Menu

If you have read a good book lately, please share the title.

I have been working on trying to read some classics, Journey to the Center of the Earth was pretty good and I enjoyed Robinson Cruesoe although there were a few gruesome parts, but not nearly as bad as a lot of things that are out there today. I also enjoyed the Cost of Discipleship by Bonheoffer.

It doesn't have to be Christian, but it would be nice to find a 'decent' book. Is that possible? I like a wide variety & summer is upon us. Let's start a list!

Go!! :D

I recently finished the CIRCLE trilogy by Ted Dekker: Black, Red, White. It was really good. I haven't read Green yet, but I hear it's not as good as the others, so I'm in no hurry.

I've been really into Amish fiction lately (which is odd as I'm an atheist) and have read the following in the last few months and enjoyed them all.

These 4 are all books with 3 short stories in each

An Amish Gathering

An Amish Wedding

An Amish Christmas

An Amish Love

Daughter's of the Promise series by Beth Wiseman includes the following 5 books

Plain Perfect

Plain Pursuit

Plain Promise

Plain Paradise

Plain Proposal

The Land of Cannan series by Beth Wiseman spin off of the above series and includes

Seek me with all your heart

The Wonder of your love

New one called His Love Endures Forever comes out in OCT

Patch of Heaven Series by Kelly Long which includes

Sarah's Garden

Lilly's Wedding Quilt

The Hearts of Middlefield Series by Kathleen Fuller which includes

A Man of His Word

An Honest Love

A Hand to Hold

Sister's of the Heart Trilogy by Shelley Sheppard Gray includes

Hidden

Wanted

Forgiven

I'm currently reading Winter's Awakening by Shelley Sheppard Gray.

Yep it was a lot of books but they are all quick reads because they seemed to suck me in.

Well, for a heavy Christian series, I just finished Francine Rivers Mark of the Lion series. It was a great series in my opinion. There are three books in the series and were available at my library with multiple copies of each so hopefully it will be an easy find for you.

I've been really into Amish fiction lately (which is odd as I'm an atheist) and have read the following in the last few months and enjoyed them all.

An Amish Gathering

An Amish Wedding

An Amish Christmas

An Amish Love

Plain Perfect

Plain Pursuit

Plain Promise

Plain Paradise

Plain Proposal

The Land of Cannan series by Beth Wiseman spin off of the above series and includes

The Wonder of your love

Sarah's Garden

Lilly's Wedding Quilt

A Man of His Word

An Honest Love

A Hand to Hold

Hidden

Wanted

Forgiven

Yep it was a lot of books but they are all quick reads because they seemed to suck me in.

Thank you for posting this list. I love Amish fiction and am looking forward to reading these!

I enjoyed reading Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond (Pioneer Woman) a little while back. It was a fast, easy read with nothing bad or even sad. A nice happy book! I wish I could find more books like it.

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls was good in a totally different way.

Other than that I've been reading lots of non-fiction, healthy eating books which are enjoyable to me but I wouldn't consider them fun reads :)

Til We Have Faces is quite possibly my favorite book.

I have recently enjoyed Kate Morton. She wrote The Forgotten Garden, The Distant Hours, and The House at Riverton.

I also second the suggestion for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

Well, since you said it didn't HAVE to be Christian, I'll guess that Christian is okay!

I recently finished 3 books by Lynn Austin- the Chronicles of Kings series. It starts with Gods and Kings and it's a fictional story of King Hezekiah. I only read it because it was a free Nook book one time, but I was really hooked! It would have been a great read even if it wasn't based on a bible character (this was the first Christian fiction I have EVER read and enjoyed) but it kept sending me back to the bible to read about King Hezekiah to know what was fact and what was fiction. I learned a lot- but it was also just really enjoyable.

Well' date=' since you said it didn't HAVE to be Christian, I'll guess that Christian is okay!

I recently finished 3 books by Lynn Austin- the Chronicles of Kings series. It starts with Gods and Kings and it's a fictional story of King Hezekiah. I only read it because it was a free Nook book one time, but I was really hooked! It would have been a great read even if it wasn't based on a bible character (this was the first Christian fiction I have EVER read and enjoyed) but it kept sending me back to the bible to read about King Hezekiah to know what was fact and what was fiction. I learned a lot- but it was also just really enjoyable.[/quote']

Yes! Christian book recommendations are great! The type of books I liketo read don't have to be Christian, but a 'clean' book is good! :D I haven't heard of the books you mentioned. I love Christian historical fiction!

Well, for a heavy Christian series, I just finished Francine Rivers Mark of the Lion series. It was a great series in my opinion. There are three books in the series and were available at my library with multiple copies of each so hopefully it will be an easy find for you.

This series is my all time favorite. I couldn't put them down!

An Amish Gathering

An Amish Wedding

An Amish Christmas

An Amish Love

Plain Perfect

Plain Pursuit

Plain Promise

Plain Paradise

Plain Proposal

The Wonder of your love

Sarah's Garden

Lilly's Wedding Quilt

A Man of His Word

An Honest Love

A Hand to Hold

Hidden

Wanted

Forgiven

I adore Amish Fiction!

have you tried Wanda Brunstetter and Cindy Woodsmall?

I just finished rereading A Room With A View and am about to begin a couple of Josephine Tey mysteries that I somehow never read: A Shilling For Candles and The Singing Sands. Tey was British and wrote clever, unformulaic mysteries.

LOVE J0sephine Tey!!

Have you read Brat Farrar? Oh it's my favorite! I also love Miss Pym Disposes.

I read Tey over and over!

I am also a Pearl S Buck fan.

There's a Welsh author, called Jasper FForde, who writes an amazingly unique set of books. The first in the series is The Eyre Affair. I cannot even explain it- it's fun, satire and brainy- nothing like anything else I've read. I remember it being clean. I would HIGHLY recommend reading it, if you like it, you'll love everything he does.

Also, and this may be a no-brainer- but the Stephanie Plum novels, but Janet Evanovich, are hysterical. I think they're pretty clean, although they're pretty absurd. (And if you fall in love with them like I have, you'll understand how RIDICULOUS it was to cast Katherine Heigl, who I adore, as the lead in the upcoming movie. Just not a good fit!)

I have been working on trying to read some classics, Journey to the Center of the Earth was pretty good and I enjoyed Robinson Cruesoe although there were a few gruesome parts, but not nearly as bad as a lot of things that are out there today. I also enjoyed the Cost of Discipleship by Bonheoffer.

I recently finished Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, it was really good too.

These are not new, but two of my favorites from recent years are:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

My friend recommended this to me, she told me how she and her mom both found it hilarious. So, I bought it for a plane ride. Terrible mistake. As a military wife, I had a completely different experience. I cried and cried. I hate when books make me cry on a plane!

Just finished this one and thought it was great. They even homeschooled for awhile, in Africa:

Twenty Chickens for a Saddle: The Story of an African Childhood

http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Chickens-Saddle-Childhood-ebook/dp/B001D9T80U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337055555&sr=8-1

Also -- to Lee, if you enjoyed the book A Town Like Alice, then I'd highly recommend the mini-series based on it. It's one of my favorites!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081949/

My friend recommended this to me, she told me how she and her mom both found it hilarious. So, I bought it for a plane ride. Terrible mistake. As a military wife, I had a completely different experience. I cried and cried. I hate when books make me cry on a plane!

Huh. My sister, a military wife, is the one who recommended The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society to me. She found is super funny (as did I)! So I'm not sure you found it different just because you are a military wife (my sister had had it recommended to her by another military wife who also found it hilarious). It's interesting how books will strike people completely differently.

Some books I've read recently that I absolutely loved:

- Matched and Crossed (that's two books) by Ally Condie. Reached is the third book and it won't be out until November which is the only problem with reading the other two now. The series is dystopian. Kind of 1984 meets The Giver.

- The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. This was one of my daughter's assigned books (I always read her assigned books because then we can have a real conversation about them). She finished it yesterday and loved it as much as I did.

Then books I haven't read recently, but recommend highly:

- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

- The Goose Girl series by Shannon Hale

Didn't read all replies but I like Colleen Coble books. She lots of series out. Most libraries around here have them. They are definitely Christian - usually mystery with a little side story.

Edited by Liz CA

Huh. My sister, a military wife, is the one who recommended The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society to me. She found is super funny (as did I)! So I'm not sure you found it different just because you are a military wife (my sister had had it recommended to her by another military wife who also found it hilarious). It's interesting how books will strike people completely differently.

How many funerals has she attended? How many widows does she know? That may be the difference.

Here are a few I have read recently and really enjoyed:

THEY ALMOST ALWAYS COME HOME http://www.amazon.com/They-Almost-Always-Come-Home/dp/1426702388/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337124331&sr=1-1 Great story about a lady whose husband doesn't come home as expected from a fishing trip.

WALKING ON BROKEN GLASS http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=walking+on+broken+glass&sprefix=walking+on+br%2Cstripbooks%2C162 Story about a young alcoholic that enters treatment. Not what I would normally read but very thought provoking

WE'LL HAVE THE SUMMER http://www.amazon.com/Well-have-Summer-Dutch-Henry/dp/1603818375/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337124449&sr=1-1 Touching story about a husband and wife and a horse

ALL GOD'S CREATURES http://www.amazon.com/All-Gods-Creatures-Carolyn-McSparren/dp/0967303583/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337124494&sr=1-1 Story of a female vet---similar in style to James Harriot's boots

None of these are specifically Christian books but overall quite wholesome.

It doesn't have to be Christian, but it would be nice to find a 'decent' book. Is that possible? I like a wide variety & summer is upon us. Let's start a list!

Go!! :D

I'm on my way out the door, so don't have time to list all my recent faves, but if you are up for a good Christian fiction read, try fictionfinder.com where you can plug in your preferred genre and see what's available.