Menu

I'm so mad! A friend knowingly exposed my kids to a stomach virus

Every week after church, a bunch of people go out to eat with each other. Our kids often scheme for playdates afterwards, and it's not unusual for me to go home with extra kids or missing kids. Yesterday, both my youngest ended up going home with friends. Those 2 families then met up later to deliver Angel Tree gifts, then hung out some more, fed everyone dinner and then one of the moms brought my kids home. I'm blessed, we're a really tight knit group.

As I'm tucking kids in last night, I find out that one of the little girls threw up after dinner. That's a bummer, but what can you do. Then my youngest says to me, "Yeah Marissa said that she didn't feel good this morning, but her parents made her come to church anyways. And she said she threw up yesterday." WHAT?!! I later found out that she had been vomiting since Friday. Why would you bring that child to church? And WHY would you go out to lunch, and offer to take my child for the day, and hang out with another family that evening (who happened to have my son, so both kids were exposed), and never even mention that your child has been vomiting for 3 days?! The other thing that just blows me away is that it seems so out of character for this family.

So get this, the mom in this family works a couple of days a week and she was planning on having our friend, Barb, watch her kids today. Barb's annual cookie decorating party for the kids was going to be at her house today. I had to call Barb and let her know that we wouldn't be attending, because of the exposure risk. Barb, who did know about the vomiting yesterday (because it happened at her house), but apparently didn't think through the full implications of the whole plan, then decided to call Marissa's mom and suggest that she keep her kids home. In the end, Barb rescheduled the party to later this week, with hope that Marissa will be better (and the rest of us will not of have started with it).

So, I'm just sitting here praying that we don't get it, but I'm not that hopeful. Seven year old girls are quite touch-feely with their friends, and my dd is almost always the first kid to start a stomach bug in our house. There are 6 of us, and nothing makes it through this house quickly. If it starts, it may blow our surprise Disney trip plans for next week, not to mention Christmas, not to mention that dh is a pastor and has 4 services to lead next weekend.

Every week after church, a bunch of people go out to eat with each other. Our kids often scheme for playdates afterwards, and it's not unusual for me to go home with extra kids or missing kids. Yesterday, both my youngest ended up going home with friends. Those 2 families then met up later to deliver Angel Tree gifts, then hung out some more, fed everyone dinner and then one of the moms brought my kids home. I'm blessed, we're a really tight knit group.

As I'm tucking kids in last night, I find out that one of the little girls threw up after dinner. That's a bummer, but what can you do. Then my youngest says to me, "Yeah Marissa said that she didn't feel good this morning, but her parents made her come to church anyways. And she said she threw up yesterday." WHAT?!! I later found out that she had been vomiting since Friday. Why would you bring that child to church? And WHY would you go out to lunch, and offer to take my child for the day, and hang out with another family that evening (who happened to have my son, so both kids were exposed), and never even mention that your child has been vomiting for 3 days?! The other thing that just blows me away is that it seems so out of character for this family.

So get this, the mom in this family works a couple of days a week and she was planning on having our friend, Barb, watch her kids today. Barb's annual cookie decorating party for the kids was going to be at her house today. I had to call Barb and let her know that we wouldn't be attending, because of the exposure risk. Barb, who did know about the vomiting yesterday (because it happened at her house), but apparently didn't think through the full implications of the whole plan, then decided to call Marissa's mom and suggest that she keep her kids home. In the end, Barb rescheduled the party to later this week, with hope that Marissa will be better (and the rest of us will not of have started with it).

So, I'm just sitting here praying that we don't get it, but I'm not that hopeful. Seven year old girls are quite touch-feely with their friends, and my dd is almost always the first kid to start a stomach bug in our house. There are 6 of us, and nothing makes it through this house quickly. If it starts, it may blow our surprise Disney trip plans for next week, not to mention Christmas, not to mention that dh is a pastor and has 4 services to lead next weekend.

I would say something to your friend. This to me is just so inconsiderate and well...mean. :glare:

I would say something to your friend. This to me is just so inconsiderate and well...mean. :glare:

:iagree:

Is there any chance that the little girl had a bad reaction to something she ate, rather than a virus? That's the only reason I can think of that would make me not want to throttle the other mother.

