Menu

Okay, so what's your least favorite word?

I hate it when people say something "sucks" or they're "pissed off" Surely they can think of something better to say.

When I was in high school, our gym teacher was so fed up with hearing this word, that she sat us down in the locker room and said, "If you girls knew what that word meant, you'd never say it again!" And she proceeded to explain to us exactly what it meant (while we were all laughing hysterically at how she seriously thought we might not know and we might all stop saying it now).

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Am not," with a Cockney accent. I always hated when teachers would say, "Ain't ain't a word." It's clearly a word, and it dates back to at least the early 1700s. The reason it's improper is because it's in Hagrid's dialect, not the Queen's dialect.

My toddler says "amn't" for this! :D I know it's awful but he learned it from his older brother who learned it from his older brother and now the only one who uses it still is the two year old... I'll sort of miss "amn't" when it's gone!

Budget. I hate it and all that it represents.

No. I hate that one too.

Decaf. Sends shivers down my spine.

And here's a real one:

Uvula. My mother is/was a dental assistant and she always taught us the real words for things like that. But uvula is not a pleasant word to say. Ewww.

My now 5 yo was asking what that was in the back of her throat. I told her it was her uvula. She informed me that a gross word and insists on calling it her nunny. That was 2 years ago and she still calls it her nunny.

That is truly my least favorite word.. but I wasn't able to figure out a way to state that here... I'm glad you did it for me.

I have a friend who had to take speech therapy in high school. The "C" word was her least favorite word and she couldn't stand hearing it or saying it. Her speech therapist would have her break up the word Country into 2 distinct syllables/sounds and have her practice saying it over and over until she could say it w/ those 2 distinct sounds. "Count" (pronounced w/ the short u sound) "Tree". My friend was NOT happy!

I hated it when my MIL would refer to my son nursing as "getting his ti**y bottle".

It really bothered me.

My grandmother always would say the babies were getting "ti**y pie". In public, the baby is crying and she's shouting in the restaurant, Oh, that baby needs some "ti**y pie". So when you walk out of the restaurant, every single person in the room watches to go see if you pop out the booKs in the car. Because you certainly can't sit in the restaurant and nurse, because every single person in the room is watching to see exactly what ti**y pie is. :mad:

"Am not," with a Cockney accent. I always hated when teachers would say, "Ain't ain't a word." It's clearly a word, and it dates back to at least the early 1700s. The reason it's improper is because it's in Hagrid's dialect, not the Queen's dialect.

Okey-dokey. I didn't know that. Guess this grammar cop will have to go easier on the ones who say it in the Queen's dialect, huh? ;)

(I'm heading back toward Hagrid's hut now...)

My grandmother always would say the babies were getting "ti**y pie". In public, the baby is crying and she's shouting in the restaurant, Oh, that baby needs some "ti**y pie". So when you walk out of the restaurant, every single person in the room watches to go see if you pop out the booKs in the car. Because you certainly can't sit in the restaurant and nurse, because every single person in the room is watching to see exactly what ti**y pie is. :mad:

:lol::lol::lol:

Hearing "gd" actually makes the hairs on my neck stand up.

I also do not like contractions of any form. I periodically will slip and use them in writing, but really see no general use for them. When I taught my son contractions this year, I told him they were something he should know, he was welcome to use them in his journal and any other personal writing, but he was to never submit anything to me containing contractions.

Krista

I have never laughed so hard reading a thread in my life. You're all hilarious! :smilielol5:

OK, my latest least favorite phrase is:

MY BAD!!!! :tongue_smilie:

I can NOT stand hearing intelligent people say something that sounds so unbelievably ghetto. :ack2:

I must say, it literally makes me "nauseous" :w00t: :lol::lol: [sorry, I couldn't help myself]

Well, this is going to sound mighty dumb compared to all the answers so far (which were completely understandable, btw) but I do not like the word garage. I particularly dislike hearing myself say it. Just thinking about it gives me the willies. Why, why, why is that? There's nothing offensive about that word. I just hate it, though.

I really hate "gifted" when one means "gave." Why can we just "give" somebody something instead of "gifting" them something? Eck!

This is one of mine, too. I don't know where that word came from, but I only started hearing it a few years ago. It's a made-up word. I don't like catchy phrases that are overused, like "multi-tasking" or "quality time". Enough already.

I also hate all of the crude words, and most words relating to body parts or functions. And most especially the cute ones.

Don't come to Canada (or Great Britain) then! LOL That's what most everyone calls it here! I actually now prefer bum to butt. It sounds softer! :lol:
Speaking of "bum"... anyone remember Emily Lloyd in "Wish You Were Here"?

I also dislike "whatevers". I'm hearing that one more and more around here. And it's not a word!

Also, "disorientated". Again, NOT a word!!!:rolleyes:

And here's a local favorite that's on bumper stickers and car windows everywhere -- "Ainokea" It's pronounced eye-no-kay-uh , meaning I no care. I saw a car recently with a Ai Kea sticker, and I wanted to follow the driver and hug her. But I reconsidered. :D

OK, my latest least favorite phrase is:

MY BAD!!!! :tongue_smilie:

I can NOT stand hearing intelligent people say something that sounds so unbelievably ghetto. :ack2:

Oh my goodness, thank you for saying that!!!

That is indeed my least favorite phrase. I can only hope that it will drop back off the face of the earth soon. Yikes!

(I have to admit that I am quite afraid to say much of anything right now. I just can't think of a way to say things without using all the awesome, amazing expressions that are in my vocabulary. Whatever.)

:lol::lol::lol:

When I was in high school, our gym teacher was so fed up with hearing this word, that she sat us down in the locker room and said, "If you girls knew what that word meant, you'd never say it again!" And she proceeded to explain to us exactly what it meant (while we were all laughing hysterically at how she seriously thought we might not know and we might all stop saying it now).

I remember the first time I used the word "sucks". I was in 7th grade, had heard it in school, and came home and told my mom, "This homework assignment sucks." My mom was shocked. She told me to never use that word again. I asked her what was so bad about the word and she refused to tell me. The mystery made it an even more attractive word to me. I still use it, and even though I now know the origins, I don't mind when my kids say it. I'm fairly certain that most people who use the word "sucks" are not thinking about where the term originated. I don't think it was the word itself that bothered my mom so much as that I might know what it meant, someone else would think that's what I meant, or that she might have to explain it to me.

Mom also hates it when I say "holy crap!" She once gave me a mini lecture (a few years ago!) about how there is nothing holy about crap. Sometimes I say it a little extra around her just to drive her nuts:D

:smilielol5: Oh that's just hysterical! Granted, I would not be so amused if it were said of or to me, but:lol:

I despise the word CAN'T. The sound of it just sends frustration through my body, esp. here in the south when it sounds like kaaant, "I kaaan't"

You can. You just choose not to. Urgh. Lol.

Oh, that word coming out of my children's mouths, makes my blood boil!

- coincidence pronounced co-winky-dink. ARGH!!!

- fart

- anytime my Mom purposely uses the word "are" incorrectly, particularly when speaking to my baby. "He's a handsome boy. Yes, he are." :ack2:

My mom uses all of the stuff you just mentioned and it drives me crazy!!! She even says the co-winky-dink one :glare:

:iagree:

The f word. I HATE hearing teenagers walking by saying that every other word!!!!!

I don't like hearing people, like, say like, you know, like, every other, like, word or so, like that's so, like annoying! But I'll take that ANY day over that other word!!!

I just want to know what exactly 'it' is, and what's it going to be.:001_huh:

You're still my homie!:D

OK, I see what you mean.:001_smile:

My hubby says it when we are talking about a problem, that is most likely not going to change in the future, but rather how we can be different in the midst of the problem. Clear as mud??:lol:

Lush, moist, titillate, guffaw, perfunctory, irregardless, lick... just to name a few.

Incorrect pronunciation of jewelry and realtor (jew-ler-ee, and real-i-ter)

My husband can't stand strange food names. In particular, I have a black-eyed pea dish called Hoppin' John and a carrot dish called Copper Pennies. Just watch his hair stand on end when I mention those foods.

Here's a church-speak phrase that I hate: traveling mercies What the heck is a traveling mercy? O.K., we all know what that's supposed to mean, but my husband and I jab each other every time we hear that phrase.

And in the grocery store aisle...how about "can vegetables, can beans, can fruit." They do this just to make me mad.

Then when you get to the checkout, none of the women in the tabloids are pregnant. Instead, they have a "baby bump." Aaaaaargh!

Here's a church-speak phrase that I hate: traveling mercies What the heck is a traveling mercy? O.K., we all know what that's supposed to mean, but my husband and I jab each other every time we hear that phrase.

Yeah, I feel that way about "covet your prayers."

What's up with that?:001_huh:

I too hate the new term "gifting" and "gifted". Gifted is a child that is going to college early or something, not something that happens to you at Christmas! :lol:

I also can't stand it when people say nuclear as nuc-YA-ler. It'e nuc-lee-er!

Same here about traveling mercies and coveting your prayers.

I too hate the new term "gifting" and "gifted". Gifted is a child that is going to college early or something, not something that happens to you at Christmas! :lol:

I also can't stand it when people say nuclear as nuc-YA-ler. It'e nuc-lee-er!

Same here about traveling mercies and coveting your prayers.

Yes, and it's a real-tor, not a re-la-tor.

If you ever watch political pundits on TV, they all begin their argument with the "Look, blah blah blah". I find it so condescending. I also hate with people say "At the end of the day..." and "The reality is...". I just think these sayings have become so overused that everytime I hear them I just cringe.

:001_smile:

I hate the words davenport, catawampus, and dollop. All these have bothered me for years. Oh and febrile. That one bugs me too.

It's funny because I'm sure most of us have seen words on this post that we either use frequently or like. Davenport is my second son's middle name! :lol: (He's named after a special beach town where dh and I had one of our first dates.) :D

Well I can say with confidence that most of you ladies are far more proper than I or my family. Now I fully recognize there's a time and place for everything, and I strive to make sure my daughter knows what words and actions are only for when family is around. That being said, we giggle like school girls about potty humor. My daughter and I regular challenge each other with certain "contests" that I'm sure would make most of you cringe. (My dh doesn't participate, not because he thinks it's improper, but because he's a lightweight. He simply can't compete.)

I love fun little catch phrases like "My bad" and "I know, right?" And I love a good play on words. For me, the key is to not overuse them. It's all about proper time, proper place.

So what words do I despise? As I said in the other thread, irregardless makes me shudder. Preventive bothers me. I always thought it was preventative. When did it become preventive? Curricula when used as a singular noun. And march. There's something about the "r" sound merged with "ch" that bothers me. Or when merged with a "j" sound, like large. My mouth doesn't like making those combinations.

Y'all are the BOMB! Wish I could rep each one of you. My sides hurt from laughter:lol:

Dislike:

rump, butt, bootie (boo-tay)

hottie

BM, it's TMI

WE (whatever) really irks me

WEML, whatever major loser

loser

flippin'

any cutesie gender specific body parts

ain't

cain't (southern version of can't)

can't

liar

sleazy

creepy

fat-free (as if it doesn't have calories??)

ketchup (it grosses me out, so does the word!)

I'm wondering how I will ever manage to post anything ever again without offending someone. I mean, double u T F ?!? I use some of these words, like, all the time. I can't not use them, and I completely hate it when someone tells me what to do, so um...not doing it becomes basically impossible. The mere suggestion makes my armpits moist and I have a sudden urge to foof. Look, how come we can't realize that it is what it is? Can I help it if my colorful language makes your bum tingle? I ain't the one with my panties in a knot. Go ahead, think me vulgar. I just wanted you all to know that I'm gifting you with permission to puke when you read my posts, but I plan to go right on irregardless of whether it irrigrates you or not. As far as I'm concerned, it's all a big, fat, clusterf**k.

:lol: