Menu

Would you let your 14 year old girl wear this?

No, but only because I don't think the style is flattering to her figure.

Or anyone's figure. The skirt looks like someone took their old 1990's balloon valances off the windows and made them into a dress.

I think the same young lady would look great in almost anything else, though!

I'd feel a tad uncomfortable about it. My 17 year old wore a dress like that to prom, and I guess I felt okay about it then...nothing actually showed that I felt was indecent, just a lot of bareness. If my 14 year old were very voluptuous, I'd probably say no, but if all of the important parts were truly covered, I might let her wear it to a special event. (But I'd encourage her to wear a sweater! :))

I don't think the dress flatters her, and she needs something on her shoulders. So no, if this were my own daughter, I would not let her wear it.

I would, though, make every attempt to replace it with something else more flattering and more modest. I'd try to *more than* make up to her what I was taking away.

I'd feel a tad uncomfortable about it. My 17 year old wore a dress like that to prom, and I guess I felt okay about it then...nothing actually showed that I felt was indecent, just a lot of bareness. If my 14 year old were very voluptuous, I'd probably say no, but if all of the important parts were truly covered, I might let her wear it to a special event. (But I'd encourage her to wear a sweater! :))

:iagree: I also have a 17 year old, and she would probably not wear something that showed so much skin. I'd feel differently if it were a little longer and had straps or a shrug covering the shoulders. I think the look is a little too mature for a 14 year old.

No, but only because I don't think the style is flattering to her figure.

Or anyone's figure. The skirt looks like someone took their old 1990's balloon valances off the windows and made them into a dress.

I think the same young lady would look great in almost anything else, though!

:iagree: I don't like the dress and don't think tube-style tops look good in general.

Thanks for the replies. The picture is my niece who was going to a dance tonight and when I saw her dress and she asked me what I thought, I really had nothing to say that would be nice. I think it is too short, too revealing, and not at all a good choice. I didn't know what to say and I was a bit taken aback because she is raised by my FIL and MIL and my FIL is a pastor. :001_huh:

It's not really my business except my 6 year old DD looks up to my niece a lot and this is not something we would have even given a second glance at in a store. I wouldn't wear it and I am a grown woman and I would never dream of letting a 14 year old wear it, but I'm more conservative than most people I know, so I thought I would see what the Hive thought.

Modesty-wise I think it's okay. A bit on the short side, but as long as she was taught the proper way to sit and get in and out of cars, it would be fine. Flattering-wise I'd guide her towards a better fitting dress for her body type.

:iagree:

I also have to agree that this particular dress is not especially flattering to her body type.:001_smile:

No. It's quite unflattering.

:iagree: I don't like the dress and don't think tube-style tops look good in general.

I'd say no for these reasons. It's not flattering to her body type. Personally I think there are very few body types where strapless is flattering so I'd veto it based on that. I'd find her something that she'd look great in rather than not so great in.

Whether it is flattering or not, my thought would be if she feels great it in, why not?

I remember being 14. I try not to forget that.

When I was 14, my mom would have killed me if I asked to wear something like that. lol. Guess it depends on what you consider modest.

Well some of us (waves hand) cannot to this day make a dress like this stay up for more than 30 seconds, and have dds built along the same lines, so the question is purely academic. :lol:

However, our hs group has a dance every spring, and initially the rule was to be no strapless dresses; but, after doing a LOT of searching, I mean shopping, with their daughters, the moms determined that in many cases the strapless dresses revealed less than the plunging necklines of most of the strapped dresses. Obviously, this varies by styles of the year, but I would not forbid strapless purely on principle.:001_smile:

However, our hs group has a dance every spring, and initially the rule was to be no strapless dresses; but, after doing a LOT of searching, I mean shopping, with their daughters, the moms determined that in many cases the strapless dresses revealed less than the plunging necklines of most of the strapped dresses. Obviously, this varies by styles of the year, but I would not forbid strapless purely on principle.:001_smile:

This (bolded)is often the truth.:glare:

I don't have a problem with strapless modesty-wise, but I think for a young girl at a dance they can be uncomfortable and not fun. When dd is older and going to a dinner, I think strapless are more appropriate.