not too impressed by this notion. If one has the ability to learn, it seems to me he should eventually prove it by doing so.

I said 'probably but not certain'. It's hard to fathom a universe this big and think there's no other life out there. I'm not sure what counts as intelligent. NASA is looking for signs of life, now or in the past, but they don't specify that it has to be intelligent life. I'm with NASA in thinking there is or was likely life elsewhere besides earth.