I think some people are really clueless about the risk to others. I'll hazard a guess that this woman had already dealt with a sick child for 2 days and didn't want to miss out on her normal Sunday socializing time and figured it would all be okay. Maybe the little girl hadn't vomited since early Saturday or something. People also believe that if they give Tylenol to kids to reduce fever, that the sickness is held at bay and can't be passed to other people.

I really hope you don't get it. :(

I would be livid. I know so many parents who send their kids to school and other places after barely being 24 hrs puke free. I am so annoyed by this. My house is on Christmas lockdown. We arent going anywhere this whole week until we leave for the 5 hour trip to my parents house on Friday. My dd has a few gifts to pass out to friends and I am being mean and telling everyone we will get together after we get back.

:grouphug: That stinks, and I hope you all don't get it...

Since you're a close group, find a way to discuss this and come up with an agreeable plan for next time.

Everyone who knows me gets that I don't want your contagious flu, virus, rash, fevers, vomiting etc, and I'll be a gem and make sure you don't get ours.

Three days of vomiting...that poor kid! And that mom knew her kid was sick and contagious. What a horrible Christmas gift to pass along.

What is wrong with people?! Yes, I know everyone is busy right now, but that just means you should try even harder to keep your sick kid home. No one wants that crap.

Sorry your kids got exposed. Hopefully you guys will remain healthy and avoid the crud.

Is there any chance that the little girl had a bad reaction to something she ate, rather than a virus? That's the only reason I can think of that would make me not want to throttle the other mother.

Well, I guess when she started with it on Friday, that's what they were thinking. But after 3 days of it, I think you have to shift over to virus. It's kind of like the little hope that I have at the beginning of a cold that it's just allergies. At some point, you just have to acknowledge that it's the real deal.

I just don't know what there is to say at this point. I will probably start all playdate plans from now on by asking how she's been feeling.

I'd be really mad if my kids got it and I would have to talk with the other mom so that I could reconcile. I think it was an incredibly selfish, uncaring thing to do especially right before you go on vacation. However, sometimes it is that people react differently to illness. We have friends that just take illness very lightly themselves,just roll with the punches, it's part of life, so it's no big deal to them. So it really was "Do to others as you would have them do to you." They wouldn't mind a child playing with a sick child. I don't mind colds, but puking is another story. Ugh. However, over the years when our kids have had colds, or been exposed to something like a tummy bug (older brother threw up two days ago, nobody else has so far), I always tell her ahead of time, "so that you can decide whether you want to cope with that right now or not." After a while, this was reciprocated.

I'd be angry too.

She should've at least done a full disclosure so you could decide. It's always terrible to be exposing the neighbors and friends to this, but it's worse this time of year, when people are traveling and have special activities planned.

Could you talk to her in a way that seems to blame you? Maybe something like, "Cruella, my kids had a great time at your house, but when I learned that Angel was puking the last few days, I got really uncomfortable. I know a lot of people are not bothered by throw up, but I am, and my little girl tends to get hit so hard with stomach bugs... If I had known that she had been sick, I probably would have kept my kids home and reschedule for later..."

Well, I guess when she started with it on Friday, that's what they were thinking. But after 3 days of it, I think you have to shift over to virus. It's kind of like the little hope that I have at the beginning of a cold that it's just allergies. At some point, you just have to acknowledge that it's the real deal.

I just don't know what there is to say at this point. I will probably start all playdate plans from now on by asking how she's been feeling.

I know you're right. I was just hoping to find some sort of reasonable excuse as to why she would have done such a stupid thing.

She was also completely inconsiderate to her own dd. Who wants to be dragged out of the house when you've been throwing up??? I would think the mom would have gone out of her way to take extra-good care of her dd, but apparently that thought didn't occur to her. :glare:

Yuck. Just Yuck. My youngest daughter has a tendency to get car sick, but I'm still pretty cautious about assigning blame to something I know is pretty normal for her (as in, keeping an eye on her for at least 6 hrs, testing food/drink, etc.) before assuming it was because we were in the car.

Now, if any of my others throw up... we *all* stay home. Because if one has it, it is extremely likely that another will start at any time. They can be difficult to get rid of. Get some bleach solution ready... buckets by the beds (we have larger ziplock containers), clear fluids... and get some rest. Those things are nasty.

I'm the oddball here, but...

I'd forget about it. Yeah, it's not super-considerate, and I would *never* take any of my kids out when they were sick. At the same time, do you take your kid to the grocery? If so, then they've been exposed to the flu. It's a sad fact that germs are everywhere. I guess I'd have a bit of a philosophical attitude about it and just carry on. :grouphug:

I'd forget about it. Yeah, it's not super-considerate, and I would *never* take any of my kids out when they were sick. At the same time, do you take your kid to the grocery? If so, then they've been exposed to the flu. It's a sad fact that germs are everywhere. I guess I'd have a bit of a philosophical attitude about it and just carry on. :grouphug:

Yeah, I have a similar attitude. It's really inconsiderate, but I just let it go. They're not *purposefully* engaging in germ warfare... :D And you never know how it goes down in families - sometimes when I have a sick kid, they do seem better for a long time, maybe a full day, and want to go out, then arrive and are suddenly groaning or in a coughing fit or whatever again and I immediately feel really ashamed, but by then, it's sort of too late.

On the bright side, there's something involving throwing up going around here that seems really selective (only one kid in several families I know managed to get it) so maybe it's that and the rest of you will be fine.

I would be so upset! I hope your plans won't be ruined!

Start now, make sure the exposed individuals are vigilant about not getting into anyone's face and don't let anyone eat or drink after them. Everyone should be extra vigilint about the handwashing this week. Arm yourself with lysol. Have some jello made with gingerale on standbye. My fingers are crossed for you. Hopefully if it happens you can isolate and contain. Good luck. :001_smile:

I'd be really mad if my kids got it and I would have to talk with the other mom so that I could reconcile. I think it was an incredibly selfish, uncaring thing to do especially right before you go on vacation. However, sometimes it is that people react differently to illness. We have friends that just take illness very lightly themselves,just roll with the punches, it's part of life, so it's no big deal to them. So it really was "Do to others as you would have them do to you." They wouldn't mind a child playing with a sick child. I don't mind colds, but puking is another story. Ugh. However, over the years when our kids have had colds, or been exposed to something like a tummy bug (older brother threw up two days ago, nobody else has so far), I always tell her ahead of time, "so that you can decide whether you want to cope with that right now or not." After a while, this was reciprocated.

I have a friend like this too. Her kids are pretty much always sick. :tongue_smilie: She's very flippant about illnesses and doesn't mind if her kids are exposed. She's so sweet because she'll even offer to babysit a puking child if need be. :)

The flip side of that is she doesn't always realize that sick kids can bother other people. ;) She's not thoughtless or selfish, she just genuinely doesn't "get" it. Especially stomach viruses. I've lost count of how many times she's invited me over to their house only to find out (usually before I head over, thankfully) that little Johnnie was puking all night. :confused:

Really and truly is the whole realm of problems you could be facing - this is nothing but a blip on the screen. Getting mad about it doesn't help or serve any purpose except waste your time and energy. I also fully agree that during cold and flu season - unless you are living in a bubble - you are getting exposure to germs no matter what. I have also noticed that my nieces and nephews get sick far more often than my kids because their step mom is quite the germaphobe. I say hope for the best, prepare for the worst and move on. Have a wonderful Christmas and be super thankful if this is the worst of your problems.

I have a friend like this too. Her kids are pretty much always sick. :tongue_smilie: She's very flippant about illnesses and doesn't mind if her kids are exposed. She's so sweet because she'll even offer to babysit a puking child if need be. :)

The flip side of that is she doesn't always realize that sick kids can bother other people. ;) She's not thoughtless or selfish, she just genuinely doesn't "get" it. Especially stomach viruses. I've lost count of how many times she's invited me over to their house only to find out (usually before I head over, thankfully) that little Johnnie was puking all night. :confused:

Yes, some people don't get it, probably because their kids aren't a huge problem when they are sick. My ds is great; he never complains, is still in a good mood and overall, not a problem. My dd, however....:eek: Total drama queen, at any ache or pain. Constantly complains, basically a total nightmare. So I am always on the look out for any sick kids, because it isn't pleasant for any of us when she is sick.

I think a friend that willingly puts their friends and their friends kids at risk of getting sick is rude. I bet the friend even knew of their Disney plans. That is not a thoughtful friend. Yes we all take the risk of getting sick when we go out in public. BUT I would hope a friend would be a little more considerate.

I think there are people out there (this friend) that are so consumed with being social that they just don't care. I can think of 2 people in my life that are like this. Their need to socialize and be in on everything is far more important to them than staying home with their sick kids. It's inconsiderate to their children and it's inconsiderate to the people they are exposing.

Rude.

I realize that exposure to viruses is inevitable when you live in society, but I'm surprised to hear people equate deliberate, prolonged, unnecessary exposure to general background germ conditions.

Yes, germs are everywhere. Yes, people go grocery shopping when they don't realize that they're shedding a virus and about to get sick. Yes, sometimes it's necessary to take an obviously sick child out in public. (Ask me about my five-hour train trip with a toddler who had stomach flu.)

But it's never necessary to take a vomiting child to church, and it's certainly never necessary to arrange long playdates with other children!

I realize that exposure to viruses is inevitable when you live in society, but I'm surprised to hear people equate deliberate, prolonged, unnecessary exposure to general background germ conditions.

Yes, germs are everywhere. Yes, people go grocery shopping when they don't realize that they're shedding a virus and about to get sick. Yes, sometimes it's necessary to take an obviously sick child out in public. (Ask me about my five-hour train trip with a toddler who had stomach flu.)

But it's never necessary to take a vomiting child to church, and it's certainly never necessary to arrange long playdates with other children!

Thank you!

People, I'm not sitting at home stewing. It's not ruining my week. I don't think it's the worse thing ever. It's not going to ruin my friendship. Seriously, I know tone doesn't transfer, but I'm not having a meltdown over here. It's over and done with, I get that. I STILL think it was an unnecessarily prolonged and close exposure, that I wouldn't have chosen for myself or anyone else had I been on the other end.

But as long as somebody brought up keeping things in proper perspective, you should know that ds11 has severe cerebral palsy. Stomach viruses have previously landed him in the hospital. We don't live in a bubble by any means (I'm pretty laxed with colds), but I do think I am allowed to be annoyed right now.

JAWM! :tongue_smilie:

This happened to us last year. We attended a Christmas Eve party at a friend's house, had a blast, and came home. Late that night, my youngest threw up. We thought it might be from all the sweet stuff she had at the party. Nope. She spent the next 3 days unable to even keep breastmilk down, even in tiny amounts. She wound up in the ER, lethargic and seriously dehydrated. All the rest of us got sick over the next week, and dh missed work for 2 days because of it.

Imagine my shock when that friend called me up and casually asked how we'd been. When I told her about the ER, and how dd had nearly needed to be admitted to the hospital, she said, "Oh, I figured y'all probably had gotten sick. Every single person at the party got sick." Turns out, their ds had been vomiting for TWO ENTIRE DAYS, but they didn't want to cancel their party, so they just put him to bed early and never mentioned it to anyone. Even those of us whose kids were playing with his toys!!

Imagine my shock when that friend called me up and casually asked how we'd been. When I told her about the ER, and how dd had nearly needed to be admitted to the hospital, she said, "Oh, I figured y'all probably had gotten sick. Every single person at the party got sick." Turns out, their ds had been vomiting for TWO ENTIRE DAYS, but they didn't want to cancel their party, so they just put him to bed early and never mentioned it to anyone. Even those of us whose kids were playing with his toys!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I would have been absolutely livid. And she definitely would have known exactly what I was thinking.

What a horrible thing to have done!!!!!!!!!

Also, what kind of rotten mother and father can put their sick, vomiting child to bed and then have fun and enjoy a party for the rest of the evening? What if the poor child was terribly ill upstairs? Wouldn't the party noise keep him from resting? I can't understand parents like that.

I ALWAYS inform people if my kids have had any symptoms of illness. Then I let them decided if they want to risk it or not.

This board doesn't have smilies strong enough for your story. That's appalling. What did you SAY to her? Did you remain friends?

This board doesn't have smilies strong enough for your story. That's appalling. What did you SAY to her? Did you remain friends?

I was speechless at first, and then angry. She told me this over the phone, so I sputtered something about how unfair that was to my little child, and she cut the conversation short. We aren't friends any longer. This incident was just the first of a long series of awful events. :(

we are Christmas Lockdown too....we have a 2 week trip ahead of us starting on the Monday after Christmas...the only place we are going now is church....going there....and coming straight home....no lingering. I HATE the stomach flu....especially around Christmas time....hoping your dd is the only one who gets it and she gets over it quickly.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I am praying she is the ONLY one in your family to suffer with it.

Remember that alcohol hand gel kills lots of germs BUT not stomach flu germs. So be sure to use soap and water. Remember that many household cleaners kill lots of germs BUT not the stomach flu. Things you can use to disinfect the house include freshly opened and freshly mixed bleach, Lysol III spray, and cleaners like Virkon and VitalOxide. You can also use a UV wand on things that are hard to clean with those chemicals.

Some things that might keep the others from getting it:

1) Put away the hand towel in the bathroom and use paper towels.

2) Use the dishwasher (not the sink) to wash dishes. Better yet, use disposable things. When one of my kids is throwing up, when that child is ready for a little food, I serve it on a "fun" paper plate and drinks come either in paper cups or in single-serve things like little Gatorades or Capri Suns or juice boxes.

3) Keep the child isolated in his or her room. We let the sick child use a small video player and we put a little table in the bedroom for putting food trays on. Similarly, we assign one bathroom to that child and ask the other kids to try to use another restroom for a few days.

4) That sick child is NOT allowed to touch other people's food for about 3 or 4 days after feeling better. So, if it is her turn to make lunch I make it for her.

I'm sorry she is sick.

Hopefully it will run through the family over the next few days and be done before Christmas.

Nothing worse than being sick on Christmas. We had the swine flu and became symptomatic on Christmas day 2 years ago. That was a most miserable holiday.

I am SO sorry. I would be livid at my friend. I am the one one Christmas lockdown and not letting my kids out of the house until we leave for Christmas and a situation like yours is why I thought to do it.

I have a friend who took her kid to church less than 24 hours after her kid stopped puking (3 days of violent stomach flu so bad she passed out) and she had NO thoughts about passing this onto to another poor child. My aunt knowingly exposed 30+ people to the stomach flu 2 Thanksgivings ago...we drove 300 miles and spent $100 in gas to throw up for 9 DAYS.

I think people who dont worry about this haven't had a kid in the ER because she threw up over 100 times for 9 days and had to get IV fluids. My kids never throw up for just 24 hours....its days and days and it takes a hard toll on them.

I wish people would get a clue and think about others. It makes me so mad and I would be mad and say something to my friend.

This happened to us last year. We attended a Christmas Eve party at a friend's house, had a blast, and came home. Late that night, my youngest threw up. We thought it might be from all the sweet stuff she had at the party. Nope. She spent the next 3 days unable to even keep breastmilk down, even in tiny amounts. She wound up in the ER, lethargic and seriously dehydrated. All the rest of us got sick over the next week, and dh missed work for 2 days because of it.

Unbelievable!

I am SO sorry. I would be livid at my friend. I am the one one Christmas lockdown and not letting my kids out of the house until we leave for Christmas and a situation like yours is why I thought to do it.

I have a friend who took her kid to church less than 24 hours after her kid stopped puking (3 days of violent stomach flu so bad she passed out) and she had NO thoughts about passing this onto to another poor child. My aunt knowingly exposed 30+ people to the stomach flu 2 Thanksgivings ago...we drove 300 miles and spent $100 in gas to throw up for 9 DAYS.

I think people who dont worry about this haven't had a kid in the ER because she threw up over 100 times for 9 days and had to get IV fluids. My kids never throw up for just 24 hours....its days and days and it takes a hard toll on them.

I wish people would get a clue and think about others. It makes me so mad and I would be mad and say something to my friend.

:iagree:I don't let the girl across the street come and play anymore because her mom sends her over (and to school!) whether she's sick or not--puking, coughing, whatever... The last straw was the time she came and played the entire day, in the house with all my kids. The next day when she came to play again, she had this terrible, wet, junky cough. I told her she couldn't play because she was sick. She said she had been sick for a week but just didn't take her cough medicine that day. Are you kidding me?!?! :mad: We all got sick. So, so sick! I actually had to go to the doctor and be evaluated for a hernia because of all the coughing. I had a CAT scan for heaven's sake! I guess all that mattered to her mom was having some quiet time while her daughter went to play elsewhere. I'm still mad about it. Can you tell? :glare: