Menu

Would you let your 7yo ds have a TV in his room?

Would you allow your 7yo ds to have a tv in his bedroom?  

1. 1. Would you allow your 7yo ds to have a tv in his bedroom?

• Yes, a free tv...how cool!
    • No way, he is only 7!
    • Other

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't have TVs in the kids rooms nor do we ever plan on having TVs in the kids rooms. They can watch in the den or sometimes in our bedroom. I would, personally, probably direct the giver to something different - depending on the cost of the TV, maybe an iPod touch or Nintendo DS type hand-held device or something non-tech.

The giver is my brother and he already has the tv (says he didn't buy it directly for ds and I believe him). We only have one other tv in the house (in the family room).

No way. No how.

No way on God's green Earth.

Uh-uh.

Nix-Nein, Frankenstein (as we used to say when we were kids)

Nopey, nopey, noperson (as I tell my kids now, because I ooze maturity from every pore)

:lol:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

There have been all kinds of studies linking children having a TV in their bedrooms with all sorts of negative outcomes- obesity, poor grades, poor sleep, and even a lower likelihood of completing a college degree by age 26.

The giver is my brother and he already has the tv (says he didn't buy it directly for ds and I believe him). We only have one other tv in the house (in the family room).

Ok, I see. Which brings me to what I was thinking too ...

No. I know my son would be watching it all the time. Would your brother be upset if you put it somewhere else?

Do you have a place in the house where it could be more of a "family" gift from your brother, so that your ds could have a TV to watch one of his programs while someone else is watching something else on the main TV, but the TV is not in his room?

I wouldn't, but in general we use our rooms for sleeping only (and some reading); most of our play and leisure are done in common areas.

We don't have televisions in the rooms of adults either, though. Same premise: bedrooms are primarily for sleeping.

I'd gladly take the tv for a playroom or den :)

i let my 2 boys have tv's in their rooms and i was sorry that i did. i could control it when they were young, but eventually i had to remove them. tv's were going on after they were suppose to be sleeping etc... i have netflix. they are savy enough to get netflix on the wii etc... and i found out afterward what they watched. also, you can get online (somehow) with wii and they can look at anything. its just really hard to control. also, it cuts down on family time when they are in their rooms for hours on end with all the entertainment. i took the wii out and xbox. they have to play it in our family room now. ;)

OP here...I have always said no tv in the kids' rooms, BUT...

My brother is a very generous guy and he really wants to give ds the tv. It is a 22 inch flat screen! When brother asked ds what he wanted for Christmas, this is what ds asked for. My brother would love to do this for him.

We do not have cable and only stream Netflix through the Wii. Therefore, ds would only be able to watch DVDs on the tv in his room.

I would like to have another tv in our house, as there are times that it would be nice for the kids to watch something while I get to watch my own thing (I rarely watch tv). I like the idea of asking my brother if the gift could be put somewhere else in the house, but I actually think he wouldn't like that. He wants to get ds a tv for his room because this is specifically what ds asked for. It wouldn't be the same if it was a tv for somewhere else in the house.

I guess I just hate to tell my brother no. It is such a kind thing to offer...it feels weird for some reason to reject it.

No way. No how.

Uh-uh.

Nopey, nopey, noperson (as I tell my kids now, because I ooze maturity from every pore)

:iagree:

That said we are a very limited screen time family. We only have our tv on for four hours a month total so I'm outside the realm of normal with that. I'd probably get rid of the one TV we have but I would miss our occasional movie or Doctor Who night.

I think it depends. Do you have cable or satellite service?

DS 14 and DS 11 have small TVs in their rooms, but since we don't have any cable or satellite, they can't watch regular programming on them. This really limits their TV time. DD has a DVD player, and can watch movies we own or check some out from the library. DS has a game system hooked up to his, but rarely uses it.

We do have Netflix (streaming only) but the kids can't access it from their rooms.

I think it depends. Do you have cable or satellite service?

DS 14 and DS 11 have small TVs in their room, but since we don't have any cable or satellite, they can't watch regular programming on them. This really limits their TV time. DD has a DVD player, and can watch movies we own or check some out from the library. DS has a game system hooked up to his, but rarely uses it.

We do have Netflix (streaming only) but the kids can't access it from their rooms.

I think we were typing at the same time. We have no cable and stream Netflix through the Wii. If we allowed him to have the tv, it would have to be for DVDs only.

nope, we are not letting the kids have a tv in their rooms while in our house.

