Menu

Upset at being told to wash your hands

The recent post got me thinking. Are there some people who are resistant to being clean or washing, and get offended when it gets so bad someone has to post a sign. I know some friends have a hard time getting their kids to take a shower regularly.... The teen son doesn't care about being clean and his parents have to tell him to take a shower (post on a chore chart). The teen son is angry that he is bein told to clean up. Could this sort of uncaring and bucking authority to be clean carry over to the adult years? Could this be why some adults object to showering or washing hands?

Well, I always wash my hands anyway, but I don't like to do it when I'm away from home because the temperature is often too cold. I have cold hands that can't warm up on their own and the cold water hurts! But like I said, I force myself to do it anyway because I do understand how important it is. Just to point out that it could be for reasons other than deep-seated rebellion. . .

I think some adults resent being told...they're not children. Adults know when to wash up, w/out needing to be told.

That's how it should be, at least. Unfortunately, plenty of adults wipe themselves and then don't wash their hands and go on to do things like prepare food at a restaurant or whatever and risk other people. Yuck.

I would be offended that someone would assume I wasn't going to wash my hands. It's kind of insulting.

Lots of people need to be told. My psyc class did a project in college where we took turns watching a bathroom to see how many people washed their hands. With someone watching, you would be surprised how many people did NOT wash their hands. Adults!

I think some adults resent being told...they're not children. Adults know when to wash up, w/out needing to be told.

except they don't necessarily wash their hands without the signs. studies of medical personnel in HOSPITALS have found some have poor wash habits, and that means transmission of germs to vulnerable patients.

for restaurants - which usually have low skilled workers serving the food out front with customers - that is a food saftey issue and they can be fined, or shut down, by the health dept if it is determined employees aren't washing their hands and it results in a food borne illness amongst the patrons.

businesses have signs up precisly *because* these so-called adults don't want to/can't be bothered/are rebelling/etc. It only takes ONE person not washing their hands to spread illness - some of them serious.

eta: I guess my feeling is, someone having an issue with the signs needs to "get over themself". If they bother you and you already wash your hands, ignore them.

as for the not wanting to shower - is it rebellion, or a sensitivity issue where the feel of the water on his skin is physically uncomfortable? a different showerhead might help.

Edited by gardenmom5

except they don't necessarily wash their hands without the signs. studies of medical personnel in HOSPITALS have found some have poor wash habits, and that means transmission of germs to vulnerable patients.

for restaurants - which usually have low skilled workers serving the food out front with customers - that is a food saftey issue and they can be fined, or shut down, by the health dept if it is determined employees aren't washing their hands and it results in a food borne illness amongst the patrons.

businesses have signs up precisly *because* these so-called adults don't want to/can't be bothered/are rebelling/etc. It only takes ONE person not washing their hands to spread illness - some of them serious.

eta: I guess my feeling is, someone having an issue with the signs needs to "get over themself". If they bother you and you already wash your hands, ignore them.

as for the not wanting to shower - is it rebellion, or a sensitivity issue where the feel of the water on his skin is physically uncomfortable? a different showerhead might help.

Yes, one piece of advice I have read for people who are hospitalized is to insist that any person who touches you wash/sanitize their hands first. Not every medical professional does that without the reminder. These are people who know something about bacteria and viruses, and yet still don't remember or don't bother to wash or sanitize hands between patients.

That's how it should be, at least. Unfortunately, plenty of adults wipe themselves and then don't wash their hands and go on to do things like prepare food at a restaurant or whatever and risk other people. Yuck.

:iagree: I am amazed at how many people walk out of public restrooms without washing their hands. I do not want them touching my things lol.

:iagree: I am amazed at how many people walk out of public restrooms without washing their hands. I do not want them touching my things lol.

Maybe I have another reason why those signs would rub me the wrong way. In all my bathroom experiences in all of my life, I don't think I've noticed more than a dozen non-washers. I usually notice details, but maybe I zone out in the bathroom? From now on I am going to record how many non-handwashers I see.

Hmmm...maybe it's also skewed by the number of people using hand sanitizer today? It takes a miracle for me to get my children through an event without someone trying to slop that garbage on them. My children are a bit sensitive, and it irritates their skin terribly.

Maybe I have another reason why those signs would rub me the wrong way. In all my bathroom experiences in all of my life, I don't think I've noticed more than a dozen non-washers. I usually notice details, but maybe I zone out in the bathroom? From now on I am going to record how many non-handwashers I see.

Hmmm...maybe it's also skewed by the number of people using hand sanitizer today? It takes a miracle for me to get my children through an event without someone trying to slop that garbage on them. My children are a bit sensitive, and it irritates their skin terribly.

:iagree:

And I can think of very very few adults that strike me as regularly unshowered also.

I wish people would stop watching others in the bathroom. For crying out loud. I don't wash my hands in public bathrooms. The sink and handles are filthy, the water is freezing or too hot, and the soap tears up my hands. I wash with the stuff in my purse, and if I'm not making your dinner or sharing your keyboard, mind your own business!!!! You're probably the one who peed on the seat for everyone else even though there were seat covers right there!!!!

Whew! Did I mention I hate public bathrooms? Avoid them whenever possible! :D

Sandy

I wish people would stop watching others in the bathroom. For crying out loud. I don't wash my hands in public bathrooms. The sink and handles are filthy, the water is freezing or too hot, and the soap tears up my hands. I wash with the stuff in my purse, and if I'm not making your dinner or sharing your keyboard, mind your own business!!!! You're probably the one who peed on the seat for everyone else even though there were seat covers right there!!!!

Sandy

You keep running water and soap in your purse??

I do sometimes travel with my own soap, especially in winter, because public restrooms often have perfumed or gluten-containing soaps that my skin can't handle. I never considered not washing, though.

I turn on the faucet with my hands, wash thoroughly, and then leave the water running while dry my hands. Then I use a dry paper towel to turn off the faucet and open the door.

I think it is ridiculous to assert that people who wash their hands have urinated on toilet seats. I think it's more likely that people who won't even wash their hands are probably the ones who won't clean up after themselves in other ways.

So some people won't wash their dishes, some people won't wash their hands in public bathrooms...no wonder everybody is sick this winter.

Hygiene heals. Sanitation protects the vulnerable. Disease is spread through filth. We need to go back in time and re-learn some things.

You're probably the one who peed on the seat for everyone else even though there were seat covers right there!!!!

Sandy

:lol: Oh, please don't get me started on the pee (or worse!) on the seat!

Frankly, I don't think handwashing in public restrooms is all that effective anyway. Most people touch the handles of the sink, then wash their hands, then touch the handles again, then touch the towel dispenser, then touch the doorhandles... :ack2:

I'll also say that there have been times when I haven't washed my hands or had the kids wash theirs because the bathrooms were so gross that we just went home and washed. Blech.

The only thing I can contribute to this thread is that men are worse than women when it comes to washing their hands.

I used to be involved in a 24 hour Cancer walk-a-thon and it took place at a high school stadium. We would provide the pump hand soap in the bathrooms, because it seem they normal dispensers was always out. The first year we had 3 dispensers in the mens and womens. Less than half way through the event, the women's ran out. I had a guy run in a check to the men's since I want to get all the dispensers refilled. The men's were over half full. We refilled the women's 3 times and the men's 0 times. There were approximately the same number of men and women at the event. Year after year it was the same. I don't know if there was some other factor, but my conclusion was that Men don't always wash their hands after using the bathroom like most women do.

Don't highlight this if you are poop squeamish. It is in white, so don't quote it either because it will show up in the quote. You have been warned.

When I was Younger Unsinkable, I was a waitress at a pizza restaurant. One of my closing jobs was to clean the "ladies'" bathroom. One night, as the last table left in the restaurant was lingering, I thought I'd do the bathroom. La-di-da. Sweep, swipe, swish, scrub, SPARKLE!

The "lady" at the table used the bathroom before she and the rest of the "party" left. I finished my side jobs, along with the other staff who was left and decided to use the bathroom once more myself.

There was a DELIBERATE TURD RIGHT ON THE TOILET SEAT. No one leaves something THIS BIG on the seat accidentally. I was gaaaaaagggging!

I ran out to tell the manager and everyone left stuck his/her head in to look at the DELIBERATE TURD. We were all super-grossed out.

Luckily for me, my manager was nice enough to clean it up. He was a good guy. He drove a Monte Carlo.

Unsinkable - Unfortunately a similar thing happened at a place I worked at long ago. I will tell myself it was the same person so I can go on believing only one person in the world would do that.

UGH! I'll join you in your belief of One Random Deliberate XXXX-Leaver who is defiling our fine nation.

seriously, what kind of pig does that? --and THAT is not meant for anywhere but HOME in the first place!!!

And, I have a super big pump of sanitizer in my van ad the kids KNOW that whenever we get in the car, we use it. I've also been known to keep a container of Seventh Generation sanitizing thymol wipes in the car.

Edited by justamouse

Unsinkable - Unfortunately a similar thing happened at a place I worked at long ago. I will tell myself it was the same person so I can go on believing only one person in the world would do that.

But last year my dh came out of the men's room at a restaurant and told us there was a similar ... incident .... So this one person in the world is apparently using restrooms of both genders.

The recent post got me thinking. Are there some people who are resistant to being clean or washing, and get offended when it gets so bad someone has to post a sign. I know some friends have a hard time getting their kids to take a shower regularly.... The teen son doesn't care about being clean and his parents have to tell him to take a shower (post on a chore chart). The teen son is angry that he is bein told to clean up. Could this sort of uncaring and bucking authority to be clean carry over to the adult years? Could this be why some adults object to showering or washing hands?

Still not sure the OP was as upset about being told to wash her hands as by the unprofessional tone of the silly note. I could be putting words in her mouth; just the impression I got.

I still think unprofessional note posting in bathrooms is kinda 6th grade.

By adulthood, things should be able to be worked out openly, though some of the captioned kilt photos were pretty funny ;)

fyi to those who watch and judge people in the restrooms:

some people are allergic to soap. Some people are also allergic to hand sanitizer. Touching the handles to wash with just water, which would be done at home, is an idea loaded with germs in a public restroom if you cannot use soap. Those people also sometimes do not shower but once a week because the regular contact with water dries out their skin and causes them to have eczema. These people are very self conscious when they are in public restrooms because they can feel your disapproving stares following them. Trust me, they would love to be able to wash their hands like you do; but they CANNOT. PLEASE QUIT JUDGING PEOPLE BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY BEHAVE THE WAY THEY DO!

Sandy

My sentiments exactly!

fyi to those who watch and judge people in the restrooms:

some people are allergic to soap. Some people are also allergic to hand sanitizer. Touching the handles to wash with just water, which would be done at home, is an idea loaded with germs in a public restroom if you cannot use soap. Those people also sometimes do not shower but once a week because the regular contact with water dries out their skin and causes them to have eczema. These people are very self conscious when they are in public restrooms because they can feel your disapproving stares following them. Trust me, they would love to be able to wash their hands like you do; but they CANNOT. PLEASE QUIT JUDGING PEOPLE BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY BEHAVE THE WAY THEY DO!

No need to shout, Lolly.

If rinsing their hands is possible why don't they use paper towels to turn on the faucet?

Do you know what percentage of people are allergic to soap and water? As I said upthread, I carry my own non-allergic soap. I wonder if that would be an option for at least a few.

My niece has severe eczema. My SIL has found a brand of wet wipe that doesn't harm dniece, and they travel with those to use after bathroom visits and before eating. I wonder if there are any companies making non-allergic wipes that might be an option for at least a few.

I do judge people for using bathroom facilities and not washing their hands, if they then go out into the world to spread their germs to shopping cart handles, doorknobs, food preparation areas, and everything else. I judge them as people with unwashed hands spreading germs. I'm not saying they are Satan, I'm just saying that they are putting others at risk.

That's not mean. That's the statement of a mother who can't seem to get her kids healthy this winter in spite of good hygiene at home, proper nutrition, fresh water, and a visit to the doctor when we actually had strep throat and ear infections.

Of course, I had to ask the doctor and the nurse to wash their hands. They had to be reminded of that.

Unsinkable, something like that happened at my dh's place of employment. You want to know where my dh works? A flipping nuclear power plant! They had a phantom pooper. Some guy was walking around and dropping a #2 in the plant. IN THE PLANT!!!!!! Seriously, I am not making this up. It happened twice within a month. IN THE PLANT!!!!!!!

Yes. Hepatitis A anyone?

There have been two alerts that I know of in my home town about a restaurant and Hep A. It really matters when people wipe and then don't wash.

For anyone on the fence about whether handwashing is a good idea or not, here is a word from the Center for Disease Control:

Handwashing Saves Lives

If you are not sure how, when, or why to wash your hands, see this page from the South Carolina Department of Health:

Handwashing 101

Look, we don't use anti-bacterial soaps or triclosan at my house. We don't use hand sanitizer. We use homemade soaps, hypo-allergenic soaps, glycerin soaps, lye soaps...whatever my own eczema-prone hands can handle.

We don't deodorize, febreeze, fake-candle-scented-thingy, or perfume anything here. We try to avoid petroleum-based cleaners and toiletries, and we hate dyes and scents.

We clean house with vinegar, baking soda, lemon, and old-fashioned soap.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater (so to speak). It is true that Americans can go overboard with anti-bacterial and chemical garbage out of phobia about a few germs or natural smells that aren't always nice.

But it is also true that we no longer have some horrible diseases because of improved sanitation! Or at least, that was true when I was growing up. There is very sane middle ground in which we keep ourselves clean and avoid spreading germs unnecessarily.

Now all of these diseases related to poor sanitation are coming back. Tuberculosis, antibiotic-resistant flu, skin diseases, pneumonia, hepatitis A, bacterial meningitis, and so many others. Look at what they've endured at the Occupy Wall Street sites. Third world illnesses resulting from third world living conditions.

I truly believe that poor hygiene spreads disease. Our parents and grandparents were into cleanliness and healthful hygiene. Our generation brags about not washing dirty dishes and not washing hands after using the toilet.

I'm about as grossed out as I can get at this point, so you won't have to listen to me harping about handwashing anymore. I hope I haven't offended. I just don't see how handwashing after using the toilet is a controversial subject with room for lots of opinions. I just don't get it.

That is why they are offended, but then they are still ...

Yes, one piece of advice I have read for people who are hospitalized is to insist that any person who touches you wash/sanitize their hands first. Not every medical professional does that without the reminder. These are people who know something about bacteria and viruses, and yet still don't remember or don't bother to wash or sanitize hands between patients.

These nurses and such that get offended when I told them, repeatedly, to wash their hands or use the wall mounted hand sanitizer. I had to tell every one of them, every time they walked into my hospital room. And they always got ..huffy.. About it? Despite me phrasing it as, "I know I'm probably rediculously paranoid, but could you please wash your hands at the door? Thank you so much!":glare:

As an aside... I have a standard policy of touch nothing if at all possible in a public restroom. I keep multiple bottles of hand sanitizer and antiseptic wipes in my backpack and the van and diaper bag. It's so gross and there often isn't a towel dispenser. My goal with kids and public restrooms is get in, touch nothing, get out as fast as possible, douse with disinfectant.

I'd be thrilled if they had little science fiction decontamination chambers between the bathroom and the exit. Really now, it's 2012. Why aren't we doing that yet?

If rinsing their hands is possible why don't they use paper towels to turn on the faucet?

Somehow I tend to end up in restrooms that don't supply paper towels -- only those air dryers. And I stand there trying to figure out how to NOT touch anything, including the door handle, but without a paper towel. Use up the toilet paper?

Overall, these discussions are leading me to believe I need to start looking for higher quality restrooms -- I also tend to find the ones with only cold water.

Unsinkable, something like that happened at my dh's place of employment. You want to know where my dh works? A flipping nuclear power plant! They had a phantom pooper. Some guy was walking around and dropping a #2 in the plant. IN THE PLANT!!!!!! Seriously, I am not making this up. It happened twice within a month. IN THE PLANT!!!!!!!

Would you say the fact that I'm totally enchanted with the phrase "phantom pooper" tells you that I should probably go to bed?

(Alas, teen is at Winter Jam and won't be home for another hour, so y'all are stuck with me.)

Not nearly as bad, but this reminds me of something that happened last year at my dh's school. A student took a dump right in the doorway of my dh's classroom. About 10 yards away from the restroom. On camera. :001_huh:

It wasn't a student my dh had/has or knows, so it was random that the student selected his room to relieve himself of his load. His coworkers really seemed to enjoy that my dh, who is normally a beloved teacher, was the lucky one. :tongue_smilie:

Somehow I tend to end up in restrooms that don't supply paper towels -- only those air dryers. And I stand there trying to figure out how to NOT touch anything, including the door handle, but without a paper towel. Use up the toilet paper?

Overall, these discussions are leading me to believe I need to start looking for higher quality restrooms -- I also tend to find the ones with only cold water.

Would you say the fact that I'm totally enchanted with the phrase "phantom pooper" tells you that I should probably go to bed?

(Alas, teen is at Winter Jam and won't be home for another hour, so y'all are stuck with me.)

Everyone referred to him (we are assuming it was a him since no woman I have ever met would do something like that) as the phantom pooper. In our town of 3500 people, this was the story of the year.

My dh is working the night shift tonight. I could talk about poop all night.

Not nearly as bad, but this reminds me of something that happened last year at my dh's school. A student took a dump right in the doorway of my dh's classroom. About 10 yards away from the restroom. On camera. :001_huh:

It wasn't a student my dh had/has or knows, so it was random that the student selected his room to relieve himself of his load. His coworkers really seemed to enjoy that my dh, who is normally a beloved teacher, was the lucky one. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: I will never understand that mentality. When I was still living with my parents, I witnessed a public pooper (totally different than a phantom pooper). We were exiting the interstate (I-10, a well-traveled highway) when we saw a public pooper holding onto the stop sign and relieving himself. Right there. With traffic. In broad daylight.:confused:

You also think handwashers pee on toilet seats?

Actually, I do know at least a few people who are so grossed out by toilet seats that they won't sit--hence, the pee on the seat. They would never leave the bathroom without washing though.

This whole conversation is cracking me up! As for Unsinkable's story, I'm willing to believe that the XXXX-leaver is the same being. However, I want to know how the person who wipes the poop on the stall walls gets around so much! I remember seeing it when I was younger and wondering how that particular accident happens. It wasn't until I was much older and more experienced in the ways of the world that it occurred to me that it was NOT an accident :scared:

I think the sign was offensive because of the tone. And IMO, the sign would be ineffective because those of us who want to wash our hands, do. Those who don't wish to wash (due to laziness, upbringing, weird rationalizing, bad science knowledge, or allergy to soap and forgot to bring hypo-allergenic soap), are not going to be convinced by a snarky sign. No matter how many exclamation points this sign has. And as previous posters have alluded to, the sign was worded so poorly that it may actually irritate a few authority issue type folks enough to make them stop washing. So even more offensive to me than the tone, is the ineffectiveness of the sign.

For the record, I'm an obsessive hand-washer and have taught my children - both boys - the same. Love seeing them come out of the men's room using a papertowel to open the door! :)

By the way, I just logged on for a few minutes and in short succession read a total of 4 different posts mentioning excrement on this forum. The nasty restaurant patron, the nuclear plant phantom, the stop sign defiler, and one poster in a different thread talking about 'going#2' in an exercise scheduling thread. There should be warning signs for these things. I am now so creeped out I am going to go wash my hands and then take a shower. Possibly in bleach.

Schools aren't helping teach good handwashing practices. Some of the schools in my town don't provide soap in the bathrooms. I always think about that when some Highschool kid is bagging my groceries or taking my order.

Several years ago, the school my sister was attending took soap out of the bathrooms, because people were behaving inappropriately with it in some way (wasting it, or using it to make messes). My sister wrote a letter to the school about it - it was a very polite letter, but also to the point. She wanted the opportunity to use soap!! I believe they put the soap back in. There were no paper towels in the school's bathrooms though.

I am just so practical...and where others see this as weird rationalizing, I see this as being clear on the facts of handwashing.

I think what is driving the handwashing hysteria is a basic fear...who was that comedian that said all fears are based ultimately the fear of death?

Here are the facts...my children rarely wash their hands in our home we use the restroom 8x a day I guess and wash hands twice maybe, uness I am cooking, at someone else's house, just finished cleaning the horses hooves, or at a restaurant/public place.

To be honest..you can take it to extremes...washing hands for less than 20 seconds is not recommended...bacteria/viruses can still survive. Be honest, of those that do the obligatory handwash...have you washed for 20 seconds? Count out twent seconds of washing, not the time it takes to wet your habds and reach for the soap but full on washing. Remember it says a minimum, that is why doctors scrub for a very long time.

So, if the goal is to avoid transferring bacteria/viruses...most have failed. If the goal is to appease those who are concerned about the passing of germs...I will do it out of sensitivity to their irrational fears. Now, of course visiting anyone in the hospital warrants long handwashing, for their needs and my own...

I eat well, I have taken less than 10 antibiotics in the past 25 years...I never use hand sanitizer (I buy into the fact that it actually promotes supergerm proliferation)...I trust my body's insanely amazing ability to fight infection...and the whole handwashing thing for people in their own homes is just an attempt to gain control over the illnesses that inconvenience us...but who here has had a stomach flu bug..you have washed everything, told the kids to open the door with their sleeve over their hand, washed hands dutifully and everyone or most still get sick? I actually have only had stomach flu twice in our house in 20 years

One time it was food poisoning and we all got it, and the other was a virus, all got it but me, the one who never washes hands every time I use the restroom in my own home...no correlation really...just saying I think the reality of handwashing has been blown out of proportion...I wish more people would demand more eat more veggies...

Keep yourself healthy, eat the right things, do not take it overboard...

Handwashing: I give it the old college try. Generally I'm stuck with cold water and only my pants to dry my hands on.

:lol: I will never understand that mentality. When I was still living with my parents, I witnessed a public pooper (totally different than a phantom pooper). We were exiting the interstate (I-10, a well-traveled highway) when we saw a public pooper holding onto the stop sign and relieving himself. Right there. With traffic. In broad daylight.:confused:

It has to be some kind of mental illness.

--------

Re: Unsinkable's story

Generally poop is roundish. Generally toilet seats incline toward the bowl. I can only figure that "lady" had to remove the stuff from the bowl or do it into her hand so she could secure it to the seat.

Again, has to be some kind of mental illness to want to play with poop.