Menu

Outdoor cats/neighbor concerns - what do you do?

Neighbor A has two cats that he allows outdoors daily. He knows these cats leave his yard and feels comfortable with that. They typically take care of themselves and it does not appear that they are out past 10 in the evening.

Neighbor B loves his cars. He has spent a lot of money fixing them, driving them and spiffing them up.

One day, Neighbor B finds Neighbor A's cat in his car. (The windows were rolled down.) He moved the cat and went about his business. The next day, B finds a cat sitting on top of the car. By way of a mutual neighbor B tells A that this is too much and A needs to control the cats.

Should B just get a squirt gun to deter cats from being around the car? Should A attempt to not let these cats out again? What do you think?

Neighbor A should look up the leash laws for cats in your city and act accordingly.

Neighbor B should feel free to use a squirt gun, hose, or other means of cat repellants to keep the cats off his property and might want to look up the leash laws too. If Neighbor A is violating them by having free range cats he can call the city if the cats become a nuisance. That should be a last resort for Neighbor B as it will become tense if he does that.

You can't just tell a cat "don't go near the car".

Even if he rolls the windows up, that won't stop the cat from sunning on his car. And if he's decided he likes that spot, he'll keep coming back. I'd worry about scratch marks from him jumping on to the car. And scratches or not, it's his car he's entitled to not want cats on it.

I think the cats are entitled to go out, but car guy is entitled to to be cat free as well. A squirt gun is a good idea. They'll get the idea. (unless they were my cats, who LIKED water!) Luckily this is easier to solve than cats the use your flower garden for a litter box. You are more likely to see the cats/know when they'll trying to get on the car versus only finding the evidence.

A squirt gun of water works incredibly well to train cats.

I've told a neighbor that he's welcome to use water if my cat bothers his cat (they are both allowed outdoors during the day, and actually sort of hang out together). The neighbor had never done that to my knowledge. I trust them to use decent judgment with spraying my cat with water since they're cat owners themselves.

And I've used water on a different neighbor's cat that was bothering ours -- that cat is a bully, and none of the other cats like him. I filled a 2 quart pitcher with water and threw the water at him and managed to give him a decent soaking. The bully cat now runs away whenever he sees me, and tends to go AROUND our yard. This happened a couple of years ago, and sometimes we need to review the lesson with another pitcher of water, which usually misses him (it's hard to throw 2 quarts of water accurately at a running target) but gets the point across.

Some what simliar situation.

When I was a kid we had cats, and one of them - Tiger was hunter. Our neighbor loved birds and had numerous bird houses.

He threaten (in good nature) to hang our cat up by his balls. We pointed out he couldn't since she was a girl. He ended up getting lots of water guns. He would then sit out in the backyard watching and waiting.

We once put a bell on our cat. She learnt to hunt with one paw holding the bell in place.

When the cat died of old age the neighbor came to the funeral. He was quoted a few times in the years after that - that he missed the cats, and the challenge of hunting it. He said it ended up giving him such a thrill of the hunt.

The neighbor died of basically old age himself a few years later.

Some what simliar situation.

When I was a kid we had cats, and one of them - Tiger was hunter. Our neighbor loved birds and had numerous bird houses.

He threaten (in good nature) to hang our cat up by his balls. We pointed out he couldn't since she was a girl. He ended up getting lots of water guns. He would then sit out in the backyard watching and waiting.

We once put a bell on our cat. She learnt to hunt with one paw holding the bell in place.

When the cat died of old age the neighbor came to the funeral. He was quoted a few times in the years after that - that he missed the cats, and the challenge of hunting it. He said it ended up giving him such a thrill of the hunt.

The neighbor died of basically old age himself a few years later.

Great story! What a smart cat!

Great story! What a smart cat!

I think the battle went on for 10 years.

The neighbor tried water guns, the hose, .... nothing he tired worked. One thing he didn't try is something my inlaws neighbor did.

One neighbor had a cat that liked to get to my FILs bird feeder. So my FIL put a grate under the bird feeder he then hooked the grate up to a "vibrating coil" (It converts low amp to high amps) when the cat got on the grate he zaped it. It jumped up straight in the air. When it landed he zapped it again.

The cat then ran home and hid under the bed. The cat was fine, but never again came back to trouble that bird feeder.

It would depend on the ordinances for your area. Yes to the water gun, but I know in my town it is a $75 fine if your cats are roaming the town, and if they potty in someone else's yard you could be looking at up to $300 in fines. If there is a law in place than neighbor B could remind neighbor A and if he keeps leaving the cats out report it to the appropriate place. If there is no such law than load up with water guns.

The neighbor with the cats should keep the cats inside. Pets do not have a right to roam the neighborhoods/town/city. I say this as a lifelong pet owner and someone who identifies more as a cat person than a dog person.

The neighbor with the car needs to be careful not to frighten the cat when the cat is on the car. Frightening the cat with a squirt of water or other means can cause the cat to freak out and inadvertently scratch the car.

Cats roam. Neighbor B needs to keep his windows rolled up and chill.

Really? Cars cost thousands of dollars. How happy would anyone here be if a cat scratched the paint on their car? Or if the cat peed in it?

Edited by SJ.

Really? Cars cost thousands of dollars. How happy would anyone here be if a cat scratched the paint on their car? Or if the cat peed in it?

Cars cost thousands of dollars so cover it up or put it in a garage. . . I've never ever known of a cat scratching the paint on a car. And I wouldn't consider leaving a car's windows open so that anyone could steal something in it or hotwire the car or so that an animal could get into it. . .

Neighbor B should feel free to use a squirt gun, hose, or other means of cat repellants to keep the cats off his property

Absolutely.

Although I don't fault Neighbor A for his cat going into Neighbor B's car. Neighbor B should keep the windows up. If Neighbor A won't keep his cats from bothering people, the people certainly have an expectation that they can themselves then keep the cats off of their property.

Time for the squirt gun - his own fault for leaving windows down and letting kitty see how comfy the car it. He should take it as a compliment that kitty likes his car!

Kitty's owner should pay for any claw marks, though.

Note - I have always had cats. Growing up, our cats were indoor/outdoor and several got torn up in cat fights or squished by cars. The fleas were terrible! And, yes, they liked to sit on our and the neighbor's cars, too.

Now, as a grown=up, all my cats are indoor only. NO FLEAS! No bite marks from fights with other cats defending territory (etc.) or squished cats! OK - maybe some squished cats but that is from then running under my feet when i walk through the house. I have three indoor cats now. I also have Labrador and he goes into the fenced backyard or walkies on leash (or runs at dog park).

Edited by JFSinIL

It drives me crazy to deal with the neighbor's cats when they are on our cars! It hangs out on DH's car until he chases them off when he leaves for work (which results, usually, in me having to put the baby in her playpen and help him, because when he gets the cat off the roof, it goes under his tires. He doesn't want to hurt the cat, so I have to tell him if/when it's clear to drive). Then it moves to my car, so I have to chase the cat off while getting 4 kids in cars eats/booster seats.

I don't feel like its my job to deal with his cats. And I'm not going to buy a hose for the front yard to spray the cat - plus my neighbor would be pissed if I sprayed his cat anyway.

One neighbor had a cat that liked to get to my FILs bird feeder. So my FIL put a grate under the bird feeder he then hooked the grate up to a "vibrating coil" (It converts low amp to high amps) when the cat got on the grate he zaped it. It jumped up straight in the air. When it landed he zapped it again.

This might work in the current situation. I wonder if you could hook up a livestock fencing charger to the car...

I would also suggest not squirting the cat on a car. My dad has very deep claw tracks in his dining table, from when he snuck up on my childhood cat.

I'm also not too concerned with cats sitting on the car. In the car? I'd prefer not. I'm allergic, so it would be annoying to me if it was a habit. I also wouldn't want squirrels, birds, or possums in the car, so I roll up the windows.

I don't understand in what planet it is OK for someone elses animal to aggravate me? Why is this even a question at all? No the neighbors cat has no right to get on this car. If you have ever seen the damage a cats nails can do to a paint job you wouldn't want a cat on the car either. I would call the pound or trap them and take them myself. It is her car her property the cats have no business being there.

I don't care if the neighbor can't tell his cat no don't do that. The neighbor owns the cats it is not suppose to be everyone else dealing with them.

I don't understand in what planet it is OK for someone elses animal to aggravate me? Why is this even a question at all? No the neighbors cat has no right to get on this car. If you have ever seen the damage a cats nails can do to a paint job you wouldn't want a cat on the car either. I would call the pound or trap them and take them myself. It is her car her property the cats have no business being there.

I don't care if the neighbor can't tell his cat no don't do that. The neighbor owns the cats it is not suppose to be everyone else dealing with them.

Unfortunately all too often it is "OK" in lots of places right here in the good old US of A.

I can't believe anyone would make such a big deal of a cat sitting on a car. I guess he's within his rights to spray the cat whenever he sees it on his land, but I can't imagine caring that much.

We have alley cats, rats, mice and raccoons in our alley that I know have all touched our car and they belong to no one. Outside is outside. Get over it, I say.

Unfortunately all too often it is "OK" in lots of places right here in the good old US of A.

Well I don't get it at all. The neighbor should have the right to leave his windows open if he wants his car end of story. His property end of story. I own cats and I don't give them the right to aggravate people. I would call the pound like I said. If the neighbor loved his animals so much he wouldn't let them roam in the city anyway or be anothers aggravation.

He should feel lucky out here they would just get shot.

If I were neighbor B, I think I might invest in a very large dog. Or two.:tongue_smilie:

Then neighbor A will all boo hoo boo hoo crying his cat got hurt. Why let a cat roam in the city anyway? It is not the driver who may hit its fault. It is not the fault of dogs on their own property if the rip it up. I like the mentality out here in the country, the neighbor would get a personal visit and told to keep their animal under control. If the neighbor chose not too well then they may get a call to pick up the corpse.

The majority of the neighbors take care of their animals too alot better than people in the city from what I saw. I wonder what neighbor is having to deal with those cats using their yard as a litter box?

The problem is the outside car. Birds, squirrels, dropping fruit from a neighboring tree, and a host of other things beyond the cat could damage his car. (True story--a squirrel once tried building a nest in my husband's car engine when it was parked outside overnight!)

If neighbor B *loves* his car, he should park it in a garage with the windows rolled up.

In my city, leash laws apply to cats and dogs.

We call trappers to take care of possums and raccoons (they carry some nasty diseases.). So, no, we don't have lots of wild furry critters running around my suburban neighborhood. Rabbits seem to be about it.

I don't think cats have more right to irritate neighbors than dogs do. And I think potential scratch marks on the car is a very real problem. I wonder which neighbor will be responsible for paying to get them fixed?

Our suburban neighborhood has raccoons, skunks, mice, and possums. Any one of those animals can do the damage a cat can do. Here, a car-lover would need to cover his car to protect it from more than just a roaming cat. (I'm guessing he doesn't have a garage? That's where our cars stay.)

In my city, leash laws apply to cats and dogs.

We call trappers to take care of possums and raccoons (they carry some nasty diseases.). So, no, we don't have lots of wild furry critters running around my suburban neighborhood. Rabbits seem to be about it.

I don't think cats have more right to irritate neighbors than dogs do. And I think potential scratch marks on the car is a very real problem. I wonder which neighbor will be responsible for paying to get them fixed?

Well gee, it will be the neighbor who owns the car. I mean how stupid is that to expect your car is safe on your own property? I mean when people work hard for something and keep it on their property don't you know the neighbor who is too lazy to care for his animals has the right to tear it up. I really hate when people let their animals become someone elses problem.

I'm on the side of the cat owner shouldn't let their cats roam and annoy people (and I'm a cat owner). I love cats, but do not love them in my yard. Until we finally got the rest of our yard fenced last fall, I'd have piles and piles of cat poo on the south side of my yard (I guess because in the winter it stayed warmer and less snow). So I'd have the lovely prospect in the spring of scooping up all this stinky cat poo that wasn't mine, and finding presents the rest of the year (loved "finding" them by rolling over them with the mower tires). Personally, I think that's just rude of the owner(s) of said cats. I have never let my dogs or cats roam and leave deposits all over the neighbors' yards.

We have chickens now and I've taken care to confine them to my yard, but since they are livestock, I can legally shoot any animal harrassing them. I haven't actually shot a cat yet, but shoot near them to scare them off.

If you have ever seen the damage a cats nails can do to a paint job you wouldn't want a cat on the car either. I would call the pound or trap them and take them myself. It is her car her property the cats have no business being there.

Honestly, no, I've never seen the damage a cat's claws can do to a car. We've had outdoor cats my entire life, mot of whom climb on cars. We've had plenty of paw prints, but never, ever a scratch. I honestly thought it would be impossible for a cat to scratch a car in the normal course of events (that is, simply jumping on and off -- a cat fight on the car might be another matter).

Side note: Dh's convertible was considered a primo sleeping spot since the ragtop formed a hammock.

As for keeping the windows down, in our neighborhood you'd be inviting possums and raccoons and squirrels into your car with that open window.

So, no, we don't have lots of wild furry critters running around my suburban neighborhood. Rabbits seem to be about it.

Furry things wandering through our yard, in order of frequency: Squirrels, rabbits, moles, ground squirrels/chipmunks, plus deer, raccoons, possum, coyote (yes, we live in a densely populated suburb of a major urban area, and we have this much wildlife). We've never seen the local mountain lion, which is okay with me -- I don't think it actually comes to our specific neighborhood.

Another furry thing wandering through our yard: neighborhood cats carrying half dead rabbits, moles, ground squirrels, and, yes, once even a squirrel. I think the mice, voles, and rats have probably been hunted out of the area.

We joked that one of our neighbors should rent out her cat for mole removal -- our yards were the only ones without a problem one year. Well, she DID have a problem with finding dead moles on her front porch often, from when the cat left his "prizes".

I can't imagine the population explosion in small furry animals without the cats. Maybe we'd see more foxes, though, as they'd start hanging out due to better hunting conditions.

Our suburban neighborhood has raccoons, skunks, mice, and possums. Any one of those animals can do the damage a cat can do. Here, a car-lover would need to cover his car to protect it from more than just a roaming cat. (I'm guessing he doesn't have a garage? That's where our cars stay.)

Exactly.

When I read this thread I am so very glad I don't have cats. I'm sorry OP that you are having to deal with this, no matter if you are person A or B. I'm not a hugging person so I'll offer you a drink of whatever you like best.

:cheers2:

I feel personally that cats should be allowed to roam. I don't think keeping them locked up in a house is fair. I wouldn't want to be locked up, and I'm sure many cats feel the same way.

I also feel other people have a right not to be bothered by cats. They are allowed to not want cats on there property.

So my solution to this, is we no longer have cats. When they died off for various reasons we never replaced them. I am pretty certain we will never again have cats mainly so we wouldn't have to deal with being Person A, or having to worry about Person B.

Furry things wandering through our yard, in order of frequency: Squirrels, rabbits, moles, ground squirrels/chipmunks, plus deer, raccoons, possum, coyote (yes, we live in a densely populated suburb of a major urban area, and we have this much wildlife). We've never seen the local mountain lion, which is okay with me -- I don't think it actually comes to our specific neighborhood.

Another furry thing wandering through our yard: neighborhood cats carrying half dead rabbits, moles, ground squirrels, and, yes, once even a squirrel. I think the mice, voles, and rats have probably been hunted out of the area.

We joked that one of our neighbors should rent out her cat for mole removal -- our yards were the only ones without a problem one year. Well, she DID have a problem with finding dead moles on her front porch often, from when the cat left his "prizes".

I can't imagine the population explosion in small furry animals without the cats. Maybe we'd see more foxes, though, as they'd start hanging out due to better hunting conditions.

I liked reading your post GailV. We live closer to a small city - as in 1KM to the city center. Grocery stores, two universities, library, banks, downtown area, ...

We have a serious squirrel problem in our garage (use to be our house). We had a family of skunks in our backyard. Our neighbor was complaining about bunnies.

We use to live in the suburbs - picture identical semi-detached houses stretching for miles. We didn't have a cat problem in that neighborhood because of the coyotes.

I'm going to agree that a pet shouldn't be a problem for a neighbor. I like the watergun idea. If a pet comes in my yard, it's fair game.

I don't mind the wandering hunting cats but ONLY because they don't use my yard as a litter box. and don't bother anything else, even when my windows were down or the garage door open. There was one cat I was willing to feed/take care off because it kept the mole population down.

Cats roam. Neighbor B needs to keep his windows rolled up and chill.

Really?? So how should I go about keeping my flower beds free of poo and the baby birds in the nests safe??

Cats should be indoors. It is safer for the cats. How many threads have we had about sad kids because Fluffy ran away, got hit by a car, got attacked by a dog, etc??