Menu

Does your highschooler know what s/he wants to major in?

I'm just curious how many middle and high school students have a realistic idea of what they want to major in in college and then go on to do afterward?

DS starts high school next year and his only answer to anything relating to the future or college is SPORTS! Player, sportscaster, owner, manager, trainer, journalist etc. He doesn't care as long as it's sports related. :glare: Sometimes I wish he would just say, "mom, I want to be a history teacher" or veterinarian or something like that. It would make planning a lot simpler. :tongue_smilie: As it is he may as well just say president of Namibia because I don't have a clue where to go with "sports."

My oldest really figured it out her freshman year.

Middle dd is going into her freshman year and knows what field (math) but not what her career goals are yet. We will spend this year exploring, but I also feel pretty comfortable that she has it narrowed enough to finish picking specifics in college.

Many of the boys in my co-op classes have wanted sports jobs. Some are MUCH more realistic goals than others. :D I would start with a career assessment, as well as some books/websites on sports careers.

We did a lot of career/interest work with dd her freshman year. It was a great time for it, because it helped us focus her high school work, and she wasn't so busy yet that we couldn't spend the time.

Yes.

For years DD wanted to major in biology; now her focus has shifted slightly, and she is planning a double major in physics and biology.

DS is expressing an interest in physics and computer science.

Both would like to be authors, but are aware that they need a day job to pay the bills.

My ds told me out of the blue this past spring that he wanted to major in history and creative writing so that he can be a historical fiction novelist. This really suits him compared to his old aspirations as a famous rap star, military commando, game tester, policeman.

From motherly observation, I can see one in engineering or accounting (detail-oriented, math type) and one in the arts (visually oriented). They both think that hanging out at home, eating Mom's cooking would be a great adult pursuit, but I disagree :glare:.

I'm sympathetic to how hard it is. DH and I have both had a lot of jobs over the years, and neither of us are spending the majority of our professional time in the field we trained for now. Going through Covey Training 17 years ago helped me see that I was truly unhappy doing what I was at that time, and I'm glad to say that I was able to retool and redirect to the focus I have now without too much trouble. But I had gone through a very thorough career planning program in college that seemed right at the time. I changed though, and my values matured. So I changed careers. It happens.

That said, I believe in getting a solid college degree in something you're suited for and enjoy, and then you figure the rest out as you go...

Edited by GVA

My son knew he wanted to go into health sciences... in 10th grade he wanted to work for the BAU /FBI (all those Criminal Minds episodes rubbed off on him!) :D In 11th grade he started focusing on sports management/exercise physiology, and considered becoming a physical therapist. In 12th grade he started thinking about nursing - nurse anesthetist, to be exact. He shadowed a physical therapist, an orthopaedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine, and a family nurse practitioner in a private practice setting. He loved the variety of work that nurses do. He just finished his freshman year in college and can't wait to get started on his clinicals in 2 months!

Knowing that he loves the sciences, I made sure he had a strong math background, and in high school science we did: Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, & Advanced Biology (Human Anatomy) through Apologia. They served him well. He earned solid A's in his science classes in college. He loves psychology, so I also had him do Sonlight's Psychology course in 12th grade. We both loved it!

After he was accepted to the college of his choice, we focused on the list of required courses for his nursing major. Realizing how many college credits he could get out of the way, he spent the spring/summer between high school and college lifeguarding and "studying his brains out" for more CLEP exams. He CLEP'd out of Sociology, Psychology, Both semesters of History of Civ, Analyzing and Interpreting Lit, English Lit, and Human Growth & Development. 21 college credits - bam! It was awesome.

My daughter is very interested in musical theater. Sigh. Completely different ball game. Very few people with drama degrees end up with paying jobs. There are so many talented people and so few jobs in this field! I will keep you posted....

My 14 year old (9th grader this year) wants to major in computer science, she also has a related interest in robotics. This has been her goal since 7th grade, we'll see if it changes before she actually gets to college (I dont think so, it fits her well but you never know).

My DS17 wants to major in mechincal engineering. He hasn't changed his mind since 5th grade. Well, that is not exactly true. After a visit to Virginia Tech this year, he thought about Engineering Science and Mechanics for a while. He is an old soul, though.

Oldest dd has wanted to be a nurse for years. she started and runs an outreach to a local nursing home where they go in bi-monthly and do a presentation of singing, instruments, etc. and have a snack and visit. She's even picked out the college she wants, we'll see as we get closer how it all pans out :D

Ds wants to be an architect, but the college costs have him a bit daunted :blink:

Ds #1 - 15.5 has been very interested in Archaeology, however he has a huge aptitude for computer programming. He is leaning towards attending MTU and getting his computer software engineering degree with a minor in history and filling his electives with some anthropology and archaeology courses.

Ds#2 - Zoology. He will be 14 in September and already has his list of potential schools narrowed down to 10 with a short list of 6 that he dearly wants to visit. MSU is a very likely place for him to land because they are one of the few schools that still offers a zoology emphasis in the biology major and has undergrad research options in zoology. He wants a master's and PH.D; herpetology is his goal.

Ds#3 - double majors in math and aerospace engineering and minor in chemistry. He's just turned 12 and has set his sights on MIT, with "safety schools" of Embry Riddle (sheesh ds, that is not one would call a SAFETY school), Georgia Tech, and U of Alabama, Huntsville, and U of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He'll very, very easily have the stats for U of A and U of M with merit money, so I've tried to explain to him that these are his "fall back" schools and they are tier 1 uni's with great reputations so they aren't exactly "safeties" either, but his heart is so bent on getting into MIT, that he'd be just "okay" with Embry Riddle (honestly, I think it's just about as bad to get into as MIT) and would consider Georgia Tech to be "barely acceptable". I worry about his attitude. Places like MIT and Embry Riddle are so crazily competitive that it's practically a game of roulette. I hope that by the time he is 18, he'll have figured out that his self-esteem had better not be wrapped up in the college admission's game!

DD (21) knew it would be medicine and chemistry from the time she was 15. She's half way through her chem/pre-med degree and working as a paramedic.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor
spelling

Teen #2 (dd) has known for years that she wants to work with animals...she has plans to attend a local CC and get a veterinary assistant diploma and then open a boarding/grooming business.

Ds#2 - Zoology. He will be 14 in September and already has his list of potential schools narrowed down to 10 with a short list of 6 that he dearly wants to visit. MSU is a very likely place for him to land because they are one of the few schools that still offers a zoology emphasis in the biology major and has undergrad research options in zoology. He wants a master's and PH.D; herpetology is his goal.

Now see, THESE are the kinds of children I can work with... animal nuts. :D Or... you know... at least REALISTICALLY focused. LOL

Edited by contessa20

Two boys here, and no, neither really knew in middle school, nor all through high school. Of the 2 dozen homeschool peers they are closest to, I'd say only about 4 have had very clear ideas of what they want to do when they started high school; maybe as many as half began to get an idea of what whey wanted to do, or could tolerate doing, along about age 16-17; and I'd say at least 25% (probably more like 50%!!) still didn't REALLY know or feel passionate about their post-high school path as of graduation.

Our DSs are 20yo and almost 19yo, and are at the community college tentatively working towards 2-year degrees. My own experience: I changed my major 3 times in college and so it took me 5 years to get a BA, and probably about 21-22yo before I had narrowed down the area I was most interested in -- and, like a previous poster, I still have changed fields several times since graduation and not needed that BA (it was just a "general Fine Arts" degree).

It's great if kids know early on, but lots don't. My suggestion for middle school and high school years:

- don't worry

- participate in lots of volunteer and extracurriculars to see "what's out there" and to pick up lots of interesting skills and interests

- do some career testing and exploration along about 11th and 12th grades (see this past post for lots of career exploration links, and this past post for ideas on career exploration)

If your student still doesn't know what they want to do at high school graduation, go for a gap year; let them work for a year or two; or consider having them get a certification or 2-year degree that could be a "fall-back" plan if necessary. But at age 12?? Frankly, it always surprises me when kids that young DO know very clearly what they want to do! :)

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

My oldest (almost 14) says he plans to study biomedical engineering. He's always been interested in medicine, and recently he's been more interested in medical devices than in medicine itself.

Dsd 13 wants to be a kindergarten teacher, and Dd 12 changes her mind too often to keep track of. :)

Suggest sports medicine. ;)

Suggest sports medicine. ;)

I did actually, but I knew that he wouldn't go for it. He hates math and doesn't think he wants to do anything in the science field, mostly because it's so closely related to math. :001_smile:

My oldest daughter has known for many years she wanted to go into engineering. She's currently applying to chemical engineering and materials engineering programs.

We consider career exploration to be a big part of a high school education. We've spent a lot of time exploring careers, finances and life skills over the course of the last few years.

I honestly don't care what my kids major in, but my goal is to ensure that they have as much information as possible in order to make an informed decision about their future. They also need to know realistically what our cost of living is and how to manage finances, because that's a key part of being able to make career choice decisions.

In 10th grade, my dd was a NASA Inspire Program participant, which had a big career exploration component. This year, she participated in a Leadership Institute scholarship program for women in STEM careers, and had the opportunity to meet some amazing, successful women.

This summer, she attended Michigan Tech's Women in Engineering program, where she lived on campus, and worked in the labs on two chemical engineering projects. She also had opportunities to explore other fields of engineering, and talk with faculty, students and women working in those fields.

All those experiences have been invaluable in giving her information to make her own informed decisions.

Yes. Mine wants to do engineering. This is not a huge suprise, in our family of engineers. He's been building things ever since he figured out how to make his hands work. It does make it easier. He has wanted to do other things at various times, but when he was 13 or 14 he suddenly noticed that what his father did all day for pay looked an awful lot like what he did for fun lol and that was the end of that.

Nan

My high school senior has a general idea - something in the engineering realm :)

I think he would be excellent in materials science, but he seems to think petroleum or nuclear. Is it a coincidence that his oldest brother just graduated with a petroleum degree and his next brother is majoring in nuclear :). My oldest didn't figure it out until February of his senior year and DS#2 is switching from mechanical to nuclear as a college sophomore.

DS#4 is all over the place about majors. He's going into 11th.

Maybe I just have late bloomers :). But from what I've seen, very few young men know exactly what they want to do before they hit high school and of those in high school, few know before their senior year.

My youngest isn't quite sure yet but maybe something like robotics engineering or mechanical engineering. Right now, her plan is to go to a certain college for physics degree and then to an engineering school for an masters in engineering. She is just about to start 10th and so we will see.

She was kind of fighting the engineering thing until she went to an all girl's engineering and physics camp this month and finally met girls like her. It has changed her perspective completely and now she is embracing her talents.

Heading into ninth grade, my daughter was interested in doing something in the arts. By eleventh grade, she had decided to major in Latin. She'll be starting her senior year in college soon (egads! where does the time go?) and is majoring in Latin/Classics and minoring in Geology. Her current long term goal is to become a librarian, but she's thinking of teaching English in Korea for a year or two or ... before pursuing an advanced degree.

Regards,

Kareni

My ds has a general direction. It's still foggy, but it's been in formation for several years. I see language, either computer or foreign language as his focus. Probably in the more artistic side, maybe graphic design or gaming. He's probably more interested in studying foreign language in college.

He expressed an interest in developing his own independent gaming company the other day. That created an interesting conversation. :D

My dd is 17, a rising senior and knows what she wants to major in: music! :)

When she was two I predicted that when she declared her major in college, by golly, that's what she would graduate w/ a degree in. (Terrbile grammar, but ykwim!) I wonder if that will come true.

Teen #2 (dd) has known for years that she wants to work with animals...she has plans to attend a local CC and get a veterinary assistant diploma and then open a boarding/grooming business.

professionally I would recommend that your daughter get a veterinary technician degree instead of an assistant degree. it will hold a lot more status in the field as well as pay better(well if our jobs actually paid okay;)) and she could use it in a larger variety of settings if something fell through with her other plan.

I would never expect that most 13 yr olds have the clarity to choose a college major. (Although I know others, and even other countries disagree.) I had one who was an artist from the first time she touched a crayon, but I wouldn't say that is the norm.

I'd try not to worry. Give him a well-rounded education at this point. My dh didn't even declare a major until he was a college sophomore, and it all worked out. :)

If your dc is that committed to something in sports--and he seems to have a wide range of interests- I would go with that some. Make sure he has lots of experience with writing, and have him read lots of sports reports if he is considering journalism. Maybe have him do some volunteer work at an animal climic if he is thinking sports medicine. I know a dog or cat is not a human, but there is blood and gore and poop. Make sure he has several science courses as a high school student.

Try not to worry what a 13 yr old might want to choose as a college major. Do history, math, science etc., and let him grow. It's OK.

I'm just curious how many middle and high school students have a realistic idea of what they want to major in in college and then go on to do afterward?

DS starts high school next year and his only answer to anything relating to the future or college is SPORTS! Player, sportscaster, owner, manager, trainer, journalist etc. He doesn't care as long as it's sports related. :glare: Sometimes I wish he would just say, "mom, I want to be a history teacher" or veterinarian or something like that. It would make planning a lot simpler. :tongue_smilie: As it is he may as well just say president of Namibia because I don't have a clue where to go with "sports."

Edited by LibraryLover

My oldest changed her mind from education to engineering between the 3rd and 4th quarters of her senior year. If she had decided sooner, she would have gone to a different college; instead, she is going to transfer after two years. I told her from ninth grade on that she should think about engineering... if she had just listened to me! lol.

My junior wants to major in creative writing and theater. She wants to be a writer for sure and an editor maybe. I don't want her to go into debt for a writing major, and we can't afford to pay cash for college, so I'm not sure how it will all work out. We've talked about majoring in something with more potential for paying the bills and minoring in writing.

My oldest (16- home school) is thinking about Psychology right now...I don't know though, she gets a little frustrated when people don't do what she thinks they should lol. She has also considered being a Dietitian. Honestly, I think she should do music- but she tells me that's her fall back on plan haha. Busking her way through University.

DD 2 (15- public school) want to be a surgeon, for 2 years now. The only thing that's been optional is field, although she is very interested in genetics too, so we'll see, things change. I can see her as a surgeon. She is very artistic and detail oriented. At first I couldn't reconcile the artistic talents with surgeon, but it actually goes together in a weird sort of way. She's on a STEM path so doors are open anyway.

I have an 8th grader so not exactly sure what direction she will head (I am sure it will change many times over the next few years), but she has a talent for art so it will probably be something related to that...graphic design, game design, jewelry design, maybe writing or web design. She also has a love for animals so I could see her doing something in that direction. In fact I mentioned to her one day that maybe we should start a pet sitting service and she was really excited about it. One thing is for certain, my dd would prefer to avoid going to college (or least the typical 4 year college) if at all possible. I can see her training at a technical school, community college, or maybe online. She also has an entrepreneurial attitude so I could see her going into something where she has her own business.

My ds is the one that doesn't have a clue--the world is just so full of interesting things!

This describes my Ds exactly. Interested in everything and not happy when asked to try to pick a focus.

Both my kids have tons of interests, but there have always been one or two areas that were more prominent. With ET1, those areas are Anthropology & medicine. Anthropology is more likely to be a hobby, though. ET1 has always wanted to do some kind of medicine - nurse, doctor, vet. At this point, ET1 is planning on a double major. We have a couple of years before college, though, so it might change, but I doubt it will change much (maybe from double major to major in vet & minor in Anth.). ET2 is planning on a career in Anthropology or Archaeology, has been for several years. However, ET2 is still in elementary, so that may change.

Ds who is almost 20 wanted to be a military pilot for the longest time and studied everything he could get his hands on about airplanes. Less than stellar eyesight nixed the pilot career and his desire to pursue aeronautics or the military. During his high school years, he loved and excelled at theater, both plays and musicals. He would love to go to school for theater arts but has not done so because he is concerned about the potentially limited job opportunities. Now his plan is to major in business with a marketing emphasis.

17yo dd has always been about art - drawing, painting, computer-based projects, photography. Her plan is to major in Digital Media Art and see where that takes her. She is also one with a long list of all the things she wants to do and wonders how she will fit it all in!

15yo twin is a hands-on figure-it-out guy. He's our go-to for household mechanical and electronic needs. Can't say for definite at this point, but something in the engineering field would seem a good fit.

The other 15 yo twin isn't sure at this point. When he was younger he was fascinated by weather and particularly natural disasters, but the interest hasn't turned into something he's passionate about. My plan for him at this point is some appitude and career exploration and see if anything stikes a chord in him.

My 15-year-old, straight-A student still plays with Nerf guns. He likes science, but hasn't expressed any majors or career desires (except garbage man when he was 3). :)

Hahahaha! That sounds like DS13. He loves Nerf guns and race cars. He builds elaborate race tracks out of blocks and makes stop-motion videos of cars racing. He never wanted to be a garbage man but when he was little we were SURE he would be a landscaper. He would spend HOURS outside with a toy lawnmower pretending to cut the grass in various patterns. Our neighbors would watch him in awe.

Now he's interested in baseball, Nascar racing, filmmaking/acting, meteorology and WW2 history. As a journaling project last week I asked him, "if you could do ONLY 3 things for the rest of your life (besides eat and sleep) what would they be?" His answers were:

1. Travel around the world
  2. Make movies
  3. Baseball

My oldest has wanted to be a professional surfer for years. Realizing the very few people who manage to make a career of surfing, I want to give him the skills to be able to be a surf coach or to own or manage a surf store or to rep for a surf company. In school he's been able to get some training for surf coach (they have a big p.e./sport department here). I would have loved for him to take some business classes, but that hasn't worked out very well yet. Hopefully we have enough connections that we can help him get a job in the field and he can work his way up.

My second ds wants to be a police detective and go to university with a major in criminology or criminal justice, so I'm just going to try to give him a good, well-rounded high school education. I expect there's a good chance he'll change his mind at some point.