Menu

What do you think of as "the South?"

Just wondering as I saw some crazy states mentioned as being in the South on another thread.

If you took a poll around me, I think the majority would say it starts at Virginia, then NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, and LA definitely. They might include TN and AR. FL and anything north of VA are "Yankee" tainted, and TX is just its own thing out there. This is the impression I got growing up here (though I've been labeled a "foreigner" since my parents were from New England).

So, where are you from and what do you think of as the South?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering as I saw some crazy states mentioned as being in the South on another thread.

If you took a poll around me, I think the majority would say it starts at Virginia, then NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, and LA definitely. They might include TN and AR. FL and anything north of VA are "Yankee" tainted, and TX is just its own thing out there. This is the impression I got growing up here (though I've been labeled a "foreigner" since my parents were from New England).

Yeah, your definition sounds right to me. :D

I am from New England and I am now a sothern hostage. However, where I live in N AL is nothing like what people think of "the south" or Alabama. When i use to think of the was I would think Mississippi, Alabama, Tennesee, Arkansas,Georgia. My family moved to Florida and it definately not "the south".

I would agree with your definition with the inclusion of Kentucky if we are talking entire states. However, I think that the Southern culture extends further north than that. For example, southern IL is much more similar in culture to "the south" than it is to the rest of IL and further north.

I would include KY, TN, WVa, AR. I would have included TX but would like to see what folks from TX think. I don't think of FL as south, though parts of it likely are, but the state as a whole is a mixture and its own entity.

Technically, Delaware and Maryland are also considered Southern states. I didn't feel it so much growing up in Wilmington, but the further south you get, the more "southern" it is...to a degree. And mainly if you're comparing it to "the feeling" you get in the more northern states and New England.

I prefer to think of Delaware as a Mid-Atlantic state.

Anything South of the Mason/Dixon Line

Yes, south of the Mason-Dixon Line is how I see it. That includes Maryland even though it didn't secede. The Mason-Dixon Line was around long before the Civil War, and the states south of the line are generally considered part of the south.

Where I grew up, anything south of I-10 was "southern" everyone else was a yankee :tongue_smilie:

When we moved north I was shocked to find where the actual Mason-Dixon line was, my dh had to drive me to one of the posted signs and show me :)

As for a list of states, I think it's:

NC

SC

GA

AL

MS

LA

AR

TN

KY

I guess I'd throw VA in there, but probably not WV or MD. (I don't know why. I just don't consider those states as part of the southern culture, for some reason.)

I also don't consider FL in that group of southern states, even though its further south than the southern states I listed above.

And TX is a universe all unto itself, even though it was part of the Confederacy. But its culture is unique and not really "southern" except along the LA border.

(ETA: I was a bit amused when someone mentioned in another thread that MD and WV were "southern states". To me, they seem pretty far north, and don't really share in that southern culture.)

:iagree: except I would say that northern Florida is very "Southern" and parts of TX are that way also, it's sort-of a mix of Southern and TX, but definitely not Dallas, it's has little left of the Southern culture, imho

We lived in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and while we were there I learned that Dallas is considered where the south begins, and Fort Worth is where the west begins.

Hmmm...maybe so, but we could not buy sweet iced tea anywhere in Texas when traveling there a few years ago. As a matter of fact, I don't remember being able to buy sweet iced tea until we got to Jackson, MS. Can you be a Southern state and not serve sweet tea?:001_unsure:

:D

It's the 11 states that were part of the Confederacy: South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas.

Delaware and Maryland are definitely NOT the South. :001_huh:

*Geographically,* Virginia, Maryland and Delaware are Mid-Atlantic states; politically, socially, and socially, Virginia is Southern. Don't even mess with us Virginians on that one. :D

Now that I'm living in Texas, I can tell you that it is definitely Southern. :D

@OP I lived in Texas for 28 years and I vote absentee there. The TX Primary elections were postponed this year, due to a court case, regarding redistricting. Texas is under Federal supervision, with regarding to voting, as are the other Southern states, because of segregation in the past.

It's the 11 states that were part of the Confederacy: South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas.

*Geographically,* Virginia, Maryland and Delaware are Mid-Atlantic states; politically, socially, and socially, Virginia is Southern. Don't even mess with us Virginians on that one. :D

:iagree:

The north is southern, the south is northern :lol:

I live near Jacksonville, Florida - it is definately part of 'the South'. My older dd lives in Sarasota, Florida - definately not-south. :lol:

I am sure it is because I am a 'transplant' but I do not like 'South', I would love to return to the West. :auto: I have local friends who love it here, but they are usually from here.

From NH, and :iagree:.

I grew up in MN, and what you've said sounds about right. Although I'd consider TN and AR as southern. FL is faux north/Cuba. TX is it's own country, right? :D

I grew up in WV and nobody wants us! Northerners consider us a southern state and southerners don't usually count us as part of the south. The place I was raised is actually further south than most of VA.

Well, if you grew up listening to Billy Joel, then WV is a Cowboy Western state :D.

The states that were part of the Confederacy during the Civil War plus the border states of KY and WV.

I grew up in New England.

:iagree: I grew up in KY. We considered ourselves the northern edge of "the south." People farther south have told me that it doesn't count, but I've always based it on involvement in the civil war. Basically, anything colored on this map:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Confederate_States_of_America.svg

:confused: Sweet tea is everywhere in Texas...???

I've lived in Austin, on and off (though mostly on) since 1975. Tea used to always be served without sugar, and if you wanted sugar, you added it yourself. And you called it "tea with sugar." Some time in the '90's, places started asking if you wanted "sweet or unsweet" tea. "Unsweet" had hitherto been considered a Deep South and unTexanly thing to say, and it always struck me, at least, as affected and Trying Too Hard to be Down-Home, besides being a linguistic abomination. But it seems to be here to stay. As is the vile overly sugared tea.

ETA: One of my favorite tea memories is a Bahamian friend at an IHOP vainly trying to order a cup of tea, and utterly failing to make the waitress understand why the tall icy glass of Lipton's that had been placed in front of her was neither a cup, nor tea. The waitress was reduced to staring at it, asking incredulously, "You want me to make it hot?"

Edited by Sharon in Austin

I've lived in Virginia (definitely south), South Carolina (yep, south) and Texas. We lived in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and while we were there I learned that Dallas is considered where the south begins, and Fort Worth is where the west begins.

This is cute, and very true.

Are you telling me that everyone didn't grow up listening to Billy Joel???

My whole life has been a lie.

:rofl:

Hmmm...maybe so, but we could not buy sweet iced tea anywhere in Texas when traveling there a few years ago. As a matter of fact, I don't remember being able to buy sweet iced tea until we got to Jackson, MS. Can you be a Southern state and not serve sweet tea?:001_unsure:

:D

Hmmm, well, all I know is that when we go to Houston, and i've ordered tea at a restaurant, I always get asked "sweet or unsweet?" That sounds so strange to my West Coast ears! ;)

Edited by Singingmom

Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. Missouri is borderline (but I'd call it southern too).

Bill

I wouldn't call MO southern, but there is a dividing line between north and south MO. When I worked in insurance I worked MO (where I grew up). You knew which agents were from southern MO because of their accent.

There is always a clear divide between where ma'am and sir are insults or expected courtesy, oh and sweet tea is not available everywhere. Where I grew up ma'am and sir were not expected, still aren't. Ma'am is the woman in the grocery with blue hair.

I think the south begins where you can call your waitress hon or darlin and get better service instead of being slapped. :lol:

:confused: Sweet tea is everywhere in Texas...???

Ok, well, maybe it just was not served in the restaurants we happened to visit. There were flavored teas, like raspberry tea, but none of the restaurants (that we visited) served regular sweet tea. I was even told, "We have unsweet tea and you can sweeten it with the sugar (packets) on the table but we do not serve sweet tea."

Now, don't get me wrong. I am certainly not anti-Texas. Quite the contrary. I love TX! My dh and I frequently dream about living there. Just kidding about the sweet tea.

I guess I have always considered TX as the west. This is an interesting way of looking at it.

Dallas is considered where the south begins, and Fort Worth is where the west begins.

Texas really is diverse and seems like a "country" unto itself.

Hmmm, well, all I know is that when we go to Houston, and i've ordered tea at a restaurant, I always get asked "sweet or unsweet?" That sounds so strange to my West Coast ears! ;)

In Austin and San Antonio, as well.

We had a discussion on another forum once about what sweet tea was. Southerners were aghast that you couldn't get sweet tea at restaurants in other places in the U.S. They were like :blink: We had to explain that see, you get your glass of iced tea, and you add your sweetner of choice to it, and you stir it up. :lol:

Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. Missouri is borderline (but I'd call it southern too).

Bill

Oklahoma wasn't a state during the Civil war. It doesn't consider itself "southern," it identifies more with Texas and Southwestern states.

Edited by Sis

We had a discussion on another forum once about what sweet tea was. Southerners were aghast that you couldn't get sweet tea at restaurants in other places in the U.S. They were like :blink: We had to explain that see, you get your glass of iced tea, and you add your sweetner of choice to it, and you stir it up. :lol:

Yes, but adding sugar to already iced tea doesn't work very well. The sugar must be dissolved in hot tea before adding the ice. Otherwise, the sugar does not dissolve and sits on the bottom of the tea glass. There is an art to making sweet tea, you know. ;):D

I think the south begins where you can call your waitress hon or darlin and get better service instead of being slapped. :lol:

But the Hons are in Baltimore! Note to self: Attend Honfest some day.

Yes, but adding sugar to already iced tea doesn't work very well. The sugar must be dissolved in hot tea before adding the ice. Otherwise, the sugar does not dissolve and sits on the bottom of the tea glass. There is an art to making sweet tea, you know. ;):D

But, see, that's not the same thing as sweet tea. That's tea that's been sweetened. So totally two different things. :lol:

A little piece of civilization died when people stopped serving simple syrup with iced tea.

I have to agree there. I don't prefer sweet tea but to do it properly it needs to be mixed hot.

As a "Southerner" I would call this the list I find most accurate. I'd barely consider Virginia southern but definitely not WV, KY, DE, or MO. If it gets truly cold then it's impossible to be part of the South.

Lifelong Texan here and I think of "The South" as any state that was considered part of the Confederacy (the green states on the PP's map); *BUT* Texas is still different from the other Southern states and is really on its own - not really South but not really West either.

I should add to the sweet/unsweet tea discussion that I almost never heard of sweet tea being served in a restaurant here in Texas until I was an adult. However, I had plenty of relatives that made tea the Southern way at home by adding a gargantuan amount of sugar while the tea was still hot, then serving it over ice. My Aunt Tootie made the best sweet tea ever (at least when I was 7-12 YO I thought so); almost syrup it was so sweet and their well water made it taste even better! And yes, "sweet tea" is a totally different thing than "tea sweetened after being chilled".

Now it is unusual to order tea in a restaurant and not be asked "sweet or unsweet?".

I would agree with your definition with the inclusion of Kentucky if we are talking entire states. However, I think that the Southern culture extends further north than that. For example, southern IL is much more similar in culture to "the south" than it is to the rest of IL and further north.

Absolutely! I was going to say "anything south of St. Louis."