Menu

Sonlight revoked my heirloom status.

I just feel like complaining, and if I do it there, they'll probably delete my post. I've been a Sonlight customer since 2001, and I've had "heirloom" status for years -- what that got me was forum access and a 10% discount on all purchases. All of a sudden, even though my badges still show heirloom, their system won't give me the discount. Their answer is, "prove how many Cores you've purchased." Huh?

Thanks. I just needed to whine about it. Feel better now. :001_smile:

I just feel like complaining, and if I do it there, they'll probably delete my post. I've been a Sonlight customer since 2001, and I've had "heirloom" status for years -- what that got me was forum access and a 10% discount on all purchases. All of a sudden, even though my badges still show heirloom, their system won't give me the discount. Their answer is, "prove how many Cores you've purchased." Huh?

So you asked them about it and that was their reply? I recall reading others having problems with repurchase discounts getting the same answer. Another reason I left Sonlight...

Wow, best keep those invoices.

Wow. Stellar company there. I keep wanting to like Sonlight enough to use it but then I keep reading stories like this. I wonder if they know how many people that turns off of their company. Also, their mushy gushy stories they email me all the time really annoy me. I need to unsub from their email list. :p

Wow. From what I've read about them over the years, it would appear their service philosophy is "the customer can go to hell."

Exactly. I wanted to love them- but after buying almost every core ig they sell and many many books, math programs etc- they only alienated me with their lack of customer service. Now, I just won't buy from them.

It makes me glad that I never went with Sonlight in the first place. I wanted something rigorous for my daughter (back when she was homeschooling) and A LOT of the books used in the upper cores are WAY below grade average so I went with something else.

One of the main reasons I left Sonlight (after only being a client for 2 years) was their customer service...or lack thereof.

I also didn't like the way they kept you on tenderhooks wondering about their curriculum redesigns and then giving you only a 2 week window to order the soon-to-be-outdated products....

Huh? Isn't the point of heirloom status that you are a valued customer for life?? I have heirloom status too, but I got annoyed enough with their philosophies that I decided I won't be purchasing from them ever again.

Interesting. What does your customer account record show? It should be right there when you log in.

Although I use SL, I have my issues with the direction I see the company heading and some of their marketing/planning decision. But I have never found customer service to be lacking.

Wow. Stellar company there. I keep wanting to like Sonlight enough to use it but then I keep reading stories like this. I wonder if they know how many people that turns off of their company. Also, their mushy gushy stories they email me all the time really annoy me. I need to unsub from their email list. :p

I have never purchased from them, I did unsubscribe from the email list because of the story emails!

I have a friend who was loving them for about two years, and then it all went south. She has also said their boards were not helpful in helping her make decisions, as many posts sound like adverts, as opposed to helpful discussion of what actually works.

Edited by LibraryLover

Wow, best keep those invoices.

Oh I was thinking this very thought.

I'm disappointed to hear so many issues with the CS, I didn't have issues with it, but that means nothing. I know so many people struggled with the WP CS too & I had no issues there either.

I'm shocked they told you to prove it though considering all your badges are showing up. The badges are linked directly to your account so it's obviously registering somewhere in their system that you are an Heirloom customer.. I think they need IT guys. I know a really fantastic one who wouldn't even have their website down for DAYS for a measly upgrade. :lol: Sorry I've gotten a little off track now.

I actually dislike SL intensely on a personal level but this sounds like a simple glitch. Go in your account and copy your order history and email Judy (who is supposedly customer champion but actually is a total witch.)

Have you called them? emailed? This is a simple fix.

Or just bash them all over the net. I can endorse that too.;)

I think the product itself is sub par, esp in the upper level cores. Core 6/ G was the worst thing I ever saw. A a bunch of dreary old books which none of us wanted to read. And if I had to read about one more dang dog going missing...

I don't know. Like I said, I remember several very long-time users/well-known posters being told that they couldn't have the repurchase discount. Apparently, during one of their many system upgrades, purchases made before x year got dumped and they don't trust people to tell them the truth.

I don't know. Like I said, I remember several very long-time users/well-known posters being told that they couldn't have the repurchase discount. Apparently, during one of their many system upgrades, purchases made before x year got dumped and they don't trust people to tell them the truth.

This. I WAS a long time SL customer, but no more. I had heirloom status (made my first purchase in 2001, 2 full cores that year and MANY more). My records could not be located and I was told by SL to prove my status with receipts. I had not saved the receipts and POOF (yeah I'm going there) I lost my HL status.

SL started to irk me years ago when they had a rant about how if you have a child spending a ridiculous amount of time on say, music, they weren't going to get a full education in! Oh wait, and then they came out their their 4 day core a bit later. I can't have been the only one that wanted more that just reading in my child's life...

Nope, that's why I left.

OP, that's more than a little ridiculous considering that they should have all that info at their fingertips. :glare:

Well, they ticked me off as soon as I got their catalog years ago with their 10 Reasons Why We Are Superior and All You Inferior People Shouldn't Use Our Curriculum.....wait, that's not what they call the list is it.....oh,well, that's how I remember it (and I happen to be in line with most of their beliefs, but I don't like to see others put down for having differing opinions. It also seems like a foolish business practice). Then again, at least they were up front about their attitude.

This. I WAS a long time SL customer, but no more. I had heirloom status (made my first purchase in 2001, 2 full cores that year and MANY more). My records could not be located and I was told by SL to prove my status with receipts. I had not saved the receipts and POOF (yeah I'm going there) I lost my HL status.

:rofl:

I this is to be expected, from an author who has NEVER ACTUALLY HSED A HIGH SCHOOLER!!!! They don't point out in their literature any more that they stuck all their kids back in the system at the high school level...

:confused: I did not know that. I've been looking at every high school level curricula out there lately. SL makes a good case for a well-rounded hs education through their curricula. They present themselves as having expertise at the hs level. I know I'd have to do a lot of editing to make it work, but I wasn't looking at the whole shebang, more at parts and pieces. If the authors haven't ever actually homeschooled a high-schooler, then... well... what is the point?

:confused: I did not know that. I've been looking at every high school level curricula out there lately. SL makes a good case for a well-rounded hs education through their curricula. They present themselves as having expertise at the hs level. I know I'd have to do a lot of editing to make it work, but I wasn't looking at the whole shebang, more at parts and pieces. If the authors haven't ever actually homeschooled a high-schooler, then... well... what is the point?

You have to read everything very carefully now before you can find this info on their site. A big thing was made of it temporarily with one of Sarita's singatures not long ago, it brought up the debate about the meaning of "homeschool graduate".

Nope. None of the Holzmann kids were hs'ed through high school. Some of the high school level stuff was written by their daughter Amy; I'm not sure about the rest of it.

This, put together with recent movings towards a much more conservative religious position than I am comfortable with, has led me far away from them. Also the misleading information; for a while Sarita listed her kids as homeschool graduates even though not one had done any high school at home. When she was called on it, she (through Judy) explained that she meant it as (paraphrasing) they had graduated from their home school days into life, even if that was not a high school graduation, and that each was now a productive adult. Ummm. No. Once people pushed back against that, they changed the tag-line.

I didn't realize this either. :glare:

Isn't is about the time John jumps in to defend SL? He used to do that on these boards, and by now, he's surely heard about this thread.

I haven't been on all day, and I'm surprised no one has gotten upset. This is a change from the past too. It's quite a horrible reputation, which they've unfortunately brought upon themselves. Repeatedly.

Isn't is about the time John jumps in to defend SL? He used to do that on these boards, and by now, he's surely heard about this thread.

I haven't been on all day, and I'm surprised no one has gotten upset. This is a change from the past too. It's quite a horrible reputation, which they've unfortunately brought upon themselves. Repeatedly.

I thought he quit running SL ages and ages ago. :confused: I remember threads here about it speculating on what would happen to the company.

This is our first year and we chose Sonlight for many things. But mostly because it seemed easier at the time.

Now I'm all nervous. :blink:

Use it and make your own decision. There are many that have no complaints and just don't voice their opinions. I haven't had any issues with them so far other than placing my dd in the correct core. Everyone will have a different experience.:)

Use it and make your own decision. There are many that have no complaints and just don't voice their opinions. I haven't had any issues with them so far other than placing my dd in the correct core. Everyone will have a different experience.:)

:iagree:

We are returning to Sonlight after taking a 2 year break. No complaints here.

This is our first year and we chose Sonlight for many things. But mostly because it seemed easier at the time.

Now I'm all nervous. :blink:

You'll probably be fine. :grouphug: I never had a problem with SL's customer service, and I loved the first year I used their cores. It was what I needed at the time. Once I got more confident in my abilities, I also started to see what I felt were flaws in SL's philosophies. I don't regret the time I spent with them...I just won't be using them in the future.

I thought he quit running SL ages and ages ago. :confused: I remember threads here about it speculating on what would happen to the company.

Perhaps technically. It's not like John no longer has any connection to the company (as in the way that Jay Wile is no longer connected with Apologia). Sarita is still president, and this is taken from their website.

"John resigned from regular day-to-day operations of Sonlight on April 1, 2008. Since that time, he has been participating more as a company owner-consultant so that he can pursue other projects and brand development, such as Sonlight's umbrella company . . . "

So Sarita runs it now...why do people not like her? She seems sweet to me on videos I've seen. I know she has made a lot of changes to the IG structure, but how has her running the company affected their customer service so dramatically?

It hasn't. Their CS issues go back many, many years (8? 10?). It's a long history.