Menu

Should a rising 3rd grader know

1. how to spell nothing and cousin?

2. what the equator is?

3. how to add 13 +15 in their head?

4. that the USA is in North America?

I'm so worried about my niece. I used to babysit her full time before she went to school. Last year when she finished 1st grade and didn't know her simple addition facts up to 10, I asked around to mothers of first graders I knew, and they all knew this.

I'm watching niece for a few days this week, and the above are all things that came up today that she didn't know. Her reading is very stilted. I know my kids are advanced in their reading skills, but she seems very behind. Her mother, (one of dh's adopted sisters) is not very mature and has some learning disabilities of her own and isn't capable of knowing what her daughter should be doing at this age. I've tried to talk to her about things, but it doesn't seem to register.

1. She probably has not had these as spelling words. She may be able to guess based on phonics, but maybe not. It would be more telling if she was given and increasing difficult list of words and you could see at what point she began to have difficulty spelling. Just randomly picking a couple of words tells you nothing.

2. Depends on if it was covered. It is more likely that they have not covered it.

3. Most schools don't teach kids to 'add in their heads', but can she do it on paper?

4. Again depends on what geography was covered in her school. Probably should know it, but even Miss America contestants get confused on these type of questions - remember that from two or three years ago.

1) DD7 can spell nothing. It's a compound word made up of 1st grade words. Cousin, I'm not sure. I would think yes but don't know any third graders to ask.

2 & 4) Maybe. If I recall correctly, 3rd/4th grade is pretty heavy on geography with U.S. being 3rd/4th grade and world being 4th/5th grade.

3) Yes. Mental math is part of most math curric these days and that one's not especially challenging.

2. what the equator is?

1. No way could ds spell cousin, it may be possible that he could spell nothing (his spelling is bad!).

2. Yes, ds knows what the equator is.

3. Yes, ds could easily add those numbers in his head (although this is because we used RS Math and Math Mammoth - not sure if other curriculums focus on mental math?).

4. Yes, ds knows that the USA is in North America.

My raising third graders could definitely do 3 & 4, not sure about #2 and would probably get nothing correct (well one of them would, the other is a terrible speller in comparison) but destroy cousin. My boys are still very choppy readers. They know their sight words down cold and can sound out a lot of words, but their reading isn't fluid sounding yet. They have to work hard to read.

Here's the answers from my DD (hs'ed since K) and her friend (PS since K)

1. DD can spell nothing, but not cousin. DD's friend can't spell either word.

2. Neither girl knows what the equator is.

3. DD immediately answered 28. DD's friend said she couldn't do it in her head.

4. Both girls said yes.

Based on what I've seen of DD's friends, I doubt many of them could spell cousin. In fact, I can only think of 1 friend who could probably spell it. The others are still misspelling way more simple words than that. Most schools here embrace the "don't correct it, they'll self-correct as they get older" philosophy. We don't follow that, but spelling is DD's weakest subject. (Reading is one of her strongest though...it just doesn't translate in her mind between reading the word and spelling the word.)

Many of the rising 3rd graders I know can't add in their heads either. This has come up more than once because DD's strongest subject is math and her friends constantly comment about how THEY'RE amazed at what DD knows. DD is memorizing her multiplication tables while her friends are still working on carrying and borrowing. They don't teach mental math in PS here either. The K supply list has - I kid you not - calculators on it!

2. what the equator is?

1. I don't expect it out of a 3rd grader as some kids struggle a little with spelling. It would depend on the child.

2. That's not something that I've seen covered in many 2nd grade classes or any other 2nd grade material I've looked at.

3. YES, if my child was not able to do a simple 2 digit number in their heads by the end of second grade I would be concerned. My daughter is slower in math and has to think about it, but she is a rising 2nd grader, not a third grader. I haven't required memorization from my oldest son yet and he is a rising 3rd grader, but he didn't even blink an eye when I ask him. two digit numbers are introduced in first grade in the ps here and should be pretty easy for the kids by the end of 3rd grade.

4. Yes. I might be in Canada, but the concept that Alberta is in Canada, and Canada is in North America, is something that is talked about and taught from early grade 1.

Heck, even I can't add 13+15 in my head! I can by looking at it, without needing to work it out on paper.

My son is going into the 4th grade.

He can add small numbers together in his head. Certainly not those.

He does not know what the equator is. We've gone over it a few time, but I've not gotten very far into that with him.

He cannot spell cousin but can spell nothing.

My kids asked me if people in Connecticut speak a different language when we went to the Mystic Aquarium there, so yeah, they don't know that the USA is in North America.

2. what the equator is?

1. No, maybe nothing, but definitely not cousin. My 13 yo just asked me this evening how to spell that one.

2. Probably not until after 3rd or 4th grade.

3. single digits yes, but not necessarily two 2 digit numbers.

4. Probably, but again, not necessarily.

An average second grader not knowing those things when put on the spot wouldn't worry me too much.

I know you probably aren't intentionally bringing up these things to quiz the child, but if the tables were turned this board would erupt into righteous indignation. How dare a family member question my child's education and all that.

2. what the equator is?

Answering for DD, going into 3rd grade.

1. No, she could not spell those words, spelling is not our strongest subject.

2. Yes. We did a whirlwind continent study in K, and we talk about the rotation of the Earth and temperature, etc.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

If she's in public school, I believe she should know #2, 3, 4.

If she's homeschooled, not necessarily. Ps does much more work on "social studies" at this age, and many hs families are doing their own thing, or following along with an older sibling. (My ds probably didn't make the correlation between U.S.A. and North America until he was 10. But he could easily multiply those numbers in his head by then. ;)) Math can be learned at different rates, and hs parents are often not as rigid about math facts, mental math, etc. at this point.

I'd expect a rising 3rd grader to spell "nothing" but not "cousin."

It's someone else's kid. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, no matter who is teaching. If it bothered me, I'd make sure my kids know it.

(I've seen teens at my work who are unable to alphabetize, and I've come home to give my youngest a surprise quiz on it, just to be sure.:D)

My ds9 is finishing 3rd grade.

He could probably spell nothing, definitely not cousin. Not a chance. But spelling isn't a strength.

He could certainly do the mental math, but math is his strong area.

Geography- yes, he'd probably know the equator. I'd say a 50/50 shot on US being in North America. Sometimes he gets it when I ask, sometimes he doesn't. It's like the days of the week. 50% of the time he still skips Wednesdays (heck! I'd love to skip Wednesdays, too!). And he usually skips November when reciting the months of the year.

I'm not worried about any of it. He's come a long way with reading this year and is reading fluently, even adding tone and inflection. Facts do come and go. My ds12 knew all 50 states by shape by the time he was 3. Now? Maybe half. He didn't use it so he lost it.

My oldest would have given you a blank stare on all of those even those we covered them at rising 3rd grader age. :D

If the question comes at him outside his norm, he acts like he has never heard of the concept before. Then he might come back 1/2 hour later and tell you in detail about the equator, geography or anything else crossing his mind ... in detail.

3rd grade is still an age where I expect a lot of developmental differences between kids. Add in different curricula and standards of learning for different schools and I would not expect specific answers to most of those questions. My kids are too old to compare on those questions and I can't remember how they would have done. Wait - I'm fairly sure that dd10 did not know many of those things back then but has had a huge developmental learning growth spurt and knows those answers and many more.

I don't know what's normal for her age, and I wouldn't quiz her or talk to the Mom or start gifting her with workbooks (not that you have implied you would!), I would just take the time you have with her and read with her every day in a way that makes it fun, not a chore. Not teaching her, just sitting next to her on the couch so she can see the pages, but you're doing the reading. Do it with your other kids listening too so it's not like she's being singled out. Visit the library and have everyone pick out books.

That will be a huge blessing to her regardless of whether she is ahead or behind in whatever subject, and all the more so since her mom has LDs and may not be reading with her much (giant assumption there, forgive me if I am way off base).

Yes to all 4 for my rising 3rd grader but I agree with a PP that it just depends on what your child's abilities are and what you've chosen to cover.

In regards to your niece, since her mother also has some learning disabilities you said.. is there some way to test for, say, dyslexia at home?

In my experience one who struggles with reading also struggles with spelling. That doesn't make it a fact, just something my experience has shown me with children who struggle & children who don't.

My 3rd grader could do all of the above except spell cousin. He lives in Australia so I wasn't sure he'd get the USA continent one correct, but he did. Having said that, I concentrate on different things then I know major learning institutions would. He's also heard a lot of this over many years based on who learned what ahead of him, kwim?

If your niece is struggling to read it may have her at a large disadvantage in school. She may also feel bad about herself due to her inability & thus not enjoy school, etc. Have you spoken with her Dad?

I thought you'd enjoy that my son (who has lived in New Zealand his whole life) told me:

"The USA is close to the North Pole and is near Kansas where there is a lot of ice." :D

He got nothing, but not cousin. Knew the equator very well (like relating it to the sun), and added the 2 numbers in his head in 2 seconds.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

An average second grader not knowing those things when put on the spot wouldn't worry me too much.

I know you probably aren't intentionally bringing up these things to quiz the child, but if the tables were turned this board would erupt into righteous indignation. How dare a family member question my child's education and all that.

I wasn't quizzing her. These things came up over the course of what the kids were doing over the day. The spelling thing- I let her go on her FB account and she was trying to type a response to someone and kept asking me how to spell things. She asked me where America was, out of the blue, so that led into a conversation about what exactly she meant by America. When I got out the globe to show her, that led to the question about the big red line around the middle of the globe. The math thing came up because she and my ds2 were playing something and one of them had 13 items and one of them had 15 items. My ds (also a rising 3rd grader) said that meant they had 28 all together. She asked him how he knew that.

If she's in public school, I believe she should know #2, 3, 4.

If she's homeschooled, not necessarily. Ps does much more work on "social studies" at this age, and many hs families are doing their own thing, or following along with an older sibling. (My ds probably didn't make the correlation between U.S.A. and North America until he was 10. But he could easily multiply those numbers in his head by then. ;)) Math can be learned at different rates, and hs parents are often not as rigid about math facts, mental math, etc. at this point.

I'd expect a rising 3rd grader to spell "nothing" but not "cousin."

It's someone else's kid. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, no matter who is teaching. If it bothered me, I'd make sure my kids know it.

(I've seen teens at my work who are unable to alphabetize, and I've come home to give my youngest a surprise quiz on it, just to be sure.:D)

I don't know what's normal for her age, and I wouldn't quiz her or talk to the Mom or start gifting her with workbooks (not that you have implied you would!), I would just take the time you have with her and read with her every day in a way that makes it fun, not a chore. Not teaching her, just sitting next to her on the couch so she can see the pages, but you're doing the reading. Do it with your other kids listening too so it's not like she's being singled out. Visit the library and have everyone pick out books.

That will be a huge blessing to her regardless of whether she is ahead or behind in whatever subject, and all the more so since her mom has LDs and may not be reading with her much (giant assumption there, forgive me if I am way off base).

You know, it drives most hs'ers nuts when people quiz their kids to see if they're measuring up to ps standards. I imagine the opposite is true as well.

See my last post- I wasn't quizzing her at all. She is in public school, and not one that gets ranked very high. Even though she's not my kid, I love her and care about her. She spends a lot of time with us. I've noticed over the past couple of years that she is quite behind my kids and other kids I know that are her age in general knowledge, reading, math and spelling. Beside her, I have 6 other nieces and nephews in that general age range, as well as my kids' other friends, and she is at the lower end of their abilities. Her mother was adopted at age 2 from an orphanage in El Salvador. Her family hadn't been feeding her because she had a tumor on her face and they thought she was going to die anyway. So, niece's mother is developmentally delayed herself and is truly incapable of knowing what to do for her daughter. The dad is not in the picture.

I used to babysit this niece full time before she went to school. She got plenty of reading time with us. And we do all our read alouds together when she's here.

ETA:

The answers here have made me feel better. I guess it is not too alarming if she doesn't know these things, yet. I just hope she will eventually get this stuff.

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

I will tell you that a neighbor boy in about third grade just had a conversation with my husband in which he mused about his recent trip to Florida and then wondered what country it was in, went on to say something about the continent our state is in, and then talked about going to visit his parents' family in their home country in Asia (it's really in Europe). My husband was astonished. It was a bit of geography stew. I wondered if his class had recently been studying this and he got it mixed up but wanted to use the terms.

I would try to continue to read to her, and if you she gets to the point where she can and wants to to read on her own, you could send her home with interesting, meaty books (fiction and non) that she could enjoy on her own time as well.

:grouphug: I think it's wonderful you care. That is exactly what families should do. You are right to be concerned.

I wasn't quizzing her. These things came up over the course of what the kids were doing over the day. The spelling thing- I let her go on her FB account and she was trying to type a response to someone and kept asking me how to spell things. She asked me where America was, out of the blue, so that led into a conversation about what exactly she meant by America. When I got out the globe to show her, that led to the question about the big red line around the middle of the globe. The math thing came up because she and my ds2 were playing something and one of them had 13 items and one of them had 15 items. My ds (also a rising 3rd grader) said that meant they had 28 all together. She asked him how he knew that.

I understand you are concerned about her education. However, I would be much, much more concerned that an 8 or 9 year old has her own FB page. People can try to justify it all they want, but it's against FB rules. I'm sure she's not trying to break the rules; perhaps the adult who let her do this is unaware of the rules or doesn't care.

I'd be addressing the FB issue, both with the child and with the parent.

(I'm flameproof on this!)

2. what the equator is?

Each of my kids is different, and as rising 3rd graders, they could do some of these.

DS13 back as a rising 3rd grader could spell both of those words but he is a natural speller, did know where the equator was and that the USA was in north america, but he could not do that addition even on paper (it was one of the reasons we decided to homeschool for grade 3)

DD12 still can not spell those words. SHe is a voracious reader but can not spell worth a hill of beans. She could do the mental math no problem and the other 2 she knew.

DS8 is a rising 3rd grader now, he knows #2 and #4, but can not do mental math like that nor can he spell. In his defense he has many special needs and is at an early 1st grade level of reading.

DD4 can already do #4

You mentioned her reading is stilted. If the school is not seeing other signs of learning disability, there is a distinct chance that the spelling stuff will improve once her reading is more fluid. Some kids are just slower to pick it up. Most of the math curric in ps is not taught as mental math. They are told to draw it out, or use fingers, or calculators etc. So no surprise that she can't do double digit addition in her head. SHe should know that the USA is in north america, that is basic knowledge but I can see not knowing where the equator is yet if it has not been covered in school. Without the ability to read fluidly she can not discover these things on her own outside of the set curriculum.

I understand you are concerned about her education. However, I would be much, much more concerned that an 8 or 9 year old has her own FB page. People can try to justify it all they want, but it's against FB rules. I'm sure she's not trying to break the rules; perhaps the adult who let her do this is unaware of the rules or doesn't care.

:iagree: I agree fully. Much to dd12's dismay. ds13 has a fb account dd is not allowed one yet because she is only 12.

The spelling words: No, only a "good speller" would know those after 2nd grade, unless they'd been drilled.

The geography: Not sure. No biggie either way. Easy to learn once needed.

The math: Ideally, yes, but some kids have a rough time with mental math. Can she do it on paper?

The sister-in-law: I am not sure why you pointed out that she was adopted. Anyhoo, I think it's nice that you are looking out for her kids, but try to avoid evaluating them based on an "ideal." Every kid has strengths and weaknesses, as you know. It might be more helpful to contemplate what they "do" know, and whether that is more or less in line with what kids learn in 2nd grade. Maybe take them to the library and follow them around to get a feel for what topics interest them, and use that as a starting point for gently shoring up some academics over the summer.

I read recently that FB considers lowering the age limit. Here is one of several articles out there:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303506404577444711741019238.html

I hope they don't. Young kids do not need a social networking site, and I agree with the privacy concerns. Not to mention the reason they want to lower it is to charge parents for the games and apps the kids would play. Charging for that stuff would certainly turn me off from ever allowing my kids to have accounts. But that is a topic for a different thread :001_smile:

My 8yo ds is just finishing 2nd grade work. He answered all the questions correctly. He did struggle to spell cousin out loud, but when given a pencil and paper, spelled it correctly. And he needed a little prodding to define the equator as a line around the middle of the earth. At first he said 'a line around the earth.'

It's pointless to bring it up with her mother. In their household (dh's step-mom's), you are allowed to do, say, and watch whatever you want. This niece has been watching R rated movies alongside her mother since she was born. I've had to tell her on many occasions, "We don't say that word at Ti Lynne's house."

The spelling words: No, only a "good speller" would know those after 2nd grade, unless they'd been drilled.

The geography: Not sure. No biggie either way. Easy to learn once needed.

The math: Ideally, yes, but some kids have a rough time with mental math. Can she do it on paper?

The sister-in-law: I am not sure why you pointed out that she was adopted. Anyhoo, I think it's nice that you are looking out for her kids, but try to avoid evaluating them based on an "ideal." Every kid has strengths and weaknesses, as you know. It might be more helpful to contemplate what they "do" know, and whether that is more or less in line with what kids learn in 2nd grade. Maybe take them to the library and follow them around to get a feel for what topics interest them, and use that as a starting point for gently shoring up some academics over the summer.

I filled in more of the story. I bring up the adopted part because it affects how her mother is and why I worry about her. Because of the things that happened to her pre-adoption, she is mentally incapable of advocating for the best education for her daughter. MIL (dh's step-mom) has major issues with her job, and with two older girls she took in because their adoptive family didn't want them anymore, so she doesn't have the time or energy to focus on her granddaughter. She tries, but is too burnt out.

Just read your update comment, and I would say that it is very positive that your niece is academically curious enough to ask all those questions.

This is what breaks my heart. She is a bright and curious little girl. My worry is not just based on the fact that she doesn't know the 4 things I asked. She doesn't seem to be getting what she needs in school. :crying:

I remembered these questions being about a rising 2nd grader, so I asked my 8 year old. (Turned 8 less then a month ago)

He can spell nothing, and by that I mean nothing as in no words. :p But he does great copy work. (Well he can likely spell some words he uses often when making his own game pieces, such as "health, fatigue, armor, run, damage, die... This is because he has had to copy these words so many times when making new character cards.)

When asked about the equator he said, "I'm not sure were on the world that is since I haven't studied science for awhile. I also can't remember why it is significant, but I know it is." So he doesn't know, but must have a general idea.

He can easily add those numbers in his head. Why give him enough time and he could multiply them together in his head.

I'm not sure if he knows the USA in in North America. But he knows his geography related to SOTW volume 1. He is good reader so I can't quiz him on geography while looking at a map since he just reads the names of the places.

The topic came up the other day and he knew Russia covered more land space that any other country. He knew Canada covered more land space then the USA - but was unsure about Denmark not knowing if Greenland counted as part of Denmark. (We had a Danish cousin visiting - so lots of talk about Denmark last month)

I do find it interesting to discover what someone else knows and doesn't know. Unless otherwise noted I assume these things came up in conversation. (which you mentioned in another post)

If you are looking for a way to help your niece, I'd work on reading fluency. Stilted reading should be fairly easy to overcome. From the description you gave of your SIL's learning disabilities, it doesn't seem like your niece has a genetic risk, just an environmental one.

FWIW, my rising 3rd grader could solve the math problem if directly asked. I could see her having a 'duh' moment though, and asking a question like your niece. While she could spell those words for a spelling test, she wouldn't put much effort into spelling on her own. It just doesn't matter to her. :001_huh: The geography knowledge will come with time.

Your niece is lucky to have a loving aunt. It sounds like she may be the low end of average, but still within the range of normal abilities.

Kids know what they're taught and what they pick up from their environment. I wouldn't think it's egregious if a rising 3rd grader didn't know any of those things.

FWIW, my rising 3rd grader (who was held back and likely has dyslexia) could add the numbers in his head, but I doubt he would know the other things. Granted, spelling is very difficult for him and we didn't do a whole lot of social studies or geography this year because I was concentrating on reading and writing. However, he has gotten an excellent education (in my not so humble opinion) and I'm not worried.

When he was tested by the ps for a LD, the psychologist was aghast that DS didn't know what a yardstick was. Really? Who cares? An education is more than knowing very specific things at the elementary level.

I thought you'd enjoy that my son (who has lived in New Zealand his whole life) told me:

"The USA is close to the North Pole and is near Kansas where there is a lot of ice." :D

He got nothing, but not cousin. Knew the equator very well (like relating it to the sun), and added the 2 numbers in his head in 2 seconds.

Ruth in NZ

Meant to comment on this before- :lol::lol:

I'll bet the people in Kansas wish they were near a lot of ice sometimes!

...She is in public school, and not one that gets ranked very high.

I think what she knows is going to be dependent on what is taught at the school. So it would be difficult to compare her knowledge to the knowledge of the kids represented on a homeschool/afterschooling board. KWIM?

When she's with you, gently show her how to get the information she wants. You can do a lot in just a few hours without really pressing the issue. Think of yourself as the year's past small town librarian who always took the time to encourage the eager learners. ;)

I think what she knows is going to be dependent on what is taught at the school. So it would be difficult to compare her knowledge to the knowledge of the kids represented on a homeschool/afterschooling board. KWIM?

When she's with you, gently show her how to get the information she wants. You can do a lot in just a few hours without really pressing the issue. Think of yourself as the year's past small town librarian who always took the time to encourage the eager learners. ;)

I know. But I led a cub scout den of 14 boys who were all public schooled, except my son. We made cards, posters, games, etc.- lots of activities where they had to write. I was pretty impressed with their handwriting and spelling. I'm pretty sure most of them could have answered at least 3 out of 4 of those questions. And I have another niece who goes to an inner city public school and is one month older than the niece in question. Inner city school niece is light-years ahead of niece-in-question as far as reading and math are concerned. Inner city school niece is assigned actual books to read and has to learn her math facts. Other niece reads these little made-up paper books at school and had never seen a flash card until last summer when I was using them with my boys. I just think her school is awful. So, it has been an ongoing concern for me. I'm not just comparing her to homeschooling kids, I think she's behind the other kids I know, too. Not to mention the kids I still see from when my kids were in preschool and public school.

I have and will continue to do what I can for her while she's here. I'm glad I asked because I'm not quite as alarmed as I was yesterday. I just don't want her to be left behind when all her other cousins are soaring ahead. I know she's capable of doing whatever she wants.

2. what the equator is?

I'm so worried about my niece. I used to babysit her full time before she went to school. Last year when she finished 1st grade and didn't know her simple addition facts up to 10, I asked around to mothers of first graders I knew, and they all knew this.

I'm watching niece for a few days this week, and the above are all things that came up today that she didn't know. Her reading is very stilted. I know my kids are advanced in their reading skills, but she seems very behind. Her mother, (one of dh's adopted sisters) is not very mature and has some learning disabilities of her own and isn't capable of knowing what her daughter should be doing at this age. I've tried to talk to her about things, but it doesn't seem to register.

1. Mine spelled nothing and almost got cousin correct (cousan)

2. She didn't know what the equator is.:glare: We've learned it multiple times.

3. Mine added 15 + 13 easily in her head.

4. At first she said it wasn't in North America, but quickly changed her mind. I think she is geographically challenged!:lol:

my 5.5 year old knows most of that. But he's been taught by me.

I would think a lot of third graders probably wouldn't know it. I would find it a little disappointing in their education, but if they dont' have any learning disabilities, then they will catch up, eventually.

(BTW, I didn't read any comments.)