Menu

Not that it is hard for me to find the state of confusion. Who are all these "new' people? I've noticed lots of name changes and then missing avatars. I can't keep up.

I'm not asking for anything or ranting. Just stating aloud my confusion. People are missing and I try to look for them and it is as if they've never existed.

Where is the pouty smiley?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've noticed that too. There are several people I'm missing, but I hate to call them out in case their in hiding for privacy sake. There are couple of others I know don't come here as often.

Exactly!

I'd hate to say 'Where's So-and-So" only to have someone in the know say, "Oh, that is Whozit now." Kinda blows the person's cover.

I doubt I'm one of the ones you are trying to find. :tongue_smilie:

But you might be. I won't ask who you were in your previous incarnation.

Not that I'm looking for anyone in particular. There are a bunch of people missing.

Edited by Parrothead

Yeah, I can think of a lot of people that I haven't seen around in a long time. I wonder if something happened. If I missed a great thread where they got banned. Or if I am just not in the know about a name change. :confused:

Oh well. Thinking of you, mystery people. Wherever you are. ;)

Yeah, I can think of a lot of people that I haven't seen around in a long time. I wonder if something happened. If I missed a great thread where they got banned. Or if I am just not in the know about a name change. :confused:

Oh well. Thinking of you, mystery people. Wherever you are. ;)

And summer. I thought a lot of people were missing due to it being summer vacation. We tend to lose a people for a few weeks at a time during summer.

I was. When I say you were the last person to reply on the GB I said to myself, "At least Quill is still herself." :D

Aww, yay! I was missed!

Yeah. Wildcat and Pencil Pusher too. And another person with letters/numbers for a name.

I can figure out who some people used to be, but not everyone. There are people that I miss, but I don't want to call anyone out.

Chucki, if you disappear while making your off the grid homestead, I will miss you. And Quill, you are my tie to home.

Maybe it is just summer, and they're avoiding this. Sometimes people need a break. Maybe you put them on your ignore list and forgot they were there? ;) I know where I am. It is the best I can do most of the time.

I'm too nosy to have people on my ignore list. :D

Not that it is hard for me to find the state of confusion. Who are all these "new' people? I've noticed lots of name changes and then missing avatars. I can't keep up.

I'm not asking for anything or ranting. Just stating aloud my confusion. People are missing and I try to look for them and it is as if they've never existed.

Where is the pouty smiley?

I tend to "see" the person posting as the picture in their avatar. So, for example, when I read one of your posts, the picture I have in my head isn't one of a woman about my age sitting at a computer typing- it's "Chucki, the big green parrot." So when people change their avatars frequently, it does take me a while to "catch up" and remember who it is that's posting! And when folks change both screen name and avatar for privacy- and I completely understand the need to do this!- I get really lost! Go ahead.....call me crazy!

I can figure out who some people used to be, but not everyone. There are people that I miss, but I don't want to call anyone out.

:iagree:

I find myself... I don't know. Annoyed isn't the right word, so I guess it is confused, but a frustrated confused (and, I'll admit, sometimes an eye-rolling confused :tongue_smilie:). When I took a giant board break from 2010-2011, I mistakenly had my account closed because I didn't get that I couldn't just sign back up again with my old user name without a problem. Turns out the powers that be couldn't reinstate my account (so I lost my post count! :nopity:). They did tell me I could come back as Alte Veste Academy or change to a different user name, but the latter felt dishonest somehow. It felt bizarre to think of coming back on here as someone else, presenting myself as new. I don't know. This is a weird world, the boards...

The most recent change of name threw me a bit since the person retained their fairly high post count and yet I was sure I had not seen the name before.:001_smile:

Yep. I don't even remember the poster I looked up last but it didn't take long to figure out who they were before the name change. It can be so weird to see someone you don't know at all post something that sounds so familiar, like they are someone you do know, and they have this huge post count. And you're thinking how in the world did that happen? I've never even "seen" you before! :001_huh: And then you figure out what's happened and think you know who they are... All you have to do if they retain their post count is to look at their old posts to figure out who they are...

Exactly!

I'd hate to say 'Where's So-and-So" only to have someone in the know say, "Oh, that is Whozit now." Kinda blows the person's cover.

Yeah, bad idea, eh? I went ahead and edited my post. You quoted me, though, so if you want to edit yours, maybe my bad idea won't spread. :tongue_smilie:

Maybe you can ask on the FB group?

There's a FB group?

Heavens, the entire board is missing, as far as I'm concerned. I wandered off for several weeks, and you're all up to fancy new things, even those of you with familiar avatars and names. I feel like I should go check for pods.

I'm c:001_huh:nfused too and noticed a few signature lines of new members mentioning long time member...

Yes, I saw that too, in several signatures.

BTW, I had several pm's in my inbox from a member who changed her name. Imagine my confusion when I opened my inbox. 'I'm having a conversation with WHO??????? Where are my pms from ...what happened???' :lol:

I was. When I say you were the last person to reply on the GB I said to myself, "At least Quill is still herself." :D

I am still myself. No need for the coy little name-switch tricks for me. I'm not that into the covert operations of the board anyway. :tongue_smilie:

I find myself... I don't know. Annoyed isn't the right word, so I guess it is confused, but a frustrated confused (and, I'll admit, sometimes an eye-rolling confused :tongue_smilie:). When I took a giant board break from 2010-2011, I mistakenly had my account closed because I didn't get that I couldn't just sign back up again with my old user name without a problem. Turns out the powers that be couldn't reinstate my account (so I lost my post count! :nopity:). They did tell me I could come back as Alte Veste Academy or change to a different user name, but the latter felt dishonest somehow. It felt bizarre to think of coming back on here as someone else, presenting myself as new. I don't know. This is a weird world, the boards...

Yep. I don't even remember the poster I looked up last but it didn't take long to figure out who they were before the name change. It can be so weird to see someone you don't know at all post something that sounds so familiar, like they are someone you do know, and they have this huge post count. And you're thinking how in the world did that happen? I've never even "seen" you before! :001_huh: And then you figure out what's happened and think you know who they are... All you have to do if they retain their post count is to look at their old posts to figure out who they are...

:iagree:I feel the same way about the first bolded above. That's no secret. And to the second bolded above: It's a bit of a joke since it's so obvious, but some do seem to need their disingenuous games so.

I really don't get it. I thought people weren't allowed to change their names, but it seems like there are so many now. I don't like it. It confuses me and frustrates me and I don't like change.

I really don't get it. I thought people weren't allowed to change their names, but it seems like there are so many now. I don't like it. It confuses me and frustrates me and I don't like change.

I'm sure I read the bolded somewhere in a comment or sticky from the mods sometime back. Either way, it definitely changes my opinion of a person when they pull the switcheroo.

I'm sure I read the bolded somewhere in a comment or sticky from the mods sometime back. Either way, it definitely changes my opinion of a person when they pull the switcheroo.

From the Board Rules:

Choose your Username Carefully

If we respond to username change requests, we do so at a snail's pace. Don't be surprised if it takes more than 6 months, if at all. We strongly suggest you do not include your location or the number of children you have in your username as those things tend to change.

I thought that was one of the benefits of switching to this format. I just don't understand why there are so many.

Guest submarines
It would be a crime for you to ever change your name! :lol: It's the most awesome board name ever! :D

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Guest submarines

I don't mind. People have reasons, all kind of reasons. What's the big deal?

I'm also too lazy to try to figure out who is who. I noticed recently a new user name with a huge post count, and went :confused: for a fraction of a second. I wouldn't be able to recall what that user name was. And to search for the matching post count, somehow? I waste too much time on this board already to try anything like that. :lol:

Though of course if someone wants to PM me and remind me who has a new user name with a huge post count....:001_huh:

:lol:

I cannot keep it straight, to start with, so leaving and coming back, short break or long, it's all the same to ditzy me. I remember a picture (avatar.) Maybe a name will stick in my brain. Lori D. is very wise and helpful. A couple of people mention places so I know they live near me. I have huge admiration for so very many people on here. I get peeved with others. I wish I'd thought up some witty, representative name for myself, rather than just my boring initials, but I thought it was against the rules to change names.

Now, let me start working on something that makes me sound smart, witty, interesting, fun, accomplished.....oops, that would be a lie. Maybe I'll stay me, too.

Mine was changed eons ago (in board years). At the time I pm'ed the entire universe to tell who I was, except for the stalker, obviously. If I missed you or you forgot, anyone, please pm me, but you might not want to bother because many people have told me I'm much more memorable now than I was under the old identity. (Well, one person said "notorious" but I took her to mean "memorable.") So you'd probably say, "Huh. I don't remember _____ at all."