So, my birthday is the end of Jan. I really wanted one of those TV/VCR combos for my birthday to take to college in the fall (Problem with Christmas and birthday so close:glare:)

I was really hopeful, until the morning of my birthday. No TV sized box. I opened my gifts. My Mom and Dad had gotten me a framed dolphin poster(it is my favorite animal after all:bigear:) In the middle of the poster is a sticky note saying that it will magically turn into a TV/VCR on the day I move to college:lol: They wouldn't even cave for the last 9 months while I was at home.

Funny thing is, the TV is long gone, but I still have the framed dolphin poster hanging in my house!

Nicole

One of the best things my parents did for me was to say "NO" to a T.V. in my room, despite my whining: "But allll of my frieeennds have one!"

As a teenager, I had a phone in my room and a television with cable. My parents would complain all the time. "You don't spend any time with the family. You're always in your room."

Sorry Mom, but this puzzles you how? It certainly does not help to build family relationships.

DS6 has a TV in his room, but it's only to play older video games that he loves (it's an old 27" tube TV), which he only does with permission, and to watch educational stuff ("The World At War", "The Universe", etc.). It's not hooked up to cable or an antenna. FWIW my kids also get mass amounts of screen time, but it's all computer, educational, or movies (right now we're watching "Spirited Away"). He's not overweight and is quite active and way ahead academically, so our situation may not be much help.

My brother is a very generous guy and he really wants to give ds the tv. It is a 22 inch flat screen! When brother asked ds what he wanted for Christmas, this is what ds asked for. My brother would love to do this for him.

We do not have cable and only stream Netflix through the Wii. Therefore, ds would only be able to watch DVDs on the tv in his room.

I would like to have another tv in our house, as there are times that it would be nice for the kids to watch something while I get to watch my own thing (I rarely watch tv). I like the idea of asking my brother if the gift could be put somewhere else in the house, but I actually think he wouldn't like that. He wants to get ds a tv for his room because this is specifically what ds asked for. It wouldn't be the same if it was a tv for somewhere else in the house.

I guess I just hate to tell my brother no. It is such a kind thing to offer...it feels weird for some reason to reject it.

Does your brother have kids yet?

I would very lovingly thank him for his incredible generosity, sincerely. Then I would ask him if he would prefer to exchange it for (insert something else your ds wants a great deal) or let it be in a communal area. Let him decide. But you shouldn't change your value due to his feelings.

I should also say (since I made myself seem so very anti-TV :tongue_smilie:) that we LOVE the TV here. We love, love, love it! We love Star Wars and Harry Potter and Mythbusters and so many other wonderful things. And we have a Wii and an X-Box, for heaven's sake. I just won't let the kids have a TV in their rooms.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Considering that my kids and I don't watch TV in the first place, I'm thinking it's a "no"!

Besides, my kid is a vidiot, and the kids' room doesn't have a square inch of space to spare.

I think I would talk Bro into giving the TV to someone else. Maybe a charity.

probably not till adulthood. None of mine have televisions in their rooms

:iagree:absolutely not here. We have a tv in our room but my kids can have one when they move out We don't even have cable here, so a tv on its own (w/out streaming or a DVD player) would be useless anyway.

We don't have TVs in the kids rooms nor do we ever plan on having TVs in the kids rooms. They can watch in the den or sometimes in our bedroom. I would, personally, probably direct the giver to something different - depending on the cost of the TV, maybe an iPod touch or Nintendo DS type hand-held device or something non-tech.

:iagree:

No, I wouldn't put the TV in his room. I would let ds accept the gift, but put it in the playroom or wherever ds spends a lot of time. I'd explain to the brother that it will get more use in the playroom and that ds can move it to his room when he's a little older if he wants to.

Here is my point of view from the cheap seats.

I never let the kids have TV's in their rooms. The reason is because as kids get older they tend to separate from the family more. I don't want us all to go into our own corners and use technology as a way to create distance. I also don't let them have computers or phones until they can buy them with their own money. We do have more than one TV, but the other one is in the playroom where they can play video games or watch a movie with their friends, yet anyone can join them because it is family space. If I didn't have the space, I still wouldn't let them have them in their rooms. Their bedrooms are tech free zones.

I also want them to move out someday. :D I look at some of the kids I know and they have every possible comfort. When I moved out of my parents home I couldn't afford cable TV and my end tables were cardboard boxes with pretty sheets over them. But I was thrilled. Nowadays kids have so much that they take it for granted and look at those things as needed instead of luxuries. If I give my kids cable, telephones, Internet and computers in their rooms, as well as free food they might never want to leave. :D They also won't have anything to look forward to.

We have usually had an extra tv in a playroom or second living room that was hooked up to a DVD player, but not cable or anything else. We don't have any extra living space now, so it's in middle dd's room. The kids gather in there to watch a movie once in a while when dh and I are watching a movie.

We're the kind of family that puts out a List at Christmas. The kids are free to ask for anything they wish, but they all know the adults confer before anything is bought LOL.

Last year my nephews and son jointly asked for an Xbox. They were welcome to put it on their list, but I made sure they knew that if they received it ... there were conditions. My brother bought them the Xbox, fully aware of the conditions and the boys' acceptance of those conditions. He wasn't thrilled, but he understood and deferred to me (the parent/guardian).

I know it's weird to ask your brother, so maybe you can just say: "Hey, you're gift is so thoughtful and generous but before you buy it I want you to know that our house rule is that all televisions go in the common areas." You're not so much asking, just giving a heads up so he can decide whether to buy the tv on those conditions. That is, if you're leaning that way (it doesn't seem like you are, but thought I'd throw it out there!)

My 6 year old asked for her own show pony. She really wants it, ... but ya know, she's not gonna get it LOL. And she'll still like anything else we buy her. Sometimes people need to be reminded of that :) Maybe a show pony is in her future, but it's not happenin' this year. A 7 year old asking for a tv could fall in the same category IMO.

ETA: maybe sell it to your brother as a two-fer ... consider it a gift for your whole family, not just your DS. DS will still benefit from it wherever it is in the house; so, too, would you. Win, win?

Edited by eternalknot

Had you talked to ds about it before he asked your brother? If he knows you have a no-tv policy and tried to get Uncle to get around it, you can't cave. If he didn't know that (or you had no policy), maybe ask him why he wants it. That answer may help make your decision.

Here we only own one tv, in the living room, so I don't think it's occurred to dd's that one in another room is even a possibility.

I don't see it as rejecting the gift. Is he really going to tell you that son can only have the TV if it is in his room? That isn't really a gift, but a way to force his perspective on you as the parents. I see putting it in a common room as a great compromise, but it is okay if you want to put it in your son's room. You are the parent and get to decide no matter what this board, or your brother wants.

Does your brother have kids yet?

I would very lovingly thank him for his incredible generosity, sincerely. Then I would ask him if he would prefer to exchange it for (insert something else your ds wants a great deal) or let it be in a communal area. Let him decide. But you shouldn't change your value due to his feelings.

Yes, he does have kids (4 of them!). My brother has done very well financially and has always been good to my kids. As a matter of fact, for Christmas this year, he is giving 3 of his kids iPhones (the 4th is only 2yo) and is giving my kids their old iPod Touches after Christmas. Since the iPod Touches won't be given to my kids until after Christmas, he also bought them "regular" Christmas gifts (not sure what though). He is the guy who gave my ds a DS Lite when he was only 6yo. He also gave my dd both a little tricycle AND a battery-operated ride-on toy when she was only 1yo. He really loves to give...and he has the ability to give.

But I agree that I shouldn't change my values to spare his feelings. I am trying to figure out how to say No (I'm really bad at saying that word!). I hate to hurt his feelings when he is trying to do something nice.

No way. No how.

Uh-uh.

:iagree: My vote would be "other" because we don't plan on having televisions in the kids' rooms ever.

Yes, he does have kids (4 of them!). My brother has done very well financially and has always been good to my kids. As a matter of fact, for Christmas this year, he is giving 3 of his kids iPhones (the 4th is only 2yo) and is giving my kids their old iPod Touches after Christmas. Since the iPod Touches won't be given to my kids until after Christmas, he also bought them "regular" Christmas gifts (not sure what though). He is the guy who gave my ds a DS Lite when he was only 6yo. He also gave my dd both a little tricycle AND a battery-operated ride-on toy when she was only 1yo. He really loves to give...and he has the ability to give.

But I agree that I shouldn't change my values to spare his feelings. I am trying to figure out how to say No (I'm really bad at saying that word!). I hate to hurt his feelings when he is trying to do something nice.

He sounds very generous. I wonder if you think he might get hurt feelings because maybe his kids have TVs in their rooms? Maybe it seems like a judgment of his parenting?

Did he actually specify that it was for your DS's bedroom? I don't see anything at all wrong with accepting it graciously and then putting it where you want it in your home. It can still belong to your DS, just in a common area. Honestly, if he insists that it is for his room, that's crossing a line. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)