Menu

What's wrong with the Berenstain Bears?

I went to their page and found this:

NOTE: We are well aware of the general concerns about the portrayal of family dynamics in the Berenstain Bears books, which is why you will find we do not carry any others except this one. We feel this volume is a step above other Berenstain Bears' books because it casts Papa Bear in a generally positive light. Plus, it covers some pretty sophisticated science that appeals especially to preschoolers.

How interesting. Does Sonlight offer a collection of fairy tales? If so, with or without a disclaimer akin to the one you quoted? I wonder because it seems to me that some of the clueless, malleable, absent, or simply amoral fathers in fairy tales would be of far greater concer to those questioning "the portrayal of family dynamics" than the bumbling but productive Papa Bear.

And does Sonlight offer high school literature courses? I wonder if there are similar concerns with the fathers portrayed in, say, Pride and Prejudice, The Collected Works of Shakespeare, or David Copperfield. After all, in all of literature, is there a lazier, more passive-aggressive father than Mr. Bennett? Need one say more of Shakespeare than, "Lear! Titus Andronicus!" As for Dickens, oh, Mr. Macawber: You make Papa Bear look like an advertisement for the phrase "Good provider."

Our family enjoyed the Berenstain Bears. All of us remember with particular fondness, how my son used to read them aloud to his sisters, creating voice characterizations for tattling Sister, petulant Brother, goofy Papa, and nearly too-good-to-be-true Mama. The girls' collection of BB just survived our recent book purge-dust-sort-shirt with an emphatic "YES!" to my query, "Do you want to keep these?"

Interesting what irks people, eh? Thanks for posting this. It will make good dinner conversation here.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the "homeschooled nephew" story (which I had never seen/heard of)...

The Berenstain Bears and the Nerdy Nephew.

Ferdy begins as quite the self-absorbed, self-impressed "mini professor." But the more frightening creation is actually the school bully, Too-Tall. In fact, if I remember correctly, Too-Tall gets mixed up in some pretty bad business in a later chapter book.

There was a bit of a brouhaha about Nerdy Nephew early in our homeschooling adventure, so we *had* to read it, of course. *shrug* Ferdy works as a type -- where homeschooled or traditionally schooled. Some kids really are like that. In other words, it didn't really bother us. In fact, in terms of stereotypes? We'd prefer to have that one hanging over our heads than a lot of the other ones. Heh, heh, heh.

How interesting. Does Sonlight offer a collection of fairy tales? If so, with or without a disclaimer akin to the one you quoted? I wonder because it seems to me that some of the clueless, malleable, absent, or simply amoral fathers in fairy tales would be of far greater concer to those questioning "the portrayal of family dynamics" than the bumbling but productive Papa Bear.

Indeed, I think we could establish a rubric such as:

Bossed around by first wife, mother of children, who points out he doesn't know how to bake pie = push over

Bossed around by second wife, step mother to children, who suggests leaving kids in woods etc = perfectly acceptable, and important part of "the canon"

I guess if both parents are evil or complicit in evil, it's okay. But fairly normal (i.e. non-homicidal) parents are to be avoided if they don't conform to the current "Fathers Know Best!" version of traditional and wholesome Americana.

:lol: After I agreed with Night Elf, I started thinking about the Captain Underpants books we have read. We are doomed.

Oh I forgot about those! My son loved those books. What was he supposed to pick up from that series? How to be a potty mouth? He missed out on that one too.

While I do hate when fathers are emasculated in book/movies/on television, etc., I have never had a problem with the Berenstein Bears. I had never even thought of them in that light and we own quite a few of them.

I guess now that it's mentioned, Papa Bear does seem to be portrayed as the "lesser" of the two parents but I don't think my kids will pick up any horrid associations from it. They have a good male role model IRL.

And as an aside---I would never let my children watch The Simpsons for many reasons BESIDES the fact that Homer is an idiot.

Yep, this stuff:

I dont really worry about my kids forming opinions about all men based on limited exposure to a book series about oddly garbed bears without proper given names.

:iagree:

Maybe we're bumbling idiots, and that's why we can relate to Papa Berenstain... ;)

My ds was never "influenced" by any of his children's books, either.

And he even watched (:eek: :eek: :eek:) Teletubbies when he was little, and amazingly does not now, nor has he ever, wished to carry a handbag like Tinky Winky did. (Remember the "Tinky Winky is gay" controversy several years ago? :D)

I can't waste my time getting upset over non-issues like the inherent evil of the Berenstain Bears.

This is probably a somewhat grumpy reply but if someone has enough time and energy to be worrying about Berenstein Bear books then I hope they realize just how lucky they are to have that much spare time and energy.

I would imagine a diet of just one kind of book would not be great for anyone but my kids have been read and read all kinds of books (and yes, I do vet them but never to this extent). I honestly feel like now I have heard it all. This forum never fails to amaze. :lol:

Edited by tcb

:iagree: I feel like my family has been reading incorrectly because we have never been influenced by literature the way other parents say their children are influenced. I was warned not to let my dd read Junie B. Jones because she would adopt bad grammar and learn that bad manners was acceptable. I was warned to not read Mrs. Piggle Wiggle because it taught kids that their parents didn't have a clue and only the kind lady down the street had any true authority and knowledge of kids. I was tsked tsked for letting my kids read Amelia Bedelia because it mocks people with special needs. Now I'm hearing that Berenstain Bears teaches kids that dads are idiots. I don't know whether to be happy that my kids aren't influenced by stories or sad that if they are missing out on those things, what else might they not be picking up on as well. I guess I've just never seen books as a way to teach my children anything. We've always read stories to enjoy stories. We just don't pick up on such deep meanings. We must be kind of stupid. :confused:

:iagree: I never heard about the problem with Amelia Bedelia.

:iagree: I feel like my family has been reading incorrectly because we have never been influenced by literature the way other parents say their children are influenced. I was warned not to let my dd read Junie B. Jones because she would adopt bad grammar and learn that bad manners was acceptable. I was warned to not read Mrs. Piggle Wiggle because it taught kids that their parents didn't have a clue and only the kind lady down the street had any true authority and knowledge of kids. I was tsked tsked for letting my kids read Amelia Bedelia because it mocks people with special needs. Now I'm hearing that Berenstain Bears teaches kids that dads are idiots. I don't know whether to be happy that my kids aren't influenced by stories or sad that if they are missing out on those things, what else might they not be picking up on as well. I guess I've just never seen books as a way to teach my children anything. We've always read stories to enjoy stories. We just don't pick up on such deep meanings. We must be kind of stupid. :confused:

:iagree: I am not sure whether I want to laugh or cry after reading this thread! I allowed dd to read all of the above books, AND Berenstain Bears books (including all of those my mother saved from my childhood- and I think I turned out okay!) AND (gasp!) Rainbow Fish, AND (gasp again!) No, David! She is, as far as I can tell, a normal, compassionate, and polite young lady who is sensible enough to realize that characters in fictional books are, well, fictional!

To mangle a quote from Mystery Science Theater 3000, "It's just a book. We should really just relax!";)

We are proudly a family of feminists but Papa in these books is too dumb. I don't want my son growing up thinking he is supposed to be a complete, dangerous idiot when it comes to the care of his children.

Also a feminist here, and also don't want my sons growing up expecting to be idiots, but ... I don't think the BBs are going to teach them that. Often in literature one or another character is not very bright, and it makes the stories more interesting. I don't believe the authors tried to set Papa Bear up as a model of masculinity, then made him dumb because they wanted to teach kids that men bumble. They wanted a goofball character and one with a certain amount of power so that he could get away with some truly absurd things before someone stopped him, so they made him an adult. But there are plenty of intelligent, humble male bears in the series. And Papa himself has some shining moments here and there.

I think it's a little strange to freak out because it's the dad or the adult male who is portrayed as the idiot of the story. Do men always have to be respectable? If there was a sibling bear or a neighbor bear who was the comedic relief, would that be more acceptable? Why?

Well I am going to admit that we absolutely love the Bernstein bears. Our absolutely favorite on is " The Bike Lesson". My husband, every time he is helping on of the children fix something or learn something says" not yet, not yet small bear" and the child who he is helping always replies " First the lessons then the fun"

I find the new Berenstain Bears books irritating, but my kids love the old ones that I had when I was little The Spooky Old Tree and He Bear, She Bear are our favorites. Although, come to think of it, Papa and Mama aren't even in those two, so I don't have to keep noticing the fact that Mama doesn't own any real clothes.

It's funny to me that Papa has been the focus of the criticism in this thread. I always thought the portrayal of Mama as such a nag was just as bad.
I don't mind a couple of the older books -- the general rule being fewer words the better :tongue_smilie: -- but the awkward writing and in-your-face didacticism are the biggest turnoff for me. The books published after 1980 are by far the worst, and they are among the very few books I refused to read aloud at the bookstore or the library. Edited by nmoira
spelling

We've only read a couple of the books and I find them annoying to be honest. We use them to point out to the kids how NOT to act.

As PP mentioned, it is impossible to find ONLY books that have the children, the parents, the neighbors, and everyone else acting perfectly with no bad role models... Ever read the Bible? We can use those occasions to teach children how not to act. It is great media literacy and worldview training.

But

We can pick and choose what to expose our kids to and how much. If my child will read about a bad parenting example I would RATHER it be from Shakespeare or Austin than in some silly, poorly-written book or an even sillier TV show.

Well, on the bright side, if you're not easily influenced by the behavior of characters in books, then reading the Iliad probably won't cause y'all to start running around disemboweling people. I imagine there's a lot of that going on with the crowds who can't separate books from reality, but it sounds like you're safe.

Usually Papa is portrayed as a well... a bumbling idiot.

it is for comical reasons.

some people, imo, go looking for faults in everything. sad sad sad life.

we LOVE BB here, the stories are wholesome and there are many where dad is not a fool. they express good values (not being greedy, helping others, looking out for family, etc) and we love them

we LOVE BB here, the stories are wholesome and there are many where dad is not a fool. they express good values (not being greedy, helping others, looking out for family, etc) and we love them

Well, on the bright side, if you're not easily influenced by the behavior of characters in books, then reading the Iliad probably won't cause y'all to start running around disemboweling people. I imagine there's a lot of that going on with the crowds who can't separate books from reality, but it sounds like you're safe.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with reading BB. I don't think it will make kids think all Dads are bumbling idoits. I didn't worry about how it will influence my children.

When I discovered the series was - to me very annoying to read. I skipped the series and went on to other books, one with characters and family dynamics that I found not annoying or to me un-enjoyable to read about.

I wasn't looking for faults. I personally read several of them hoping for enjoyment. There is a big difference between looking for faults and just admitting that something is not a good fit for yourself and/or your family.

I find the new Berenstain Bears books irritating, but my kids love the old ones that I had when I was little The Spooky Old Tree and He Bear, She Bear are our favorites. Although, come to think of it, Papa and Mama aren't even in those two, so I don't have to keep noticing the fact that Mama doesn't own any real clothes.

Three of my favorite books growing up were The Spooky Old Tree, The Bear's Vacation, and The Bear Detectives. I never liked any of the newer paperback books. I found them poorly written and rather boring and preachy.

I do recommend The New Baby one as the best new baby book I've ever seen for an older sibling. When I was expecting my second child, I went to the bookstore and read every new baby book they had. All of them except BB talked about being angry at the baby, being jealous of the baby, wanting to give the baby back, etc...without ever saying, "When you were the baby we took care of you like this." Books that mention anger/jealousy might have a place if the child is already feeling that way, but why assume your dc will? None of my dc have ever had a problem like that. In BB, Brother outgrows his little bed, and Papa says he will make him a new bed, and they go out to cut down the tree for the wood, while Mama gives birth to Sister at home. It's very sweet!

snort

I read them as kids. As an adult I find the bad rhyme scheme and preachiness to be not so great but I don't make an effort to avoid them. I find the comments on this thread amusing.

