Menu

what new "thing" are you most excited about for this fall?

momma aimee

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a homemade Writer's Workshop with No More "I'm Done!" and Everyday Editing

more inquiry science

a homemade geography/nature of the desert Southwest unit study/field guide project

the next level of MCTLA, Beast Academy, and LoF

the kids starting taekwondo and swim team

SOTW2 (so looking forward to how much DD is going to :001_wub: the time period significantly more than SOTW1 :lol:)

Art Lab for Kids (DD is getting this for her birthday and she's going to love it!)

Most of all though, I'm looking forward to Fall for cooler weather! :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Oh man, everything! I had planned to school through June, but found that I needed a break as much as Miss P did. Now she's doing all-day theater camp, and then we're going on vacation, so we're really off until mid-August. And I'm getting excited about starting back up, which is a good thing I think! :D

Most exciting? Well, our reading list, we have some really great books planned. It's so fun to read and discuss together. I'm looking forward to getting back into MCT Town - I :001_wub: Caesar's English!!!! I'm excited about Math, we're doing Geometry first thing, and we haven't done that together yet (doesn't seem like she did much at ps, either) so we're going to enjoy Beast Academy together. LOF is always fun. Science will be all about biology this year, which is my favorite science. New Latin program, which I'm excited to start. Artist and composer studies, which we haven't done before . . .

Yeah, like I said, pretty much everything!!! :lol:

I'm not horribly excited about my 3rd grader's curricula. I like R&S, AAS, and I'm looking forward to grammar land.

I am excited about my 9th grader's curricula. MUS, ACE geography, EIW, PP, DIVE ICP, and The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study.

I use The Learnables Spanish with both kids and like it.

I'm most excited about mummifying a chicken. :D

Also, the fact that I have two kids who actually really want to learn to read. It's a pretty different situation than 6 month ago when James had zero interest and Molly claimed that she could already read, but didn't feel like showing me. :lol:

For this board, I have to say MFW K5. It's my total stealth/surprise winner, the thing I never expected to like so much! :D (check back in a few months and see what I'm saying, haha) The preschool activity cards from MFW are turning out to be very practical and useful to us as well. They're just easy to pick up and use, and one turns out to be just the right amount of time for ds. I seem to be going in different directions these days (high school stuff and preschool at the same time, ack!), so I love that I can just pick these up and they WORK. Love it. :)

I am changing up a lot this year with older ds hitting the logic stage. I think I am most excited about Classical Writing. If I can get my head around it, I think it will be a really good fit! (I know, I know, I must be a candidate for the funny farm, but I am really drawn to this program!)

I can't really think of a "thing" that has me really excited for the fall. I guess Mr. Q's science would be the closest

I'm excited about having all our kids at home for the first time, my oldest starting high school, and the period we're studying in history. Medieval history and literature are much more my speed than ancient is. :D

We aren't changing too many things, but I am excited about:

Elemental Science -- Earth Science/Astronomy (Logic Level) -- The topics look interesting and the boys are going to love it!

Singapore 5 -- I just love math and am excited to teach the next year to my oldest.

MP Kindergarten Program -- I am nervous and excited about having a "pre-planned" curriculum for the first time.

Only five more weeks until we start!:tongue_smilie:

For this board, I have to say MFW K5. It's my total stealth/surprise winner, the thing I never expected to like so much! :D (check back in a few months and see what I'm saying, haha) The preschool activity cards from MFW are turning out to be very practical and useful to us as well. They're just easy to pick up and use, and one turns out to be just the right amount of time for ds. I seem to be going in different directions these days (high school stuff and preschool at the same time, ack!), so I love that I can just pick these up and they WORK. Love it. :)

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this! MFW K is on my short list for the next fall for dd2...

I have almost no new curricula since I was happy with just about everything last year (which makes me question why I spend so much time reading on this forum...)

But I am looking forward to tennis lessons for the kids and renting a garden plot this coming year. :coolgleamA:

Glencoe Literature. The student textbooks are dirt cheap used at Amazon.

The study guides for the supplementary novels are free here.

I'm only planning on using the series like Robinson Curriculum just focusing on reading the stories and studying the vocabulary. I prefer this secular and modern and politically-correct series and the suggested novels to the older books suggested by Robinson. I won't be using the literary appreciation and language arts so don't need the TMs.

I also use the McGuffey readers (with audio) and the Golden Bible and the KJV (with audio) for literature, and SOME vintage novels. I'm really impressed with the Glenco Lit though for reading stamina and vocabulary development, and not having to pre-read every word for racial discrimination. I looked a long time for a solid reading curriculum that included heavy vocabulary instruction, and think I have found it. Most of the suggested novels are right on the shelf at the library. It seems too good to be true, but so far looks good.

Edited by Hunter

Oh...I am just so excited to be starting my second year of hsing and learning from last years mistakes! I am so excited to just RELAX more and enjoy. Lots and lots of read alouds - bought a bunch of great books from SL too. Oh...I am determined to really dive deeper into Miquon (especially with those awesome videos over at Education Unboxed - thanks!) With my dd who is struggling, I am excited to find her strengths and focus on those, not what she CAN'T do - what she CAN do!!

We aren't changing too many things, but I am excited about:

Elemental Science -- Earth Science/Astronomy (Logic Level) -- The topics look interesting and the boys are going to love it!

Singapore 5 -- I just love math and am excited to teach the next year to my oldest.

MP Kindergarten Program -- I am nervous and excited about having a "pre-planned" curriculum for the first time.

Only five more weeks until we start!:tongue_smilie:

Do you have this yet? I have started seriously considering using it for my K'er this fall. She loves workbooks and has great handwriting skills already. I really like MP's packages for K and 1st. Above that they start looking a little dry to me.

I was wondering what you think of MP K. :)

Rod & Staff English 3 :lol: I've read all of the :banghead: reviews about it, but finally broke down and got it. It looks like exactly what I want. There isn't too much writing per lesson, so I'm wondering why it is so painful and why everyone does it orally? I guess I'm about to find out. :) If it doesn't work out I have grammarland and KISS as a back up plan.

AND I'm excited about MP's Greek Myths study guide.

Art of Problem Solving for maths - pre algebra with Singapore & Essential Maths on standby if she wants more, and Essential Maths as core with AOPS algebra added in for my older dd.

Using homeschool sked tracker in place of paper to do lists.

Lego simple machines, Make Electronics book, Crime Scene Investigations, McHenry' s chemistry..... Because apparently, ' We didn't do enough science last year!'

Rod & Staff English 3 :lol: I've read all of the :banghead: reviews about it, but finally broke down and got it. It looks like exactly what I want. There isn't too much writing per lesson, so I'm wondering why it is so painful and why everyone does it orally? I guess I'm about to find out. :) If it doesn't work out I have grammarland and KISS as a back up plan.

I like R&S English. I think it is a great program.

I have my kids write out the written exercises because I think it is much more effective, although I only have them write as many as a I think they need to do to learn the concepts (usually about half).

I generally don't have my kids do the composition exercises because we use other programs for that, but they would be fine to do if you need them.

I can't wait to start our nature journals! I've always wanted and *planned* to do one, but it was always something that got left out. This year I bought beautiful journals and we designed our own science curriculum, so I made sure the journal was part of it. So excited!! :)