Menu

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FTR, my kids ARE gross and disgusting. But we're talking about adults here.

:lol::lol::iagree::lol::lol: I agree that MY kids are gross and disgusting too after having to wash my dd2's hand after she stuck them down her dirty diaper. EEEEWWWWWW!!!!!!!

I would have helped to create the original sign if my office had this problem.

OP, if you are a diligent handwasher the sign has nothing to do with you. Nobody is talking to you with that sign.

If you are not a diligent handwasher, then you should learn from somewhere that your behavior is disgusting.

The FYI on the sign either applies to a person reading or it doesn't. My sympathies are entirely with the person(s) who are grossed out by filthy bathroom habits of coworkers.

But it is gross and disgusting to NOT wash your hands after using the restroom. I see it all the time in the public, my dh see it at work.

You know what I worked in an large office when I was going through cancer tx. I had my spleen removed and 6 weeks of radiation tx. I basically had no immune system for the next two years. I received a verbal reprimand for missing too many sick days. I reminded my boss I had to touch the locked and coded doors to leave to use the restroom. I touched papers from everyone in the office. People coming to work and the lack of basic hygiene, like washing your hands or covering your mouth to sneeze or coughing in your elbow caused me to miss many days of work. If I hadn't of stood my ground and reminded them that I was sick because of what I caught IN the office, I could have lost my job.

So a strongly worded notice to wash your hands wouldn't even hit my radar. I wash my hands, it doesn't apply to me. Move on, there are bigger things in the world to get bent out of shape over.

But it is gross and disgusting to NOT wash your hands after using the restroom. I see it all the time in the public, my dh see it at work.

You know what I worked in an large office when I was going through cancer tx. I had my spleen removed and 6 weeks of radiation tx. I basically had no immune system for the next two years. I received a verbal reprimand for missing too many sick days. I reminded my boss I had to touch the locked and coded doors to leave to use the restroom. I touched papers from everyone in the office. People coming to work and the lack of basic hygiene, like washing your hands or covering your mouth to sneeze or coughing in your elbow caused me to miss many days of work. If I hadn't of stood my ground and reminded them that I was sick because of what I caught IN the office, I could have lost my job.

So a strongly worded notice to wash your hands wouldn't even hit my radar. I wash my hands, it doesn't apply to me. Move on, there are bigger things in the world to get bent out of shape over.

exactly! Like jammies in public :lol:

Honestly, it doesn't sound like anyone involved has dealt with the problem in a mature way. Passive-aggressive signs and retaliatory notes make for funny blogs, but they aren't how adults should handle conflicts. If there is a real problem with employees not washing their hands, it's a legitimate problem that needs to be addressed in a professional manner. Then again, maybe that approach has already been tried and whoever posted the sign felt the sharp, scolding tack was necessary?

Honestly, it doesn't sound like anyone involved has dealt with the problem in a mature way. Passive-aggressive signs and retaliatory notes make for funny blogs, but they aren't how adults should handle conflicts. If there is a real problem with employees not washing their hands, it's a legitimate problem that needs to be addressed in a professional manner. Then again, maybe that approach has already been tried and whoever posted the sign felt the sharp, scolding tack was necessary?

How on earth do you see that sign as passive-aggressive?:confused: It's about as direct, straight forward and to the point as I can imagine.

Legal issue? No.

Unprofessional? Absolutely. Childishly worded? Yes.

I would probably replace it with something humorously worded, and if the original was replaced, I would add, or ask management to add, an additional memorandum about professional communication in the workplace.

Yes, failing to wash one's hands is disgusting. So is addressing one's co-workers discourteously. Two wrongs do not make a right. I would not think myself the thought police, but people should generally expect a civil, respectful workplace, even when they disagree. It would be preferable to work out the disagreement face to face, but this cannot happen unless the sign maker identifies herself, or management does their job and puts an end to the nonsense. Petty office politics cut down worker productivity like you would not believe.

How on earth do you see that sign as passive-aggressive?:confused: It's about as direct, straight forward and to the point as I can imagine.

I guess they could have walked right up to the gross, disgusting person and said it to her face . . . .