Don't worry, though, there's lots of books with submissive mothers to balance out whatever "corruption" the Berenstain bears might offer.

:lol::lol::iagree:

Those are the only two Berenstein Bears books I can stand. The actual Berenstein Bears series is such a drag to read. They're long, boring, and in-your-face about morality. If I'm going to be reading a book aloud to my kids, it has to have a good plot, or interesting characters....something to keep my interest too.

ETA: My dislike for the books doesn't have anything to do with the dad being a bumbling idiot. As a PP mentioned, it's done for comedic reasons, and I can't imagine my kids looking up to the Berenstein Bears as role models.

Edited by funschooler5

I think that in most of the books, one parent is wrong and one parent is right about how to handle the situation. But it's not always Papa Bear who is wrong. In the messy room one, Mama Bear is the irrational one. In the one where they join the team, Mama Bear acts like a crazy sports mom in the end and Sister Bear tells her off. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more.

I think it shows that there are multiple ways to deal with problems, and that not every one is an equally good idea. And that adults make mistakes too.

Here's what Jan Berenstain said back in 2005 - I like the fact that Stan's self-image was confident enough to take the ribbing and comparisons, though I did find the portrayal formulaic.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/jan-berenstain-co-creator-of-the-berenstain-bears-childrens-books-dies-at-88/2012/02/27/gIQAvHQmeR_story.html

"When Stan Berenstain died, Mrs. Berenstain told the New York Times that her husband had no qualms about Papa Bear.

“Nobody likes making a mother the fall guy,†she said. “Papa Bear has broad shoulders.â€"

In terms of depicting Papa Bear badly, the series is a mixed bag - the earlier books had him committing slapstick-stupid errors, the later books have him being emotionally immature - racist (New Neighbors), willfully ignorant (BB Don't Pollute.. Anymore). But the later books do a better job of portraying a balanced image of a person with strengths and faults. I find them better than, say, Tintin with the running joke of Captain Haddock and Snowy finding a way to get drunk whenever possible. It's to the point where even DS notices it.

We have the Science book and quite enjoy it. We have some of the other ones as well I don't consider them great literature by any means but we read some from time to time. I've not noticed Papa Bear being an idiot or Mama Bear being a nag, although I can really identify with her sometimes :) There are often characters in books I don't care much for though and if it comes up we talk about it but I don't find them(at least the ones we've read) offensive.

But these are books to teach lessons. If the parents and kids are all neat and tidy and perfect, there's no book! The dopey dad and gooney kids give a chance for the reader (a kid) to not feel like such an idiot for not keeping his/her room straight and eating healthily. If the dad is a fool, and the kids correct him, isn't it really the reader who is being corrected, by another kid -- which is less ego crushing than yet another adult telling them they are wrong, wrong, wrong?

How about those awful old stories with kids burning themselves to a crisp by playing with matches or having their sucked thumb snipped off?? Most of them end up DEAD at the end!

Look at him, now the fourth day's come!

He scarcely weighs a sugar-plum;

He's like a little bit of thread,

And, on the fifth day, he was—dead!

Even Pierre, who doesn't care, gets eaten by a lion (although he gets coughed back up), so I think the Bears look gentle in comparison.

But these are books to teach lessons. If the parents and kids are all neat and tidy and perfect, there's no book! The dopey dad and gooney kids give a chance for the reader (a kid) to not feel like such an idiot for not keeping his/her room straight and eating healthily. If the dad is a fool, and the kids correct him, isn't it really the reader who is being corrected, by another kid -- which is less ego crushing than yet another adult telling them they are wrong, wrong, wrong?

How about those awful old stories with kids burning themselves to a crisp by playing with matches or having their sucked thumb snipped off?? Most of them end up DEAD at the end!

Even Pierre, who doesn't care, gets eaten by a lion (although he gets coughed back up), so I think the Bears look gentle in comparison.

But I don't have a problem with Pierre (great, now the song version will be stuck in my head!:D) - it's clearly silly, even if meant to teach a lesson. Ditto dark fairy tales which are removed from reality. Or even crazy things like Gashlycrumb Tinies.

The BB books are meant to be realistic (except for the bear thing). Plus, half the time, the lesson isn't for the kids, it's for the adult reader. There's a sense that the way they end up parenting that work must be the right way. And much of the time, I don't agree with their solutions. I don't think we should keep candy frozen and never have dessert. I don't think children should get a treat every time we go to the market. I don't think the way the parents deal with bullying or friendship issues is very good. And it's not vague, up for interpretation stuff - its really specific sometimes about having to do things a certain way.

The other thing... I think you have to distinguish between the early ones - Old Hat New Hat, The Bike Lesson, most of the rhyming early readers - and the lesson ones. Some people clearly hate both as Papa is an oaf, albeit a different sort, in each. For me, it's just the lesson ones with which I take issue.

But I don't have a problem with Pierre (great, now the song version will be stuck in my head!:D) - it's clearly silly, even if meant to teach a lesson. Ditto dark fairy tales which are removed from reality. Or even crazy things like Gashlycrumb Tinies.

The BB books are meant to be realistic (except for the bear thing).

So are the kids in Struwwelpeter (realistic), and I find them horrifying.

Some fairy tales are too creepy for me, and they definitely contain lots of scary and filicidal parents, though often they are trolls and other non-human creatures.

What irritates me are the whiny kids and nonstop sibling rivalry on tv shows. ("Roooosie!" screamed Caillou.)

What irritates me are the whiny kids and nonstop sibling rivalry on tv shows. ("Roooosie!" screamed Caillou.)

Oh, well, if you want to talk other annoying characters, I'm not a believer in corporal punishment, but I think most of us have wanted to smack Caillou silly.:glare:

Oh, well, if you want to talk other annoying characters, I'm not a believer in corporal punishment, but I think most of us have wanted to smack Caillou silly.:glare:

Oh Caillou. God bless him. I cannot understand why he's 4 and never grows hair! It really grates my nerves.

Susan

This is probably a somewhat grumpy reply but if someone has enough time and energy to be worrying about Berenstein Bear books then I hope they realize just how lucky they are to have that much spare time and energy.

I would imagine a diet of just one kind of book would not be great for anyone but my kids have been read and read all kinds of books (and yes, I do vet them but never to this extent). I honestly feel like now I have heard it all. This forum never fails to amaze. :lol:

:iagree::lol:

When I was 9, I used to walk to school singing Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit. I didn't grow up with a taste for mind-altering drugs, but I do have a taste for the absurd.

Dig that Smothers Brother's humor, and the vomiting-peyote-after-eating-jello background!

But more seriously, belittling the big man isn't "feminazi", it is the fact that if they belittled the child or the mother, NO one would see it as funny, and would want to sock the belittler in the jaw. It is an acknowledgment of the strength of Papa, and in that sense, very old fashioned. Think of the Honeymooners. Everyone knew "one of these days, Alice" was a complete bluff, but everyone also knew Alice knew her stuff.

it is a teaching style -- to allow the child reader to feel "bigger" or "smarter" and they have NOTHING on Grimms!!!

I think that in most of the books, one parent is wrong and one parent is right about how to handle the situation. But it's not always Papa Bear who is wrong. In the messy room one, Mama Bear is the irrational one. In the one where they join the team, Mama Bear acts like a crazy sports mom in the end and Sister Bear tells her off. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more.

I think it shows that there are multiple ways to deal with problems, and that not every one is an equally good idea. And that adults make mistakes too.

when momma gets a job PaPa leads the kids in taking up the slack at home and getting each other taken care of with out Momma doing it all

:iagree: I am not sure whether I want to laugh or cry after reading this thread! I allowed dd to read all of the above books, AND Berenstain Bears books (including all of those my mother saved from my childhood- and I think I turned out okay!) AND (gasp!) Rainbow Fish, AND (gasp again!) No, David! She is, as far as I can tell, a normal, compassionate, and polite young lady who is sensible enough to realize that characters in fictional books are, well, fictional!

To mangle a quote from Mystery Science Theater 3000, "It's just a book. We should really just relax!";)

Out of curiousity, I asked dd14 what she remembered about the books.

They were funny.

The brother and sister didn't fight alot.

The dad was cool because he did stuff with his kids.

The mom was always busy and didn't do a lot of stuff with the kids.

She's thinking about getting them out of the attic to read again to see if she views the dad differently now that she's older and aware of how others see him. But I don't wanna go into that attic and find those books! *whine*

Some of the time I treat my husband like one of the kids!

- Don't leave your shoes in the middle of the floor, I nearly killed myself

- The bin is right beside you, do you have to litter the benchtop?

- Don't talk with your mouth full

- Don't Mumble

- Speak clearly and enunciate

- I have no idea what your talking about, slow down

-Calm Down!

- SHhhhhhhhh

- Get your elbows off the table

- Don't you at me like that!

- I don't have 8 arms!

- Aww *cuddles* its alright, I'll kiss your boo-boo better :D

:lol: Maybe I should have my own sitcom. DH reminds me SO much of Will Ferrel in his movies. He is a bumbling idiot (he's super smart in the area of Mechanical Enginering and Product Design, actually extremely geeky and knows too much:p but he has that awkwardness that smarter people tend to have in everyday situations), but he's all mine, and I love him. And he makes me laugh, SO much.

Back to the thread in question: We have only used a couple of Berenstein Bears books, but I remember one from when I was younger where Papa Bear always seemed to be yelling or pointing....he scared me :tongue_smilie:

My kids LOVE Berenstein Bears Big Book of Science & Nature (we did this last year) its what got my daughter TOTALLY into science. You say science, and she squeals the roof down and starts a clapping thunderstorm. :D

:lurk5::lurk5:

Lol, yes I do treat DH like a kid at times. I try really hard not too, he isn't an idiot I'm just a very overpowering person. I am like that with almost everyone. So I guess I would never pull them off our shelves because to me that is just how some people are- I being one of them. And I guess that makes me a horrible person according to most everyone...

So yes mama bear and I are very similar. Guess that is why i like her.

And I will add that I don't think that I learned any of my personality from my mom, actually I was always more mature growing up and took care of my mom many times. I was an only child and bossed everyone around. I do see myself in one of my kids and would never make them feel bad about being strong willed and overpowering. I think it has helped me many, many times.

We have all this stuff. We have enjoyed it. We have been warned over the years about Berenstain Bears, Little Bear, Harriet the Spy, Junie B Jones, Harry Potter, etc. etc. etc. Honestly, the ONLY book that I have pitched because a kid's behavior became intolerable was ELSIE DINSMORE!

Three of my favorite books growing up were The Spooky Old Tree, The Bear's Vacation, and The Bear Detectives. I never liked any of the newer paperback books. I found them poorly written and rather boring and preachy.

We have these and the new baby one and a couple of others. Maybe I'm missing something. It's not like we set out to read ALL of them though! LOL!

We spread ourselves around with a wide range of genres!

I also would ahve let my kids read HP. Except they weren't interested.

My dd14 has read all the Percy Jackson books and there are some who won't let their kids read it because it has Greek mythology in it :001_huh:, but let their kids watch Forest Gump.

I let my kids read things and then we discuss if need be. I don't give a patooty if someone else thinks there is evil lurking inside waiting to come out :tongue_smilie:.

That said, we have only ever had one BB book and I don't even remember what it was. My kids never wanted to read them. They like Dr. Suess :)