Menu

I'm so mad! A friend knowingly exposed my kids to a stomach virus

:grouphug:

:tongue_smilie:I think we had those neighbors...Were they the D family who also lived on Pep-to Bismol thinking a week or more of D was just something you do?

:iagree:I don't let the girl across the street come and play anymore because her mom sends her over (and to school!) whether she's sick or not--puking, coughing, whatever... The last straw was the time she came and played the entire day, in the house with all my kids. The next day when she came to play again, she had this terrible, wet, junky cough. I told her she couldn't play because she was sick. She said she had been sick for a week but just didn't take her cough medicine that day. Are you kidding me?!?! :mad: We all got sick. So, so sick! I actually had to go to the doctor and be evaluated for a hernia because of all the coughing. I had a CAT scan for heaven's sake! I guess all that mattered to her mom was having some quiet time while her daughter went to play elsewhere. I'm still mad about it. Can you tell? :glare:

I'm so sorry!

Do you have more than one bathroom? Could you limit the sick child to a separate bathroom from the rest of the family?

Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. Sick child should not touch doorknobs or get her own drinks from the fridge. Best of luck that she's the only one who gets it!

I'm so sorry to hear that. I am praying she is the ONLY one in your family to suffer with it.

Remember that alcohol hand gel kills lots of germs BUT not stomach flu germs. So be sure to use soap and water. Remember that many household cleaners kill lots of germs BUT not the stomach flu. Things you can use to disinfect the house include freshly opened and freshly mixed bleach, Lysol III spray, and cleaners like Virkon and VitalOxide. You can also use a UV wand on things that are hard to clean with those chemicals.

Some things that might keep the others from getting it:

1) Put away the hand towel in the bathroom and use paper towels.

2) Use the dishwasher (not the sink) to wash dishes. Better yet, use disposable things. When one of my kids is throwing up, when that child is ready for a little food, I serve it on a "fun" paper plate and drinks come either in paper cups or in single-serve things like little Gatorades or Capri Suns or juice boxes.

3) Keep the child isolated in his or her room. We let the sick child use a small video player and we put a little table in the bedroom for putting food trays on. Similarly, we assign one bathroom to that child and ask the other kids to try to use another restroom for a few days.

4) That sick child is NOT allowed to touch other people's food for about 3 or 4 days after feeling better. So, if it is her turn to make lunch I make it for her.

Thank you, this is really helpful. Especially considering that I just went around and used hand sanitizer (the only thing that I have on hand) to de-germ the door knobs. I'm heading out to get the big guns!

where do you get Lysol III spray?? I hve not heard of that...and I think it might be my next best friend....if I can find it and if I can afford it.

It's actually the current normal Lysol spray. The old formula will say on the back label near the top in little letters "Lysol II" and it might be on shelves still, but in stores with high turnover, all the cans should now say "Lysol III" on the back; it's the current formula. Realize you have to really soak surfaces (door knobs, keyboards, remotes, phones) for it to do the trick (I think it has to stay wet something like 10 minutes, read the label under "disinfection"). I have no idea if generics are like Lysol II or Lysol III. I'd go with the name brand Lysol III in this case.

Also, be sure to remember bathroom surfaces such as the pump to the hand soap, the cold and hot knobs to the water, the flusher knob, and the floor around that poor toilet.

I'd also be leery of toothbrushes left out. When you flush, tiny particles of whatever is in the toilet bowl are aerosolized and can land many feet away from the toilet. You might want to throw out (or boil) the current toothbrushes and then keep the new ones out of the line of sight of the toilet. It helps to train the kids to put the lid down during a flush.

Also, watch how your children share the toothpaste. Often little kids will take the community tube of toothpaste and wipe it across all their toothbrush bristles. While they are young, you might want to let each one have their own toothbrush -- and use paper cups for rinsing.

Edited by Bassoonaroo

Thank you, this is really helpful. Especially considering that I just went around and used hand sanitizer (the only thing that I have on hand) to de-germ the door knobs. I'm heading out to get the big guns!

I try to keep "the big guns" around in the house. We always have bleach because we always bleach our kitchen linens and the fleece that lines the rat cage. So I always have a fresh bottle around.

The Lysol is only a few bucks at the Walmart or drug store. You can even buy small cans (good idea before staying in a hotel -- my family thinks I am nuts spraying down the touchy surfaces such as knobs, remotes, handles and flushers) of it.

The VitalOxide is at National Allergy Supply (website) and the Virkon is hard to find (another name is Rely On or something) but I found a small (about 2 cup) powder concentrate mixture on ebay once.

If you have the Lysol and bleach you're probably good to go.

Since I started using these things to clean (as well as isolating the child and such...) a tummy bug would race through all of us. But for the last eight or nine years, we've never had more than one of us have it at a time.

I would say something to your friend. This to me is just so inconsiderate and well...mean. :glare:

This makes me crazy too! It seems to happen around major holidays more often as well. I guess these people just don't want to miss whatever activity, and maybe they don't think it is a big deal. Ugh!

Probiotics and apple cider vinegar would be good to give the entire household. I also put everyone on a bland diet and load em up with liquids just in case.

My kids always have their own toothpaste. I soak toothbrushes weekly in mouthwash and monthly in boiling water. If they get sick they all get new toothbrushes asap and they are soaked in mouthwash when not in use and boiled nightly. I always use dixie cups so they are immediately thrown out and paper towels instead of handtowels. I make sure to bleach everything including soap dispenser, trash can, toothpaste tubes, knobs etc. Then I Lysol everything after the bleach is dry.

I hate it when people are that inconsiderate. I'm so sorry your DD is sick and hope the rest of you are able to stay germ-free.

I know that's a long shot with tummy bugs, though.

And I would definitely call the "friend"...

The best site ever for stomach flu information is http://www.stopthestomachflu.com. That is where I learned that people with stomach bugs remain contagious up to two weeks after they feel better. :blink: That is why they spread so fiercely--most people follow that old 24-hour rule and end up making everyone around them sick.

So, keep up the disinfecting for a few days after she's better. I agree with the PP who said that after she started doing these things, the tummy bug didn't always go through the entire family. I had a nasty one a year or so ago and only three of the five of us caught it. I think that was a new record! LOL

:iagree:

Is there any chance that the little girl had a bad reaction to something she ate, rather than a virus? That's the only reason I can think of that would make me not want to throttle the other mother.

This was my thought as well, since you said it was not the norm for this family.

Never heard of that spray nine. Gotta get it.

I don't really like the smell of Lysol. I do use bleach though because we do always have it on hand for laundry and it's cheap.

Another health food store purchase you might want to consider was ViruStop. It's good to take when someone in the house is ill.

Ugh.

I think I'd let the friend know too. I'd have to take a couple of deep breaths to clear my anger then I would kindly talk to her and let her know that it did spread. I'd even blame myself for being such a germophobe: "So, Cruella, I wanted to talk to you about something. It's sort of difficult but I need to ask you a favor. You see, my least favorite thing about parenting is dealing with puke. My kids never make it to the toilet and little Angel tends to vomit repeatedly with diseases. So, I want to avoid the stomach flu as much as possible. Well, last Sunday when Angel went to your house she had such a fun time. But, by Tuesday AM she was throwing up. I am pretty sure she caught it at your house. As much as my dd loves being there and I love having your kids over, could you please tell me when someone in your house has been sick in the last week or so. That way I can make a decision, based on what I have planned for the week. I know throw up is not a big deal to you, but it is to me and it really stops our family in its tracks. I need your help with this, Cruella."

Something like that.

Apparently it wasn't -- Shannon posted that her dd is sick now.

I would be so angry with the "friend!"

Me too! I kept reading. That was really inconsiderate. Luckily we are the family that barely gets sick, but I don't let them go play with others, or take them places when they are feeling bad. I have an immune compromised friend and it is really hard when people are like that, and just don't think of others.

Get sambucol and give it to everyone. We've managed to keep a couple of nasty bugs contained to one person by doing this. It was suggested by my doc two years ago when my youngest came down with swine flu two days before a cross country road trip. It worked!

This is the first I have heard of Sambucol. I am leery and cynical of most herbal remedies, but I just looked this up, and the NCBI has some studies showing how effective and how may anti-viral properties it contains. I am going to pick some up.

This is the first I have heard of Sambucol. I am leery and cynical of most herbal remedies, but I just looked this up, and the NCBI has some studies showing how effective and how may anti-viral properties it contains. I am going to pick some up.

I just looked on amazon...they have a bunch of different formulas...is one better than another? I would LOVE to get some before we take a 2 week trip....just to have it on hand. thanks.

I just looked on amazon...they have a bunch of different formulas...is one better than another? I would LOVE to get some before we take a 2 week trip....just to have it on hand. thanks.

The only difference seems to be the dosing. I am going to Walgreens tomorrow since they carry it. I am going to buy the kids and adults. The product website showed different dosing for preventative which could be used for your trip, and another dosing for when you have symptoms. Medline has info about it as well. Apparently the studies showed that people who took a placebo felt better in 6-7 days and people who took Sambucol felt better in 2 days. That is very promising. I don't know that there is enough science that I would take it all season long though.

:iagree:

Is there any chance that the little girl had a bad reaction to something she ate, rather than a virus? That's the only reason I can think of that would make me not want to throttle the other mother.

We have friends, whose kids have the weakest stomachs in the world. They puke all the time.

Occasionally I get freaked but most times it is nothing with them.

and I saw later that the op's kid got sick. yeah I'd be upset.

I have one that while he is a healthy athletic kid, I swear he picks up every stinking germ from people and gets sick. I definitely try to keep him home when he is sick.

Edited by ZooRho

We're at 48 hours without signs of it! I am using a lot of the advice I received here, so thank you all. At this point I am cautiously optimistic, with an emphasis on cautiously.

Thank goodness -- Since your dd developed symptoms so quickly, I'm really hoping the rest of you are OK because no one else is sick yet!

so what have you done...just curious as to what has been working for you.

Apple cider vinegar for the healthy, probiotics for all, arsenicum album for dd, Lysol, quarantine, and lots of hand washing.

We had her in my room the first day, but yesterday we let her come out on the love seat. To make lemonade out of lemons, we had a family Christmas movie marathon. It ended up being a fun day.