Menu

Mothers of Daugters - ready to scream with me?! Need PMS treatment options PLEASE!!!

My young dd started her cycle just after her 12th b'day last spring and is completing her first year - she turns 13 next month.

She has TERRIBLE PMS!

What meds and/or alternative treatments would you recommend?

I need to say that she has controlled epilepsy....some of you may remember that. She's been seizure free for over 4 years and we are expecting the neurologist to tell us, next Friday or this summer, that he will start to wean her from her meds.

I asked my GYN about options for her and he said GYN's would prefer not to prescribe meds for a girl this age b/c she is so young and her cycles are stabilizing....you know first year which "may" not always be consistent (every month).

Perhaps I need to ask her neurol, but I know he'll say to ask her ped or ask a GYN dr.

She has a headache so I give her Walgreens pain reliever. Behavioral issues used to be based in her epilepsy and now seemingly replaced with being rooted in hormones/PMS.

Hope this makes sense. :bigear:

I don't know anything about epilepsy, so if this is stupid, ignore. :-)

When I was in high school, I had terrible PMS. My mom always told me to exercise, exercise, exercise, because that's what helped her. It made my cramps worse! It wasn't until I was an adult that I was mature enough to realize that what worked for her might not work for me. So either more or less exercise might help.

The other thing that really helped me was vitamin B6, just plain ol' OTC stuff. It's water soluable, so you won't overdose, and it really helped the moodiness. I've seen some docs recommend a full B-complex, too. Try each and see what works. They're both cheap and readily accessible.

A combination of diet and nutritional supplements will go a LONG way toward helping. I'd get Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shanno for some specific ideas (off the top of my head, B complex, Evening Primrose Oil, and Zinc help). Omega-3's also help. Cutting down on processed carbs/sugars makes a big difference too.

Cut out the processed foods. That helps a long way toward behavioral issues in most anyone.

Increase water intake.

Eliminate caffeine.

Exercise might or might not help depending.

Advil for the cramps. Pain makes anyone grouchy. There is no need for it when Advil or an Advil/Tylenol cocktail will virtually eliminate cramps for most women.

Drama should be relegated to the privacy of a bedroom.

It might be a good time to introduce journaling to help work through the thoughts and feelings.

OK, good everyone. Thanks. I've done all, but not consistently...my fault.

It was recommended for her to take a "high grade" fish oil which she does. This helps with her add/adhd, moodiness, etc. It's Nordic 3 6 9 complete or some name like that. It is supposed to help with weight loss (if my memory is correct) so I wanted to encourage her to take her dose by taking a dose right alongside her for my overall emotions and weight loss aide.

B6/B complex was given years ago to her and I stopped. I need to check into this again.

Caffeine is in the form of chocolate - sparingly. No soft drinks, coffee stimulant. Although this is supposed to help with her add/adhd. Good for one of her issues and not PMS! Yikes!

Sugar - I've tried to give her only minimal amounts. Now in her "t/w/een years" she's desiring more and more, along with processed foods.

This is all a good reminder to keep the sugar and proc foods at a minimum.

As a result my usually slender dd has put on some weight (food and hormone related). She's not as active as she used to be. However, I make her exercise with me, but not all the time. Just recently, if I do an exercise routine and she doesn't participate - I've had her at least walk on our treadmill/stationary bike.

THANKS!

If cramps are bad and advil/tylenol are cutting it try Aleve. A few years ago a doc prescribed a higher dosage of Sodium Naproxen and at the time I didn't realize it was Aleve. I now take 1 Aleve every 6-8 hours for 1-2 days and feel much better now than I ever did taking the other stuff.

If she's getting cramps, then it's essential to take Advil preventatively as soon as her perio dstarts - it works much better if you stsart it befor ethe pain is intense.

For the food issues, Iw ould guess she is getting a LOT more sugar than you expect. Have you read the labels of the foods you're eating and explained to her how sugar works in our bodies/moods? Maybe watch the 60 minutes sugar special with her. She should get no more than 25g of added sugar per day (that is REALLY hard to stay within - keep track of your own intake for af ew days and you'll see what I mean).

along with B vitamins I would give her an excellent quality fish oil to take daily (and this is EXCELLENT to help prevent seizures and to help with severity, anyway) and evening primrose oil. Research the EPO. I took it decades ago along with the B's and it made a huge difference.

Neither of my dd's have started their cycles. I don't think I will survive it. :svengo:

WHat are her particular symptoms? I think she is too young to have PMDD but you may want to look up that and see if the symptoms of that describe her. My middle has it and is on Lexapro 10 mg for half a month. Normally it doesn't develop until about a year and a half after starting. My middle also has severe cramps for which she takes fioronel. Oh, and one of the things PMDD did was make my dd's severe ADHD much worse until she went on medication.

I so commiserate! It is so so so so hard at this age! My daughter is only 9 1/2 but we are having major puberty symptoms and she's had chest development for over a year, so I know it is coming at some point.

Her moods are so out of control and she cries at LEAST 5 times a day- it is unbearable some days!

This is more for your sanity.

http://www.cyclespage.com/cgi-bin/show.cgi?sp=index

I have two teens. They each have an account which emails me that they are about to start their cycle. When I see this come through, I realize why they are acting "nutty" and I can extend grace and patience to them. There have been times that I was so angry at Child A and couldn't figure out what their problem was and then I sat down at the computer to read my email and it stated that Child A was going to start in 3 days. I was able to just go and hug them and help them understand why their emotions were being all nutty.

All of these suggestions are great! One more thing that really helped me personally was chiropractic care. I still experience extremely minor symptoms physically and really none emotionally. God bless, mama.

Melisa

Last time I skipped an appointment I had to stay in bed for a week to keep myself away from the rest of humanity; I still behaved like a harpy towards poor dh whenever he came into the room to find some socks or a shirt. How offensive can the pursuit of socks be, really? :001_huh:

I still have minor symptoms some months, but the emotional stuff is reduced to the point where, most months, it'd be hard to say what was pms and what was a normal reaction to someone annoying me.

Rosie

Great suggestions here. Our girls take supplements, know how to curb all sorts of pain (period or not) quickly, and know that they must get regular sleep, some exercise, and eat well to keep any symptoms under control. Heating pads sometimes help here, but it's rarely needed.

PMS is NOT bad at my house, btw, but I also do not *allow* PMS to become an issue that affects family life. Part of being a young woman is learning how to take care of oneself without disrupting everyone around you, taking charge of your own health and emotions. I don't think it's a coincidence that all three of my girls would say that they "really don't have PMS except for occasional cramps" because of my attitude on this.

Now, if they were having real issues that could not be controlled by something over the counter, we'd see a dr. But I never, ever told my girls when explaining menstruation that "when you have PMS..." or "during your period you WILL feel uncomfortable or crampy or weepy". No foregone conclusions about all that stuff here.

Last time I skipped an appointment I had to stay in bed for a week to keep myself away from the rest of humanity; :lol::lol::lol::lol: I still behaved like a harpy towards poor dh whenever he came into the room to find some socks or a shirt. How offensive can the pursuit of socks be, really? :001_huh:

I still have minor symptoms some months, but the emotional stuff is reduced to the point where, most months, it'd be hard to say what was pms and what was a normal reaction to someone annoying me.

Rosie

Thanks all! There are too many for individual responses, but I appreciate each and every one.

Rosie, rotfl here when I read the above. That's my dd.

I've always had difficulty with PMS and a few years ago I started on D3 and within about 2 months most of the difficulties went away. I have suffered from cramping for years but that is just about gone now.

As a result of my experience I have started both of my daughters on D3 so as to hopefully reduce any possibility that they will have the problems that I have faced over the years.

Protein every 3 hours has saved us. They forget to eat.

Hey! Before I go off to bed, I wanted to say YOU'RE RIGHT!

She does NOT drink enough water.at.all.on.any.given.day. This bugs me! :tongue_smilie:

And, she barely ate today! Thanks for the reminder.

Have not forgotten your suggestions for our trip (when, not sure) to DC - thanks again on that.

I used to suffer from terrible menstrual cramps. My mom made me take an ayurvedic tonic called "Ashokarishta" which really helped me. It has to be taken everyday - a spoonful mixed with a little water. Not sure if you have access to any ayurvedic store, but you may be able to buy it online.

D3 - got it. I take that everyday.

She has mood issues. She's a pendulum of emotions back and forth, up and down and so it's for emotions/mood that I need ideas to help her. Is D3 good for that?

I didn't notice a big difference in mood changes but my dh did :tongue_smilie:.

I noticed that once I felt better physically the emotional stuff was easier to handle.

I hope you find something that works for her. I worry about this with my daughters because of my history.

As someone who has had very bad pms since BEFORE I started my periods at the age of 10 I will let you know what ends up working for me.

Swimming or hot water.

I have taken meds and advil does aid sometimes but I have to take it slightly before symptoms start.

Now I get severe pain, vomiting(for the first 3 days), sometimes D+(:glare:), and varying other easier to deal with symptoms.

I do not have a pool so unless it is summer that I can go to a friends house then I take the luxury and take a hot shower and do not worry about the time. it is worth it for my sanity and pain level.

Exercise does work for me but mainly just to keep my hormones in check. It does not help my pain level really.

I would love to be able to ignore my periods but I work pt and have life so even with getting sick I still need to muddle through and it is not easy but I do.

You've gotten lots of great advice. For myself, it's only been in the past year that I've discovered how much the carbs I eat affect my cycles. After a month where I've cut back on carbs, I have no PMS, my period is light, and I have no cramps at all. After a month where I've eaten a lot of carbs (like this past one :glare:), I want to take people's heads off starting a week before my period is due, my cramps almost bring me to my knees, and my period is heavy and miserable. It was a shocking revelation.

:grouphug: to both of you. I can't even imagine what the tweenaged version of what I went through this past month must look like :001_huh:

OK I completely agree with the water, eating well and regularly and exercise. A supplement that I researched and purchased for myself and dd who is starting to develop is DIM and Indole-3-Carbinol. It is basically just cruciferous veggies, think broccoli. It you look it up it helps to purge excess estrogen which is now in lots of foods in the form of soy. I only take it once or twice a week and it helps with my pms. It has helped my daughter with moodiness. The only "side effect" I noticed was that if I take it frequently it makes my cycles longer, which isn't a bad thing. You may have to order it online at vitacost or similar since I couldn't find it in any stores. Hope this helps.

OK I completely agree with the water, eating well and regularly and exercise. A supplement that I researched and purchased for myself and dd who is starting to develop is DIM and Indole-3-Carbinol. It is basically just cruciferous veggies, think broccoli. It you look it up it helps to purge excess estrogen which is now in lots of foods in the form of soy. I only take it once or twice a week and it helps with my pms. It has helped my daughter with moodiness. The only "side effect" I noticed was that if I take it frequently it makes my cycles longer, which isn't a bad thing. You may have to order it online at vitacost or similar since I couldn't find it in any stores. Hope this helps.

Thanks again to everyone. Emredhead, yes, I agree with you. Soy (because of it's "estrogen-like" properties) is not good for people. I try to find foods void of soy, but it is so hard b/c soy is a cheap filler. What to do!??!?!

PMS is NOT bad at my house, btw, but I also do not *allow* PMS to become an issue that affects family life. Part of being a young woman is learning how to take care of oneself without disrupting everyone around you, taking charge of your own health and emotions. I don't think it's a coincidence that all three of my girls would say that they "really don't have PMS except for occasional cramps" because of my attitude on this.

I know you didn't mean that all women with PMS issues are just allowing it to be a part of their home, but wow!

I don't "allow" my menstrual migraines to reduce me to a whimpering, sobbing fool crying for relief. They do it to me on their own. I don't "allow" my cramps to destroy a week of my life at times-- they do that on their own, too!

Maybe the women in your home do not usually get cramps or have PMS issues... but that might be a bit more genetic than just coming from the way you've talked about it!

I don't need to tell my girls what PMS is like- they see it every month when I spend 2 days in bed with a migraine. They see it when I end up in tears over excruciating cramps and ruptured cysts.

And yes, I know that you weren't saying that everyone with PMS issues in their house is bringing it upon themselves, but at the same time... it seemed a little lacking in compassion.

ETA: I realize my views on all of this may be clouded by the fact that I'm currently sitting with a heat pack on my lower back trying mercilessly to find enough relief from the pain to function today.

Edited by mamakimberly

Cut out the processed foods. That helps a long way toward behavioral issues in most anyone.

Increase water intake.

Eliminate caffeine.

Advil for the cramps. Pain makes anyone grouchy. There is no need for it when Advil or an Advil/Tylenol cocktail will virtually eliminate cramps for most women.

It might be a good time to introduce journaling to help work through the thoughts and feelings.[/quote

:iagree: This. Exactly.

These things are hard and I too don't have real advice to give. I am a mom to 9 daughters and just married one 2 weeks ago and you wanna talk about 24/7 PMS! Somehow we mothers just get through it. Do what we gotta do at the moment and move on. Good luck.

I have one daughter who had very volatile hormone-based mood swings. diet and exercise. especially diet. huge, enormous difference. food sensitivities vary, so you'll want to have her checked out. Go to a naturopath or similar - western med doesn't look at those things.

I know you didn't mean that all women with PMS issues are just allowing it to be a part of their home, but wow!

I don't "allow" my menstrual migraines to reduce me to a whimpering, sobbing fool crying for relief. They do it to me on their own. I don't "allow" my cramps to destroy a week of my life at times-- they do that on their own, too!

Maybe the women in your home do not usually get cramps or have PMS issues... but that might be a bit more genetic than just coming from the way you've talked about it!

I don't need to tell my girls what PMS is like- they see it every month when I spend 2 days in bed with a migraine. They see it when I end up in tears over excruciating cramps and ruptured cysts.

And yes, I know that you weren't saying that everyone with PMS issues in their house is bringing it upon themselves, but at the same time... it seemed a little lacking in compassion.

ETA: I realize my views on all of this may be clouded by the fact that I'm currently sitting with a heat pack on my lower back trying mercilessly to find enough relief from the pain to function today.

I think she was referring to the mental part of PMS. I didn't think I had any PMS symptoms, but when I was in my late teens or early 20's I realized that my PMS symptom was to be bitingly sarcastic toward people. Once I realized what I was doing, and what time of month it was, I was able to control myself. It's the self-realization of what you're doing and how it's affecting others that's important. This is not referring to physical pain, it's the behavioral part of PMS.

I did get cramps, but cramps is not generally PMS--cramps usually occur during menstruation, not before (they can start early, before physical evidence shows up below, though). For that, I found the best thing for me was a heating pad. I did have various other remedies that helped, but those things went in phases, often 2 years or more in duration. For example, wintergreen Tic Tacs used to help with cramps. Then I went through a phase for a few years where the cramps upset my stomach. If I didn't catch them super, super early, I'd throw up, and that would make the cramps go away (I could go eat immediately and feel fine).

Edited by gardening momma

Increase water intake.

Eliminate caffeine.

It might be a good time to introduce journaling to help work through the thoughts and feelings.

:iagree:

And fish oil. Fish oil, fish oil. It will make MOST of it go away. She has to take it every day.

My Dd17 had debilitating PMS and periods-to the point where she couldn't go to school, but after fish oil she can't even tell when it's coming anymore. The same with me. I get a little less patient, but that's the only way I can tell.

Make sure the fish oil is filtered. 2000 mg a day.

Edited by justamouse

I had severe PMS, cramps, and migraines for YEARS. I tried EVERYTHING. I took 2 alleve (naproxyn) every 4-6 hours, and double my regular migraine dose every month. And cleared my calendar as much as possible. I tried herbal supplements, exercise, dietary changes, if someone suggested it, I tried it.

I had an appt with a new OB/GYN. He was asking me about my PMS etc. and suggested I take the pill without a break. No periods, No PMS. I've been doing this for the past 7 years or so, and it has changed my life. I just wish I had had this 30 years ago. I know, without a doubt, that I would not be able to home school without it.

Thanks for the continued responses and insight each one of you is providing....they are helpful.

Yes, as a pp stated, my dd is more emotional/behavioral leading up to and coming off of her cycle. It's for those reasons, not physical so much, that I'm needing treatment options surrounding her pms. It's not the physical effects of pms, but the emotional/behavioral ones.

Thanks for the continued responses and insight each one of you is providing....they are helpful.

Yes, as a pp stated, my dd is more emotional/behavioral leading up to and coming off of her cycle. It's for those reasons, not physical so much, that I'm needing treatment options surrounding her pms. It's not the physical effects of pms, but the emotional/behavioral ones.

the fish oil still helps. It stabilizes moods.

naprosyn (aleve) works the best for menstral cramps. If given the prescription dose it is 550mg, so you would have to take several aleve (220mg each) to = . You need to make sure her doctor prescribes it for her and tells you what dosage to take. aleve isn't recommended for people under 18, but exceptions are made. I took naprosyn in highschool and it saved me from menstral cramps. They are awlful!!

angel R.N.