Menu

Where I work there is now a sign on the bathroom door that reads something like

If you were planning on walking out the door without washing your hands, turn right back around and wash them! It is gross and disgusting to work with employees who don't follow common hygiene guidelines...

Are there any laws against using this kind of language on signs addressed to your employees? Don't get me wrong; I think everyone should be washing their hands. I just think this should be expressed more along the lines of:

Please remember we all share keyboards, and wash your hands.

Edited by crstarlette

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any laws against using this kind of language on signs addressed to your employees? Don't get me wrong; I think everyone should be washing their hands. I just think this should be expressed more along the lines of:

I'm not trying to minimize your feelings, but really?? It's gross and disgusting. It obviously must have been an issue in the past. I'm not sure we can/should try to legislate politeness. We have a zillion useless laws as it is. Try to ignore it, would be my advice. (Not the hand-washing, just the wording of the sign, lol!)

Edited by Julie in CA

Why do you need a law to address it if you have problems with the wording?

Wow. I'm really surprised that so many of you would be okay with someone screaming at you that it is gross and disgusting to work with you. I can't imagine that going well between people in any situation.

ETA: How about, "Teaching you is gross and disgusting." If anyone said that to my children...

Edited by crstarlette

Why do you need a law to address it if you have problems with the wording?

Something to point them to to encourage them to change it. "Look, it is not just my opinion that this is a terrbile way to treat employees or anyone, it is illegal to treat employees this way since one can't simply walk away from job."

You could always just go in undercover and replace the sign yourself to one that says: "Please remember that we all share keyboards and wash your hands. Please also use tact when making signs. It is demeaning to work with employees who don't communicate respectfully to others." hehe.

Not really, but it would be funny to see the look on the original sign-maker's face when they saw their sign replaced.

You could always just go in undercover and replace the sign yourself to one that says: "Please remember that we all share keyboards and wash your hands. Please also use tact when making signs. It is demeaning to work with employees who don't communicate respectfully to others." hehe.

Not really, but it would be funny to see the look on the original sign-maker's face when they saw their sign replaced.

Love this! You should totally do it!

Wow. I'm really surprised that so many of you would be okay with someone screaming at you that it is gross and disgusting to work with you. I can't imagine that going well between people in any situation.

ETA: How about, "Teaching you is gross and disgusting." If anyone said that to my children...

It is gross and disgusting to not wash hands after using the bathroom. I'm not sure what that has to do with teaching a child though:confused: I definitely would not have a problem if one of their Sunday school teachers told them it was gross and disgusting for them to come to class with toilet germ hands.:001_huh: The sign did not say it was gross and disgusting to work with you, just that is was gross and disgusting to work with you having toilet hands.

There are truly worse things out there to be offended by... by which to be offended. :D

I guess it would only bother me if I wasn't planning on washing my hands. ;)

:lol::iagree::lol:

I originally wrote a note on a common chalkboard that the sign is offensive and to "please consider rewording" it. They erased the note. I threw the sign away. They dug it out of the garbage and hung it back up! (I know it's the same one because it is creased where I folded it in half.) I guess replacing the sign is the next logical step.

I guess this sign wouldn't offend me because it wouldn't apply to me. (I wash my hands!)

If someone called you a @#$% (insert any word here the B word, the C word - whatever) would that be okay with you because it didn't apply? Also, if it did apply would it be okay with you? "Gosh, you're right so it matters not that you're yelling at me about it and saying it's gross and disgusting to work with me."

I originally wrote a note on a common chalkboard that the sign is offensive and to "please consider rewording" it. They erased the note. I threw the sign away. They dug it out of the garbage and hung it back up! (I know it's the same one because it is creased where I folded it in half.) I guess replacing the sign is the next logical step.

If someone called you a @#$% (insert any word here the B word, the C word - whatever) would that be okay with you because it didn't apply? Also, if it did apply would it be okay with you? "Gosh, you're right so it matters not that you're yelling at me about it and saying it's gross and disgusting to work with me."

WOW, I guess you really don't like to wash your hands!! Oh well, we all have our hang ups. :tongue_smilie:

I wouldn't equate that sign with someone screaming at me. And it is gross and disgusting to work with germs associated with . . . bathroom business, isn't it?

If you wash your hands, the sign isn't directed to you.

Maybe I'm jaded, but the sign wouldn't bother me.

Your ETA example is completely different. Completely.

They are yelling. There are many exclamation points. As far as I'm concerned the sign is directed at everyone because everyone has to see it. I feel like I am being yelled at every time I leave the bathroom.

I think my ETA example is quite similar. A person in a position of authority is yelling at a person in a position under them that working with them is gross and disgusting. How is it completely different?

They are yelling. There are many exclamation points. As far as I'm concerned the sign is directed at everyone because everyone has to see it. I feel like I am being yelled at every time I leave the bathroom.

I think my ETA example is quite similar. A person in a position of authority is yelling at a person in a position under them that working with them is gross and disgusting. How is it completely different?

Because you are comparing CHILDREN to ADULTS.

I

I guess this is the difference - I don't see it as yelling. And, yes. If you didn't wash your hands after using the bathroom, I would find it disgusting to work near you. And, I'd be grateful to anyone who told you that.

I don't understand why you felt justified in tearing down something posted in your workplace, but apparently don't feel empowered enough to act otherwise. If you are this troubled by the sign, instead of writing another note, or hiding the current one, why not approach the person who wrote it? Or management?

(I hope everyone washed their hands after putting the note in and taking the note out of the trash bin.:lol:)

A person in a position of authority is yelling at a person in a position under them that working with them is gross and disgusting.

...IF you return to work after using the bathroom and do not wash your hands.

Maybe you can find somewhere else to work?

Really? You're equating the C word with a sign about hand washing?

And saying it's generally gross and disgusting to work with you is a much different message from what the sign is trying to convey.

At any rate, no, legislating courtesy speech is not the answer.

I believe you missed the point. The point it that having something offensive yelled at you is offensive whether it is accurate or not. If one is not offended by the sign it is not because it is offensive but does not apply to them, it is simply because they find it inoffensive.

I remember my son coming out of the men's room at the mall in Topeka (he was late 2). A guard, dressed like a mountie with flaired-thigh trousers, came out just before him. My son shouted to the whole food court that the man had neglected to wash his hands. The man didn't miss a step, but kept right on walking. Out of the mouth of babes ... :lol:

Ignore the sign. It is truly not a big deal and I fear if you push the issue further, you will end up alienating your coworkers and possibly lose your job. You have already made your opinion known...if you must pursue, maybe you could privately talk to the person in charge of your area if the sign can be replaced. If it were placed in my children's school and it offended them, I would tell them to ignore it too.

Ok, somehow I missed (I skim, what can i say!!) that you want to know if there is a LAW about this? Oh my word, what a frivilous lawsuit that would be!!! There isn't even any profanity for pete's sake.

I can see your point that the sign is treating you and your co-workers like children. However, there is absolutely no basis for legal action here. Personally, I would be more upset that someone had some reason to feel this was necessary. And, I would worry that if I caused a big ruckus, people would assume *I* was the disgusto in question.

Since you feel strongly, I would do the above. Even though NanceXToo was kidding, I am seriously saying do it. You'll get your point across and you'll feel better and you'll be responding in kind to the anonymous sign-maker. And there will still be a sign directed toward the disgusto who caused the original problem. It's an all-around fabulous plan.

They're saying that being exposed to the germs that are present on unwashed hands, and then being spread to keyboards, phones, etc., is disgusting. That's not the same as saying that an individual is disgusting. It's the behavior (lack of hygiene) which is disgusting, and not just because of personal preference, but for health reasons.

Also, some people do get carried away with exclamation points, but I wouldn't feel the same emotion upon seeing that sign as I would if my boss literally yelled at me.

Wendi

I don't find the sign offensive, I find it enlightening. Personally, I would want to yell at people who don't wash their hands before returning to work. Anyway, the sign makes me want to keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket and any time I had to touch something that was heavily shared by other workers, I would sanitize my hands. Did management hang that sign? If so, can you imagine what prompted that? Ewwww.. Did a disgruntled employee post that sign? If so, it's probably not a person I would be willing to confront. Goodness knows what they would do in retaliation. I suppose you could surreptitiously remove the sign, fold it to fit in your pocket and throw it away in a different trash can so they can't find it. Likely, they'll hang another, you'll take it down, they'll hang another, you'll take it down, etc. until one of you tires of the game.

I'm not suggesting legal action should be taken. I'm only asking if there is a law against it - or something less severe, but I just can't think of what that would be. I just want some sort of code of conduct that could be shown to someone who simply erases a request to reword the sign. FWIW - I am not the only employee who finds the sign offensive.

I believe I did miss your point. And may be doing it again.

I get that you would be offended by the message whether it's accurate to say about you or not. But you're telling me that I should be offended? Because you are? Because you've determined that the message is hurtful? That doesn't make sense to me.

And anyway, people can say offensive things. You get to ignore them or challenge them or laugh at them or argue with them or roll your eyes at them . . . many possibilities, really. All of which are superior to trying to legislate them.

No. I didn't say that at all.

In all seriousness, I really do see why it might rub you/some people the wrong way.

I also do see why the signmaker might have been rubbed the wrong way and have felt the need to write it in the first place.

You've tried already to get them to change it by going about it in a roundabout way (throwing the sign out, leaving an anonymous message) and they didn't feel compelled to go along with it and at this point I don't think there's much else you can do unless you want to A) go with replacing the sign yourself and seeing what happens, or B) having a very direct/polite talk with your supervisor and explaining respectfully but directly in a face-to-face conversation that the way the sign is written it comes across as talking down and a bit demeaning and a few of you are a little offended by it and do they think they can hang up something like this instead and then hand them one you made that is more tactful and direct and see what they say if you ask them very matter-of-factly like that. That's the only thing you can do if it's really that important to you that you can't just ignore it.

If that doesn't work (or if it's not worth a face to face confrontation- and keep in mind this may just make you seem like a "problem employee"-), you may want to just roll your eyes, and let it go. It may be one of those things that just isn't worth getting worked up over. One of those "don't sweat the small stuff" kind of things. Really, either way, don't invest too much emotional energy into it, that's my advice. Life's too short. It's not hurting you. It's not affecting your family. A year from now, is it even going to matter? Will you even remember it?

Edited by NanceXToo

Ok, somehow I missed (I skim, what can i say!!) that you want to know if there is a LAW about this? Oh my word, what a frivilous lawsuit that would be!!! There isn't even any profanity for pete's sake.

I was trying to be polite before. I halfway thought it was a joke. Now I see that the OP is completely serious. :001_huh:

There's no profanity. No screaming. No personal accusations.

What's next? Don't like the expression on someone's face? Well, there should be a law against looking at someone like that! :confused:

As a business owner, if I were that employer I'd be seriously considering if the OP was worth keeping on. Life's too short to deal with people who are so easily offended, and I certainly wouldn't continue to employ someone who displayed that unfortunate tendency unless I could find absolutely no one else who was qualified to do the job.

Gosh, I hope not.

Don't be upset with the sign, be upset that the sign is even necessary! :D

:iagree: I would have no problems with a sign like that. In fact it is pretty much the wording I have used with my own kids, and seriously if someone needs to be told to wash their hands they need to be spoken to like that to get it through their heads. jmo of course.

Let it go. The sign got your attention. The shock value worked.

And its not illegal. If the sign actually used the B or C word then their might be an issue, but if it doesn't there isn't a problem. There are plenty of employment law issues without worrying about someone getting offended by a sign with an unprofessional tone.

I don't think there needs to be a "law." If that sign offended any of the employees, they should go to management and complain.

Or pray that the folks who needed such strong reminders of such basic personal cleanliness will get a clue. :glare:

It is gross and disgusting to not wash hands after using the bathroom. I'm not sure what that has to do with teaching a child though:confused: I definitely would not have a problem if one of their Sunday school teachers told them it was gross and disgusting for them to come to class with toilet germ hands.:001_huh: The sign did not say it was gross and disgusting to work with you, just that is was gross and disgusting to work with you having toilet hands.

There are truly worse things out there to be offended by... by which to be offended. :D

I agree. It *is* gross and disgusting... We shouldn't make it illegal to be truthful. That's stating a fact, not putting down anyone in particular.

This reminds me of how I used to get really irritated when store checkers would end our transaction with, "Have a great day!" all cheerful and completely unaware of my desire to have a pity party that day. Seriously. Who the heck are THEY to tell ME what to do? LOL

Then I grew up and got over myself.

Signed,

Still a Work-In-Progress

Albeit Now Wearing Big Girl Panties

There are no laws legislating politeness. Thank goodness.

A written sign is not yelling (despite what netiquette tells us about caps and exclamation points).

I find the wording of the sign strong and firm, but I'd be disturbed thinking that it was necessary, not disturbed by the sign.

Indeed, it is gross and disgusting to be around anyone who doesn't wash hands after using the bathroom.

I think that the fact that this disturbs you so much is a "sign" of some other unhappiness personally, or more likely at work, as it seems disproportionate to the sign itself, especially since you say it is not applicable to you in particular. I'd suggest you reflect on how you feel about this job and the people you work with. Maybe it is time for a change for you?

All that said, if you are generally happy with your job, and this sign is the only real complaint you have, then I would suggest you ask for a sit down meeting with your boss. Tell them the sign upsets you. Tell them how stressed it makes you. Tell them that you always have, and still do, wash your hands, but that for some reason this sign feels like a reprimand and makes you unhappy. Tell them you love your job, but that it is hard to see that sign everyday. Bring with you a couple variations on the sign that you have ready to go -- ones that make the message clear but are more polite in your opinion. If they are smart bosses and they value your continued employment, they will be open to your suggestions, especially if you have the signs ready to hang!

No one yelled at anyone for starters it was a sign. It is up to the reader to put a "voice" to it. For you you perceived it as yelling, that is an issue in your perceptions not a problem with the sign itself.

As for the ETA. I have told my children and children I care for that it si gross and digusting to not wash hands, or to pick noses etc and that the rest of us don't want to play with those germs. There is a big difference between saying the behaviour is gross and disgusting (and that is what the sign said) and saying Hey you, you are gross and disgusting (which the sign did not say). It is no different than how to teach our kids that a certain behaviour is "bad" but they as a person are not. I see the sign the same way, it's a way to point out the behaviour is disgusting and gross without calling anyone out directly.

If the person who wrote the sign put a particular name on it or went to the offending party and said "you are disgusting and gross for not washing your hands" I could see being offended. BUt over this sign. Um nope. It seems ridiculous to be offended over it. ANd FTR I am saying the Behaviour of being offended by it is ridiculous not you as a person in case you are reading the wrong voice into my words. ;)

I'm not suggesting legal action should be taken. I'm only asking if there is a law against it - or something less severe, but I just can't think of what that would be. I just want some sort of code of conduct that could be shown to someone who simply erases a request to reword the sign. FWIW - I am not the only employee who finds the sign offensive.

No. I didn't say that at all.

There should be a "code of conduct" against a sign you don't like and against erasing your messages, but NOT against your chalkboard message or your removing other people's signs. Did I get that right?

A sign does not yell. I'm not sure where you're even coming up with this insistence that the sign is yelling.

How do you know it was your employer who posted the sign?

And if it was, you don't think you should be introuble for your behavior? I find your childish behavior far more appalling than the wording on the sign. If you had a problem with it, you should act like an adult and speak to management, not scrawl chalkboard complaints or throw away company-posted signs.

This reminds me of how I used to get really irritated when store checkers would end our transaction with, "Have a great day!" all cheerful and completely unaware of my desire to have a pity party that day. Seriously. Who the heck are THEY to tell ME what to do? LOL

Signed,

Still a Work-In-Progress

:lol: This happened to me yesterday. I was having a rotten day (husband deployed, pregnant, sick with bronchitis, hyper kids, etc.) and this teenage clerk tells me to have a great night. It almost made me laugh. :tongue_smilie:

Signed,

Still a Work-In-Progress

:smilielol5: