Menu

Tell me about your part-time job

I don't work there anymore, but I used to have a part-time job working in a group home for autistic children. The pay wasn't great, but places like that are always hiring, and if you have a decent amount of patience, you're basically guaranteed job security forever. I worked every other weekend, and two early morning shifts each week. My dd was still young then, but I would have had plenty of time leftover to hs.

I also worked on a helpline for the mentally ill for a few months. I did it from home. Basically, you just set aside a certain amount of time, and calls are routed to your phone. All I had to do was listen and be supportive. It didn't require any special training, and the pay was decent. The best part was that when I wasn't on the phone, I could do whatever I wanted- reading, playing with dd, whatever.

I don't work there anymore, but I used to have a part-time job working in a group home for autistic children. The pay wasn't great, but places like that are always hiring, and if you have a decent amount of patience, you're basically guaranteed job security forever. I worked every other weekend, and two early morning shifts each week. My dd was still young then, but I would have had plenty of time leftover to hs.

I also worked on a helpline for the mentally ill for a few months. I did it from home. Basically, you just set aside a certain amount of time, and calls are routed to your phone. All I had to do was listen and be supportive. It didn't require any special training, and the pay was decent. The best part was that when I wasn't on the phone, I could do whatever I wanted- reading, playing with dd, whatever.

How do you go about finding such a job though? Did you just hear about it? Find it online?

I read recently that the old-fashioned way of finding a job just doesn't exist anymore (want ads, door-knocking, filling out applications in person even!).

I've started baking bread for local festivals and farmer's markets. It's not a huge money-maker, but it helps a bit. I can choose which festivals/markets to participate in and so scheduling is up to me. I enjoy meeting people who are interested in good bread. Our area has a dearth of bread bakeries (not even a Panera!), so bread-lovers are usually happy to find a baker.

One thing about selling perishable items is that they must be made and sold within a short amount of time. Friends who sell handmade jewelry can make their items in their "spare time" and don't have as much last minute rushing around.

Seems like there are some older threads about part-time, from-home work that might give you some ideas.

HTH!

Can you sew? I tailor clothing, my specialty being tailoring for people with physical disabilities. I also make purses, kids' clothing and other specialty/gift items.

I was a paralegal before I was a homeschooler, so I have thought about trying to start a freelance paralegal service for local lawyers that can't afford a full-time paralegal. I'm kind of bad about letting jobs like that take over my life, though, so I don't really think it's a good idea for me right now.

I became a TypeWell transcriber for deaf/hard of hearing students, but it took me 2.5 years of working on a campus before I got connected with working remote from home. Might be worth a thought if there's any way you could get some in-person experience before going remote (you could get the needed experience in a year or so).

I also sell Uppercase Living (home parties/direct sales). I don't make extra money myself, but know there are many in our company that do. Other direct sales options include Pampered Chef, CAbi Clothes, Longaberger Baskets and Pottery, Tupperware, Tastefully Simple, etc. There are lots of them.

I tutor part-time, and that has been very enjoyable for me.

I used to do it all freelance (pays WAY better than through a company), but I am doing most of it through a company right now (way easier, and allows me to save my "best" & creative energies for my own children).

The pay is not awesome, but much better than minimum wage.

My hs'ing girlfriend is an occupational therapist who covers for vacations for the full-time OT's; she gets paid quite well on a per diem basis. (We sometimes swap childcare, too.)

How do you go about finding such a job though? Did you just hear about it? Find it online?

I read recently that the old-fashioned way of finding a job just doesn't exist anymore (want ads, door-knocking, filling out applications in person even!).

Every job in this field that I've had (I've worked in three different group homes total at different points during the last ten years) I got through a newspaper ad. In our local paper, there are always at least four or five companies looking for DSPs or PCs. And yes, I then went and filled out an application and had an interview. Very old-fashioned, I know. :tongue_smilie:

You do need a lot of patience for these jobs, though. They're stressful. You need the ability to deal with a lot of screaming children or adults, and the houses I've worked in are chronically understaffed, and you have to deal with the weekly "Hey, can you fill this shift?" calls.

I also sell Uppercase Living (home parties/direct sales). I don't make extra money myself, but know there are many in our company that do. Other direct sales options include Pampered Chef, CAbi Clothes, Longaberger Baskets and Pottery, Tupperware, Tastefully Simple, etc. There are lots of them.

Hey, I live in the town where that one is based! Know tons of people that work at the "control center." :D I've heard they're a great company.

I work in the medical records department of a hospital. I work evenings, 4 days a week. You might want to check the job line of your local hospital or medical center. There are all kinds of non-clinical support jobs and many are pt or per diem. Per diem jobs are great if you don't need the benefits because the hourly wage is higher. The downside is that it can be inconsistent. However, in our department, per diems will know how long they'll be needed (like right now, we have two per diems who will be helping out for the next few months).

Can't hurt to check it out. :001_smile:

I work part time for our school district with special education students. You do need a lot of patience but I would agree, if you are good then you will have pretty good job security. They don't cut special ed too much, at least in our district.

The best part of being with the district is that I get all the school holidays and summers off too, with pay. They just deduct a little each month and I get the same check all year round.

It's actually a great job and I really love it. I started at 6.5 hours a day but I have reduced my hours to 3.5 a day four days a week and that is really working well.

Hope that helps. I would check with the personal department of your school district and see what's open. The best way to get your foot in the door is to start as a substitute for the regular aides. That way you can also get an idea of what types of programs are offered in your school district and which class you like the best. Once regular staff know you, it's pretty easy to get in once there is an opening. Especially with special ed kids there is a need for consistency so I know we hire the subs that we have worked with before and we know are good with the kids.

Good Luck!

I used to clean houses and it was good money and exercise. If we needed the money and I had the time/childcare I'd do it again! Let friends/family know you're looking and available and word gets around. I was cleaning 4 houses at one time and doing new construction cleaning for a homebuilder. It worked really well!

I've always tried several home businesses selling different products. I've done Mary Kay, Discovery Toys, Usborne Books and I sell Thirty One now but just for the discount. :) I've never made any money with any of these. Too much time and effort for too little reward.

I have a couple of part-time jobs that help pay the bills.

I'm a freelance writer, and just landed an excellent long-term position as staff writer for a successful local web designer.

I also make cakes and other festive food items (caramel apples, candy pops, etc.) and paint faces for children's birthday parties and corporate events. I have my first wedding cake on New Year's Eve and I am nervous! :)

I love what I do, and it's easy enough to flex homeschooling around my commitments with these jobs.

Good luck! I've heard a good site to check for work-at-home jobs is http://www.ratracerebellion.com.

I work for a nearby home business owner. I work in the warehouse and do light bookkeeping, editing and basically whatever needs to be done. It is less than 5 minutes away and I live in the country, so this is ideal! I work an extra 5-8 hours a month above the 4 hours a week a few times a year for a little extra paycheck boost.

I work all by myself usually and I really enjoy the peace and quiet!

Lisaj, mom to 5

Hey, I live in the town where [Tastefully Simple] is based! Know tons of people that work at the "control center."

I've always tried several home businesses selling different products. I've done Mary Kay, Discovery Toys, Usborne Books and I sell Thirty One now but just for the discount. :) I've never made any money with any of these. Too much time and effort for too little reward.

I think the ones who work in the home offices ("control centers") of the direct sales companies probably make more money than the average rep! Not true in all cases, of course, because I know some who do very well -- but as stated, LOTS of time/effort to create any kind of financial reward. I do it because I love the product, and it's not hard to stay active with my company.

I work for a friend of mine who is a tax accountant.

I work for her from early December (sending out worksheets, reminders, and doing some corporate things that have to be in by the end of the calendar year) through early May. During tax season, I assist with tax filings and things like that. I can do simple returns on my own and help her with the bigger, more complicated ones.

I make around $300 a week for 6 months .. and then I'm unemployed for 6 months! ;)

But it works well with my school schedule, as she works from her home and I can make my own hours (get there early and leave late, etc.)

I walk dogs with a company. If you can spare a couple of hours around lunch time, you can make about $200 a week (I work more.)

I am not homeschooling right now, but will next year; while I will cut back my hours, I probably will continue.

I also babysat for a NICU nurse who worked 14 hour shifts. It was once a week, and theorectically I could have made about $520 a month (but sometimes her hubby was home for part of that and they didn't need me as much). I would like to find one overnight job next year.

Also, you can do dog day care. A couple of pooches in your home--you advertise on Craigslist or in your local paper and the vet's office. Offer 3 daily, 20 minute walks plus care, in your home, for $50-75 a week.

I tutor in with an after school company that works for the NCLB act, the programs have to be offered to low performing schools to all at risk students. The pay is good for the time 2 afternoons a week. 2.5 hours a day.

it is sort of short lived just through the school year. I found my job through Craigslist.

I sell gluten-free baked goods at a local farmer's market (seasonal). I also sell photography through a local gallery and do photography jobs for some local productions as well as the occasional family photo shoot. I'm in the process of setting up my Etsy store (I have amazing timing, setting up after Christmas and all :tongue_smilie:) and am making arrangements to do 20-minute graduation photo shoots.

I work part-time for the cable company. I chose evenings 6pm-10pm (20hrs/week). I love it and it works beautifully with homeschooling. I have all day to get thing done and go places. The pay is great and we get a big cable/internet/phone package for free. We also have a corporate membership to all the NYC museums and cultural centers, plus lots of other perks and discounts. I initially only wanted some extra cash to pay for the kids' extra activities, but it ended up being so much more. And it's fun!

I work part-time for the cable company. I chose evenings 6pm-10pm (20hrs/week). I love it and it works beautifully with homeschooling. I have all day to get thing done and go places. The pay is great and we get a big cable/internet/phone package for free. We also have a corporate membership to all the NYC museums and cultural centers, plus lots of other perks and discounts. I initially only wanted some extra cash to pay for the kids' extra activities, but it ended up being so much more. And it's fun!

That sounds wonderful!

I work at a local private Classical Christian school teaching art. My degree in Fine Arts (Concentration: Painting) qualified me, and because it is a private school I can teach without certification. I teach 1.5 days per week in the classroom, plus I have an after school art program at the school for students, beginner adults and homeschoolers.

This all works well for me, as I can still teach my logic stage dd full time. I also love it that our hs schedule can be planned to coincide with the schedule of our school, allowing us to have the same time off together for holidays, at Christmas break, spring break and during the summer months. And I am able to work in my chosen field, teaching a subject that I'm very passionate about.

Because I have so many students (107 total), it can get really busy at certain times of the year, but over all it is a perfect fit for our family and for me. Dd does independent work at home while I'm gone (we have a grandma at home with us), and we have our schedule planned out so that my time with her is on the 3 1/2 days I'm at home, during the evenings or on a Saturday if need be.

Do you have an area of expertise that you could offer as a teacher? If so, you might check around with private schools, or you could get set up to offer a class or two to homeschool families that need enrichment courses, or you could do tutoring.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I do general transcription from home. It's mainly interviews, podcasts, lectures, forums, etc. I work about 15-20 hours a week while my kids are napping and at night. I am an independent contractor and am responsible for my own taxes. I currently contract with one company as it provides enough work at a fair rate, but if needed I would try and get on with other companies as well.

It has worked out very, very well for me in this time of my life, and is truly one of the few, legit work-from-home jobs that I've come across.

I work 5 hours a day, 5 days a week... 8 am to 1 pm, as an administrative assistant for our county office of education. My boss is really flexible too, so I can cut hours short one day for a field trip, etc., as long as I make them up by the end of the week. My mom watches the kids, and does fun educational activities with them, while I am at work. Then I have all afternoon and evening with them. Works out pretty well. My pay is good, and I have benefits. DH has his own benefits, and covers the kids' insurance. I get 8 weeks off per year, and am off for all "school" holidays.

Before this, I worked at a grocery store as a checker. I worked late evenings and had all day with the kids. Grocery stores often have excellent benefit packages and decent pay. I didn't like having an ever-shifting schedule though, which often included working holidays.

I work for the Y in membership services. I'm also a personal trainer and meet with clients by appointment, and will be teaching a group ex strength training class two or three days a week, starting in January. My work schedule is made around my husband's schedule and, if there is a conflict (for instance, I met with a client every morning this week) the kids just come to work with me. They've become quite a fixture there and the regulars all know them. (ill socialized as they are :D )