Menu

Do your little girls (6-7 years old) knit?

:confused:

DD insists she would like Santa to give her a knitting kit. I bought her needles and yarn, but no book yet. I'm sure our library has a few books on knitting for kids. I've never knitted, but I'm sure I can learn along with her :001_huh:.

Is she in for a severe disappointment? This girl does not write more than 3 sentences per day and her letters/numbers are huge, so I'm just not seeing her knit. And, that's really all she wants for Christmas, other than an archery set.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Little girls throughout history have knitted all kinds of items for their family's use. I remember reading a "Childhood of Famous Americans" book about someone (Dolly Madison, maybe?) who participated in knitting parties and contests when she was little. So of course it can be done, and it sounds as though your daughter is highly motivated.

I'd have her use medium to largish needles and just start with a scarf. Scarves are just big rectangles -- you can hardly mess them up. Anything that requires a pattern should wait until your daughter is more proficient.

My dd (who is now 12) learned to knit at age 7. She had *terrible* handwriting. She still doesn't have the neatest writing but she is INCREDIBLE at knitting... she has knitted about 20 gifts for Christmas from a stuffed teddy bear to scarves, hats, slippers, etc. She amazes me.

I don't knit, but my mom does, and she taught her. Dd says (I just asked her) that it would be hard at 7 to learn from a book. She will need a real person to sit and teach her the basics (casting on/off, increasing/decreasing, following a pattern, etc). A lot of knitting stores have beginning classes and love it when kids come.

Books are good for simple patterns and to remember how to do things, but dd didn't really consult them much til recently.

I'd go for it, and find out what your resources are in terms of knitting friends/family, shops with classes, etc.

Mine taught herself to knit when she was 10. Actually, she attended a one-day class where the girls dyed some wool and did a bit of knitting...that started her off, but she taught herself everything after that. Within six months she was making dishcloths with fancy picture patterns in them, as well as vests. She taught herself to crochet soon afterwards. She makes knitted and crocheted animals all the time, and she does felting also.

Granted, she was a little older than six or seven, but not too much older. She was just very, very motivated.

Ariel does, a bit. My mom's a big fan of knitting, and it's easier to learn to knit than crochet, in my mother's opinion. I was a terrible knitter and gave up about 1/4 of the way through my first scarf. Definitely go with larger needles and either find someone to teach her (ideal) or watch some videos on how to do it (ok).

Thanks for the positive responses!

When you all say large needles, what does that mean? 9 inch and size 10mm? I think that's what I got her, but I can place an order on amazon.com today for something else!

Edited by crazyforlatin
Forgot what size needle I ordered but now those measurements are correct. Ugh.

I taught my son when he was 4. He still cannot write that well.

I taught him using worsted weight yarn, and bamboo size US 8 needles. I have only taught him to knit (not casting on and not purling). I taught him in several micro-lessons (45 seconds or so, because that was how long he was interested). He picked it up after a few of these, and hasn't really continued his interest. But he could learn!

I definitely think your daughter can especially considering her interest! I think the needle size you have is great. What are they made of? Metal needles can be difficult for beginners.

My DD7 knits. She learned maybe a year ago? I still have to teach her how to purl, though :tongue_smilie:

If you're concerned about whether she'll be able to or not, how about adding a knitting loom? They're super-easy to use. But I think learning along with Mom is a special present, too.

I better get her this so that she can start on Christmas Day. Thank you.

Have you thought about the Knifty Knitter? They come in circles and rectangles, and can be used to make almost anything....and waaaaay easier to use than actual needles.

I didn't know about these until today and will definitely order one so that next week I won't have to deal with her frustration. She thinks the moment she has needles and yarn that a hat will appear from her "knowledge" of knitting :glare:.

I taught my son when he was 4. He still cannot write that well.

I taught him using worsted weight yarn, and bamboo size US 8 needles. I have only taught him to knit (not casting on and not purling). I taught him in several micro-lessons (45 seconds or so, because that was how long he was interested). He picked it up after a few of these, and hasn't really continued his interest. But he could learn!

I definitely think your daughter can especially considering her interest! I think the needle size you have is great. What are they made of? Metal needles can be difficult for beginners.

I just checked my order and I got her 9 inch, size 10, bamboo needles. Is this considered large? I'm feeling lost despite doing what I thought was sufficient research.

Get her big wooden needles and a heavy weight yarn. Then use the free videos on Youtube to learn to knit. Books are almost irrelevant at this point except for patterns and inspiration. Any technique is so much more easily learned by watching a video.

I can do that. We're both more visual, so reading a book on knitting may not get us anywhere.

Ariel does, a bit. My mom's a big fan of knitting, and it's easier to learn to knit than crochet, in my mother's opinion. I was a terrible knitter and gave up about 1/4 of the way through my first scarf. Definitely go with larger needles and either find someone to teach her (ideal) or watch some videos on how to do it (ok).

I was just going to suggest crocheting! :001_smile: I am one of those that could never learn how to knit! I just can't maneuver two hands with two needles...crochet is soo much easier and quicker to make something. My 6 year old started crocheting and could not stop making single crochet chains (she'd make necklaces)...I found one the other day that was about 12 feet long! :) She can now do about 5 stitches and will do quite a bit for 3 months then quit for a year, then pick it up again. Youtube is your friend, lots and lots of instructional videos for both knitting and crocheting :)

Yes. All I knew how to do was kint, so that's what they learned. Now they are learning crochet. Only dd12 seems to be interested, though. Everyone always says crocheting is easier, but I disagree. Knitting makes so much more sense to me. You knit or purl. That's it. Crochet is single crochet, double crochet, half-double crochet, etc. Crochet is faster, but not easier, imo.

I just checked my order and I got her 9 inch, size 10, bamboo needles. Is this considered large? I'm feeling lost despite doing what I thought was sufficient research.

Those are nice and big. I would also get a worsted weight or even a bulky weight yarn. Also, maybe a synthetic type fiber to begin with, they tend to be a bit easier to manipulate (more elasticity and forgiving) than natural fibers. I second the motion of using YouTube vids, they are a great resource.

I've been knitting for twenty plus years. I've tried to teach my DD10 several times over the years at her inquiry. At 5 her hands were way to small, at 7 she couldn't handle two needles and the yarn at the same time. I would say that her coordination now would be perfect, but she's more into her horse. :glare:

I'd have her use medium to largish needles and just start with a scarf. Scarves are just big rectangles -- you can hardly mess them up. Anything that requires a pattern should wait until your daughter is more proficient.

I'd start with squares. They are smaller, more likely to be finished and it doesn't really matter if they end up rectangular :tongue_smilie:

The reason I didn't continue learning as a child was I was taught, given medium to small needles and told to go away and knit a scarf. I knit about ten cm x 60 ish stitches, which had holes and felt like it had taken my whole life already. If you use larger needles and thinner yarn than an adult would use with those needles, the holes don't stick out like a sore thumb. (I have done this as I taught myself to knit this year. :) )

Rosie

Those are nice and big. I would also get a worsted weight or even a bulky weight yarn. Also, maybe a synthetic type fiber to begin with, they tend to be a bit easier to manipulate (more elasticity and forgiving) than natural fibers. I second the motion of using YouTube vids, they are a great resource.

I've been knitting for twenty plus years. I've tried to teach my DD10 several times over the years at her inquiry. At 5 her hands were way to small, at 7 she couldn't handle two needles and the yarn at the same time. I would say that her coordination now would be perfect, but she's more into her horse. :glare:

Thank you for confirming my purchase. I just got the needles and they look like chopsticks, but if those are considered large, then that's one thing out of the way.

Yeah, I'm hoping the interest is still there by this Sunday :lol:

My mother taught dd to knit when she was 5 1/2 or 6. I bought some really cute wooden needles for her to use, but my mom said the round needles (straight needles attached by a wire) were easier for kids. You can knit straight things like scarves on them too.

The biggest problem is that I don't know how to knit well, so I can't fix her problems, especially if they are discovered several rows later. I learned along with dd, but wasn't good enough to go back and fix errors. In our last town, the librarian was willing to fix dd's knitting when we went in.

My biggest piece of advice would be to find a friend or neighbor who can help you both if there is a problem.

My aunt was teaching a whole class of 8 year olds to knit a few years ago, so I don't think 6-7 is unreasonable for a motivated child.

The needles you got sound fine. I'd get bulky-type yarn, but a fairly smooth one (not furry or kinky or "homespun" or whatnot, those are fun, but make it harder to see what you're doing) in a couple of fun colors. And I'd recommend a potholder (ie a square) for a first project. It will knit up super fast, and it doesnt' really matter what the shape is in the end. I second the youtube recommendation, that's the best way ever to learn knitting, IMO.

For the yarn, I'd use something like this:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat500016&PRODID=zprd_02108959a

My DD is 5 and doesn't knit but she asked for a sewing machine for this Christmas and I got her one :D

When we were at the craft store yesterday she picked up the yarn and needles and asked what they were for so I can see that being on the birthday wishlist.

I think around 5 is a good time for teaching if they are interested. My DD has terrible handwriting and is left-handed but she is very capable craft wise.

A few years ago, my hubby's Aunt taught me the knit stitch (on vacation out of state). When I got home, I didn't have anyone to ask about my knitting questions or help me progress with other stitches. I found a local yarn shop with a free knitting get-together each week. Those ladies have been more than happy to share their knowledge!

Another resource I have used is this video series: Learn to Knit with Tracie Wunderlich. Each video takes you through a specific project... if I remember correctly the first lesson is a dishcloth. It is helpful that you can rewind and pause the video until you master the technique. I'm sure there are other similar videos available. This is what I found at my local library.

My grandmother taught me to crochet as a little girl. I do agree with other posters that crocheting seems to be easier. However, I now prefer knitting... and speaking of knitting... I need to go finish up a Christmas gift!

I have all boys, but I think my 8-year old could handle knitting. My 6-year old--no way would I even attempt to teach him! So, I guess it really depends on the child.

I think it is awesome that your dd wants to knit!

I taught my then 5yo (now 7yo) to knit and she will knit a row or two of a dishcloth and be done for several days. I think motivation is the key to learning and it sounds like your dd is very motivated.

You've gotten some great advice and I just wanted to add that working with a blend of fibers (wool and acrylic for example) will be much easier than straight cotton or even straight acrylic. Wool has a nice "give" to it that is missing in cotton or straight acrylic, imo. Either way, have her try a few different . types of yarn to see what she likes best. And I agree with another poster who suggested she make a dishcloth instead of a scarf. Knitting a scarf goes on and on and on and on.... :)

Have fun!!

This is the book I bought for dd when she learned. I've been knitting for years but she's the type to like diagrams and books, so I looked at MANY knitting books for kids and decided on this one. The pictures and diagrams are great, and the projects are simple yet neat things kids would actually want.

http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Knit-Simple-Steps-Projects/dp/1402740573

Hope that helps!

astrid

My dd started learning to knit when she was about 5. Until she was 8, she'd always get frustrated and go back to the mushroom or loom. she didn't really take off with the knitting until she was 10 or so, but she did enjoy the early attempts, even if it was just endless strings on the mushroom. My current 6 year old dd doesn't have the patience yet -- she has tried, but loses interest after 3-4 rows on the mushroom (4 pegs).

Waldorf schools do finger knitting from age 4 or 5 and knitting with needles at 7. I want to learn to knit, but I have not been able to learn from a book or youtube. I need to find a class at Michael's or something for both me and my girls.

I met a little girl from a Waldorf school and the kids there do knit at a young age.

I just found a shop where they teach kids 8 and up :glare:.

My grandma told us that she used to knit lace when she was 5, and it had to be "perfect" or her mom would punish her. So I guess it's possible!

I never learned to knit, but my SIL does it at all our family gatherings. My kids have been begging her to teach them for years. She told them she will teach them when they are 6. I think she taught her son around that age.

I'm going to start teaching my 7 yr old dd I'm the new year, she's been begging me to show her how. I'm by no means proficient br I can knit and purl easily, but have only managed scarves and blankets, if I had more time I'd reach myself bigger projects like sweaters, etc. My mil tried to teach me, but I literally had to watch up close many times over before I got it! So I watched videojug.com knitting clips and finally figured it out, I could replay a certain part over and over in privacy until I figured it out, without being embarrassed. ;)

I better get her this so that she can start on Christmas Day. Thank you.

Those circular knitting looms are fabulous! Super easy and make really nice hats. My girls (age 6 and 8) have made lots of hats for their little cousins and I've even enjoyed making a hat or two on the loom even though I can knit. I'm sure that would be a huge hit. You do need thick yarn for them.

This is the book I bought for dd when she learned. I've been knitting for years but she's the type to like diagrams and books, so I looked at MANY knitting books for kids and decided on this one. The pictures and diagrams are great, and the projects are simple yet neat things kids would actually want.

http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Knit-Simple-Steps-Projects/dp/1402740573

Hope that helps!

astrid

This looks like a really good book, thanks for the idea! I've been wanting something to take Rebecca a step further.

My *boy* learned to crochet at age 8. ;)

I think my older ds was about 8 when he learned to crochet. He tried knitting a couple years later but got too frustrated because he knits too tightly. Encouraging him to relax didn't help so he gave up. ;) My younger son had no interest in either craft. Dd showed an initial interest, but the couple of times I tried to show her how she lost interest after about 2 minutes, so she doesn't knit or crochet either. Oh, and my older ds also gave up on crochet because he just lost interest.