"If you were planning on walking out the door without washing your hands, turn right back around and wash them! It is gross and disgusting to work with employees who don't follow common hygiene guidelines..."

Gosh, I hope not.

Don't be upset with the sign, be upset that the sign is even necessary! :D

:iagree:

ETA: How about, "Teaching you is gross and disgusting." If anyone said that to my children...

Holding hands with you is gross and disgusting if you used the bathroom and didn't wash your hands. So is sharing crayons, paper, tables, &tc. That's a closer comparison. It is gross and disgusting to do school with children that do not wash their hands after using the bathroom.

See, it's not the children or employees that are disgusting. It's working with them that's disgusting. Working with people who have fecal matter on their hands is disgusting. I'm surprised you don't agree with that.

They are yelling. There are many exclamation points. As far as I'm concerned the sign is directed at everyone because everyone has to see it. I feel like I am being yelled at every time I leave the bathroom.

I think my ETA example is quite similar. A person in a position of authority is yelling at a person in a position under them that working with them is gross and disgusting. How is it completely different?

No, they're yelling at people who are at work and do not wash their hands after using the bathroom. Your comparison does not work, because you are calling your children gross and disgusting. The sign is not calling the employees gross and disgusting, it's saying working with dirty ones is gross and disgusting.

This reminds me of how I used to get really irritated when store checkers would end our transaction with, "Have a great day!" all cheerful and completely unaware of my desire to have a pity party that day. Seriously. Who the heck are THEY to tell ME what to do? LOL

Then I grew up and got over myself.

Signed,

Still a Work-In-Progress

Albeit Now Wearing Big Girl Panties

:lol:

I love the original sign. It is truthful, to the point, and the language will get people's attention. We all have about two or three decades of conditioning to no longer notice the boring wash-your-hands signs. Which is why those are ignored. I do not think the original sign is rude. It is blunt, that's all.

I can't believe that there is a thread about a bathroom sign that is 8 pages long... and I've just sat here reading the whole thing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's how you know that many of us are procrasting about the things that we need to get done, or are simply bored today. I happen to be avoiding my housework and this thread is an entertaining one.

that's how you know that many of us are procrasting about the things that we need to get done, or are simply bored today. I happen to be avoiding my housework and this thread is an entertaining one.

ROFL!! :lol: :lol: Me too! I've sat here reading it to avoid starting my housework! But now that I've read all 8 pages I can't put the kitchen off anymore. sigh!

I can't believe that there is a thread about a bathroom sign that is 8 pages long... and I've just sat here reading the whole thing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I'm supposed to be doing something else. I have the house to myself and this was not on my list. Now I will go put it in my planner and check it off, so I'll at least look productive.

I've got the solution! Every day, get to work early, take down the sign, and replace it with a picture of a hot guy in a kilt. Give him speech bubbles and print little quips like, "I love the way that soap smells on your hands." I would nominate Russell Crowe in Gladiator first. Anyone want to post him for me? Hehe.

...wait, is this a unisex bathroom? :P

Edited by NanceXToo

I think you should have put JAWM (Just agree with me.) It's clear you don't want to hear that it wouldn't bother so many other people and that they don't think it is yelling or that it is saying anything about people rather than their behavior or that it is directed at everyone because it is on the door.

I've got the solution! Every day, get to work early, take down the sign, and replace it with a picture of a hot guy in a kilt. Give him speech bubbles and print little quips like, "I love the way that soap smells on your hands."

:lol:

that require people not to act like jerks sometimes. I think this is something that people fail to understand. There is no law that says your wife can't sometimes be nagging. You have to figure that one out yourself. There is no law that says your husband can't be crabby and rude. There is no law that says children can't pick at each other (in ways that aren't bullying). And there is no law that says your employer can't be abrasive and rude.

I do think the sign is abrasive and rude. But no. You can't have a law prohibiting him/her from being aggressive. I will join you in saying that yes, it's rude and no, it probably should be stated otherwise. But I don't get the idea that there should be a law to cover this for you.

You know what I hate? I hate when I use the handicapped stall with the changing table for my children, and then wash everyone's hands in the sink inside that stall. People don't realize they have sinks too, and give me dirty looks until I loudly tell my children how they need to not touch anything on our way out since we already washed our hands.

On the inside I'd be annoyed at the sign too.

I've got the solution! Every day, get to work early, take down the sign, and replace it with a picture of a hot guy in a kilt. Give him speech bubbles and print little quips like, "I love the way that soap smells on your hands." I would nominate Russell Crowe in Gladiator first. Anyone want to post him for me? Hehe.

Nance wins. This is the best idea I've heard in a long time. (Sad, isn't it?)

Wendi

I'm not trying to minimize your feelings, but really?? It's gross and disgusting. It obviously must have been an issue in the past. I'm not sure we can/should try to legislate politeness. We have a zillion useless laws as it is. Try to ignore it, would be my advice. (Not the hand-washing, just the wording of the sign, lol!)

:iagree: If you wash your hands already, you don't need to be reading the sign. there are many people - even medical professionals - who don't bother to wash their hands. for some people, being blunt is more likely to get their attention.

ROFL :lol::lol: I like the way you think. Will this one do?? :D

bathroom.png

The ones of him in the kilt all looked like he was shouting so I thought best not to use them. ;)

Oh. But...but... the OP's employers supposedly want to shout with their signs, and the OP wants something more tactful, so maybe Russell Crowe in a kilt looking like he's shouting can be a reasonable compromise? ::hopeful look::

There was another one you guys post here sometimes that I like but I can't remember his name. All I can remember about it now is that somebody said once that he had funny knees and I was thinking REALLY?! You're gonna nitpick THAT?! But alas I can't even remember his name. I don't think he was shouting. Blah. I wish I could remember who he was. LOL.

I also strongly dislike preachy signs that treat adults like children. It sort of brings to mind John Taylor Gatto's ideas about how our society is set up to

keep people in petpetual adolescence.

I kind of think people who don't wash their hands after using the toilet DESERVE to be treated like adolescents.

As a sidenote: I end up waiting for my kids in public bathrooms a LOT, it amazes me how many people...WOMEN...don't wash their hands. Maybe not half...but I would say 1/3 don't wash hands at non-restaurant restrooms. I'm the one using elbows to turn off faucets and paper towels to open doors.

ETA: About the sign.... Let it go. In fact, wouldn't freedom of speech protect the sign, as far as legality? Ticking off the boss is a different matter.

Edited by snickelfritz

That blog is hysterical.

Oh. But...but... the OP's employers supposedly want to shout with their signs, and the OP wants something more tactful, so maybe Russell Crowe in a kilt looking like he's shouting can be a reasonable compromise? ::hopeful look::

Something like this?? I have to confess, if I saw this in the bathroom I think I would die laughing. :lol::lol::lol:

crowe.png

I reckon it is a co-worker putting it up? I can't see a company doing that as described with the excess exclamation points. I would totally (anonymously) keep replacing the signs with total randomness. Or photo copy the one you don't like and cover the whole door with the same sign. :glare:

I'm the one using elbows to turn off faucets and paper towels to open doors.

I do that too! I won't touch anything in a public restroom with my bare hands after I've washed them.

It looks like someone wanted to make a cute sign to get people's attention, but they failed. Help them out, make a cute attention getting sign.

:iagree::iagree:

Something like this?? I have to confess, if I saw this in the bathroom I think I would die laughing. :lol::lol::lol:

crowe.png

LOL I can't edit the text you put under your picture but maybe it could just say "Hey, where're ya going? Did you wash your hands?! Don't go without washing your hands!" It looks like he's calling after someone and has his hand out in a gesture of "hey you" and everything haha.

A sign is screaming at you? I'm sure that the sign isn't even addressed to you as I'm sure you would wash your hands. I would be applauding that my employers were trying to keep the workplace a healthy place for me.

:iagree:I would be doing a major fist pump in solidarity with the sign poster for putting in words what I would be thinking.

No, I don't think it is illegal. I don't think it is even illegal for a boss to yell at employees (and I don't read this sign as yelling, but firm emphasis.) Maybe bad form, but certainly not illegal. It doesn't come near the definition of hate speech.

If I washed my hands, I would know that the sign wasn't directed at me, but at the Cretans who ignore the basic hygiene lessons they should have learned while potty training. (Okay, maybe I stepped over the line calling them Cretans, but still ...)

LOL I can't edit the text you put under your picture but maybe it could just say "Hey, where're ya going? Did you wash your hands?! Don't go without washing your hands!" It looks like he's calling after someone and has his hand out in a gesture of "hey you" and everything haha.

Here ya go! :p hehehe That SHOULD be a bathroom sign! :p

crowe2.png

There are no laws legislating politeness. Thank goodness.

A written sign is not yelling (despite what netiquette tells us about caps and exclamation points).

I find the wording of the sign strong and firm, but I'd be disturbed thinking that it was necessary, not disturbed by the sign.

Indeed, it is gross and disgusting to be around anyone who doesn't wash hands after using the bathroom.

I think that the fact that this disturbs you so much is a "sign" of some other unhappiness personally, or more likely at work, as it seems disproportionate to the sign itself, especially since you say it is not applicable to you in particular. I'd suggest you reflect on how you feel about this job and the people you work with. Maybe it is time for a change for you?

All that said, if you are generally happy with your job, and this sign is the only real complaint you have, then I would suggest you ask for a sit down meeting with your boss. Tell them the sign upsets you. Tell them how stressed it makes you. Tell them that you always have, and still do, wash your hands, but that for some reason this sign feels like a reprimand and makes you unhappy. Tell them you love your job, but that it is hard to see that sign everyday. Bring with you a couple variations on the sign that you have ready to go -- ones that make the message clear but are more polite in your opinion. If they are smart bosses and they value your continued employment, they will be open to your suggestions, especially if you have the signs ready to hang!

Yes, this is the way grown-ups do it. Tearing down signs and writing anonymous notes is unprofessional in most office environments. If you have a complaint, go to your boss and he/she should be willing to hear you out, even when there isn't a law to back you up.

Here ya go! :p hehehe That SHOULD be a bathroom sign! :p

crowe2.png

LOL....Love it! :001_wub:

The OP needs to print that and replace the sign at work with this one first thing Monday morning.

And if somebody tears that down, well, they're just crazy. Or cranky. Or have no sense of humor. Or don't like hot guys in kilts. :lol:

P.S. Thanks a lot, whoever posted the link to passiveaggresivenotes.com...I can't stop reading it. LOL.

You know what I hate? I hate when I use the handicapped stall with the changing table for my children, and then wash everyone's hands in the sink inside that stall. People don't realize they have sinks too, and give me dirty looks until I loudly tell my children how they need to not touch anything on our way out since we already washed our hands.

On the inside I'd be annoyed at the sign too.

Maybe it's a regional thing? I've never in my life seen a handicapped stall that had a sink in it. :001_huh:

I was trying to be polite before. I halfway thought it was a joke. Now I see that the OP is completely serious. :001_huh:

There's no profanity. No screaming. No personal accusations.

What's next? Don't like the expression on someone's face? Well, there should be a law against looking at someone like that! :confused:

As a business owner, if I were that employer I'd be seriously considering if the OP was worth keeping on. Life's too short to deal with people who are so easily offended, and I certainly wouldn't continue to employ someone who displayed that unfortunate tendency unless I could find absolutely no one else who was qualified to do the job.

:iagree: And I thought all caps was yelling. Now if someone puts lots of !!!! I'm supposed to take that as yelling too?

Eh, life's too short to waste calories on signs. Besides, I love funny signs. At least in OP's original post, everything was spelled correctly. :lol:

LOL....Love it! :001_wub:

The OP needs to print that and replace the sign at work with this one first thing Monday morning.

And if somebody tears that down, well, they're just crazy. Or cranky. Or have no sense of humor. Or don't like hot guys in kilts.

:lol::lol: I agree. And not because I"m the one who made it, but that picture with that text is a really funny way to grab someone's attention to remind them to wash their hands. I don't get the whole not washing your hands thing anyway. I don't understand why people don't want to wash their hands. :confused::confused: I don't understand littering either. :confused::confused::confused: