Menu

Sonlight revoked my heirloom status.

You'll probably be fine. :grouphug: I never had a problem with SL's customer service, and I loved the first year I used their cores. It was what I needed at the time. Once I got more confident in my abilities, I also started to see what I felt were flaws in SL's philosophies. I don't regret the time I spent with them...I just won't be using them in the future.

This was my experience as well. I used both P cores and Core A. I don't regret that time (though I do regret using their Language Arts), but I won't be continuing now that I have a firmer grasp on what I'm doing and what the company is about.

I just wish they could make up their minds about who they want to be and how they want to accomplish that. My head had barely stopped spinning from the Great "Poof" of 2006 when they started in with more changes (like the books they stopped using, with copious explanations, and then started using again, with more copious explanations.)

And this is trivial, I suppose, but it always irked me that SL insisted it was a good thing to buy all the books in a Core, even if you owned a lot of them already, because ... you could give them away for birthday or Christmas presents! Oh, yeah -- give your precious little niece or nephew that brand-new copy of Stone Fox, and prepare for an irate phone call a few weeks later from his mom because the book upset him so much he hasn't stopped crying. :rolleyes:

Use it and make your own decision. There are many that have no complaints and just don't voice their opinions. I haven't had any issues with them so far other than placing my dd in the correct core. Everyone will have a different experience.:)

:iagree: I've used SL since pre-k with my kids and we're getting ready to embark on Core G/6. It's been the best part of our homeschool, and, yes, we do things other than read all day.

I feel sorry for the OP, and hope she is able to get things straightened out, but it has nothing to do with whether you will enjoy the program or not. Honestly, I've rarely dealt with SL as I've almost always bought all my IGs used and then most of my books from Amazon. When I have bought directly from them, I've never had a problem.

For some reason, I think their message boards play a large part in tainting their image and their reputation. I think if they'd shut those down, we wouldn't hear so many complaints. They do seem to make a lot of strategical errors as far as dealing with their customers, but I'm not sure it would be quite the big deal it always is without the SL boards. Obviously, this is just my opinion.

Miniblondes, I hope you have a great year and no regrets!

Lisa

So Sarita runs it now...why do people not like her? She seems sweet to me on videos I've seen. I know she has made a lot of changes to the IG structure, but how has her running the company affected their customer service so dramatically?

I don't think Sarita's leadership has tweaked the customer service (there have been stories of both horrible and wonderful customer service as long as I've been a customer of theirs; since 2001 until this past year).

What has changed under her leadership is the structure and content of the IGs as well as the way the forums are moderated over there. She is bringing in a much more limited type of Christian world view than what they used to be all about.

Changes to the curriculum this past year (debuted in the April 2012 catalog) finally reflect the narrowing world view she'd already brought to the forums; she has been steadily making a LOT of changes. But I don't think the customer service has changed much (except for that now if you email, you get Judy; gone are the days when John or Sarita would write you back, even if you flat out ask to have your email forwarded to them, since their direct email address is not to be found anywhere on the forums or website any longer).

To the OP, and the original issue: it is my understanding that although a person has Heirloom Status, there is still an "expiration date" attached to that. All you have to do is "renew" before that expiration date -- there is NO charge. I don't remember exactly how that is done, perhaps under your user profile.

I've used SL for a long time now, but I've only had to deal with CS a few times (book spines falling apart, a small order lost...). They've always been OK to me.

(now back to the regularly scheduled complaining about SL) :D

To the OP, and the original issue: it is my understanding that although a person has Heirloom Status, there is still an "expiration date" attached to that. All you have to do is "renew" before that expiration date -- there is NO charge. I don't remember exactly how that is done, perhaps under your user profile.

I've used SL for a long time now, but I've only had to deal with CS a few times (book spines falling apart, a small order lost...). They've always been OK to me.

(now back to the regularly scheduled complaining about SL) :D

This is true of the forum access; you do have to "claim" your access, and yes, it's somewhere under User CP, or used to be.

This should NOT be true in the ordering system; the ordering system should automatically give the Heirloom, lifelong 10% discount.

I have never had a problem with Sonlight, and Sonlight's customer service has always been helpful and gracious.

I personally appreciate their new "revised" forums -- there is more discussion about curriculum, and less about chit-chat topics. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

This is true of the forum access; you do have to "claim" your access, and yes, it's somewhere under User CP, or used to be.

This should NOT be true in the ordering system; the ordering system should automatically give the Heirloom, lifelong 10% discount.

Thanks for the correction on that! I knew there was something that had to be re-claimed! I used to go there all the time, but since I've found this place...well...there's just SO much more information here! And I recognize some members here that used to be there ;)

Thanks for the correction on that! I knew there was something that had to be re-claimed! I used to go there all the time, but since I've found this place...well...there's just SO much more information here! And I recognize some members here that used to be there ;)

No problem.

Yea, I used to be over there, but..... (now I'm wracking my brain trying to put together who you are/were....)

Use it and make your own decision. There are many that have no complaints and just don't voice their opinions. I haven't had any issues with them so far other than placing my dd in the correct core. Everyone will have a different experience.:)

:iagree: I've used SL since pre-k with my kids and we're getting ready to embark on Core G/6. It's been the best part of our homeschool, and, yes, we do things other than read all day.

I feel sorry for the OP, and hope she is able to get things straightened out, but it has nothing to do with whether you will enjoy the program or not. Honestly, I've rarely dealt with SL as I've almost always bought all my IGs used and then most of my books from Amazon. When I have bought directly from them, I've never had a problem.

For some reason, I think their message boards play a large part in tainting their image and their reputation. I think if they'd shut those down, we wouldn't hear so many complaints. They do seem to make a lot of strategical errors as far as dealing with their customers, but I'm not sure it would be quite the big deal it always is without the SL boards. Obviously, this is just my opinion.

Miniblondes, I hope you have a great year and no regrets!

Lisa

:iagree: with both posts above. I do think the forums cause a lot of problems. They seem to serve as an amplifier to the companies errors.

:lol::lol::lol: There was another thread below this one, and I just misread this as "Mormons revoked my heirloom status."

:lol: I do this often with thread titles, but never with such eternal consequences!

One of the main reasons I left Sonlight (after only being a client for 2 years) was their customer service...or lack thereof.

I also didn't like the way they kept you on tenderhooks wondering about their curriculum redesigns and then giving you only a 2 week window to order the soon-to-be-outdated products....

Changing their packages all the time was just too much for me. I have enough emotions picking out curriculum I can't afford the emotional rollercoaster waiting on product changes.

Changing their packages all the time was just too much for me. I have enough emotions picking out curriculum I can't afford the emotional rollercoaster waiting on product changes.

:iagree:

An emotional rollercoaster was EXACTLY what it was for me... and I couldn't deal with Sonlight's uncaring attitude that this is what their clients go through every year... waiting on pins on needles every year to see just how much has changed... and then knowing that you only have 2 weeks to purchase old product before its gone forever...

That seemed borderline cruel to me to not at LEAST give your clients a much longer timeframe to purchase old product before discontinuing it forever....

This. I WAS a long time SL customer, but no more. I had heirloom status (made my first purchase in 2001, 2 full cores that year and MANY more). My records could not be located and I was told by SL to prove my status with receipts. I had not saved the receipts and POOF (yeah I'm going there) I lost my HL status.

ARE YOU SERIOUS??? That is HORRIBLE! :(

No problem.

Yea, I used to be over there, but..... (now I'm wracking my brain trying to put together who you are/were....)

No need to wrack your brain any: I was/am 2moosmom over there. I've been on the boards forever (even before the big POOF), but I was/am not a power poster. I pretty much just read there, usually my questions were answered. Most probably never even knew I existed, lol.

I still use the SL cores on my shelves for my younger children, but I don't like the changes in the forums, the focus, the customer service, or the curriculum itself over the last few years. I'm no longer a faithful SL'er and I don't recommend it to others anymore.

I'm very thankful for my SL bookshelves. We've always loved the book choices, even the tear-jerkers, so they suit us. And the books have been a wonderful resource for other programs that we use now. I found I could do TOG for lower and upper grammar, all four years, without buying any books at all, between my SL library, my local library, and online free book sites such as Project Gutenberg or the Baldwin Project.

:iagree:

An emotional rollercoaster was EXACTLY what it was for me... and I couldn't deal with Sonlight's uncaring attitude that this is what their clients go through every year... waiting on pins on needles every year to see just how much has changed... and then knowing that you only have 2 weeks to purchase old product before its gone forever...

That seemed borderline cruel to me to not at LEAST give your clients a much longer timeframe to purchase old product before discontinuing it forever....

:iagree: the yearly drama is absolutely ridiculous. I felt so silly over how worked up we'd all get.

I still use the SL cores on my shelves for my younger children, but I don't like the changes in the forums, the focus, the customer service, or the curriculum itself over the last few years. I'm no longer a faithful SL'er and I don't recommend it to others anymore.

I'm very thankful for my SL bookshelves. We've always loved the book choices, even the tear-jerkers, so they suit us. And the books have been a wonderful resource for other programs that we use now. I found I could do TOG for lower and upper grammar, all four years, without buying any books at all, between my SL library, my local library, and online free book sites such as Project Gutenberg or the Baldwin Project.

This has been our experience as well. I snagged Core 3 and 4 super cheap and was gifted (without all of the books) Core k, 1, and 2.

It has made TOG awesome for my family right now as I have not had to really make any additional purchases. I also use SOTW with TOG.....which I already owned.

Well, fwiw, you might want to check out my thread! I'm a big old bad returner and if I return this last shipment, I can no longer order.

My fault for returning too much, but it really surprised me that they would ban me.

I'm prayed up and moving on!;)

homemama

I bought a core from them the first time around, back in 2002.

After that, I learned that it was much less expensive to make my own!

I found Core IGs at used book sales (usually for less than $15) and just found the books I needed.

I put together each core for around $100 - $150.

I thought about using it for my 3rd grader last year for 2nd grade (I've since loaned my Core 2 to someone else who loaned it to someone else, etc.)...anywho for the Core, Science & Math it was $850!!!!! Yikes!!

No way would I pay their prices for new products.

I bought a core from them the first time around, back in 2002.

After that, I learned that it was much less expensive to make my own!

I found Core IGs at used book sales (usually for less than $15) and just found the books I needed.

I put together each core for around $100 - $150.

I thought about using it for my 3rd grader last year for 2nd grade (I've since loaned my Core 2 to someone else who loaned it to someone else, etc.)...anywho for the Core, Science & Math it was $850!!!!! Yikes!!

No way would I pay their prices for new products.

No, it couldn't have been $700 more. The back of the catalog tells us how much it will cost if we put it together ourselves, and it says we are better off just buying it from them. You must have put it together wrong! :tongue_smilie:

No, it couldn't have been $700 more. The back of the catalog tells us how much it will cost if we put it together ourselves, and it says we are better off just buying it from them. You must have put it together wrong! :tongue_smilie:

:smilielol5:

Used book sales are the secret joy of every homeschooler!

Ahhh, Sonlight. I'm a very, very longtime user. I had to separate the program from the company -- from thinking about Sarita or the new catalogs or teasers or the "customer champion" or the forums -- I could go on and on about any of those and how the whole thing "ain't yo' mama's Sonlight!" In other words, so much NOT what it used to be with John running the show.

I have lost respect for them as a company in so many ways -- especially the fact that yes, they never homeschooled a highschooler, and yes, I was the one who pointed that out how Sarita said she had 4 "graduates" on the website. My dislike became so much stronger when Amy whined on the forum that we were all out to get the company and it was so unfair that Sonlight was the first company to promote a literature-based curriculum and the rest were all just copycats of what they created. (Oh, boohoo -- like homeschoolers do not just read and that the "idea" of having a bunch of books all scheduled out is something they should have copyrighted?!!! Oh, that was a good post -- which was deleted the next day by our friendly customer champion.

I am bugged by the fact that when Sonlight's tail feathers get ruffled, they just delete posts and lock threads and boot people off their forum or just do a forum-wide POOF of EVERYTHING -- How many times has that happened? I can remember 3, I think. Loss of years worth of forum posts. So now they try to protect their egos -- most of the forum threads are not available to the public. So, instead there's nothing there except 4 or 5 people who reply to everyone and pretty much tell the rest of the people to shut up already.

But yeah, I'm still a closet user. Those new IG's though? Never. Gosh, they are so gaggy compared to the old John-stuff. Twice as many pages with a bunch of stress-inducing stuff you don't want to do. So many pages of Say this: . . . . (Your child answers this: . . . ) Gack. It was never that way long ago. My first core 3 from 1996 was just -- get this -- a scheduled book list -- no vocab, no questions, just a few John's notes on his reasons for NOT using the Light and the Glory series that Sarita has chosen to add back in this year. As I said, "it ain't yo' mama's Sonlight!"

BUT! If you're going to do anything high school, you've got to use the new IG. The old high school IG's were a logistal nightmare.

I am amused to see that so many Sonlight posts are here these days. And as someone said, it's not even March. . . .

Thank you for letting me rant. :tongue_smilie: I think I feel better now.

I really loved using SL with my DS (2, 3, and 6) but it just didn't work out with DD (go figure, right!?!) I WANTED it to work for her because I love the elementary levels. I only purchased from the company a couple of times and had no issues at all with any of my purchases. I only purchased stuff I couldn't find used. I didn't care for the LA and supplemented but that was just me.

However, I really started to dislike the attitude that the staff started displaying on the MB....like many other posters here it bugged me when they came across like as if they were doing the customers a favor by being in existence.

I actually have the Core 7 IG and books and changed this year's curriculum for DS...I don't care for the way the IG is written (maybe because it's older?)

I just was really disappointed when the attitude of the company shifted...they seem to be disconnected from their customers and really don't care.

I just wish they could make up their minds about who they want to be and how they want to accomplish that. My head had barely stopped spinning from the Great "Poof" of 2006 when they started in with more changes (like the books they stopped using, with copious explanations, and then started using again, with more copious explanations.)

And this is trivial, I suppose, but it always irked me that SL insisted it was a good thing to buy all the books in a Core, even if you owned a lot of them already, because ... you could give them away for birthday or Christmas presents! Oh, yeah -- give your precious little niece or nephew that brand-new copy of Stone Fox, and prepare for an irate phone call a few weeks later from his mom because the book upset him so much he hasn't stopped crying. :rolleyes:

Lol! My son cried after reading This book too----but he is 17 now and shows no signs of permanent damage ;).

We have used SL since 2001 and quite frankly it was the nasty women on the forums that almost made me dump SL!! :glare: We just simply LOVE the lit approach to history, so that is why I still use it to this day. I'm sorry that the OP is having problems like that, and the burden should most definitely be on SL to remedy it. To the poster made nervous by this thread, sL is wonderful curriculum! And the new IG for the younger grades are better than ever!! No company is perfect, so just use the curriculum that works for your family. Life is too short to boycott good curriculum over CS problems of other people. We have used quite a few WP programs over the years---and they were awesome! Even though lots of other people had nightmares getting a complete order....

Ahhh, Sonlight. I'm a very, very longtime user. I had to separate the program from the company -- from thinking about Sarita or the new catalogs or teasers or the "customer champion" or the forums -- I could go on and on about any of those and how the whole thing "ain't yo' mama's Sonlight!" In other words, so much NOT what it used to be with John running the show.

I have lost respect for them as a company in so many ways -- especially the fact that yes, they never homeschooled a highschooler, and yes, I was the one who pointed that out how Sarita said she had 4 "graduates" on the website. My dislike became so much stronger when Amy whined on the forum that we were all out to get the company and it was so unfair that Sonlight was the first company to promote a literature-based curriculum and the rest were all just copycats of what they created. (Oh, boohoo -- like homeschoolers do not just read and that the "idea" of having a bunch of books all scheduled out is something they should have copyrighted?!!! Oh, that was a good post -- which was deleted the next day by our friendly customer champion.

I am bugged by the fact that when Sonlight's tail feathers get ruffled, they just delete posts and lock threads and boot people off their forum or just do a forum-wide POOF of EVERYTHING -- How many times has that happened? I can remember 3, I think. Loss of years worth of forum posts. So now they try to protect their egos -- most of the forum threads are not available to the public. So, instead there's nothing there except 4 or 5 people who reply to everyone and pretty much tell the rest of the people to shut up already.

But yeah, I'm still a closet user. Those new IG's though? Never. Gosh, they are so gaggy compared to the old John-stuff. Twice as many pages with a bunch of stress-inducing stuff you don't want to do. So many pages of Say this: . . . . (Your child answers this: . . . ) Gack. It was never that way long ago. My first core 3 from 1996 was just -- get this -- a scheduled book list -- no vocab, no questions, just a few John's notes on his reasons for NOT using the Light and the Glory series that Sarita has chosen to add back in this year. As I said, "it ain't yo' mama's Sonlight!"

BUT! If you're going to do anything high school, you've got to use the new IG. The old high school IG's were a logistal nightmare.

I am amused to see that so many Sonlight posts are here these days. And as someone said, it's not even March. . . .

Thank you for letting me rant. :tongue_smilie: I think I feel better now.

Hi Joane! :001_smile: I know how you feel and we keep using SL too!, I NEVER go to the forums anymore but we still love the books we have ;)

• 1 month later...

I loved the idea of the curriculum. I purchased a total of 4 Cores over the years, one of those years complete (science, math, LA..........)

I hated:

The way they handled the forums.

John's pontification(s). Name one; I hated it.

When they sent me a beautiful calendar depicting people of a wide variety of cultures - and then told me to pray that they all "find Jesus".

Denied, Denied, Denied any responsibility for any issue ever about their company, customer service, curriculum, image.

Interesting. What does your customer account record show? It should be right there when you log in.

Although I use SL, I have my issues with the direction I see the company heading and some of their marketing/planning decision. But I have never found customer service to be lacking.

I'm this way. I'm really shocked that they would literally say that to you. I will say the badge mess is well a mess and that part of the website really should have nothing to do with the ordering part of Sonlight. They are 2 separate entities.

Did you contact them by phone or email?

Nope. None of the Holzmann kids were hs'ed through high school. Some of the high school level stuff was written by their daughter Amy; I'm not sure about the rest of it.

This, put together with recent movings towards a much more conservative religious position than I am comfortable with, has led me far away from them. Also the misleading information; for a while Sarita listed her kids as homeschool graduates even though not one had done any high school at home. When she was called on it, she (through Judy) explained that she meant it as (paraphrasing) they had graduated from their home school days into life, even if that was not a high school graduation, and that each was now a productive adult. Ummm. No. Once people pushed back against that, they changed the tag-line.

I almost forgot about that situation. yes it was ridiculous.

I am new to SL this year--- I get it free through my co-op so I could finally afford it:D

I am allowed to be on the forums--- from what I see, their boards are lame.

Is it even worth my time???

If you didn't purchase the materials from SL then you would have to purchase the forum access.

There is some good information in the core forums, but to the long time user at SL the forums are pretty much dead.

If you didn't purchase the materials from SL then you would have to purchase the forum access.

There is some good information in the core forums, but to the long time user at SL the forums are pretty much dead.

Well I am in the forums and I have access for one year. What is the "good" info and where should I look? The format is different from here so I'm not sure how to do a search. Should look for older threads??

I don't want the party line, I want real advice (should I need it, I seem to be trudging along pretty well).

Well I am in the forums and I have access for one year. What is the "good" info and where should I look? The format is different from here so I'm not sure how to do a search. Should look for older threads??

I don't want the party line, I want real advice (should I need it, I seem to be trudging along pretty well).

Go to the core forums of what you are using. If you don't find it tell me and I'll try to link it.

but each core has it's own forum. It is where people share about the books, concerns, questions, Advice/questions on how to implement things, etc. There are also pinned messages at the top that list extra resources people are using.

Go to the core forums of what you are using. If you don't find it tell me and I'll try to link it.

but each core has it's own forum. It is where people share about the books, concerns, questions, Advice/questions on how to implement things, etc. There are also pinned messages at the top that list extra resources people are using.

:iagree: and I always found that using the search function helped me much more than asking questions since a lot of those on the forums now are those with questions as opposed to those able to answer them.

:iagree: and I always found that using the search function helped me much more than asking questions since a lot of those on the forums now are those with questions as opposed to those able to answer them.

this made me snort. I do wonder that sometimes, who is around to answer questions any more.

I use to be one that would help with choosing/and in other core forums. Loved SL and wanted to help others using it. Alas, lost that loving feeling. Rarely answer questions there now a days.

My attitude became they can pay Hannah Keeley to answer them.

BUT on searching you can search just the forum for the core not the whole shebang though too.

Since this has been resurrected and I missed it the first time, I'm going to jump in. :D

I used SL for a few years when ds was little. We did preschool and the first 2 years. I bought my IGs used, and most of the books too. I did order a few things directly from Sonlight. I also belonged to a yahoogroup called Secular Sonlight or something like that - don't even know if it still exists. John used to be in the group, and would post occasionally with helpful suggestions for secularizing SL. Back then they really did want to reach out to many different types of homeschoolers. He gradually posted less and less, until we never heard from him anymore.

Over the years they got more and more religious. Not just religious, but "My way is correct and the only way" religious. It became not worth the trouble, and then I found WTM.

Since this has been resurrected and I missed it the first time, I'm going to jump in. :D

I used SL for a few years when ds was little. We did preschool and the first 2 years. I bought my IGs used, and most of the books too. I did order a few things directly from Sonlight. I also belonged to a yahoogroup called Secular Sonlight or something like that - don't even know if it still exists. John used to be in the group, and would post occasionally with helpful suggestions for secularizing SL. Back then they really did want to reach out to many different types of homeschoolers. He gradually posted less and less, until we never heard from him anymore.

Over the years they got more and more religious. Not just religious, but "My way is correct and the only way" religious. It became not worth the trouble, and then I found WTM.

John use to participate on the SL forums too. He would get into great debates, He brought up some gutsy thought provoking stuff. He'd debate with the best of them, including the atheist but alas, he too posted less and less there too. Lst time he posted was a prayer request about a grandbaby. I think that was close to 2 years ago.

We're from the same SL era, and used it much the same way. I'm kind of sad to see how the great community they had once built has deteriorated with some rather divisive policies. We weren't ever in what it now the target group, and I'd be hesitant to go back.

Wow, that's some extra shiny customer service. :tongue_smilie:

Wow. From what I've read about them over the years, it would appear their service philosophy is "the customer can go to hell."

I agree. I can't even stand their forums. Unless you get an answer from a veteran on one public site, you can't read anything about their programs. And that's assuming someone answered your question on that single thread you posted.

:thumbdown:

Do John and the SL people KNOW what their reputation has become? Or do they just not care? Seems like I'm seeing this all over the place--I'd sure want to address it!

I'm inclined to believe that they do not care to address it. When I stopped using Sonlight, I let them know that I had a number of reasons why I was not happy with their company - I very briefly outlined them but added that I would be happy to speak to a client service representative to provide a more in-depth explanation. Nobody followed up.

Incidentally, that's the 3rd time I've been ignored by them.. so not impressed.

Do John and the SL people KNOW what their reputation has become? Or do they just not care? Seems like I'm seeing this all over the place--I'd sure want to address it!

I don't think they care. They are more concerned with what they think their mission is, and don't care if the people who don't agree with it drop away.