Menu

What time does your 4-5 year old go to bed?

What time does your preschooler go to bed?  

1. 1. What time does your preschooler go to bed?

• 6:00 to 6:59
    • 7:00 to 7:29
    • 7:30 to 7:59
    • 8:00 to 8:29
    • 8:30 to 9:00
    • Other :)

Wow, I am shocked at all the late bedtimes for the little ones. Mine go to bed at 7. I believe it is healthy for them to get a good nights rest and to stick to the same bed time when possible. My kids very rarely get sick and I attribute part of that to them getting adequate rest.

I'm shocked someone thinks that's a helpful comment.

I guess some of us don't care if our kids are healthy. (My kids have zero health problems, but I guess that's just dumb luck.)

By the way, whenever I read a list of common traits of gifted kids, one item on the list is less than average need for sleep. I observe that here with one kid. The other naps or sleeps in. It's all good. I also happen to be a night owl and have no desire to be woken by kids in the early hours.

If I put them to bed at 7, we'd get essentially zero time together in the evenings. Plus, there would be less consistency since we have so many scheduled things that happen in the evenings. I guess I could quit my job and use up my savings in order to spend more time with my kids prior to 7pm, but at this point I think I'll just keep ruining my kids' health instead. :glare:

My almost 4 yo goes to bed at 6:30. It used to be 8, then 7, but every time we'd move it earlier, she would still wake up at the same time, so we figured, why not? Now we start bedtime when dinner gets over.

She doesn't go immediately to sleep. She usually plays quietly with her stuffed animals (and her Percy train she sleeps with) for a few hours, but she seems to really love that time. In fact, both of my older girls love bedtime and get excited to go to bed. I don't know how we got so lucky.

My 4 y/o (and the 7 y/o too, FWIW) is generally in bed around 9:30-10ish. She wakes around 8:30 in the morning, so she's still getting a good 10.5-11 hours of sleep at the minimum. Frankly, I wouldn't want her to go to bed too much earlier than that on a regular basis. And (ducking flying tomatoes here) I've always felt sorry for the kids on really strict schedules who are in bed when it's still light outside. It's miserable to lie there in bed while you can still hear other children still outside playing. I used to be that kid and I can just remember tears streaming down my face at the injustice. :glare:

Besides the bias of my childhood memories of an early bedtime, we're usually just eating dinner around 7:30-8:00ish. Going to bed much earlier would mean that my kids don't really see their father during the week.

My 4 y/o (and the 7 y/o too, FWIW) is generally in bed around 9:30-10ish. She wakes around 8:30 in the morning, so she's still getting a good 10.5-11 hours of sleep at the minimum. Frankly, I wouldn't want her to go to bed too much earlier than that on a regular basis. And (ducking flying tomatoes here) I've always felt sorry for the kids on really strict schedules who are in bed when it's still light outside. It's miserable to lie there in bed while you can still hear other children still outside playing. I used to be that kid and I can just remember tears streaming down my face at the injustice. :glare:

Besides the bias of my childhood memories of an early bedtime, we're usually just eating dinner around 7:30-8:00ish. Going to bed much earlier would mean that my kids don't really see their father during the week.

I was one of those kids as well... but my kids still go to bed at 7:30 and lights are out by 8 (for the oldest that is) because my kids also feel it is "injustice" that they don't get soda for breakfast, candy all day long every day, and have to eat no vegetables like the neighbor kid they play with... does that mean that I would let them do those things too just because they feel it is unfair????? NO WAY!

However, the bolded part of your comment is key in my opinion. If their father doesn't get home until later, then I totally understand. That time with Daddy at night is important. Plus as long as kids are getting ENOUGH sleep that is really all that matters, it's what works for YOUR family that is key. Some kids need 12 or more hours a night, some are good on 9-10 with a nap here and there. I have both in our house :) It keeps things interesting.

Between 8:30 and 9. Both our 5 year old and 3 year old same time. Sometimes it was later because daughter had soccer games that went until 8 pm and had to eat dinner get bath and then bed so some nights were as late as 10 and man did we know about it in the morning...our oldest needs a good bedtime for sure...at least 8 hours of sleep or she is very grouchy.If she gets her full sleep then she is up before us and dressed.

I was one of those kids as well... but my kids still go to bed at 7:30 and lights are out by 8 (for the oldest that is) because my kids also feel it is "injustice" that they don't get soda for breakfast, candy all day long every day, and have to eat no vegetables like the neighbor kid they play with... does that mean that I would let them do those things too just because they feel it is unfair????? NO WAY!

I think that the difference is that limiting those other things is beneficial to a child's health. If a child is staying awake in bed, they certainly aren't getting the extra sleep they were put to bed to get. I'll admit that occasionally bedtime is moved earlier because I am out of sorts, not my children. Having a sane mama is good for them, but it isn't the same as putting them to bed because they need that extra time. (That scenario happens too though.) I'm sure my parents did the same on occasion.

Of course, I also see a big difference between running around outside during the summer until it gets dark and staying up late playing video games. I'm completely subjective like that. :lol:

I think my 10 year old was sick 2x in 10 years. He has never been much of a sleeper. Even as an infant.

Yep, I think people are wired differently, as far as sleep goes. I have one kid that is always falling asleep by 9, and often goes to bed at 8:30, and he's 11 years old, and he gets up at 6 am, he just can't sleep later. Then I have another kid who just can't fall asleep before 10 p.m. and she has a hard time waking before 9. I let them read in bed at night for awhile, but they're older.

At preschool age, I aimed for 7:30 or 8:00, mostly for my sanity. I needed that time alone in the evening.

Actually to bed...not counting baths, brush teeth or storytime. My daughter has always had a fairly early bed time and we start the routine at about 6:30. Depending on how long of a day she had, she gets a longer bath and more stories or a dunk to get clean and one story. She's usually in bed at 7 or 7:30, on some very extreme rare occasion 8. I'm wondering if this is weird or unusual since I've received comments about how early we put our girls to bed.

So....what time does your preschooler (4-5yo) go to bed?

We are exactly the same as you for both a 5 and 7 year old.

We used to try to get our boys into bed by 7:30-8:00 and we always got lots of comments about being weird and inflexible.

:iagree: Us, too.

Whether my kids go to bed at 7 or 10, they are up at the same time. The difference is if they are in a good mood or if it's a day from you-know-where. :glare:

Suggesting that time to bed = health is :confused:. Now, I will agree that there are health benefits to getting adequate sleep. And if a certain child can't sleep past well, 5 a.m., then OK, that child needs a fixed, earlier bedtime.

My vote was Other. This time of year? My 5 yr. old goes to bed around 9:30 - 10 pm. (In the winter, it's closer to 8:45 - 9 pm.) He's had 9+ hours so far, and is going strong in getting some more here this morning. :D He also is the type to nap as needed, usually about 4x a week. So in his case, I don't worry about an exact bedtime, but I do like a general range to provide a framework of consistency.

Additional thought: In the summer, his later bed time means he gets the benefit of stress-free walks on the beach in the twilight/night! I think would outweigh the stress that would be induced by trying to put him to bed artificially early in the summer.

I agree with the bolded and we are much the same way. My kids are night owls. DH is a night owl. I would rather go to bed at 9 and wake up at 5 am to go running before everyone wakes up....that is if I could ever get myself to bed by 9-10 but that hasn't happened yet.

We live in the PNW and it is very dreary much of the year. We have mild beautiful summers, and NO WAY are we staying inside one second longer than we must! Sometimes it is 11 and they literally fall into bed and sleep 10 hours, sometimes it is 10. Sometimes we decide at 9pm while it is still light to go for a walk. DH doesn't get home until 6:30-7 and we have dinner right away, then they still get to have some meaningful time with dad while I do chores.

Wow, I am shocked at all the late bedtimes for the little ones. Mine go to bed at 7. I believe it is healthy for them to get a good nights rest and to stick to the same bed time when possible. My kids very rarely get sick and I attribute part of that to them getting adequate rest.

Mine get a good night's sleep most nights and they don't go to bed until 10. As far as health, they are all healthy. We've only had a handful of sick visits ever (some have NEVER had a sick visit!) They get up between 7 and 8 most mornings.

When they go to school and have to be up at 6am, then bedtime will be earlier.

I voted 'other'. My DS5 goes to bed at the same time as his older brothers. They all pile into my bed sometime around 9.30 to 10 pm and I then read to them for about an hour. DS5 is usually snoring within about 2 minutes, much to the amusement of his brothers.

My 4 year old goes to bed between 7:30 and 8:00. It just works for our family best this way for a large number of reasons. Getting the toddler to bed this early would be even nicer, but we are not winning there - maybe when she stops napping.

It wouldn't be healthy for me to start my day at 1am, which is what'd happen if my kids consistently went to bed at 7pm. They go to sleep when they go to sleep and wake up when they wake up and they're healthier than I am, lol. My aunt used to tell me my kids didn't sleep enough, but short of hitting them over the head with a brick, I'm not sure what to do about it. Some kids don't sleep for 12 hours a night plus an afternoon nap, sadly!

I used to be sent to bed at 7.30 even in summer until I was 15. :( Finally, I was able to make a case for staying up an extra hour because the four year old down the road didn't go to bed until 8.30. We spent hours of our lives staring at the ceiling waiting for the guy next door to finish playing his drums so we could sleep and hours waiting for it to get dark enough to sleep in summer because our parents didn't even put up curtains that blocked the light. Apparently it was because we needed the rest. I think it was because they did.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Apparently it was because we needed the rest. I think it was because they did.

When I was a young teen, as my mom went upstairs to bed while telling me to watch my much-younger siblings (9 and 13 years my junior), I asked her why said sibs did not have a bedtime like I'd had. My mom's response: "Bedtime is not for the kids, it's for the parents. And since I have you, I can go to bed whether the little kids are up or not. Good night!"

My girls aren't sleepers. My small girl goes to bed between 8pm and 8:30pm but I don't know exactly how fast she falls asleep. She is usually up between 5am and 5:30am. And they are both non-stop energy all day though we do have a quiet time where they play in their rooms. I'm tired...:D

When I was a young teen, as my mom went upstairs to bed while telling me to watch my much-younger siblings (9 and 13 years my junior), I asked her why said sibs did not have a bedtime like I'd had. My mom's response: "Bedtime is not for the kids, it's for the parents. And since I have you, I can go to bed whether the little kids are up or not. Good night!"

Sorry if this is a painful memory for you but it made me laugh :lol:. Bedtimes being for the parents is true imo. We are in the self-regulated but guided camp here. I would love to have a strict "children in bed at 7:30" rule but my nightowl child simply would stare at the ceiling every night for 3-5 hours and I don't think that is fair to her.

My boys stay up until 9:30 or 10:00 to get to spend more time with dad. My Dh works until 6:30 or 7 most nights, so we eat as soon as he gets home, spend some family time together and start the bedtime routine at 9:00. They sleep until 8:30 or 9:00 am.

Since I have two kids attending PS, one in HS and the other in 8th grade, we wake up at 5:30 am, every day.. Because of this my littles who are 8,7,4,&3 go to bed at 7, and are usually asleep by 7:30-8:00. I cannot wait until school is out, and we can move to a more "reasonable" wake up time, and conversely bed time will be moved.

All of my children have gone to bed later than the norm. 10 or so usually. I have very healthy kids. It is years in between doctor visits for all of them. So, I do not think an early bed time=healthy. They do however, get plenty of sleep. They do not wake up until 9 or so. It just works for our family. =)

DD will be 4 in about a week. Most nights she gets to sleep around 10:30. Sometimes a little later, sometimes a little earlier. She wakes up about 9:30. It works for us. I've been thinking lately I'd like to move us back an hour to hour and a half for summer so she's awake earlier and we don't miss all the good morning hours for outdoor play.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I appreciate it. I am glad that I am not the only one that puts their little ones to bed earlier, however what I noticed is that the controversy sounds like those that don't put their little ones to bed earlier, definitely think it is weird. I understand why I get the comments now. :lol:

The girls wake up at the same time, no matter what time they go to bed and they generally fall asleep within 10-15 minutes of lights out...even with the sun still up, kids still playing outside, guests talking downstairs, teen boys stomping through the house, etc.

my 4 yr old goes to bed between 8 and 9 depending on whether or not the bigs have an extracurric or we are otherwise busy. She very very rarely naps anymore so by 8 she is beat. THough On friday night we got home at midnight(we were at scout camp) and she was awake and happy that whole time and was out cold within seconds of her head hitting the pillow, getting her back up at 8 to go back to camp was another story however lol

On a normal day she sleeps until 830-9am so nearly 12 hours of sleep a night usually

My 4-year-old goes to bed around 10:30 pm. He is able to sleep as long as he needs, which means he sleeps until 9 am or later. He's very healthy, so I agree with the previous poster that a later bedtime isn't unhealthy if the total amount of sleep is adequate. We do this in part because it works with my husband's schedule. He doesn't leave for work until sometime between 10:15 am and 12:15 pm most days, so we do things a little later than most families that have a parent leaving for work on a more typical schedule around 8 am or so. Ah, the benefits of homeschooling!

Thanks so much for all the replies. I appreciate it. I am glad that I am not the only one that puts their little ones to bed earlier, however what I noticed is that the controversy sounds like those that don't put their little ones to bed earlier, definitely think it is weird. I understand why I get the comments now. :lol:

The girls wake up at the same time, no matter what time they go to bed and they generally fall asleep within 10-15 minutes of lights out...even with the sun still up, kids still playing outside, guests talking downstairs, teen boys stomping through the house, etc.

No, I don't think it is weird. :) I think it works for your family, and that is great!

What I don't like is the assumption in either direction that one is right and therefore the other must be wrong. Perhaps either answer (early/late) is within the window of "right" based upon a family's schedule and the child's individual needs.

I don't think it is weird, just not my choice for my family.

I only find of weird when there are no exceptions for special occasions and activities. Family members who only hang put at a holiday meal for an hour because the kids have to be in bed and kids who can't go to am activoty that will last past bedtime every now and then.

Oh gosh! I don't think it's weird! I totally WISH my girls would go to bed earlier...and sleep in too. And nap. And sit still for a while. :tongue_smilie:

Usually 7:30.

Later in the summer - 8 or 8:30 to bed. Catching fireflies, enjoying the cooler temps outside, cooking out with friends, playing with neighbors etc.

Because we are usually at the pool in the am, they are wiped out by the afternoon and often nap, so the later bedtime works for our summer schedule.

Nice too since DH has been working later recently. If they went to bed at 7:30, they'd only see him for a few minutes in the evening.

Dd will sleep in, but DS is an early bird and rarely sleeps past 6:15. I hear, " Mommy I'm hungry!" whispered in my ear no later than 6:30, if I don't get up before that. :)

When my firstborn was 4/5, she went to bed around 7, sometimes 7:30....it worked, but I will say it was difficult to have a social life. :) We were pastors at the time so many times we would have to put her to bed while meetings were in full swing/guests were still enjoying dessert etc.

Now that DS is almost 5, and during the school year he goes to bed at 8 (wakes at 7), but during the summer its 8:30 (he sleeps until 8am). It works and frankly, gives our family (and older child) a lot more flexibility. We occasionally have DS take a nap as needed...

Right. Ball games here in the summer are 6, 7 and 8 p.m. DD will be taking gymnastics in the fall. The class will be from 6 to 7 p.m. No way to do these things with an early bedtime.

I only find of weird when there are no exceptions for special occasions and activities. Family members who only hang put at a holiday meal for an hour because the kids have to be in bed and kids who can't go to am activoty that will last past bedtime every now and then.

My 5 1/2 year old shares a room with his 8 1/2 yr old brother. They are in bed at 8, I read to the 5 yr old first then switch to the 8 yr old. Generally the 5 yr old falls asleep while I am reading to the older one, somewhere around 8:30.

They get up on the late side, around 8 am.

Not weird to me. I've always thought it strange for people to allow their little ones to stay up until 9 or later. :001_huh:

:iagree:

My 5yr old and 2.5yr old both go to bed around 630-7pm. If DD has a nap during the day, she won't be tired and I let her look at books in bed for around 30min and lights out 745 ish.

The thing is if you have kids that need to sleep early, outings will not be fun or enjoyable at all if it is way past their bedtime.

My kids have never been ones to sleep places other than their own beds, and DD gets overtired and is impossible to get to sleep when we take her out late. We will go out on occassion, but it's not fun for any of us when we get home. And the next day is a write off.

I don't like going out at night anyway, because MY bedtime is around 830-9pm! :lol:

Kids in bed by 7pm, we get a few hrs to ourselves in the evening. We are all up at 6am. BTW it's winter here and dark at 5pm :)