Menu

Would you pay $1200 for AKC maltese or bichon frise?

I have never owned one of these dogs, but from what I know they are very sweet. I am wondering if anyone here has a bichon or a maltese, and if you would pay $1200 from an in-town professional breeder for one (you can go meet them, see the puppies, etc)?

Maybe. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable price for an AKC-registered purebred pup. I would check to make sure that they are a true professional breeder (most usually show their dogs as well and are involved in the local Kennel Club). If their whole occupation is simply just to breed dogs, I would be very concerned.

Both of these breeders do show their dogs. The bichon breeder will take her dog back if she finds out you have not spayed/neutered by 7 months, so there is no breeding the bichon.

If they both show, are members of their local clubs, and don't breed excessively, I would be fine paying $1200 for a puppy. I paid $1000 for our purebred dog a few years ago, but we got a bit of a discount since the breeder knew my mother from back in the day when my mother used to show dogs. Otherwise, we would have paid $1300.

ETA: This was for a "pet" puppy that was required to be spayed. The show puppies were more expensive.

Edited by edelweiss

I've had both pedigree and rescue dogs. The advantage with a purebred dog is that unless there is something terribly wrong with the animal, you can tell what temperament, size, and training requirements the dog will possess.

If the things I listed above are important to you then pay the money. I've had wonderful rescue dogs, but I've also had a couple of not-so-pleasant surprises.

Glad that the consensus is that it seems reasonable.

We went the rescue route and had to give the dog back after a couple of months, it was a terrible experience. :( For that reason, we are now looking at puppies from breeders. We recently got a Boston terrier from a local breeder, and that has been a great experience. He just needs a friend. :D

I have never owned one of these dogs, but from what I know they are very sweet. I am wondering if anyone here has a bichon or a maltese, and if you would pay $1200 from an in-town professional breeder for one (you can go meet them, see the puppies, etc)?

I'd pay $1200 for a puppy I wanted. I have met a couple of horrible Maltese dogs, but I don't know their background. Awful, nasty, mean little devils.

I paid $1000 for our dog so it seems reasonable to me.

I had a bichon growing up and he was impossible to potty train. He never pooped in the house but he peed on the curtains, couches non-stop. I'm not sure how my mother put up with him.

He was a great dog (lived to be 19) except for the little problem of lifting his leg everywhere.

um, no way...I'll adopt a cutie and donate that much money to the shelter if I had it.

I've met a variety of nasty little toy dogs. Unfortunately for them, it was their owners insistence on treating them like cute little play toys to dress up and not an animal that needs training and guidance...

But I've met some really sweet ones too that were treated well, but were also taught and expected to behave.

Glad that the consensus is that it seems reasonable.

We went the rescue route and had to give the dog back after a couple of months, it was a terrible experience. :( For that reason, we are now looking at puppies from breeders. We recently got a Boston terrier from a local breeder, and that has been a great experience. He just needs a friend. :D

You can still end up with a bad match...the thing is, would the breeder take the dog back?

You can still end up with a bad match...the thing is, would the breeder take the dog back?

Don't a lot of breeder contracts include first rights of refusal if you decide to rehome the animal?

I'm not a fan of small little mop-head dogs anyway, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to spend $1200 on any dog. That's almost my mortgage payment.

Don't a lot of breeder contracts include first rights of refusal if you decide to rehome the animal?

I'm not a fan of small little mop-head dogs anyway, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to spend $1200 on any dog. That's almost my mortgage payment.

me either, that's my house and my car!

I would never pay that much for a dog. I have some family and friends who have show dogs and purebred dogs that are very expensive to buy, and hard to sell. They have all had some with medical problems too, and that is hard to deal with as well as expensive. One had to have surgery recently, and one almost died. I just could not deal with all of that.

Where we live and as many people as we know, we have too many offers for free ones. Our dog now is from a purebred, but she is a sweet, big, family dog. ( Collie/German Shep) And she has a son ( Lab/mix) now who is beautiful, playful and a good companion. I have this heartfelt thinking that one dog would be lonely. We have other animals to ward off too like cyotes, racoons, possums, snakes, squirrels, and other dogs at times. So 2 are better than 1!

Most of all I think my dh would have a heart attack if I asked to spend that much on a dog :D

If the breeder is reputable it is worth in.

I paid $1200 for my white German Shepherd male-- with no breeding rights! With breeding rights it would have been over $2000!

This gave us a 2 year 'warranty' and other health guarantees-- parents were screened prior to breeding for hips and other common issues.

In our case our male died at age 3 from a VERY VERY rare cancer. I reported his death to the breeder (as requested as she tracks the health of her puppies). I was surprised when she offered us a free puppy from an upcoming litter. We had to wait 5 months--but now we are enjoying our puppy.

Our breeder only has 2-3 litters per year-- her dogs are family pets and the females only have 1-3 litters before they are spayed and re-homed (or kept if she has space).

I would NOT purchase a German Shepherd from a breeder with show lines. With German Shepherds, show lines are actually INFERIOR-- they have super sloped backs that put pressure on hips and joints (lots of pain for dogs) and other health issues because they have been 'bred down' in size from the 100+ pounds they were originally.

I can still show my white German Shepherd-- even though he will be 'too tall' and the fact he is solid white... but I'm limited to agility and obedience.

UKC will let me show him as they recognize white German Shepherds in a class by themselves....

--

Not sure about little 'lap dogs'-- but my German Shepherds have been worth the $$$

--

I once had a 'street corner' German Shepherd (registered but from backyard breeder). He had over $2000 in medical bills his first year due to bad hips and joints because of the BAD breeding (2 dogs with inferior hips were bred).

Basically it is a pay-it-now or 'pay-it-later scenario...

I actually am going to purchase a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, if I ever get another dog. I wanted one before but my husband made "fun" of me. I ended up with a dog that is awesome, minus the fur... Oh the piles around my house. I vacuum... and then they come again. (It's almost like there are piles hidden that spring forth?) Anyway, I need a non-shedding dog. So, when I get another one... I'll pay for it!! I also now remember what work dogs are, so I may or may not decide to do it again. I also believe that I can be an Alpha owner :) which is what Wheaten's need to be happy :)

Edited by NayfiesMama
(Oh yes, mine was going to cost $1600, four years ago)

Sometimes, but that doesn't mean they'll take it and many won't if it's got issues...working with rescues and doing some myself I've witnessed many things with dogs and breeders, some good and some not so good.

Average to backyard breeders are a dime a dozen. Really good breeders are worth their weight in gold. I've even known a few pretty good breeders that wouldn't take a dog back. They either didn't have the space or the time it took to fix the issues that probably stemmed from poor training from the owners. These were good people with nice dogs, but you can't always predict what will happen with the dog or the owners...they are animals after all and when people stop treating them as such, many times you end up with unruly little monsters...

But that said, if I wanted a horse that was $1200, that was good at what I needed it for, then I would get it, lol :D. It's all a matter of what we want to spend our money on. On that note, I am not looking for a horse-3 of them (with one being a more special needs horse) is enough for me.

Edited by CountryGirl2

If the breeder is reputable it is worth in.

I paid $1200 for my white German Shepherd male-- with no breeding rights! With breeding rights it would have been over $2000!

This gave us a 2 year 'warranty' and other health guarantees-- parents were screened prior to breeding for hips and other common issues.

In our case our male died at age 3 from a VERY VERY rare cancer. I reported his death to the breeder (as requested as she tracks the health of her puppies). I was surprised when she offered us a free puppy from an upcoming litter. We had to wait 5 months--but now we are enjoying our puppy.

Our breeder only has 2-3 litters per year-- her dogs are family pets and the females only have 1-3 litters before they are spayed and re-homed (or kept if she has space).

I would NOT purchase a German Shepherd from a breeder with show lines. With German Shepherds, show lines are actually INFERIOR-- they have super sloped backs that put pressure on hips and joints (lots of pain for dogs) and other health issues because they have been 'bred down' in size from the 100+ pounds they were originally.

I can still show my white German Shepherd-- even though he will be 'too tall' and the fact he is solid white... but I'm limited to agility and obedience.

UKC will let me show him as they recognize white German Shepherds in a class by themselves....

--

Not sure about little 'lap dogs'-- but my German Shepherds have been worth the $$$

--

I once had a 'street corner' German Shepherd (registered but from backyard breeder). He had over $2000 in medical bills his first year due to bad hips and joints because of the BAD breeding (2 dogs with inferior hips were bred).

Basically it is a pay-it-now or 'pay-it-later scenario...

We love our shepherd and will most likely get another when he is gone. We rescued him though. He is a big, tall boy and not at all sloped. But he serves a dual purpose (pet and protection) and was the most we ever spent on 'purchasing' a dog. He is a very good fit for us (the GSD rescue did a good job). I would spend money on a dog that would be used for protection of our property and family, but probably not that much though. I have found that if I am patient, I can usually get what I would like.

From a good, ethical breeder that health tests & shows their dogs, breeds responsibly, stands by what they produce, and has a good, well written contract that they are known to follow? Yes. A thousand times yes.

Really, I'm of the opinion that if you find a good breeder of your breed that produces the dog you want the money is always well spent. For one of my heart breeds $800-$1400 is fairly normal for a pet... for the other breed, we'll just say that $1200 would be a steal, lol.

Edited by theAmbitiousHousewife

It sounds like it's a reputable breeder with good lines. In which case, the price isn't out of line for certain breeds. Personally, it would still be hard for me to swallow, though.

We spent $400 for our purebred standard poodle from a breeder who is also a veterinarian. We may get another one, because as a PP said, it's nice for dogs to have a companion. For us, we don't usually have the option to just go to a shelter and adopt, as we deal with allergies in our house... we need the non-shedding, low/no dander type dogs. (Poodles, Bichons, etc.) And unfortunately those breeds just don't turn up at the shelters terribly often, though they do occasionally and we keep an eye out.

ITA that it seems like a reasonable price for an AKC-registered puppy. It isn't in my price range at the moment, though; if I had the money to spend, I'd be looking for a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. :)

We just bought a Cav in November. She is a tri-color little girl. We are really enjoying her!

From a good, ethical breeder that health tests & shows their dogs, breeds responsibly, stands by what they produce, and has a good, well written contract that they are known to follow? Yes. A thousand times yes.

Really, I'm of the opinion that if you find a good breeder of your breed that produces the dog you want the money is always well spent. For one of my heart breeds $800-$1400 is fairly normal for a pet... for the other breed, we'll just say that $1200 would be a steal, lol.

Well now you must share what breeds you are referring to and how much they go for :D

Sorry, but no. I wouldn't pay $1200 for any dog. I would personally love to have an English bulldog but just can't bring myself to pay that much money for a puppy.

My husband wanted an English bulldog, we can't find one cheaper than $1800 at the rock bottom.

Nope, I would go down to the humane society and spend $100 for an adoption fee....

Like I mentioned we did do that. It's a lovely thought and something we spent over a year thinking about before we actually did it, but it turned out horribly and we have lost faith in shelter dogs for our family personally for awhile, unfortunately. The dog we got had been so badly abused and had such severe separation anxiety (was the sweetest dog there at the HS for weeks and weeks and came highly recommended) but she had terrible issues once she got comfortable with us. I followed up with her after we gave her back and was told she was adopted so I hope she found a better family for her. We do miss her.

Yes. If it was a reputable breeder with a good contract, then go for it. Make sure the breeder covers the dog until 18 months - 2 years for certain breed related issues. Our Bernese Mountain Dog was from a breeder as they are not found in shelters and hardly in any rescues in the area.

On the other hand- Did you ever check to see since you gave the dog back, they may have black listed you with other rescues. Even if it was not for a vanity issue. Make sure you tell the breeder exactly what happened about that incase they call the place you returned it.

Like I mentioned we did do that. It's a lovely thought and something we spent over a year thinking about before we actually did it, but it turned out horribly and we have lost faith in shelter dogs for our family personally for awhile, unfortunately. The dog we got had been so badly abused and had such severe separation anxiety (was the sweetest dog there at the HS for weeks and weeks and came highly recommended) but she had terrible issues once she got comfortable with us. I followed up with her after we gave her back and was told she was adopted so I hope she found a better family for her. We do miss her.

I think another alternative would be a breed specific rescue. A lot of time humane society type shelters don't know as much about the dogs. We are in the process of adopting a Shar-pei mix and went through a Shar-Pei breed specific rescue. It's almost like working with a breeder. They do a thorough screening of the families looking to adopt and will make sure the dog you're interested in will be a good fit for our family. They also make sure any underlying medical conditions were treated in full before we adopt her, so we don't get a dog that is in sudden need of tons of medical care. We've been fostering ours for 5 days now because they knew she was good with dogs and kids but weren't sure how she'd be with cats. We haven't had to pay any adoption fees yet because they want to make sure the fit for our family is good before that happens. The cat and her had a few hissing moments but she appears to have no aggression issues toward him so we'll finalize the adoption this weekend. The rescue we are working with normally asks you to foster for 30 days before they finalize, but because we know we want her and she's taken to us so well they're letting us push the adoption up. I will say it's been an almost two month long journey so far as we got pictures of her in Feb, and then there was transport (she was at a shelter in AL) and then waiting for all of her medical stuff to clear. So a breed specific rescue isn't like just going to HS, picking a dog and taking it home, like many HS adoptions can be.

For the Maltese, if it is black tipped, then yes. If it is blonde tipped, then no.

:)

?

The AKC Standard doesn't say anything about "black-tipped" or "blonde-tipped." All it says about color is "pure white," and this:

Light tan or lemon on the ears is permissible, but not desirable.

Just wondering. :)

But that said, if I wanted a horse that was $1200, that was good at what I needed it for, then I would get it, lol :D. It's all a matter of what we want to spend our money on. On that note, I am not looking for a horse-3 of them (with one being a more special needs horse) is enough for me.

Lol - I totally agree with this!! My first thought was "absolutely NOT!! For a DOG??" and then I thought a little more and realized... I would totally pay that for the right horse!

I also won't pay out over $30 for a pair of nicer work shoes, but I have a pair of Ariats that cost well over $100 and were worth every penny... :)

So, if this is what you want to spend your money on (and if you have the money available to spend, of course!), then I say go for it! :D

Well now you must share what breeds you are referring to and how much they go for :D

The more reasonably priced of my heart breeds is the Italian Greyhound. A pet puppy from a good breeder will probably cost you something in that $800-$1400 range with right around $1000 being the most common (though, as always there are some much higher and some that are a bit lower).

My other heart breed is the Tibetan Mastiff and a pet one of those will usually cost you somewhere in the $2500-$4500 range.

Both DH and I really enjoy showing dogs, so showing, and eventually breeding, is something we really want to do as a family (for the IGs most definitely, possibly for the TMs as well). We anticipate investing quite a bit of money in the quality of dogs we want from the bloodlines we like etc. We are fully prepared for the reality that we could easily spend $5000-$10,000 for a very well bred TM. Possibly even more for dogs imported from other countries (specifically thinking of Hungary, India, and - of course - China). Compared to that the 2-3k we'll likely someday spend on a top quality IG seems exceptionally reasonable, lol.

I haven't read all of the posts. I'd always had big dogs and then one day rescued a Maltese-mix off the road. He was starving and it took me months -- with the vet's help -- to get proper weight on him.

At his heaviest he was just seven pounds and every ounce of him was sweet and adorable. I miss him so much. I had him for years and babied him to the very end.

But no, I would not buy from a breeder. I would find a Maltese or Bichon rescue organization and rescue one. Just google Maltese or Bichon rescue.

That's what I'd do.

Alley

I think I'd pay about $600 max for a dog.

I have a Shih Tzu Maltese cross, she's the sweetest dog.

We meet again, Shellers! It seems we always come into these dog discussions saying how much we love our Shih Tzu-Maltese crosses. :lol: They are great dogs.

I would also have a hard time paying $1200 for a dog. We've got a Poodle-Spaniel mix, too. Both dogs were rescued as young puppies and adoption fees were never more than $300.

Nope. We have a rescue dog, he was around 3 when we got him. Every vet we have ever had (we move a lot) has said that he is a pure-bred, show-quality Cocker Spaniel. Yes, he had been abused and came with a lot of baggage and issues that we had to work through. But, he is a super-sweet dog and was worth working through those issues (it took years). He is now 13 years old, which is really old for a cocker.

If that was the breed I wanted, yes -- I would pay that much for a dog. Our German Shepherd cost us $1,800, also from a very reputable breeder. That type of money is typical of purebreds. If no one mentioned it yet (I haven't read the whole thread), I would find out what is included in that fee. A reputable breeder will offer after-support of the dog. Ours is always available to answer questions and give advice, and if she doesn't hear from us for awhile she'll e-mail us for an update. Good breeders care about what happens to their puppies.