Menu

What MRSA looks like when caught really early.

I wanted to share a picture of dd 10's upper shin, where she has a MRSA infection. This time I caught it really early as it just looked like a regular bug bite yesterday.

Above it is a regular bandaid for perspective.

Hopefully, this will help someone down the road. ;)

post-50054-13535086829815_thumb.jpg

post-50054-13535086829815_thumb.jpg

Edited by Juniper

Pictures are similar-- but right after we arrived at ER a red streak started moving up dd's leg! -- look at her knee!

My dd spiked a fever with no other symptoms the night before. Injury was a small scrape from a water slide a few days before (Wednesday).

At noon Sunday the scab was a bit 'raised'... by 4pm it looked like this!

I'm glad the posters here on the WTM board encouraged me to go to the ER-- I had never seen MRSA before-- and did not expect it to spread before my eyes!

ry%3D400

Edited by Jann in TX

Yes all pics will be down shortly. ;-)

Ouch.

Just a heads up - is that your Facebook account you're linking to? If so, you might want to edit your post if you're trying to maintain some anonymity.

My dd got MRSA constantly from 6-24 months. Hers was always in her diaper area, it started as little red simple spots. When we finally learned what they looked like before they got bad, we were able to stop them with hibicleanse soap and a layer of neosporin after every diaper change.

Make sure you bleach the shower after she uses it until the infection Is gone. We all had it the first time dd got an infection because we did not know what it was and we did not take the proper precautions.

Make sure the Dr gave a long enough run of antibiotics. Dd's doc always gave a shot of roceferin and 10 days of meds, plus dh went in for a second shot with his. We went to the er and they refused to give her a shot and gave a short run of meds. That was the worst infection she had, it kept getting worse over a holiday weekend and we were in the er again and it had to be packed! Went to the doctor on Monday, got a shot and it finally started clearing up.

I hope your daughter heals quickly!

Make sure the Dr gave a long enough run of antibiotics. Dd's doc always gave a shot of roceferin and 10 days of meds, plus dh went in for a second shot with his. We went to the er and they refused to give her a shot and gave a short run of meds. That was the worst infection she had, it kept getting worse over a holiday weekend and we were in the er again and it had to be packed! Went to the doctor on Monday, got a shot and it finally started clearing up.

If it is MRSA then Ceftriaxone [aka Rocephin] will not be effective.

MRSA is Staph aureus which has developed resistance to Methicillin.**

Possible treatment options would be Vancomycin IV, Linezolid PO/IV and depending on sensitivities sometimes Bactrim, Clindamycin, or one of the Quinolones (which are a bad idea in kids for other reasons) may be options as well.

**Just clarifying this for other posters. There may have been a very valid reason your pediatrician felt Ceftiaxone was indicated. They may have wanted to cover for other pathogens before the cultures came back or they may have been treating something other than the skin infection.

There are two "kinds" of MRSA. Hospital acquired MRSA is a much stronger bacteria than community acquired MRSA, which is what most healthy people are getting now. DH, DD4, and I have all had MRSA infections. They require strong antibiotics, but our doctors have not been overly concerned.

MRSA shows up in cuts and scrapes because staph bacteria live on the skin, so a cut offers an entry point.

Any cut, scrape, open wound, etc. that looks WORSE after 24-48 hours and not getting better needs to checked out. Especially if you've spent any time in the hospital recently.

Community acquired MRSA is less virulent, but still quite nasty. Don't "wait and see" if you have an injury that appears to look "ickier" as time passes (yes, that's a professional term for a wound description :lol:)...get to a doctor.

Thought I would explain a little about how I Knew we were dealing with MRSA. For what it's worth, this is our second episode on the same leg.

The first time I did not take her in until the red area was swollen and covering an area the size of my hand. She had started to run a temp and it was approaching the weekend.

This time as we were walking out the door I saw her bug bite covered with those tiny bandaids. When I looked I could see that the front of her leg was swollen. If you can picture it, she looked like she had a mini calf muscle in the front of her shin. The area around the bite was only red in a "silver dollar" size circle."

Since had done this before I proceed to gently squeeze it (yes like a pimple :tongue_smilie:) Immediately, about 2cc worth of pus came out.

For us, swelling (even non-red) and pus equals MRSA.

MRSA is not fun. Like someone else mentioned the hospital contracted is worse than the type we have, but because I waited so long last time dd almost landed in the hospital hooked up to IV antibiotics. The idea of being in the hospital with MRSA is not comforting, although I would have done that had she not responded to oral antibiotics.

I am tempted to take another picture for you guys but it is really gross. There is now about a 2-3mm hole in the center of the wound. We have had to drain it twice each time getting between 8-10cc (almost a small childs medicine dropper) of pus.

It is something we will monitor very closely over the next 24 hrs. Again, I hope it helps someone out there!

Guest inoubliable

Many of you seem to know quite a bit about MRSA and I have a question...

Does it always get worse? If left alone, in certain instances, is it...um, benign?

The reason I'm asking is because I got a small spot on my lower back after having kiddo3 almost 5 years ago. I didn't pay much attention to it until it started bothering me like a pimple would. It seemed to get better, and then worse, and then better and I just didn't pay attention to it unless it was bothersome, kwim? Several months ago the bump (it's like a hard bump under my skin) seemed tender and right next to it (stop reading now if you don't like icky stuff...) a spot on my skin opened up. No idea how. There was no scab there or pimple or anything. For days, some goopy stuff and blood came out. It was just as if a really heinous pimple had popped. We put teatree oil on it and it eventually stopped being gross after about a week. The bump was suddenly not so tender at all and seemed to have receded under the skin more.

Fast forward to just a few months ago when I went in for a long-overdue physical. I mentioned all that above stuff to the doctor, she poked around at it...and told me it was "just MRSA" and it would be fine.

Reading this post, though, has me wondering...

If it's really MRSA, shouldn't she have given me something for it? Is there a test she could have done? Is it something that's okay to ignore?

And if it's not MRSA...does she know what she's doing at all??

Thoughts?

My girls volunteer in a school/center that has a high rate of MRSA because many are in and out of the hospital, so we keep an eye out. So far, so good, but we know it's a risk so they are careful.

I caught it on my niece, called db to come get her and take her to the hospital, and they were able to get it under control. :o( Poor baby.

I have a surgical iodine scrub that I use here. I am starting to think it is in the soil. She does a lot of farm chores and while I am very thankful for the robust living she is getting I sometimes want to lock her in a sterile room! ;)

I started to suspect the soil, because this last week they have spent days building a mini golf course in one paddock. It's hot and she was on the ground a lot!

Wow it is good that you caught it quickly.

My dh has had MRSA twice. Both times was after he was on antibiotics for an infection other than MRSA. Once, the lumps were under his arm and very, very painful. They never opened up. The second time, a huge lump opened up. He had to have it cleansed and stuffed with clean guaze every day for a week. Yuck. It was intensely painful.

He never takes antibiotics now. He has warded off sinus infections and ear infections naturally and just deals with the pain...he would rather deal with that pain than the pain of MRSA.

I forgot to mention that when showering, he always washes with Dial antibacterial soap now.

Edited by Alyeska

Dd contracted MRSA in both middle ears when she was 9 months old after tubes were put into ears. It took 4 surgeries, 3 separate pic lines, and a hospital stay before she was finally past it. It was a horrible experience. She developed Stevens Johnson Syndrome during one of the courses of Septra and again during a course of Vanco. Now she can't take either. If she ever contracts MRSA again, our options will be seriously limited. I have been known to gently educate (lecture ;)) moms who misuse antibiotics because I am now a huge advocate of fighting antibiotic resistance.

Dd contracted MRSA in both middle ears when she was 9 months old after tubes were put into ears. It took 4 surgeries, 3 separate pic lines, and a hospital stay before she was finally past it. It was a horrible experience. She developed Stevens Johnson Syndrome during one of the courses of Septra and again during a course of Vanco. Now she can't take either. If she ever contracts MRSA again, our options will be seriously limited. I have been known to gently educate (lecture ;)) moms who misuse antibiotics because I am now a huge advocate of fighting antibiotic resistance.

:iagree: This is a stance we have always maintained and I am very grateful. When she contacted it the first time I could see that the Dr was very dubious the oral antibiotics would work. He had prescribed the strongest course he could, but she was borderline needing to be admitted. I really think that since she had only had antibiotics once as toddler we were very lucky.

Many of you seem to know quite a bit about MRSA and I have a question...

Does it always get worse? If left alone, in certain instances, is it...um, benign?

The reason I'm asking is because I got a small spot on my lower back after having kiddo3 almost 5 years ago.

Where was your infection? If it was near your tailbone, it was probably a pilonidal cyst that became infected with MRSA.

Absolutely they can resolve without antibiotics. In fact, the appropriate treatment of an uncomplicated MRSA infection is to open it and let it drain. Often, this is enough and antibiotics aren't necessary.

Empiric oral antimicrobial therapy for suspected MRSA infections (see also Table 1)

• There are no randomized clinical trials regarding the most effective treatment for CA-MRSA. Therefore, these recommendations are based on expert judgment, experience gained from the use of non-beta lactam antimicrobials for treatment of S. aureus infections in patients with penicillin allergies, and recent published experience with treatment of CA-MRSA.
  • In many patients with mild infections, I & D of abscesses without antimicrobial therapy is an appropriate and sufficient treatment option.
  • Antimicrobial therapy should be reserved for infections that cannot be managed with I & D alone, and for patients who are systemically ill or have more serious infections. In addition, antimicrobial therapy should be considered for patients with immunosuppression or underlying diseases, such as diabetes mellitus, and for young children, especially those younger than a year of age.

If the infection keeps coming back, make sure they culture the wound to see what the infection is resistant too. I had this not too long ago. An infection kept coming back on my leg. They would give me antibiotics, but it still came back. After the third round of the same antibiotics, I said something to the doc along the lines of "Hey, this is the third time this has come back, perhaps the antibiotic isn't working?" Doc got mad at me and basically told me that she never stopped me from going to the infectious disease doc. However, she never told me to go there either. ID cultured it. Turned out it was resistant to the antibiotic first doc had been giving me. At that time, I found this really interesting article making a case for going with hormone free products (meat, milk etc). That the antibiotics in food could be contributing. Don't know if that is true, but I jumped on that bandwagon:D Nasty stuff MRSA.

Edited by QuirkyKapers

Did your dd develop asthma-like symptoms after she was on the vanco, by any chance?

DC was on vanco for a long time for an unknown, recurring infection. At the end of the treatment, we were in the ER for quick-onset, serious asthma symptoms. :(

Any staph aureus can look like that. Given there is so much MRSA at our hospital, we always treat to cover it, but culture and cut back on the antibiotics if it is MSSA. I have learned I cannot tell MRSA from MSSA by look or smell (pseudomonas I can smell).

Rule of thumb: a big "bug bite" in an odd place or at an odd time of year is probably an S.Aureus infection.

You might consider giving her bleach baths. I know it sounds awful.

Eeek. It sounds very awful. I would worry about getting it either too concentrated or not concentrated enough, and also, horrendous skin reactions. I've seen people get horrible red backs of legs just from popping up onto the exam table before the bleach could dry and the nurse could get the paper roll back on. Thinking of it on a child, in the vulXa or under the foreskin makes me grimace.

Hibiclens scrubs total body daily with bactroban applied to armpits, crotch and nares (nostrils) is what is advised. I've gotten a few nasal carriers cleared with it.

We had Steven Johnson Syndrome due to antibiotic reaction here also.

You sing my song.

I ended up having a fairly significant personality change over the experience; hyper vigilant, probably clinical level behaviors from it. I'm a serious drama queen on the issue of Septra and MRSA now. Don't even get me started on Ciprofloxin either....lol

I have been known to gently educate (lecture ;)) moms who misuse antibiotics because I am now a huge advocate of fighting antibiotic resistance.

Yes, but an estimated 50%+ of antibiotics given in the United States are given to farm animals (most of whom live in feed lots and are given the antibiotics preemptively), so you might need to expand those you are educating.

We have had many, many MRSA infections in our house - well over 20 between dh (mostly), myself, and dd. I have been told by an ID (Infectious Disease) doc that CA-MRSA is pretty much everywhere, so you can't avoid coming in contact with it.

We have now switched to using these more natural methods of prevention and treatment (since antibiotics were working less and less anyway). I can't make a recommendation for following the protocols described in her book, since we've only been following the recommended methods a few weeks, but both dh & I feel the book is very well researched and written.

Posting in case anyone else gets as desperate as we have been.

Originally Posted by Hausunterricht viewpost.gif

You might consider giving her bleach baths. I know it sounds awful.

Eeek. It sounds very awful. I would worry about getting it either too concentrated or not concentrated enough, and also, horrendous skin reactions. I've seen people get horrible red backs of legs just from popping up onto the exam table before the bleach could dry and the nurse could get the paper roll back on. Thinking of it on a child, in the vulXa or under the foreskin makes me grimace.

Hibiclens scrubs total body daily with bactroban applied to armpits, crotch and nares (nostrils) is what is advised. I've gotten a few nasal carriers cleared with it.

It's interesting that you advise against bleach baths. My dd has had severe severe eczema since she was about 2 months old and one of the things the dermatologist told us to try was 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach in a full bath. I've since read about it in other places as a treatment for eczema. The derm was part of a faculty practice and I think the study was later published. At the time I mentioned the bleach advice to the ped and he seemed surprised but didn't think it would be harmful. I believe the idea was to kill bacteria on the skin to keep redness and secondary infections down.

Where was your infection? If it was near your tailbone, it was probably a pilonidal cyst that became infected with MRSA.

Absolutely they can resolve without antibiotics. In fact, the appropriate treatment of an uncomplicated MRSA infection is to open it and let it drain. Often, this is enough and antibiotics aren't necessary.

Off topic... but persons with diabetes, dermatitis, and weakened immune systems are more likely to develop staph infections that can cause carbuncles.

Guest inoubliable

Not near my tailbone. It's on my lower back but almost on my side. Still there to this day.

Thanks for the quote on draining. Wondering now if I should go back and insist that they take a second look...

It's interesting that you advise against bleach baths. My dd has had severe severe eczema since she was about 2 months old and one of the things the dermatologist told us to try was 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach in a full bath. I've since read about it in other places as a treatment for eczema.

I suppose I am flavored by the fact I have spent my life working with people who just aren't quite "all there". When a mom is so sedated she stands there mumbling about desperately needing Pecoset oblivious that she's holding a bottle upside down while the milk drips onto the baby sitting is a carrier on the floor and I make the 2nd journey down "do I call CPS lane", I shudder to think about the accidental over dosing of bleach especially on a child who is too young to protest. Plus, when you look it up, the hibiclens and bactroban for MRSA carriers is what is listed, not bleach (e.g. The Sanford Guide and Up-To-Date Online.)

Eczema can indeed become "impetigo-ized", and I've had (ie a patient who had) a really bad case which the dermatologist treated with a vastly expensive topical, whose name I can't remember (but how funny, I remember exactly where I was sitting when I argued with the hospital's "cost control" pharmacist over it. I just kept describing the skin in more and more graphic adjectives until she got disgusted, Okay'd it, and ran out. ;)). But, at least of third of his body was an oozing, raw mess.

Edited by kalanamak

There are two "kinds" of MRSA. Hospital acquired MRSA is a much stronger bacteria than community acquired MRSA, which is what most healthy people are getting now. DH, DD4, and I have all had MRSA infections. They require strong antibiotics, but our doctors have not been overly concerned.

It is also regional. Our "hospital acquired" MRSA (patients literally get it at the hospital) has the sensitivity profile of "community acquired" MRSA elsewhere. I say this just so people won't rely on "well, he wasn't in the hospital, so it can't be the really bad kind". These are more like nicknames of trends, not of absolutes. That is why a culture is so important.

BTW, it is passed on in our CME lectures that people who have recurring furuncles from MRSA are more likely to get a fatal MRSA pneumonia after having the flu, so flu shots are encouraged for them.

Turned out it was resistant to the antibiotic first doc had been giving me.

Let me guess: Keflex.

I heard a lecture recently called "the death of Keflex". We have a huge resistance to it out here, yet I see old-timers prescribing it right and left.

Any staph aureus can look like that. Given there is so much MRSA at our hospital, we always treat to cover it, but culture and cut back on the antibiotics if it is MSSA. I have learned I cannot tell MRSA from MSSA by look or smell (pseudomonas I can smell).

Rule of thumb: a big "bug bite" in an odd place or at an odd time of year is probably an S.Aureus infection.

I "know" that is true in my head, but the way she responds to it is very recognizable. I was hesitant to post anything, but since running into so many who do not even know what it is I decided to give it a shot.

The first time we brought her in her I brought her in for a spider bite. Her Dr. saw her in the hallway and immediately said, "That's MRSA." He then started calling for a nurse and tray of instruments so he could lance it and get the culture.

Sure enough it was.

My other hesitation is that people would just think it looked like a really bad bug bite, so I appreciate the poster who posted her dd's scrape.

Thanks for the info ladies! Can someone tell me the difference between a staph infection and MRSA? Is MRSA a type of staph? Could someone add some clarification to the "nose" comment? MRSA is carried in your nose and you spread it to open wounds???

Thanks for the info ladies! Can someone tell me the difference between a staph infection and MRSA? Is MRSA a type of staph? Could someone add some clarification to the "nose" comment? MRSA is carried in your nose and you spread it to open wounds???

First off, I skipped from the first page of this thread to this page, skipping three pages of comments. That said...

Good ol' homeschoolin' -- we studied this this year as my son was in a microbe event for Science Olympiad.

The difference between MRSA and a non-MRSA staph is simply that MRSA is resistant to many antibiotics and harder to treat. To the eye, it looks the same (angry sore, often with pus or red streaks -- see knee photo on first page). A culture can confirm MRSA. They put germs on a plate and try methicillin (or other antibiotic) on the plate to see if it kills it. Non-MRSA infections are more easily controlled. MRSA infections are real boogers and often doctors struggle to find ANY medicine, even expensive ones with nasty side effects -- some only available via IV -- that will kill the bacteria, which is always mutating and developing resistance.

Any infected sore indicates a trip to the MD or ER. A culture can determine what antibiotic works on the germs in that sore. Doctors try to be careful to use the "smallest gun" on an infection as a matter of practicing good "community health" because using a "big gun" on a staph that is more easily killed leads to antibiotic resistance.

Whenever a child gets injured, it's important to wash out that wound with regular soap and water, discourage the child from picking at the sore, and then keep a good eye on the wound. If it is not healing the way it should, time to get it checked.

So the difference between MRSA and a non-MRSA staph is that the MRSA germs have developed more resistance to certain antibiotics, making them harder to treat. They kill, not because they are so fast acting or destructive, but because we have a hard time (or impossible time!) controlling them and they multiply rapidly. An untreated non-MRSA staph would do the same thing.

Thank you for posting this. My oldest son had MRSA in high school (not homeschooled) and I didn't recognize it right away. He showed me this "sore" on his leg and I told him it looked like a bug bite. A few days later he complained about it again and asked if he should go to the doctor who volunteers to see athletes at our school. (We have a vocational program in athletic health care at our high school.) It was turning red, swelling, and spreading and I told him to see the doctor before school. I got a call from the school. At first he didn't think it was MRSA, but he drained it and changed his mind and treated it. My son still has a "hole" in his leg from the infection. BTW, I'm thankful we have this doctor in our school who volunteers his time to treat athletes. He also sent a neighbor to get a sore leg checked out and the boy ended up have a rare, life threatening form of bone cancer. It ended his dream of pro football, but likely saved his life.

Warning female content ahead. Also, with everything happening in my family (MRSA and ds recent anaphylactic reaction) you might think me a troll. Please know I have been here awhile and am not.

Below contains some female content, just warning you.

Background timeline: Sunday I was in Urgent Care for a yeast or bacterial vaginoses infection that would not clear up. The Dr covered all bases and prescribed for both conditions. Mon, ds has anaphylactic reaction and secondary reaction, I am not improving. Tues, we get son taken care of at Dr and notice dd's MRSA. Tues night I am worse not better. Wed I head in to the Dr with an unknown vaginal infection that I have now been battling for almost 2 weeks, that is not improving with antibiotics and prescription yeast meds. You guessed it! It is not a yeast infection. :glare: At some point I picked up the same strain of staph dd has. Don't worry I will not be sharing any pictures of this!!!! ;)

It has been a hellish week! I guess what I want to pass on, is that if there is a chance you have MRSA in your environment and you develop a yeast infection, please take extra precautions with your personal hygiene.

Also, ds and dd are doing very well. Dd had very little pus this morning and seems to be responding well.

Did your dd develop asthma-like symptoms after she was on the vanco, by any chance?

DC was on vanco for a long time for an unknown, recurring infection. At the end of the treatment, we were in the ER for quick-onset, serious asthma symptoms. :(

No, she developed a rash and then her skin started peeling off her body. She did not experience breathing difficulty.

I am sorry about your experience though. :grouphug:

Warning female content ahead. Also, with everything happening in my family (MRSA and ds recent anaphylactic reaction) you might think me a troll. Please know I have been here awhile and am not.

Below contains some female content, just warning you. ...

;)

It has been a hellish week! I guess what I want to pass on, is that if there is a chance you have MRSA in your environment and you develop a yeast infection, please take extra precautions with your personal hygiene.

Also, ds and dd are doing very well. Dd had very little pus this morning and seems to be responding well.

Oh that is so horrible! :grouphug: I am so sorry for you. I hope you improve soon.

Heeeeey, dh has mentioned a 'funny bug bite like bump' on his arm twice this week.

Urg.

And he said he 'popped' it and stuff came out.

Double urg.

I will be looking closer and asking more questions when he gets home. Thanks for this thread.